PDA

View Full Version : Cervelo R3 vs R5 - any advice on one vs the other?

Kyle h
01-19-2020, 02:49 AM
My wife has an older Cannondale SuperSix that we’re looking to replace. We’ve got it narrowed down to an R5 or R3 in disc and the price difference between them is marginal at $600 between frame sets. Neither are in stock locally in her size so I’m wondering if anyone has gotten to ride the two back to back to compare. I’ve read up in the differences but hard to distinguish what is marketing and what’s actually substantial. Geo is well within her specs for either.

soulspinner
01-19-2020, 06:24 AM
My only thought is if she races get the r5 if not get the r3 and spend the 600 on wheels.

Kyle h
01-19-2020, 06:53 AM
My only thought is if she races get the r5 if not get the r3 and spend the 600 on wheels.

She does race, which is why we were leaning R5.

batman1425
01-19-2020, 08:28 PM
All of the cervelo 5's (R5, S5, P5) have a bit more aggressive geometry compared to the lower models. The R5 will feel a bit more racy and aggressive than the comparable R3.

Assuming both fit her... IMO, for a racer, the performance differences between the R3 and R5 are small relative to the value you could get in putting that $600 towards wheels, nicer finishing kit, etc.

Mark McM
01-20-2020, 07:16 AM
All of the cervelo 5's (R5, S5, P5) have a bit more aggressive geometry compared to the lower models. The R5 will feel a bit more racy and aggressive than the comparable R3.

That's only semi-true. The only real difference between the 5's geometries and the lower models is the head tube length. If you were to add spacers to the steerer to make up for difference in head tube length (adding spacers increases stack and decreases reach), then the 5's would have the exact same geometry as the lower models. So for the same rider fit position, the 5's would essentially handle the same. The 5's geometry just allows riders to set their handlebars a little lower.

BTW, this is similar to what Trek does with their H1 & H2 geometries: All the basic dimensions are the same between the two, except that the head tubes in the H1 geometry are shorter.

kppolich
01-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Do you have rim brake race wheels or components you want to move forward to the new frame?

If not, go disc and test ride both.