PDA

View Full Version : how about some more info in our profiles?

Ken Robb
01-05-2007, 11:44 AM
When a forumite asks for help/advice or offers something for sale I usually check to see where he lives and what other info is posted about jobs, hobbies, etc. This would help me respond accurately or decide if I could get over to see the items for sale, save shipping hassles, etc.

Many folks don't even post the towns in which they live and I don't know why. I can see that we wouldn't wan t to post home addresses, phone numbers, etc. for anyone to see but something like "Serotta Tech" in Cicero, IL. wouldn't reveal any threatening info would it?

1centaur
01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Well, I Googled you and got your picture and work address in the first hit, so you're fine with being easily discoverable, but those of us hiding from mobsters like to keep the mystery going.

I'm sure we have many reasons, rational and otherwise, for limiting our information here. I'd far rather hear a few than read more about Campy and Shimano.

BURCH
01-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I have noticed this and have actually tapered back how much info I had about myself. When I went to check forum member's profiles, they were usually empty or didn't have anything concrete. I started to feel like I had too much info and scrapped a lot of it.

Archibald
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But enough about me, what about you?

Ginger
01-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby ****, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

I've read resumes like this...

You left off "Consultant to the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and writer of childrens books"...

(serious.)

Louis
01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
I bat .400.

Lifetime? Wow.

Kevan
01-05-2007, 12:45 PM

but less wordy.

Ken, good idea, but do we want to encourage Sandy to add more about himself?

Too Tall
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
OK, ok sheesh.

Archibald...it's not your fault....it's not your fault...IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT ;)

swoop
01-05-2007, 12:47 PM
i can fart, burp, and sneeze at the same time and you know what? its true.. it does make you invisible for five seconds.

help me understand tic tacs, it's a candy? it's a mint? its a small broken tooth?
wintogreen lifesavers are so much better even if they are heavier.

pdxmech13
01-05-2007, 12:56 PM
you kill me :beer:

Bill Bove
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Formenter of revolutions, converter of virgins, wells dug...all around good guy.

Thanks for the laugh Archie :D

Ti Designs
01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Most of the people who work in the bike industry are in the federal witness protection program, or they are ex euro pros trying to lay low. Besides, isn't what you're asking for what myspace is all about?

old_school
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I breed prizewinning clams.

Whoa, I sell prize winning clams. We need to talk!

dave thompson
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I eat prizewinning clams! Send them all to me.

bostondrunk
01-05-2007, 01:17 PM
converter of virgins,

lol, now thats a career!
Followed closely by clam breeding..... :banana:

weisan
01-05-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.annonline.com/interviews/980223/biography.html

Hugh Gallagher was eighteen when his college application essay won first place in Scholastic Inc.'s high school writing contest in 1990.

His satiric personal statement was reprinted in Harper's magazine the year he began his studies at New York University. John Kennedy, Jr. spotted the essay in Harper's, contacted Gallagher, and after a beer together at the Whitehorse Tavern, passed the essay on to Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner.

This meeting led to two features at the venerable magazine for Gallagher, and the beginning of his writing career. Signing with the William Morris Agency at the age of nineteen, he went on to pursue various outlets for his talent. Recording a spoken word CD under the name "Hugh Brown Shu" on Gang of Seven Records (alongside such names as Spalding Gray and Wallace Shawn), the young artist turned his talents to the world of performance.

With several shows in downtown New York City and San Francisco, appearances on National Public Radio, KCRW of Los Angeles, as well as comedy Central, Gallagher became well known in the spoken word scene of the early Nineties. He continued with his journalism, with features in magazines such as Wired, Dirt Flash Art, and the Beastie Boys' Grand Royal, and went on to graduate from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in 1994.

A year of world travel inspired Hugh Gallagher to undertake his first novel, Teeth (1998, Pocket Books). A coming of age tale set in the global youth culture of the Nineties, Teeth was three years in the making.

Raised in Philadephia, Gallagher, 25, currently lives in New York City, and his college application essay - reprinted regularly and in constant circulation on the Internet - remains a classic to this day.

atmo
01-05-2007, 01:41 PM
i'm a lug whisperer -
i help lugs with their people problems atmo...

Kevan
01-05-2007, 01:44 PM
i'm a lug whisperer -
i help lugs with their people problems atmo...

your lug today?

Louis
01-05-2007, 01:51 PM
[url]Hugh Gallagher was eighteen when his college application essay won first place in Scholastic Inc.'s high school writing contest in 1990.

Once again, a hero of mine is unmasked as a fraud. First Shoeless Joe, then Mark McGwire, then Floyd Landis and now Archie. When will I learn? I don't want to be cynical, but I must protect my sensitive side...

atmo
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I must protect my sensitive side...

manet
01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
i can fart, burp, and sneeze at the same time...

careful with that skill, swoop. i have a pal that threw his
back out doing similar while using a urinal.

sspielman
01-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Check out that baby's mom.....Babies get all of the action.....

gt6267a
01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants.

so, you had two people protecting a village against an army of ants and you needed a glass of water? so sad. i could have done it with a pocket knife and a roll of duct tape. i wouldn't even need the duct tape but i'm kinda lazy by nature. kind of like naughty by nature, but it's just me sleeping on the couch.

this one time at water polo camp, i floated on eight water polo balls at once. i was so high out of the water people thought i was in the dead sea. which reminds me, if you are ten and happen to be in isreal with your family and your older sister picks a fight the morning you are going to visit the dead sea. say something like, "leg hair makes you look fat" she'll shave and make your week about 1/2 second after she gets in the water.

this one time at fat camp, i like totally snuck a marshmallow into my bunk hiding it in my enormous arm pit. that is when i discovered salty sweets. hmmmm. nothing like a chocolate covered salted marshmallow.

fierte_poser
01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
purveyor of fine hydraulic inseam devices(TM) and corinthian leather

shinomaster
01-05-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks man, I really really needed a laugh today. This provided several.