PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless

Basso69
01-18-2020, 01:06 PM
I am really sitting on the fence when it comes to tubeless tires. My Serotta has Campagnolo WTO 45. Right now I'm using Continental 4000. Thinking of switching to 5000TL. Anyone do the switch? Pro and cons?. Thanks

Gsinill
01-18-2020, 01:17 PM
I tried 5000TL on Mavic Open Pro UST Tubeless rims and it was literally impossible to mount the tires.
Might just be that particular combination but that did it for me especially since I don't see any major benefit for me and the way I ride.
No TL for me.

temeyone
01-18-2020, 01:25 PM
Tubeless is a godsend for MTB, and pretty amazing for CX, although tubular still rules there if you have the money to spend on it. For road, I'm less sold - nice tires plus good tubes are going to be as supple as the best tubeless available, without the hassle. That being said, having a puncture self-seal is pretty awesome.

CO_Hoya
01-18-2020, 01:44 PM
FWIW, some argument against tubeless for road was posted by Jan Heine a couple of years ago here (https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-trouble-with-road-tubeless/).

Certainly not an unbiased view.

bigbill
01-18-2020, 01:50 PM
Alright, another tubeless discussion. I just went out and checked the two tubes in my saddlebag and they've gone almost three years without dry rotting. That's how long I've been using tubeless on the road without a flat.

kppolich
01-18-2020, 02:06 PM
I used to ride GP4000S II's with latex tubes and then after moving to a bigger city with worse road conditions I went tubeless on my new bike the came with tubeless wheels.

Over 7,500 miles, no flats, and set aside 5 minutes every 3-4 months to check on the sealant. GP5000TL user here, fast tires obviously and zero flats for me.

Tip: Size up on the GP5000TL's from the current GP4000SIIs. For reference my old GP4000SII 700x25s were more like 28.5mm on my hed rims. I went with 700x28 GP5000TL's because they are true to size and don't ballon as much.

Happy Riding

doublenines
01-18-2020, 07:08 PM
Tubeless is the way to go*. [*I've never ridden tubulars though.]

Some combos are harder to mount than others (e.g., Fulcrum Racing 3’s and Hutchinson Fusions took over an hour vs less than 5 minutes for the Schwalbe Pro One’s) but you can't beat the peace of mind and running lo pressures that they bring. Been riding tubeless on mtb for over 10 years and on the road for four (maybe 5) years.

I’m thinking of mounting the GP5000’s for my 1st Tour of Battenkill this year. I like what I’ve been reading about them unless someone has other alternatives.

dem
01-18-2020, 07:24 PM
Below 65 psi, tubeless is great, nay, magical.

Above that.. you will eventually have an aerosol sprayer hose you down with goo. It is only a matter of time. Tubeless goo just doesn't seal up reliably @ 100 PSI in thin carcass skinny road tires.

Carry a Dynaplug or bacon strips.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2020, 06:43 AM
Tubeless is a godsend for MTB, and pretty amazing for CX, although tubular still rules there if you have the money to spend on it. For road, I'm less sold - nice tires plus good tubes are going to be as supple as the best tubeless available, without the hassle. That being said, having a puncture self-seal is pretty awesome.

Agree AND if you put sealant in your tubes..you get the
"having a puncture self-seal"....

I've had far less hassle with prepping and mounting a tubular than 'some' tubeless when I was in the trenches..PLUS, if ya DO use goop, and DO slice that tire..expect a sealant shower...And the difficulty of booting that sliced tire, wet as it will be.

fignon's barber
01-19-2020, 07:41 AM
Not a fan of tubeless. In reality, you're at the mercy of the sealant working to close the puncture when on the road. Most tubeless rims make it extremely difficult to mount tires and require very high pressure to seat the rim properly. When I ride, I like the simplicity of just carrying a tube and my 6 1/2 inch Silca pump (that I've used for almost 30 years) in my back pocket.

AngryScientist
01-19-2020, 08:04 AM
I'm not a believer in tubeless for high pressure road applications.

for those sweet wheels, i think you would notice an immediate ride quality increase if you swap to latex tubes and either vittoria or veloflex tires.

isaacneff
01-19-2020, 08:14 AM
I’ve had great luck with tubeless road (and mtb, not so much cyclocross). In my experience, most of the time the sealant will seal up a puncture.
Having a good rim/tire combo is key though.

pbarry
01-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Will Barlow Pass be compatible? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Edit: Overcame Sunday laziness and found the Enve page on recommended tires for hookless rims:
https://www.enve.com/en/hookless-tire-compatibility/

NoMoreParagon
01-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Will Barlow Pass be compatible? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Edit: Overcame Sunday laziness and found the Enve page on recommended tires for hookless rims:
https://www.enve.com/en/hookless-tire-compatibility/

Yeah I used them on ENVE.
The Barlow Pass are not the easiest to set up tubeless as the sidewalls are very porous hence you need a sealant with larger crystals. The only one which worked for me was Orange Enduranxe. And even with that it was hard.
Compass/RH in my humble view suffer too often from QC issue.
I found Panaracer to be way more reliable, easier to set up tubeless, lighter and more importantly cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeD
01-19-2020, 10:40 AM
I've had good luck with the Mavic UST tubeless rims and tires. Easy to mount, dismount, and air up. Had some spraying of sealant though, but I found that was at least partially caused by me not shaking the Orange Seal enough before injecting it into the tires (too thin). Haven't yet got a flat that required a tube or plug repair, but haven't sliced a tire from a piece of glass or metal either (i.e., I've only had small punctures). That includes my gravel and mountain bikes as well.

That said, even though I have tubeless wheels on my other road bike, I'm running tubes and non-tubeless tires with it and am not going to change. The one bike with the Mavic system came with UST wheels and tires, but it was initially set up with tubes when I bought it.