PDA

View Full Version : A Legend Fit for a Ride

dbrk
05-12-2004, 08:50 AM
I don't really know how many Legends I've owned, something like three or four, but none has ever really fit properly. Finally. This one is 59c-c x57tt, 41.5cs, 73hta/73.5sta, F1 threaded fork, just right for me. The color is better in person; a red Regal is on the way from e-richie to finish it off. This picture is post maiden-ride, about 50 miles on some of the real climbs around here. I am finally a happy Legend rider. Fills things out nicely.

dbrk

IXXI
05-12-2004, 08:57 AM
...and it would fit me too! If it ever has to go to a new home, I've got a hook all set up for it alongside a couple other Serotta bretheren.

Todd Owen
05-12-2004, 09:31 AM
As usual another beautiful bike that is not my size.... one question ...what stem and bars are on this steed. Looks awesome!

dirtdigger88
05-12-2004, 09:45 AM
It would fit me :beer: Great bike indeed! I can't wait to see your collection

Jason

dbrk
05-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Here's some lowdown on kit:
DA9spd STI/Rear der
Ultegra frt der
SRAM PC-69 chain
TA Zephyr cranks 46/36
TA Axxis bb
Nitto Technomic stem (nicely buried)
Nitto Noodle bars
Chorus Ti seatpost
Regal saddle
CPX33rims laced to Mavic 571 hubs, DA 12-27 cassette

I used to be sort of anti-Shimano for the levers but last year I started to use DA and it's perfectly fine. I prefer Chorus or Record (why spend the money?) but Shimano is just as good, just different, as far as I am concerned. The current support and compatibility issues gives neither company any edge. There is a Rivendell with DA 10spd bar ends coming along but I need that 10spd chain to get it to shift in the small cogs (I always try to make things work without regard to the official party line and often they do...).

If I lift the bike up while standing over I get a full inch underneath me: 85cm PBH and this 59 fits more like a 60 because of the OS toptube, which is, btw, a handsome thing. Ride is smoooooth, not stiff. Surprised and happy. I think the larger frame on the smaller human makes it gentler overall.

dbrk

va rider
05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Sweet ride, I love the colors. Would fit me, too.

If you ever have any older Serotta's you want to unload, call me first!

Congrats, it's nice to have a bike that really fits.

tch
05-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Is your highest gear? Did I read that right? Now I know that you are reputed to be a spinmeister and that you yourself say you don't ride that fast -- but that idea seems to have been repudiated by a few witnesses from this board. What am I missing? Even I would spin out a 46-12.... Illuminate us.

Keith A
05-12-2004, 11:48 AM
dbrk -- Glad to hear that this itch has finally been scratched. I know that you have been searching for the right one for a while and have at last found a keeper -- and a very nice looking one in my opinion. I've always liked the 1/2 paint & 1/2 natural Ti that Serotta uses.

Climb01742
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
douglas, is your red tape cinelli? i have that tape on the noodle bars on my mx leader. love the look and i love the meatier feel of the bars and tape. i never thought i'd be a fan of red tape, but on the right bike, it is sweet.

dbrk
05-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Is your highest gear? Did I read that right? Now I know that you are reputed to be a spinmeister and that you yourself say you don't ride that fast -- but that idea seems to have been repudiated by a few witnesses from this board. What am I missing? Even I would spin out a 46-12.... Illuminate us.

Since our move into the Bristol hills (and away from any of the lazy day flats around Canandaigua Lake), every ride includes big climbs and lots of rollers. There is a routine 3-6 mile climb back to the house and several of those routes are steep---hence the 36. With a 46 big ring I spend a lot of time in this ring when I think most folks around here would barely use their 52 or 53. But since there are no flats (basically...none) what's there to spin out? I mean how fast do you really want to descend? I'm happy descending about 50mph max and sure, I'll spin out on the descents...but I don't really care. It's the maximum use of the 46 in the hills that makes this a choice for me. As for fast or slow, well, I keep my own pace and seem to be able to keep up with most everyone I ride with. Some bikes have a 48, others a 50, and, yes, a few with a standard 53 big ring but those are for travelling out of town to the ride with the flatlanders. Spinning is good for you, takes the stress off your knees. I've reduced chainline problems and have a zillion useful gears. Who am I racing?

Yes, that is Cinelli red tape. Today I put on the red Regal from richie-issimo. Matches just right.

dbrk