PDA

View Full Version : Mayo Clinic

Plum Hill
01-15-2020, 04:18 PM
In particular, Rochester, Minn.
Has anyone dealt with them on problematic medical issues?
If so, was it a positive experience with positive results?

skiezo
01-15-2020, 04:43 PM
No personal experience but a great friend and ex Army Ranger that I served with was diagnosed with a rare type of blood cancer. The Clinic was only one of a few places that treated this rare cancer.
He had nothing but praise for the facility as well as the staff. He said the nurses were the best and were like his angels for the 7 months he was there.
10 years post and he is still above ground and flies there once a year for checkups.
Hope all turns out well and keep your spirits up.

JAGI410
01-15-2020, 05:18 PM
They did wonders for my aunt and her unique cancer. She's now cancer free thanks to them. Rochester is a neat city and Mayo is a nice facility.

Ralph
01-15-2020, 05:54 PM
They are a fantastic research hospital.

CNY rider
01-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Mayo in Rochester is a long way from upstate NY.
I have on occasion had patients go there, either because that's where they wanted to go for a second opinion, or because they have something so rare or diagnostically challenging that I have asked them to go there.
Neither the patients or I have ever been disappointed in the care provided there.
Even taking into account the travel difficulties and expense I can say with confidence that every patient I have sent would go back and do it again.
Mayo has earned their excellent reputation and they keep earning it every day. Many of the other "top names" don't stack up.

gasman
01-15-2020, 06:13 PM
They are simply the best in many areas of medicine especially if you are dealing with something unusual or rare.
Friends who have gone there have nothing but praise for their care.

Physicians I know that trained there are excellent.

kppolich
01-15-2020, 08:04 PM
Mayo (Rochester) is the best in many areas of many reasons. I have a few friends who live in Rochester, MN and also currently work or have worked at Mayo in the past.

2 items worth pointing out.
1.) Mayo treats their guests the same way Disney does. In fact, they have training based on Disney hospitality practices and that makes the experience less stressful on everyone. They remove the confusion of where am I going and what do I need, everything is taken care of. They are a custom service company first, healthcare and research follow close behind. Other hospital systems are starting to copy this full hospitality experience in the area including the University of Iowa.
2.) There is a reason it's called Rochester International Airport. Everyone from the Saudi Royal Family flies in and gets taken care of. This is also a reason there are a few random very, very nice car dealerships not far from the campus. Every time a member of the Saudi Royal Family visits the area, something like 1-2 million dollars gets spent.

Overall, what a great place to have access to here in the Midwest. I've personally never been, but I've had a close friend go there to figure out what the real problem was with her headaches and mood. Turns out it was a pituitary tumor they removed through her nose the next day and it was something that multiple other doctors missed on a simple x-ray for over a year.

kingpin75s
01-15-2020, 08:25 PM
Local enough to the area to know many people with experiences at the Mayo.

All positive. One of the best and generally ranked as such:

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings

buddybikes
01-15-2020, 08:28 PM
>>2.) There is a reason it's called Rochester International Airport. Everyone from the Saudi Royal Family flies in and gets taken care of. This is also a reason there are a few random very, very nice car dealerships not far from the campus. Every time a member of the Saudi Royal Family visits the area, something like 1-2 million dollars gets spent.

- Sorry, I read this as money talks.

kppolich
01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
>>2.) There is a reason it's called Rochester International Airport. Everyone from the Saudi Royal Family flies in and gets taken care of. This is also a reason there are a few random very, very nice car dealerships not far from the campus. Every time a member of the Saudi Royal Family visits the area, something like 1-2 million dollars gets spent.

- Sorry, I read this as money talks.

when money is no object and you decide to fly to rochester, mn - that speaks to exactly how great that hospital is.

PBWrench
01-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Personal experience with very rare type of cancer. Extraordinary patient-centric care. Highly recommended.

Lewis Moon
01-16-2020, 07:42 AM
We have a Mayo here in Scottsdale, AZ.

Best. Care. Ever.

RFC
01-16-2020, 07:53 AM

Best. Care. Ever.

Yes, Mayo here in the Valley has seriously upped healthcare. And, it has just opened a branch of its med school in downtown Phoenix.

David Kirk
01-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Best. Care. Ever.

I was treated very well there many years ago. Would go again if I needed to.

dave

cloudchaser
01-17-2020, 06:56 AM
I have been going there for nearly a decade now and have always found it to be a world class health care solution. The facilities and equipment are state of the art. Test results are available later that day for your appointments. The people are simply amazing. Not once did I ever feel rushed during a meeting with my doctors. I only have experience with the Rochester Clinic. But I heartily endorse them.

onekgguy
01-17-2020, 09:03 AM
I'm very thankful to live within a 75-minute drive of Mayo in Rochester. I experienced hearing loss in my left ear in August 2015. The ENT doctor I saw through my local network gave me little to no hope of recovering my hearing. I persued a 2nd opinion from a doctor at Mayo and I'm so grateful for having done so. I wrote about it here (https://onekgguy.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-2nd-opinion-and-request-for-prayers.html) with a follow-up here (https://onekgguy.blogspot.com/2015/09/an-emotion-filled-day.html).

I can't say enough good things about Mayo.

Kevin g

Plum Hill
01-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I applied for an appointment last night.

sjbraun
01-17-2020, 08:31 PM
My experience at Mayo Rochester has been exceptional. My experience was with the Hematology/Oncology section. Tremendous knowledge and experience hooked with cutting edge science and caring staff make it a great place for care.

sales guy
01-17-2020, 10:51 PM
I went there as well as some other specialty clinics for a chronic pain issue. I was not as impressed with them as opposed to The Cleveland Clinic and doctor in Florida. They dismissed my issue and the pain and said it was in my head. I mentioned to them all the problems, the people I've seen and they said cause they couldn't see anything and because the doctor had personally never seen/heard of the problem. The arrogance was extreme. I ended up finding a more receptive ear at the Cleveland Clinic which is the #1 hospital for the particular body part I was seeing them for.