PDA

View Full Version : Gratitude

cgolvin
01-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Today is a day for me to reflect and be grateful. I was planning to keep it private but kramnnim's post about losing his friend (heartfelt condolences, Mark) made me rethink.

Eight years ago I was riding by myself as was usual at the time and ended up unconscious in a local ICU (to this day I have no recall). It was much harder on my family and a few friends than on me at the time, but subsequently I went through surgery and an extended rehabilitation period, which was challenging.

But it's a day I commemorate for a number of reasons. First, I came out the other end, am healthy with no long term negative effects other than having to take regular meds and a decline in my ability to taste (that may just be age). Second, aside from my own health the outcome could have been so much worse including putting others at risk. Third, just to take a beat and cherish the little daily things that I so often take for granted. Fourth, because I had to change my riding habits to include others I've made a number of good friends who really add to my enjoyment of cycling (though I sometimes miss the zen elements of a solo ride). And finally, during my recovery time I discovered The Paceline, which has yielded new connections, plenty of education (thanks OP!), and numerous entertaining descents into remarkable minutiae.

So today's a good day, thanks for listening with your eyes.

cg

AngryScientist
01-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Excellent post.

we are glad you came through and are still able to enjoy cycling.

thanks for the positive vibes.

DeBike
01-15-2020, 12:50 PM
Nice post. Glad you are doing well. Reflections, at times, are good for the soul.

Blue Jays
01-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Bravo on the excellent news, cgolvin.

XXtwindad
01-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Today is a day for me to reflect and be grateful. I was planning to keep it private but kramnnim's post about losing his friend (heartfelt condolences, Mark) made me rethink.

Eight years ago I was riding by myself as was usual at the time and ended up unconscious in a local ICU (to this day I have no recall). It was much harder on my family and a few friends than on me at the time, but subsequently I went through surgery and an extended rehabilitation period, which was challenging.

But it's a day I commemorate for a number of reasons. First, I came out the other end, am healthy with no long term negative effects other than having to take regular meds and a decline in my ability to taste (that may just be age). Second, aside from my own health the outcome could have been so much worse including putting others at risk. Third, just to take a beat and cherish the little daily things that I so often take for granted. Fourth, because I had to change my riding habits to include others I've made a number of good friends who really add to my enjoyment of cycling (though I sometimes miss the zen elements of a solo ride). And finally, during my recovery time I discovered The Paceline, which has yielded new connections, plenty of education (thanks OP!), and numerous entertaining descents into remarkable minutiae.

So today's a good day, thanks for listening with your eyes.

cg

Thanks for the touching post. Hoping to hook up sometime for a SoCal ride. Also, I leave my helmet on when posting things on the Forum :)

sitzmark
01-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Heartwarming to know you are enjoying this day and the many to come. Thank you for sharing.

cgolvin
01-15-2020, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the touching post. Hoping to hook up sometime for a SoCal ride. Also, I leave my helmet on when posting things on the Forum :)

Thanks, I'll look forward to that ride.

I'm more likely to throw caution to the winds when descending into our canyons than into rim vs brake, Campy vs Shim, tubeless vs tubular… Good advice to put my helmet on for those :p

donevwil
01-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Thanks for sharing CG!

I had a very similar (identical) experience in early '01, one minute I was gleefully commuting to work and the next (a few hours later) waking up in the ICU of a hospital 20 miles away not able to remember my name, let alone anything else. Getting back on the bike was a REAL challenge for me, fortunately I'd made a commitment to my brother. We'd previously signed up for a week long tour at the end of the year. If it hadn't been for that I may have never ridden again.

I met the woman who would become my wife on that tour.

mulp
01-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Thanks a bunch for sharing, appreciated hearing your story.

redir
01-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Here here :beer:

huck*this
01-15-2020, 02:09 PM
Very nice post Charles and glad you are in good health and found you love. Glad I was able to connect with you also. You my friend are good people!

Enjoy the miles...

cgolvin
01-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Thanks for sharing CG!

I had a very similar (identical) experience in early '01, one minute I was gleefully commuting to work and the next (a few hours later) waking up in the ICU of a hospital 20 miles away not able to remember my name, let alone anything else. Getting back on the bike was a REAL challenge for me, fortunately I'd made a commitment to my brother. We'd previously signed up for a week long tour at the end of the year. If it hadn't been for that I may have never ridden again.

I met the woman who would become my wife on that tour.

Thanks for sharing as well, Evan, great outcome! While not around a specific event, my brother was also a source of motivation since we treasure our time riding together. In fact, you played an instrumental role in helping get him out for Eroica last year, so thanks too for that.

Keith A
01-15-2020, 03:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. All we can do is take one day at a time and make the best of each one we are given.

lavi
01-15-2020, 03:47 PM
Amen. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't agree more.

The only thing in danger here are personal finances.

Miller76
01-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Nice post. Glad you are doing well. Reflections, at times, are good for the soul.

Great sentiment !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdmtong
01-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Another reminder that everything is great, until it isn't.

Yes, gratitude. and for your contributions here as well.

Moneywatch
01-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Thank you for reminding us of what’s really important.

madsciencenow
01-15-2020, 07:45 PM
Thanks for sharing! I’m glad you are “ok”, back on the bike, and found PL. Your contributions here are appreciated so I’d consider you finding PL a silver lining to a very dark cloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
01-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Lovely read. Thank you. Reminds of a poem by Raymond Carver although his injuries were different.

Gravy

No other word will do. For that’s what it was.
Gravy.
Gravy, these past ten years.
Alive, sober, working, loving, and
being loved by a good woman. Eleven years
ago he was told he had six months to live
at the rate he was going. And he was going
nowhere but down. So he changed his ways
somehow. He quit drinking! And the rest?
After that it was all gravy, every minute
of it, up to and including when he was told about,
well, some things that were breaking down and
building up inside his head. “Don’t weep for me,”
he said to his friends. “I’m a lucky man.
I’ve had ten years longer than I or anyone
expected. Pure Gravy. And don’t forget it.

~Raymond Carver

corky
01-16-2020, 02:46 AM
I can relate to the coming round and not knowing what happpened......
A couple of months ago I was doing a well known training loop out in the country when a white van ( what a chuffin’ cliche) proceeded to overtake me v. Close on a bend and then cut in front, deliberately ( the good ol’ punishment pass) I shouted my displeasure...... the van pulled over, passenger, got out and shouted’I’m gonna deck you, you c-word’......I was desperately trying to brake so as not to collide with him....next thing I knew I was lying on the ground and realised I didn’t have my sunglasses on.....Was a little dazed and bemused by what happened......when I got home I found my helmet straps had caused contusions where the I’d been thumped.......course I reported the assault to the police but without licence plate/witnesses there was nothing they could do.....

Stay safe out there.....(beware of white van man.....)

oldpotatoe
01-16-2020, 06:28 AM
Good for you CG...everything happens for a reason and it seems you have the
'CGolvin' luck..bad but it could have been much worse...

Enjoy everyday...some quote coming from the cobwebs of my old mind..can't do anything about yesterday or tomorrow.but you can for today..

And "everything will be ok in the end, if it isn't OK, it isn't the end.."

Thanks for the great post and once again, shows the incredible depth of this forum..:)