PDA

View Full Version : Different brands of freehubs interchangeable?

Veloo
01-14-2020, 04:40 PM
Are any different brands of freehub bodies known to be interchangeable?

Specifically, I am wondering if I can fit another brand's 11 speed Shimano freehub onto my Lemond Revolution which currently has a 10 speed freehub.

What would be some of the critical dimensions?
Number of pawls, etc.

Mark McM
01-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Are any different brands of freehub bodies known to be interchangeable?

Specifically, I am wondering if I can fit another brand's 11 speed Shimano freehub onto my Lemond Revolution which currently has a 10 speed freehub.

What would be some of the critical dimensions?
Number of pawls, etc.

Almost always, the answer is no, there is no interchangeability between different brands - and often limited interchangeability within a brand. There are lots of variables that affect this, including axle diameter and bearing seat locations, ratchet ring diameter, offset and tooth shape, rubber seal size and location, etc. If any one of these differs, the freehubs won't interchange.

Occasionally, different wheel manufacturers use the same OEM hubs, so there might be interchangeability here - but only because the hubs are made by the same manufacturer. DT 240 hubs are used by several wheel brands for example. Also, since the Fulcrum brand is owned by Campagnolo, both brand's wheels use Campagnolo's freehubs.

nublar
01-14-2020, 04:55 PM
No, but a lot of manufacturers use DT350 or DT240 freehub internals in their own shell and those freehubs are all interchangeable as long as you have the right end cap

Look585
01-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Having recently hunted for an 11s FHB for my Lemond and turning up empty, I'll suggest having a 105 cassette milled by Aaron (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243198) to fit on your 10s trainer. It will cost you less in dollars than a FHB (and *way* less in time & hassle).

You are unlikely to put enough miles on the 9/10/11 position cogs to ever need to replace the machined carrier.

I found the 12-25 cassette to be the best gearing for the Lemond trainer. Having 19/18/17/16 tooth cog progression means I can keep watts and cadence in a pretty tight band.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243198

Black Dog
01-14-2020, 08:38 PM
If the shoulders at the ends of the splines on the freehub are deep enough you can mill them down 1.89mm on a lathe and it will fit an 11 speed cassette. I did this on the freehub on my HED hub and it works great.

Louis
01-14-2020, 08:50 PM
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1259/bicycle-rear-hub-compatibility/

rohan
01-14-2020, 11:15 PM
If you don't want to have anything machined, you could also install an Ultegra R8000 or similar 11-34, which will fit on a 10-speed freehub body.

zmalwo
01-15-2020, 01:40 AM
I always loved campy/fulcrum wheels but recently I've noticed a critical design deficiency of their freehubs in modern cycling world. The freehub locknut which contacts the inner side of frame dropouts is too sharp and thin. It would dig into the soft carbon dropout surface most of the carbon bikes use nowadays after a few wheel swaps. It is a perfect system for alloy/steel frames but they need to update their design for modern bikes. Shimano does a very good job having a large contact surface on their hub end which reduces dropout wear significantly

anyways freehubs are not interchangeable most of the time.

loxx0050
01-15-2020, 08:39 AM
Like others have said if you can find someone to mill the hub that 1.9mm or so then that will work. I've done it to an old wired powertap hub and hand filed (then dremeled) it down enough to fit an 11 speed cassette. But that took forever honestly because those old Powertap hubs used steel 105 freehub bodies. Had to go dremel eventually because it was taking forever by hand. It also wasn't the prettiest but it worked.

Or the alternative is to take off enough of the rivets/spacers on the back of the cassette to bring it in enough. But, doing that you run the risk of getting too close to the inside and could have clearance issues in the largest cog and the derailleur with the trainer.