PDA

View Full Version : smart trainer - help me pick

vqdriver
01-14-2020, 02:02 PM
so imma try zwift for real now that i have the ok from the wife to buy a legit smart trainer, and more importantly, space to set it up without having to stash it away between uses.

i'm focused more on the practical aspects of owning one of these.
in no particular order, my priorities are:

- quiet. if i'm being realistic, my zwift sessions will be in the evenings and people will be sleeping a room or two away. floor is wood over crawlspace so sound can travel.
- accurate. no point in even buying one if i have to tweak or repeatedly calibrate the power meter. i've never owned a power meter before and know nothing about them. i mean, i'm not an idiot and i'm perfectly happy to mess with tech but i prefer something that works well without babysitting.
- integrated. i don't really know what to expect but i've seen setups with wires all over the floor running to the bike and to the trainer and to their monitor/computer, etc. messy and ugly. i'd like to minimize the wiring mess and ideally have something that just plugs into my pc

am i forgetting anything important? budget is (highly) flexible.

MattTuck
01-14-2020, 02:14 PM
No experience here, but from my reading and talking to people, I'd think seriously about getting a cheap TV paired with an AppleTV device to run Zwift. This might also give you more flexibility about where to locate the set up.

Andy sti
01-14-2020, 02:15 PM
I have been happy with my Kickr. I does everything it's supposed to and works every time. It's very quiet and super easy to set up with Zwift and Trainer Road. Haven't tried others so I can't compare.

Last year Kickr had some issues with this model but that has been taken care of. I had mine replaced and this one has been flawless.

ergott
01-14-2020, 02:20 PM
If you have the budget nothing beats the Neo (now 2T) for noise level, accuracy, and other features (best virtual flywheel). I also like that is has a bit of give (sway) so it's not as harsh on the frame clamped in. I went from the original Neo to the 2T and I feel the best got that much better. Your bikes drivetrain will make more noise than the unit does.

djg21
01-14-2020, 02:40 PM
so imma try zwift for real now that i have the ok from the wife to buy a legit smart trainer, and more importantly, space to set it up without having to stash it away between uses.

i'm focused more on the practical aspects of owning one of these.
in no particular order, my priorities are:

- quiet. if i'm being realistic, my zwift sessions will be in the evenings and people will be sleeping a room or two away. floor is wood over crawlspace so sound can travel.
- accurate. no point in even buying one if i have to tweak or repeatedly calibrate the power meter. i've never owned a power meter before and know nothing about them. i mean, i'm not an idiot and i'm perfectly happy to mess with tech but i prefer something that works well without babysitting.
- integrated. i don't really know what to expect but i've seen setups with wires all over the floor running to the bike and to the trainer and to their monitor/computer, etc. messy and ugly. i'd like to minimize the wiring mess and ideally have something that just plugs into my pc

am i forgetting anything important? budget is (highly) flexible.

I would think that the Tacx Neo 2 is worth considering in that it doesn’t require calibration, and hence the need for “babysitting” is minimized. The other comparable machine is the Wahoo Kicker. You should look at the reviews on DC Rainmaker.

slambers3
01-14-2020, 02:47 PM
I’ve had a good experience with the Kickr- picked it up secondhand, has been rock solid in the 75hrs or so of ride time since I got it. Communicates via Bluetooth with my MacBook, and all of the wahoo accessories integrate without hassle. I know you mentioned calibration being a sticking point for you, but the spin down process on the wahoo is very simple and straightforward.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Also had good experience with Wahoo KICKR. Picked up a refurbished '18 direct from Wahoo and it has performed well. Wahoo usually has refurb inventory but you have to call them to inquire (Warning: it can be difficult to get a live support person on the phone).

They are a good deal when compared to new models and typically include a warranty.

trener1
01-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Obviously you can't go wrong with either the Neo or the Kicker.
But for a bit of Value I would also have a serious look at the Saris H3 or the Kicker Core.
I have seen the h3 for under $900 recently.

madsciencenow
01-14-2020, 03:39 PM
I’ve got the Hammer H2 which is the predecessor to the Saris H3 and have had good experience with it. Happy to answer specific questions and for sure recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBLS
01-14-2020, 03:55 PM
Kickr user here. Second season, no issues at all. Easy set up

Watch for deals - Pop up locally often

kohagen
01-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Also a KICKR user. Easy setup, never an issue. Very quiet. Seems very accurate.

DfCas
01-14-2020, 04:23 PM
My Neo has been wonderful. I have 4 years on it and ride it year round.

Blue Jays
01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Careful selection of pads, carpet, rubber mats, and (ideally) placing trainer in basement all help towards less transmitted sound.

vqdriver
01-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Thoughts on the neo bike?
Wife wants a peloton, she likes spin classes. Can I use the neo bike with peloton?

trener1
01-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Isn't peloton a whole ecosystem, kind of like Apple? so the hardware and software go together (I think).

Jeckel30
01-14-2020, 05:47 PM
I have a Suito Elite I just picked up. It has been great. Take it out of the box, throw the bike on and go. I use it with an Apple TV.

Hank Scorpio
01-14-2020, 05:50 PM
I have the snap but it has already been replaced once under warranty. Recently I had to replace a wire myself as the unit is now out of warranty. I would go wheel off at a minimum in the future but a 2t isn’t in the budget right now.

Actually you should just get this. You can rub your peloton riding friends noses in it.

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/fuoripista

kppolich
01-14-2020, 05:53 PM
2nd gen Kickr is what I would recommend.
Quiet, affordable (used ~$600), and ThruAxle compatible.
I would also recommend a 32" TV, Apple TV 4K, and a nice fan.

GScot
01-14-2020, 06:42 PM
Picked up a Kinetic R1 about a year ago. It's my first smart trainer experience other than riding a kickr at a bike store. I have used it with Zwift and Sufferfest and it does everything expected. It's not quiet but not obnoxious either, you can hear a movie or music over it without cranking the volume to obnoxious. And it runs very smooth so I wouldn't worry too much about it sending vibrations through the floor since I bet you'll set it up on a matt anyway. The ability to rock side to side is game changer for me. Compared to a rigid trainer it makes it easier for me to ride longer.

xtheendisnearx
01-15-2020, 01:26 AM
I borrowed my friends Neo Tacx and it worked perfectly. I loved the rumble feature it had when you ride on dirt/gravel and across bridges. I purchased a refurbished Kickr from Wahoo only to have the power/speed not work. After waiting over a month to get it, I had to send it back. They are replacing it with a brand new unit. Hopefully this one will work out.

jwalther
01-15-2020, 05:48 AM
Everything you need to know: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html

Morgul Bismark
01-15-2020, 06:42 AM
I have owned both the Kickr18 and the Neo2.

I had one kickr replaced under warranty. My kickr18 started making a lot more noise (similar to what happened with the kickr replaced under warranty). This time I just decided I was done with Wahoo and got a Tacx Neo 2 (discounted compared to the Neo 2T but not that much technical difference between the two units from the DC rainmaker reviews)

I had quite a bit of time on the kickr18 and just picked up the neo2 about a week ago. The Neo is a little larger footprint, but it seems to be the better unit. It is quieter, there is better road feel - both simulated road feel in terms of cobbles, gravel simulation and in terms of how the unit responds to hard standing efforts. It's a little hard to describe but the Neo 2 feels more natural in terms of the pedal stroke.

As far as how to run Zwift or similar, the best set-up I have found is to get an Apple TV 4K unit and hook that up to your TV.

cash05458
01-15-2020, 07:30 AM
use the kickr here and it's great...mine is gen 1 and the notion that it is loud is just ludicrous...but I think there are lots of options via the trainer...folks seem to love the Neo...

As for setup....def. look at apple tv 4 k...super easy and plug and play...no wires everywhere...just easy setup and works great...put a tv with it in front of you....no silly stands to hold ipads or look at a computer screen...it's really an easy and nice setup...

loxx0050
01-15-2020, 08:59 AM
Noise concerns then direct drive will be quieter than wheel on trainers. Also running in the small chainring also reduces noise too. I've got a first gen Elite Direto and the fans/drivetrain I use is noisier than the trainer itself.

I run it with my crank based power meter and have the training app (use trainnerroad currently) power match. That way I can set it and forget it even if the trainer is off my power meter is consistent (I say consistent because even if that power meter is off it is at least consistently off...unless something goes really wrong). I have noticed when I first got my Direto it was reading slightly higher power than my cranks (i.e. at 100w on the cranks it was 110w or so on the trainer). Now nearly 3 years later of owning it the Direto has drifted more as I recently checked it out of curiosity and found that at 95-100w on my cranks it was 130w area on the Direto. For reference the bike I typically have on the trainer is a Power2Max Type S with Rotor 3D+ crank arms power meter.

I do have bluetooth issues with my Direto using that and Ant+ for my power meter. Easier for me to go Ant+ for everything instead because of that.

If I were in your position and money wasn't a constraint I'd go Neo 2T. But I'm happy with my setup and built a custom rocker plate to help with the saddle comfort (it does help some for me but isn't a magic cure all for me like others have claimed to experience...but I still haven't figured out what saddle works for me on the trainer yet).

One thing I recommend no matter what you run is get a good high volume fan. I picked up a 1/5HP blower and it's helped quite a bit on keeping me from overheating. Could use another one honestly (or more HP or CFM than I got) but it is much better than a typical floor/box fan.

ergott
01-15-2020, 09:42 AM
One thing I recommend no matter what you run is get a good high volume fan. I picked up a 1/5HP blower and it's helped quite a bit on keeping me from overheating. Could use another one honestly (or more HP or CFM than I got) but it is much better than a typical floor/box fan.

I have this and it's excellent. It tilts back about 45deg so I have it a couple feet in front of me aimed up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/B-Air-1-4-HP-Air-Mover-Blower-Fan-for-Water-Damage-Restoration-Carpet-Dryer-Floor-Home-and-Plumbing-Use-in-Blue-BA-VP-25-BL/207012958

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/f493952b-05c3-4f72-b45b-4f28f68b882b/svn/blue-b-air-blower-fans-ba-vp-25-bl-64_1000.jpg

arcadian
01-15-2020, 01:35 PM
I looked and researched a bunch. I bought a Wahoo Kickr Core. I think it is a solid value. The Tacx looks nice as well, but cost almost twice what I have into my Core. It works well.

Kyle h
01-16-2020, 06:42 AM
If cost isn’t a factor, I’d go Neo 2 for sure. I’ve had various Kickrs since their introduction and aside from a belt replacement every 1.5yrs or so, they’ve all been pretty solid. They are definitely louder than the Neo and even though the latest version is the quietest yet, it does still have a very distinct sound. If you live in tight quarters, expect other people to hear the Kickr. The lack of calibration on the Neo is fantastic and makes things a little more simple if you’re constantly taking bike on/off the trainer. If you have a dedicated trainer bike that always lives on the Kickr, it’s less of a selling point. If you have strong feelings for/against Garmin that might be your deciding factor as Tacx is owned by Garmin as of this year.

madsciencenow
01-16-2020, 07:33 AM
I have this and it's excellent. It tilts back about 45deg so I have it a couple feet in front of me aimed up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/B-Air-1-4-HP-Air-Mover-Blower-Fan-for-Water-Damage-Restoration-Carpet-Dryer-Floor-Home-and-Plumbing-Use-in-Blue-BA-VP-25-BL/207012958

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/f493952b-05c3-4f72-b45b-4f28f68b882b/svn/blue-b-air-blower-fans-ba-vp-25-bl-64_1000.jpg

I've got a similar fan and it is fantastic. I usually run it on the lowest speed and it still keeps me plenty cool. I use this from the back and a box fan in front.