PDA

View Full Version : ot email scam

parris
01-13-2020, 08:33 PM
I just want to pass along another scam that's making the rounds again. This one targeted me at my sheriff's dept work email for context.

The email stated that I had been clocked doing 20-30mph over the limit and that I had 72 hrs to pay the ticket. It gave me a link to click on as well as a warning NOT to contact the courts, police, etc. The email address ended with a moderately official looking .gov.

The funny thing is that the address where I supposedly performed this heinous act was the address on Hawley Street where the Binghamton police dept is located on the South and directly across from the Broome County courts on the North side of the street :) .

I may be crazy but not stupid. If I'd actually done this, the Sheriff and Under Sheriff would've taken more than a pound of flesh. Just sayin...

Pass this along to friends and such so they don't actually fall for it.

gasman
01-13-2020, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up

unterhausen
01-13-2020, 11:05 PM
were you supposed to pay in gift cards?

Louis
01-13-2020, 11:51 PM
Google seems to do a good job of filtering out this sort of thing from my e-mail In Box, but rarely does a week go by without me having a home voice-mail message on my answering machine (most of the time in a computer-generated voice, but not always) warning of some impending disaster, either with my Apple account (no such thing), my home computer, my Social Security, or with the IRS.

I assume the message goes on to say that I should call them back, but, I've never listened to one long enough to know what I'm supposed to do about it. And strangely enough, not one of those horrible things they've predicted has come to pass.

ScottW
01-14-2020, 09:28 AM
were you supposed to pay in gift cards?
I thought the legitimate speed camera operators only accepted payment in Bitcoin. :confused:

dgauthier
01-14-2020, 09:30 AM
I thought the legitimate speed camera operators only accepted payment in Bitcoin. :confused:

If you don't pay, do they threaten to send video of you speeding to every address in your contacts?

oldpotatoe
01-14-2020, 09:38 AM
It gave me a link to click on as well as a warning NOT to contact the courts, police, etc.

Yeegads...BUT way too many people fall for this stuff, like the phony IRS thing...these scumbags pray on elder people all the time...

I just got my CC# stolen....for the 4th time..'WingStop' in Illinois for $78..MESS of chicken wings I guess, but don't get how they get the number...and then use it w/o an expiration date....

redir
01-14-2020, 10:35 AM
They just keep getting better and better at this stuff too. At work we occasionally run internal tests using 'modern' hacking techniques. And by modern in quotes I mean call up someone and tell them you need their password. You'd be surprised how effective it is. In fact people think of hackers as that 300 pound kid in his bedroom when it's often times old fashion burglary(look for that handwritten password file in the desk drawer) and or a simple phone call. The hacking tools are of course fun to use too though.

cp43
01-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Yeegads...BUT way too many people fall for this stuff, like the phony IRS thing...these scumbags pray on elder people all the time...

I just got my CC# stolen....for the 4th time..'WingStop' in Illinois for $78..MESS of chicken wings I guess, but don't get how they get the number...and then use it w/o an expiration date....

I had my number stolen once. When I called to get a new one, they said that the thieves will guess numbers and try to make small transactions. Once they get a small transaction that goes through, they'll know they have a real number, and sell that, or buy something bigger.

parris
01-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Pete you just reminded me that one of our numbers got stolen a couple of years ago. In our case someone tried to buy $800.00 in NASCAR "stuff"...

NASCAR?!?!?!?! I mean come on at least try to buy something cool!

muz
01-14-2020, 12:58 PM
My credit card company texted me that they declined a $214 charge for "inmate pack", some kind of jail care package. I guess some people never learn...

parris
01-14-2020, 02:37 PM
Muz HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a Corrections Officer and this hits close! Commissary is a BIG deal to inmates. My bet is that a family or gang member on the outside snagged your number and was trying to send something in to one of their people.

OtayBW
01-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Not stolen, but it might as well have been. My CC company declined my purchase of an $8 sandwich at the Bangkok airport as I was about to depart recently, AFTER I had previously filed a detailed trip itinerary with the bank. :eek:

ToonaBP
01-15-2020, 09:35 AM
A CC used only for monthly VRE train tickets and an occasional online purchase was recently compromised. The billing statement showed 15 payments of $59.95 for video game purchases in CA... I'm in VA. After calling, I was told there were 25 consecutive charges for PS4 games. A few months later, I received a letter from the online purchase vendor stating they were hacked... at least I know were they got my CC #.