PDA

View Full Version : Any paceliners do AC's Official Serious Bicycle Ride??

Duende
01-13-2020, 06:43 PM
Curious how it went and what the pace was! Any stories to share? Looks like it was a blast on instagram!

prototoast
01-13-2020, 07:04 PM
I did it. It was a lot harder than I was expecting. 5200 feet of climbing in the first 33 miles, lots of annoying mud, then just limping my way home from there. I finished in a little under 6 hours. The guys at the front did it in about four. Most people were faster than me. Laura King did it while nearly 8 months pregnant and was faster than me by about an hour. Hats off to her, truly the performance of the day.

But yeah, really really hard. So many incredibly steep climbs, some really technical. Doesn't help that I'm fat and out of shape, but I had to dig deeper to finish that than to finish the 180k D2R2.

If I were to have one complaint, it's that they really needed to do more to have some bathrooms at the start and finish. Really a basic element of event management. Every event organizer should get a porta potty before they get an enve automatic tire inflator.

Blue Jays
01-13-2020, 07:12 PM
This looks like it was the recent ride referenced:
https://abovecategorycycling.com/blogs/journal/osbr2

AngryScientist
01-13-2020, 07:17 PM
This looks like it was the recent ride referenced:
https://abovecategorycycling.com/blogs/journal/osbr2

haha, thanks for the reference. i had the wrong AC in mind!

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/2Q5qPkJo5mtifvMA6oapMB.jpg

Duende
01-13-2020, 07:21 PM
I did it. It was a lot harder than I was expecting. 5200 feet of climbing in the first 33 miles, lots of annoying mud, then just limping my way home from there. I finished in a little under 6 hours. The guys at the front did it in about four. Most people were faster than me. Laura King did it while nearly 8 months pregnant and was faster than me by about an hour. Hats off to her, truly the performance of the day.

But yeah, really really hard. So many incredibly steep climbs, some really technical. Doesn't help that I'm fat and out of shape, but I had to dig deeper to finish that than to finish the 180k D2R2.

If I were to have one complaint, it's that they really needed to do more to have some bathrooms at the start and finish. Really a basic element of event management. Every event organizer should get a porta potty before they get an enve automatic tire inflator.

Wow... Thanks for sharing! I heard about Laura King's performance. That truly is incredible.

Kudos to you for braving it. I really wanted to do it, but figured I'd be dropped in no time. Love those trails though.

Glad to hear there was a wide range of fitness from the attendees.

Blue Jays
01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Looks like it was a complete hoot for participants. Good for you! :)

joosttx
01-13-2020, 08:07 PM
I was coaching peewee football. But the route was awesome. I have ridden it plenty of times. In full and parts.

Heisenberg
01-13-2020, 09:41 PM
I was coaching peewee football. But the route was awesome. I have ridden it plenty of times. In full and parts.

yers! there were some route hiccups...again. it wasn't quite as brutal as the first iteration (HI SORRY ABOUT THAT), but there were some spots that needed improvement (eg TV/headlands sunday afternoon routing that surely resulted in one or four NIMBY ranger calls).

the weather was great. the paella was delicious. i got to hang and ride with a lot of good friends i haven't seen in a long ****ing time. i won some junk in the raffle, and jacked up the charity bidding for the enve hoops.

slowpoke
01-13-2020, 10:37 PM
Would anyone mind sharing the route? Thanks!

prototoast
01-13-2020, 10:52 PM
Would anyone mind sharing the route? Thanks!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31652054

jpritchet74
01-14-2020, 10:34 AM
I would have love to have done it, but those events are always about 2x too long for my fitness.

If only they offered a route half as long.....

Mikej
01-14-2020, 11:28 AM
So, racing a bike in mud while 8 months pregnant sounds really unsafe for the baby and an all out really bad idea, but its probably just me..

thegunner
01-14-2020, 12:11 PM
So, racing a bike in mud while 8 months pregnant sounds really unsafe for the baby and an all out really bad idea, but its probably just me..

nah, i had the same thought -- but it might be the first-time parent paranoia :)

John H.
01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
I am a local- I looked at the loop and opted out.
Not because of the climbing- But because I knew it would be super duper muddy.
Pine Mountain and San Geronimo Ridge are terrible in the winter.

But like Nate said- The route 2 years ago was sweet.