PDA

View Full Version : Electrode gel for HRM?

smontanaro
01-13-2020, 10:12 AM
I have a cheapo Magene heart rate monitor (https://magenefitness.com/products/mover-dual-protocol-heart-rate-sensor). It works fine as long as there's low resistance across your skin. Normally, just a dab of water on the two electrodes is sufficient. This time of year, however, I don't sweat as much (yeah, I know, just pedal harder), so the HRM winks out pretty frequently.

I figured I should be able to pick up some sort of ECG conductive gel at the local pharmacy, but my searches have so far come up empty. Can someone point me in the right direction?

oldpotatoe
01-13-2020, 10:27 AM
I have a cheapo Magene heart rate monitor (https://magenefitness.com/products/mover-dual-protocol-heart-rate-sensor). It works fine as long as there's low resistance across your skin. Normally, just a dab of water on the two electrodes is sufficient. This time of year, however, I don't sweat as much (yeah, I know, just pedal harder), so the HRM winks out pretty frequently.

I figured I should be able to pick up some sort of ECG conductive gel at the local pharmacy, but my searches have so far come up empty. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Will Ultrasound gel work??:confused:

Davist
01-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Curious about this as well.. takes a while to build up a sweat in winter. Amazon has some things in a generic search, probably worth the $12 or so to experiment: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electrode+gel+for+heart+rate+monitor&crid=B8IZISVFVDWA&sprefix=electrode+gel%2Caps%2C151&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_13

Ozz
01-13-2020, 10:55 AM
Amazon sells everything.....

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ekg+gel&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

fmradio516
01-13-2020, 11:05 AM
How does it exactly affect the HRM? I just started wearing one 2 ride ago and am comparing my "calories burned" with the same rides prior to the HRM. Its only about 10-15% more calories burned with the HRM for the same ride w/the same avg MPH. Wondering myself if its even worth wearing it.

Ozz
01-13-2020, 11:28 AM
speaking of HRMs...I just got a new strap for mine (Polar H10) to replace my old Polar H7, and am having a hard time getting it to connect to the Polar Beat app on my phone. Won't work with Strava either???

It recognizes the strap, but it just won't connect and start measuring HR.

The Apple Health app was able to get a reading which is what is frustrating....

Plenty of sweat (I think)....played with all the settings (turning on bluetooth, etc.)....any thoughts??

metalheart
01-13-2020, 11:34 AM
Amazon sells everything.....

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=ekg+gel&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I use the Spectra stuff in this link, works just fine and a little dab ill do ya....

trener1
01-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Here is some
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paceline-Products-Buh-Bump-HRM-Electrode-Cream-/221994528583

Paz
01-13-2020, 12:40 PM
I've been using a small dab of Aloe Vera Gel on each contact for years and have no ill effects on the strap. I have used both Garmin and Wahoo straps.

gasman
01-13-2020, 12:52 PM
When I've had problems getting a good connection I've just put a little water on the strap then sprinkle a few grains of salt from your salt shaker on the electrode area.Cheap and easy.

Blue Jays
01-13-2020, 12:59 PM
My solution is very similar to Gasman's suggestion above.
I run it under the water faucet and seems to connect easier.

2metalhips
01-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Liquid soap works also.

Dave
01-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Licking the contacts also works.

MattTuck
01-13-2020, 01:34 PM
i use the spectra stuff in this link, works just fine and a little dab ill do ya....

+1

tv_vt
01-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Spit works. Astroglide/Astrogel would work, too...;)

smontanaro
01-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

When I've had problems getting a good connection I've just put a little water on the strap then sprinkle a few grains of salt from your salt shaker on the electrode area.Cheap and easy.

I do the water thing. Never tried salt. It starts out okay, but winks out a ways into the ride. This time of year, it's buried under a base layer, wool jersey and shell (plus some of it is tucked in), so getting at it to rejuvenate the water isn't straightforward.

I'll try something like aloe vera or ultrasound gel. If those don't work, I'll bow down to Emperor Palpatine (silly me, I meant Jeff Bezos) and get something there.

chrisroph
01-13-2020, 02:52 PM
The spectra gel is what I use and it works like a charm.

madsciencenow
01-13-2020, 03:08 PM

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobydrew
01-13-2020, 03:50 PM

+1

Phew. I thought I was the only one.

Hellgate
01-13-2020, 03:54 PM
Phew. I thought I was the only one.Nope

FlashUNC
01-13-2020, 03:55 PM
I slather my chest in vaseline before every ride. Seems to do the trick.

glepore
01-13-2020, 04:03 PM
Spit works. Astroglide/Astrogel would work, too...;)

Actually, the generic version of ky is really good for this, used it for years.

sitzmark
01-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Depending on how much coverage you have from kit, a little wetness from licking or rubbing the contacts with saliva will evaporate fairly quick as air passes. Then have to ramp up activity until get some perspiration going. It can be a fight unless you’ve got windbloc on.

I use Chamois Butt’r Bah Bump and it stops the futzing. Just works.

MagicHour
01-13-2020, 04:11 PM
Ditto to the Spectra stuff from Amazon - the big tube lasts for years! I always use it with my old plastic type HRM indoors, otherwise I have dropout issues. Rarely if ever do I use it for my soft Tickr strap when riding outdoors.

Old School
01-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Don't stop pedaling.

Spit on thumb. Slide the spit-covered thumb under the strap on one side.

Don't stop pedaling.

Spit on other thumb. Slide the other spit-covered thumb under the strap on the other side.

Don't stop pedaling.

rnhood
01-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Spit and water work fine, as does saline water which you can buy in the drug store for cheap (squirt bottle).

madsciencenow
01-13-2020, 05:55 PM
Nope

I had problems with my Wahoo band and contacted customer support and this or the gel was their suggested solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellgate
01-13-2020, 06:04 PM
I had problems with my Wahoo band and contacted customer support and this or the gel was their suggested solution.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWorks every time.

The good thing about cycling in Texas in the summer time is endless sweat to act as a conductor.

tomato coupe
01-13-2020, 06:13 PM

Yep. If the humidity is low, use salt and a little bit of lime juice. If it's really hot and dry, add a little bit of tequila.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 10:22 AM
I use a tiny bit of chamois cream with a drop or two of water and get good contact.

Oxford_Guy
01-22-2020, 12:22 PM
I have the opposite problem in my winter indoor spin training classes - I sweat so much the HRM starts to go haywire about half way through a sessions... I bought a battery-powered clip on fan which helps a little, but still get some drop outs.

C40_guy
01-22-2020, 12:33 PM
i slather my chest in vaseline before every ride. Seems to do the trick.

tmi

:)

unterhausen
01-22-2020, 12:37 PM
I think the people that sweat too much should use delectric (on edit:dielectric) grease on the snaps, if their hrm has them.

I got some of the spectra gel because of this thread and it works great. It probably would have saved me a few batteries over the last couple of years

cderalow
01-22-2020, 01:00 PM
buh-bump user here as well.

Oxford_Guy
01-23-2020, 04:24 AM
I think the people that sweat too much should use delectric grease on the snaps, if their hrm has them.

Thanks, I might try that!

unterhausen
01-23-2020, 05:39 AM
I just noticed I misspelled dielectric somehow
available at auto parts stores https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2

Oxford_Guy
01-23-2020, 10:11 AM
available at auto parts stores https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2

Thanks, though I knew what you meant - I'll try this for my sweaty spin bike sessions at least!

smontanaro
01-23-2020, 10:15 AM

I couldn't tell if you meant "dielectric" or "de electric" (less conduction). ;)

unterhausen
01-23-2020, 11:23 AM
I don't think you can get a grease with any significant insulation properties, but I could be wrong.

tctyres
01-23-2020, 12:51 PM
I don't think you can get a grease with any significant insulation properties, but I could be wrong.

It exists. We used it to insulate sensors from water in high pressure applications.

benb
01-23-2020, 01:46 PM
I would make sure whatever you're smearing on yourself is safe... I'd stick to the gel intended for that if your HRM data is that important.

A couple times of year I seem to get just the right weather conditions where I won't get enough sweat/salt on my skin quick enough and my HRM will act up. Usually licking my finger and wiping it on the HRM does the trick, and as the ride goes on it will start working better and better. It seems to happen with low humidity, high wind, and temperature in the upper 50s F. It basically requires me to be only wearing a jersey, and it's just the right weather where you're not sweating fast enough to beat evaporation. If it gets a little warmer you sweat more and the HRM works better. A little colder and you put on a wind vest and that solves it. (Really the wind vest is probably a great solution to this problem.)

A lot of the time I don't care though.. I am not pacing on the HRM, and late in long rides where cardiac drift/increasing HR might be something to keep an eye on I've usually sweat enough that the HRM is working very well.