PDA

View Full Version : O.t. Bullitt mustang sells for record $3.4 milliom at mecum

alancw3
01-11-2020, 03:40 AM
Provenance, rust and patina=$3.4 million. Watching Mecum Kissimmee yesterday. Way too much money out there. checkout the condition in the pics:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/iconic-68-bullitt-mustang-shatters-records-and-sells-for-3-4m/ar-BBYQ2Ab

soulspinner
01-11-2020, 06:32 AM
saw that and the car was very rough. Seems like a lot o cash. Wouldn't mind a new Bullit in green but Id have to put cragars on it as I hate black wheels. And they dyno 425 to 430 at the rears......

Tickdoc
01-11-2020, 06:37 AM
Watched it live yesterday. So exciting I had to change my shirt when it was over.

It's a rough GT, but there is no other like it. Iconic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Love my '19 Bullitt. Like this one, it is not much more than a regular GT, but oh so special.

providence
01-11-2020, 06:38 AM
Saw the photos of the car’s condition before the auction. Was kind of shocked. Knew it would go for crazy money though.

What gets me is imagining the type of garage it is likely going to enter into. Picturing what it looks like, what type of cars are in there, and then picturing what this will look like next to the lot.

Elefantino
01-11-2020, 07:13 AM
Ford should capitalize and come out with a 2021 E-Bullitt. :eek:

PaMtbRider
01-11-2020, 07:56 AM
I wish I still had my 67 Mustang GT fastback. It had a 390 v8 and a 4 speed just like the Bullit car. Unfortunately I sold it for a bit less than 3.5 million.

buddybikes
01-11-2020, 08:09 AM
a fool and his money are soon departed

Speaking of this, back in mid 70's I drove, had opportunity to buy a Dodge Daytona fastback, 1969, all I remember about it was it rocked sideways idling, and was beginning of the gas problems, so I got a bug

Spaghetti Legs
01-11-2020, 08:19 AM
And all the CL sellers of best up rusty, beat up Colnago Supers take note.

el cheapo
01-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Watched the auction with my 95 year old father. What a thrill! The price is actually higher than $3.4 million when you throw in the Mecum Auction sale percentage of 10%. Amazing!

Hai H. Ho
01-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Watched the auction with my 95 year old father. What a thrill! The price is actually higher than $3.4 million when you throw in the Mecum Auction sale percentage of 10%. Amazing!

Yep, $3.74M.

unterhausen
01-11-2020, 09:19 AM
It's interesting that there was only one car. Seems like nowadays it would take multiple cars to take the beating that this one got

Seramount
01-11-2020, 09:31 AM
It's interesting that there was only one car. Seems like nowadays it would take multiple cars to take the beating that this one got

google says there were two movie cars...one for stunts and one for close-ups with SM at the wheel.

the stunt car was reportedly trashed and scrapped.

the 'hero' car is the one that just sold at auction.

jamesdak
01-11-2020, 09:31 AM
What gets me is imagining the type of garage it is likely going to enter into. Picturing what it looks like, what type of cars are in there, and then picturing what this will look like next to the lot.

It looks like this.....I just need to clean out the 3rd bay. :p:p

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170295677.jpg

unterhausen
01-11-2020, 09:38 AM
google says there were two movie cars...one for stunts and one for close-ups with SM at the wheel.

the 'hero' car is the one that just sold at auction.Okay, that make sense. That's no fun at all, I wouldn't have given a penny over $2million for that

parris
01-11-2020, 09:49 AM
There are scenes in the movie where you can see the square tubing they used for camera mounting. It's STILL one of the greatest chase scenes to this day.

RonW87
01-11-2020, 09:56 AM

the 'hero' car is the one that just sold at auction.

The stunt car was found in a Mexican garbage dump and subsequently restored.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/long-lost-bullitt-stunt-car-found-mexico/

https://www.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2017/03/17038725_1114777651964878_7799094359942560195_o.jp g?fit=around%7C875:492

saab2000
01-11-2020, 10:02 AM
I think transactions like this rhyme strongly with 'funny squandering'.

2LeftCleats
01-11-2020, 10:05 AM
I know nothing about owning these show cars but most other exotic/expensive cars are carefully maintained, garaged, etc. Given that this car is showing it’s age and rusting, how does the new owner protect this investment? Does it remain untouched or is it refurbished?

Tickdoc
01-11-2020, 10:21 AM
I know nothing about owning these show cars but most other exotic/expensive cars are carefully maintained, garaged, etc. Given that this car is showing it’s age and rusting, how does the new owner protect this investment? Does it remain untouched or is it refurbished?

It was functionally refurbished prior to its big reveal a couple of years ago. It may look rough, but it is solid and any major components were refurbished and essential parts replaced to be as close to “barn condition” but roadworthy as possible.

I love the story of how the guy found the car from a small classifieds ad, and how he turned McQueen down to repurchase. 1000x profit is icing on the cake for the family.

parris
01-11-2020, 10:22 AM
I think if a full on restoration happened the car would loose much of what it is. Several years ago I saw one of the Jay Leno videos where he talked about this kind of thing. What he and some other collectors do with a number of their cars with a history is to do what they call a "sympathetic restoration". They stop further rust etc, properly fix any mechanical issues, and then call it good.

This car due to what it is would sound like a good candidate for that kind of action.

alancw3
01-11-2020, 10:23 AM

funny you ask that question. recently I watched a show that addressed this very topic. so currently the wisdom is to keep the "patina" and just clear coat the car to protect it from further deterioration.

Seramount
01-11-2020, 10:26 AM
There are scenes in the movie where you can see the square tubing they used for camera mounting. It's STILL one of the greatest chase scenes to this day.

word.

when the guy driving the black Charger buckles his seat belt, you know it's about to get real...

parris
01-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Sera TRUTH!!! I first saw the movie about 35 years ago with a close friend that's several years older than I am and he'd seen it at the theaters when he was a teenager. About the only thing he did spoilerish was to point out Bud Ekiens (sp) buckling the seat belt.

On a side note, that sound track's one of the coolest around.

Louis
01-11-2020, 11:36 AM
The stunt car was found in a Mexican garbage dump and subsequently restored.

I think transactions like this rhyme strongly with 'funny squandering'.

That picture and Saab's comment remind me of a scene from "No Country for Old Men."

jamesdak
01-11-2020, 12:11 PM

Yep, just don't count how many hubcaps come off the Dodge, LOL!!

paredown
01-11-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say--but seeing that movie inspired my brother and me to talk a local Ford dealership into letting us test drive the closest we could get to that car (probably the 390, definitely the fastback, but I can't remember) and take it over the New Westminster version of the San Francisco hills..

We got airborne alright--which is a thing in itself to be flying in a car--but it was the landing that was horrifying, we bottomed out, went sideways, almost rolled--but props to my crazy older brother, he kept it shiny side up.

I'm not sure what they beefed up to do those stunts, but from our experience, I doubt that was a stock suspension!:banana:

(We kind of slunk back to the dealership, caught the sales guy when he was busy and handed him the keys and took off. Never heard anything about it, but I'm pretty sure we potato chipped at least one wheel, and it definitely was not the car we took out...)

Mr. Pink
01-11-2020, 12:46 PM
Jay Leno found this car and owner, and actually drove it. The owner was the son of the guy who bought it after the filming, and it was used as a daily driver. Great story.

https://youtu.be/iZG4LOnMIjM

parris
01-11-2020, 01:21 PM
James... Or how many times they passed the same VW or Pontiac ;) .

Pare I read a bunch of years ago about the mods they did to the cars. I'm fuzzy on the details but here it goes. The Mustang and Charger both had the stock suspensions augmented with pieces from both companies racing programs at the time. The Mustang got heavy springs, Koni shocks, sway bars, bigger brakes, heavy duty front spindles, suspension bracing under the hood, the wheels and tires. The 390 had to have the heads milled, I believe a bigger camshaft, and headers.

The Charger got torsion bars and rear springs from Dodge's Nascar program, heavy duty brakes, nascar spindles, sway bars, chassis bracing. The engine was left stock.

The filming for the chase took around 2 weeks and I believe the camera car was a modified Lola T 70. Both cars were inspected at the end of each days shoot for suspension damage. That included Magnafluxing critical components.

McQueen and Ekins spent a lot of time training at speed in the movie cars together before the scene was shot. If I remember correctly that's when they realized that they needed to work on the 390 in the Mustang in order to have the power and speed they wanted to be effective compared to the Charger where the 440 was enough for what they wanted.

Like I said I read this years ago so some details could be wrong but there it is.

eddief
01-11-2020, 01:34 PM
saw one on the street. definitely caught my eyes. really nicely done exterior with not much gee gaw. sounded really solid too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUHlSfPadHs

about the same color as the Dodge Coronet R/T I had when I was a boy.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0913-165393/1967-dodge-coronet-rt/

tbike4
01-11-2020, 03:05 PM
I worked with Bud Ekins daughter, Donna in the late 80's and she really just spoke about his jump in The Great Escape, never mentioned his work in Bullitt. Would have liked to hear any stories she had about that.

https://www.budanddaveekins.com/the-great-escape-jump/

likebikes
01-11-2020, 08:50 PM
its crazy how old muscle cars had as much ground clearance as a suv now

joosttx
01-12-2020, 09:29 AM
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say--but seeing that movie inspired my brother and me to talk a local Ford dealership into letting us test drive the closest we could get to that car (probably the 390, definitely the fastback, but I can't remember) and take it over the New Westminster version of the San Francisco hills..

We got airborne alright--which is a thing in itself to be flying in a car--but it was the landing that was horrifying, we bottomed out, went sideways, almost rolled--but props to my crazy older brother, he kept it shiny side up.

I'm not sure what they beefed up to do those stunts, but from our experience, I doubt that was a stock suspension!:banana:

(We kind of slunk back to the dealership, caught the sales guy when he was busy and handed him the keys and took off. Never heard anything about it, but I'm pretty sure we potato chipped at least one wheel, and it definitely was not the car we took out...)

Best story ever. Sometimes older brothers are Alright