PDA

View Full Version : The unbearable lightness of my empty garage.

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Here we are just nine short days into 2020 and I am down to just two bikes - my Kirk and my Ellis. It is a strange feeling, but nice...in a way. It makes it easy to feel good about obsessing over the minutae of those two - a Phil headset for the Kirk is finally in (had to match the hubs) and maybe I'll get a Phil BB for the DA cranks too (yes, they make them for 24mm outboard) - plus the Ellis is still undergoing some little tweaks here and there.. Dunno. I could get used to this.

Matthew
01-10-2020, 12:57 AM
I'm cynical. You have an itch you can't help but scratch.:)

donevwil
01-10-2020, 01:08 AM
Just say NO !!!

We have faith, however, this is but a short lived transgression.

As you well know, many here live vicariously through your many acquisitions and subsequent forfeitures.

(One can only wonder what the next chapter in this saga might bring?) ;)

robertbb
01-10-2020, 03:59 AM
Rehab is for quitters.

vincenz
01-10-2020, 04:08 AM
I’ve found I can’t have more than 3 bikes before I go nuts, as I too tend to obsess over their build and maintenance. I have one bike that is my main that I will never give up, and two play bikes that get rotated. These days though, I’ve switched that ratio around and it’s even more manageable and enjoyable.

erik$
01-10-2020, 04:33 AM
I have been able to keep a couple road bikes at my parents place and this Christmas I bought an old cx at my inlaws' house. Great trick to keep it less crowded at home. Being roughly the same size as my wife has also been a solution to get a new bike through the door. But I do agree with the OP, it is a nice feeling to trim the stable. Some bikes are missed more than others.

Hilltopperny
01-10-2020, 04:39 AM
Having shared the same sickness as you I can relate. This year I am going to try and just ride more and buy less. I am pretty comfortable with my No22s, Stinner, Columbine and newest acquisition is a Santa Cruz Highball. They check all the boxes for me and I will enjoy time on them this season.

I enjoy building them up and such, so I may tinker with a build here or there, but I am going to try to see what it’s like not adding to the quiver this year and see how it goes! Good luck Dan! Your Kirk and Ellis are two of my favorite bikes to look at on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducati2
01-10-2020, 04:45 AM
To each his own but the less I think about things the happier I am. I used to collect Italian cars, Italian motorcycles, bicycles, classical guitars, and archery equipment. Acquiring and coveting things became so time consuming and distracting. Like Tyler Darden said...The things you own end up owning you. I now have one car, bicycle, guitar, and bow. No more motorcycles and no more searching for something elusive, more perfect, better, etc. I now focus on the music and not the guitar, the ride and not the bicycle, the next shot and not the bow. But that’s just me, do what you like and be happy.

PaMtbRider
01-10-2020, 06:39 AM
I give it a month before you come cross a deal too good to pass up.:bike:

R3awak3n
01-10-2020, 06:40 AM
Good luck dude. But I think you are setting yourself up for failure. But so is life, at least you are not buying cars as your bank account would have a much lower balance :p

AngryScientist
01-10-2020, 06:51 AM
Ah, so you sold that cool RL.

That was likely my favorite bike that you have owned, and close to what i would have built for myself. Hopefully the new owner gets it out there with some fun miles and posts about the exploits here!

the good news about bikes, is unless there is some catastrophic crash or something, they dont wear out, or go away. every new bike made just adds one more used bike to the market out there. they can come and go - and there will always be something out there to fill a need.

i must admit - i wish my garage were more empty!

DonH
01-10-2020, 07:08 AM
To each his own but the less I think about things the happier I am. Acquiring and coveting things became so time consuming and distracting. Like Tyler Darden said...The things you own end up owning you.

I agree 100%

merckx
01-10-2020, 07:18 AM
I've Kundera'd my way through a few bicycles in my lifetime, though no more than two at a time. I've concluded that it is profoundly satisfying to physically connect with one machine at a moment. When a lot of time is invested in turning the pedals, every minute increment of connection that we have with the machine becomes important. A fraction of a degree of saddle tilt, a millimeter or three of pedal spread difference, or where the brake levers are attached to the bar curve between various machines can distract from the simple pleasure of leveraging the body forward on two wheels. For some, it makes no difference. These lucky individuals can indiscriminately throw a leg over any bicycle and always come home hollowed-out, happy and hungry. For me, it takes a while to settle in so that I become the machine, or the machine becomes me. I've had the pleasure of riding a bicycle for a duration long enough to see it tossed into a dumpster. Once very expensive machines that didn't have one pedal stroke remaining.

Tickdoc
01-10-2020, 07:18 AM
I feel for ya. You are but one click away from the next bike that you must have:cool:

pbarry
01-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Ride as much as you wrench. 🌈

parris
01-10-2020, 08:08 AM
I'm slightly struggling with paring down what I have for bikes. There are 3 that I just don't ride but I keep them for what they are... I actually built up a previously stripped bike to lend to my niece's boyfriend last summer but before I could get it to them they broke up. Another one is my old race bike that although it's got up to date components just doesn't fit me all that well. The final is a decent carbon bike that was part of a barter deal. It's good but I've just never clicked with it. The 3 bikes are a Bridgestone RB-1, Serotta Club Special, and Specailized Roubaix.

I envy people that can clean out easily.

skiezo
01-10-2020, 08:49 AM
I am trying to get down to a three bike stable this year. Ill see how that goes.
I have 3 or 4 that will be on the chopping block and have one that is kinda in limbo land at the present time.
But I will be adding another at some point. Once I do that im not sure what will happen.
Oh to be at just a couple of bikes.

jpritchet74
01-10-2020, 08:58 AM
I have been able to keep a couple road bikes at my parents place and this Christmas I bought an old cx at my inlaws' house. Great trick to keep it less crowded at home. Being roughly the same size as my wife has also been a solution to get a new bike through the door. But I do agree with the OP, it is a nice feeling to trim the stable. Some bikes are missed more than others.

This method has helped me greatly. My C40 sits at a friend's house in Hawaii for when I am there for work. Then my Extreme Power and Scott Spark are at my office in Colorado for when I am there for work. When I go to those places its "oh hello there beautiful..."

I couldn't bring myself to trim the heard, so I spread it out.

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 09:18 AM
I've Kundera'd my way through a few bicycles in my lifetime, though no more than two at a time. I've concluded that it is profoundly satisfying to physically connect with one machine at a moment. When a lot of time is invested in turning the pedals, every minute increment of connection that we have with the machine becomes important. A fraction of a degree of saddle tilt, a millimeter or three of pedal spread difference, or where the brake levers are attached to the bar curve between various machines can distract from the simple pleasure of leveraging the body forward on two wheels. For some, it makes no difference. These lucky individuals can indiscriminately throw a leg over any bicycle and always come home hollowed-out, happy and hungry. For me, it takes a while to settle in so that I become the machine, or the machine becomes me. I've had the pleasure of riding a bicycle for a duration long enough to see it tossed into a dumpster. Once very expensive machines that didn't have one pedal stroke remaining.

I, too, hunger for a more streamlined stable. But "in the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine."

So, when contemplating selling one of my customs steeds, there's that...

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 09:21 AM
Here we are just nine short days into 2020 and I am down to just two bikes - my Kirk and my Ellis. It is a strange feeling, but nice...in a way. It makes it easy to feel good about obsessing over the minutae of those two - a Phil headset for the Kirk is finally in (had to match the hubs) and maybe I'll get a Phil BB for the DA cranks too (yes, they make them for 24mm outboard) - plus the Ellis is still undergoing some little tweaks here and there.. Dunno. I could get used to this.

Good for you. I'd like to get there. Much healthier place, methinks.

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 09:32 AM
This thread reminded me of one of my very first movie crushes. Talk about nostalgia...

zlin
01-10-2020, 09:33 AM
put phone in pocket, open garage, take bike out, close garage, go for a ride - problem solved :D

texbike
01-10-2020, 09:47 AM

Careful! An empty garage is like a vacuum - it'll suck stuff into it until it's full again.

To each his own but the less I think about things the happier I am. I used to collect Italian cars, Italian motorcycles, bicycles, classical guitars, and archery equipment. Acquiring and coveting things became so time consuming and distracting. Like Tyler Darden said...The things you own end up owning you. I now have one car, bicycle, guitar, and bow. No more motorcycles and no more searching for something elusive, more perfect, better, etc. I now focus on the music and not the guitar, the ride and not the bicycle, the next shot and not the bow. But that’s just me, do what you like and be happy.

^ I LOVE this! I need to take the same approach.

Texbike

rallizes
01-10-2020, 10:03 AM
it's one thing to get rid of some bikes

it's another to stop looking for them because you will soon find one

are you still looking?

that said, good to see the OP possibly getting a handle on what could be called a compulsion

merckx
01-10-2020, 10:05 AM
I, too, hunger for a more streamlined stable. But "in the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine."

So, when contemplating selling one of my customs steeds, there's that...

Don't let existential threats steal your soul.

azrider
01-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Woah man, this was deep. Love it.

This thread reminded me of one of my very first movie crushes. Talk about nostalgia...

Ha....guessing we're about he same age, I was big fan of Lena Olin also but nobody was taking the place of Cindy Mancini .....ha

NHAero
01-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Favorite Thoreau quote:
A man is rich in proportion to the amount of things he can afford to let alone.
You, sir, have nailed it! However...

When I find a good home for my old Klein MTB I'll be down to nine bikes. They all get ridden. And they span a wide use range, because the bikes are transportation as well as recreation. Four get regular use. In addition, the Big Dummy goes shopping or to the beach, the ancient Raleigh 20 folder gets left at the ferry because I worry least about it being filched, the Nagasawa fixie is just for fun, etc. I'm debating about the Bilenky tandem, though, we didn't ride it this year. So maybe I'll get down to eight. I definitely am at the one in, one out stage though. If I get a coupled travel bike, the Anderson will go. It's hard to imagine something replacing the Firefly or the Nagasawa!

mhespenheide
01-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Ride as much as you wrench. 🌈

I might modify that to "Ride more than you wrench and shop/browse."

I'm giving myself this advice.

seanile
01-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Don't let existential threats steal your soul.

that's actually a wonderful way to express that in the context that you gave it. kudos.

pbarry
01-10-2020, 11:24 AM
I might modify that to "Ride more than you wrench and shop/browse."

I'm giving myself this advice.

But in Clean’s case, he would certainly overtrain. ;)

parallelfish
01-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Here we are just nine short days into 2020 and I am down to just two bikes - my Kirk and my Ellis.

Pictures or it’s not true :)

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 11:27 AM

C40_guy
01-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Favorite Thoreau quote:
A man is rich in proportion to the amount of things he can afford to let alone.
You, sir, have nailed it! However...

When I find a good home for my old Klein MTB I'll be down to nine bikes.

I have a mid-90s Klein that hasn't seen dirt in way too long. I've been holding onto it on the off chance that someone will need a bike to ride. The reality is that it's just taking up space and should go to someone who will enjoy a classic hardtail.

And the Cannondale WS R800 bought for my son 16 years ago, when a full size road bike was too big for him. Then he grew and took over my Colnago Crystal. Daughter briefly rode the Cannondale. It hasn't seen pavement in way too long as well. Needs to go to someone who will enjoy it.

And the Dream CX which always has been, and will increasingly (!), be just a bit too large for me.

And a couple of others...

Anyone know of a good forum where I can sell some classic bikes and bike parts? :)

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 11:42 AM
it's one thing to get rid of some bikes

it's another to stop looking for them because you will soon find one

are you still looking?

that said, good to see the OP possibly getting a handle on what could be called a compulsion

I can't speak for the OP, but it definitely describes me. I used buying bikes to assuage personal stress. The steel frame I'm in the process of purchasing will be my ISFD (I'm So Fu**ing Done) bike. What a relief. Time to concentrate on riding, and more importantly, family.

jtbadge
01-10-2020, 11:46 AM
I have a complete road bike build (Ultegra 6800 group, Bitex/H Plus Son wheels, Ritchey/Nitto/Brooks cockpit) - minus the frame - sitting in a box right now. The urge to buy something I don't need is palpable.

72gmc
01-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Have 2 now, trying to decide if 3 would be just right. Road, MTB, maybe add a cross or all-road. Maybe.

Thanks for the Lena Olin reminder. She's probably why I saw the movie rather than reading the book.

flying
01-10-2020, 12:54 PM
In over 30 years of riding I have never had more than 1 bike at a time.

I guess these days I actually do have two but only because I leave one in another country I visit each year on vacation & did not like the traveling internationally with a bike ordeal.

But as to having just one bike...It started long ago because I was young & raising a family but later it became the same realization Ducatu2 mentioned (edited/shortened)
To each his own but the less I think about things the happier I am.I now focus on the music and not the guitar, the ride and not the bicycle

Not to mention this way I never have option anxiety as to which to ride or which do I like more :) Like a wife I just have one ....The one I love

weisan
01-10-2020, 01:23 PM
True enlightenment is reached when you remain untouched whether you have one bike or ten bikes in your garage.

You are no longer attached.

It's just a number.

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 01:37 PM
True enlightenment is reached when you remain untouched whether you have one bike or ten bikes in your garage.

It's just a number.

Fully transcending causes and conditions, yes. I'm not quite there yet.

chiasticon
01-10-2020, 01:51 PM
you keep bicycles this fine in the garage!?!

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Kirk007
01-10-2020, 02:07 PM
I'm waiting for Dan to announce his bicycle finder concierge service. I mean, the bikes Dan has found and put together over the past two years, and in not so easily found large sizes - it's amazing.

So, you send him your desired parameters and for a small fee Dan presents bike after bike of fine droolworthy possible aquisitions. And for additional fees such acquisition could be rebuilt with certain parts levels. The thrill of the chase is satisfied, the client gets a great product; I dunno this could evolve into a full time way to live the good life in Bend!

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 02:10 PM

It's just a number.

Hmm. Not sure about that one. But, the more I think about it, the more I think this was one of the best thread titles in a long time. Makes too much sense to be coincidental. I highly recommend the book.

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 02:52 PM

colker
01-10-2020, 03:47 PM
In over 30 years of riding I have never had more than 1 bike at a time.

I guess these days I actually do have two but only because I leave one in another country I visit each year on vacation & did not like the traveling internationally with a bike ordeal.

But as to having just one bike...It started long ago because I was young & raising a family but later it became the same realization Ducatu2 mentioned (edited/shortened)

Not to mention this way I never have option anxiety as to which to ride or which do I like more :) Like a wife I just have one ....The one I love

That´s my MO as well. I may build a second pair of wheels... have a rainy day and a fast day wheel. maybe....

Jeff N.
01-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Down to just two bikes....boy, that'll be the day.....

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 05:36 PM

rallizes
01-10-2020, 05:54 PM
but there is a MTB incoming, no?

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 06:07 PM

warren128
01-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Wow, I couldn't believe what I was reading, Dan :)

Your acquisitions and subsequent sell-offs over the last few years were truly epic and your quest for cool rides was very interesting. And many of us, me included, benefited from the sales too.

End of an era? Or a new beginning soon? :banana: :)

booglebug
01-10-2020, 07:28 PM
Awaiting the arrival of Dan’s Firefly with no regrets even though I have 3 other road bikes , a Seven Elium, Seven Axiom, and Caad 10. Have bought and sold many bikes to get to this point including Eriksen, Colnago, Indy Fab, Lynsey and other top frames.. I look at this different, riding different frames is like riding different routes, it’s never the same as the last ride on the same route with the other bike. Kinda like Seven’s but have always wanted to ride a Firefly so no regrets. At 59 years young it’s hard to say but the clock is ticking, my 5000 miles a year is going to be on something nice and not always the same.

grateful
01-10-2020, 07:36 PM
Also what I am working on.

weisan
01-10-2020, 09:14 PM
So lonely...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200110/991293829767a9f2dea9d6cd1934fe98.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I thought a typical marriage involves only husband and wife.

d_douglas
01-10-2020, 09:34 PM
So lonely...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200110/991293829767a9f2dea9d6cd1934fe98.jpg

Seeing the modest, but cool, bike behind the Ellis, I wonder if your spouse compensate for your extravagances here with their selection of ride?

I bought my wife a Sycip mixte for her 40th, but she wanted to sell it. I think part of it was so that she could demonstrate her modest tastes while I threw away thousands on stuff that essentially does the same thing in her mind :) :help:

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 09:36 PM

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 09:50 PM

Themountaintop
01-11-2020, 02:03 AM
Less is more :)

sailorboy
01-11-2020, 07:35 AM
This method has helped me greatly. My C40 sits at a friend's house in Hawaii for when I am there for work. Then my Extreme Power and Scott Spark are at my office in Colorado for when I am there for work. When I go to those places its "oh hello there beautiful..."

I couldn't bring myself to trim the heard, so I spread it out.

I like this plan. This season I'm planning to spread the merckx/serotta/saratoga/sachs/bishop/zanconato/44 around a few places that I'll frequent during the season so I always have something awesome to ride when I'm there.

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 12:37 AM

Louis
01-17-2020, 01:34 AM
OK, someone has to say it - every time I read the title of this thread, I can't help but think of Lena Olin:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/17/0b/2f/170b2f0dd4e4e3870df1349b45ddea62.jpg

cgolvin
01-17-2020, 10:09 AM
...and what's more, I ride the Kirk on my smart-trainer :eek:

This makes me feel slightly better -- I just acquired a KICKR and the only bike I can put on it is my Ottrott, was feeling kinda bad about that.

I'm now playing with the idea of buying a steel frame and an absolute minimal build (i.e., no wheels, no brakes) for the trainer instead. Pretty sure that Tony at Bicycle Odyssey still has a small Della Santa at a bargain price…

madsciencenow
01-17-2020, 10:11 AM
This makes me feel slightly better -- I just acquired a KICKR and the only bike I can put on it is my Ottrott, was feeling kinda bad about that.

I'm now playing with the idea of buying a steel frame and an absolute minimal build (i.e., no wheels, no brakes) for the trainer instead. Pretty sure that Tony at Bicycle Odyssey still has a small Della Santa at a bargain price…

I got an old Caad5 about a year ago for trainer work and built it up w no brakes or rear wheel. It’s been really nice not lugging a bike around my house.

weisan
01-17-2020, 10:15 AM
Well, we are moving into a condo in a short seven days.

The good news is I like the location, it has a decent fitness center for cross training, and it at least has a storage unit in the garage that I can setup a little mobile workspace in..

The other news though is that there is definitely no room for any more bikes than my Kirk and my Ellis, and my pain cave is going to be a pain hallway.

So, I'm a two-bike guy for the foreseeable future. I think I'm okay with that.

It will be a change of pace for sure, but maybe that's a good thing :rolleyes:

We were in the same situation 10 years ago.
I sold almost all my bikes, left two, only one is a road bike, the other a MTB.
Was doing fine with just one dedicated bike until I got the itch.
Ended up paying $300 for an old dodge minivan (grand caravan), parked it permanently on the corner of the parking lot far away from everybody so I don't take up precious space and used it as a storage. With the back seats all taken out, I managed to put 6 bikes inside.

Just a thought, not trying to tempt you to do the same.

ChristianWong
01-17-2020, 10:53 AM
We were in the same situation 10 years ago.
I sold almost all my bikes, left two, only one is a road bike, the other a MTB.
Was doing fine with just one dedicated bike until I got the itch.
Ended up paying $300 for an old dodge minivan (grand caravan), parked it permanently on the corner of the parking lot far away from everybody so I don't take up precious space and used it as a storage. With the back seats all taken out, I managed to put 6 bikes inside.

Just a thought, not trying to tempt you to do the same.

Lol don’t do this

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 10:59 AM

I have a huge fan, so sweat doesn't drip. I'd be more concerned about putting stress on the rear pivots of the Ottrott, but I guess if you are mostly spinning, that's not too big of a deal. If you have space for a dedicated setup, a beater frame and a kluged singlespeed mated to the ergo-setup on the Kickr makes a lot of sense.

XXtwindad
01-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Speaking from the experience of someone who's gone down a huge rabbit hole with buying bike the past year, I think a big part of the allure of purchasing a unique (or new) frame is all the accolades it receives on the Forum.

What if you couldn't display it on "Custom" thread? Would that make a difference in your desire to purchase it? I'm not being flip. It certainly motivated at least one of my purchases...

cgolvin
01-17-2020, 11:33 AM
I have a huge fan, so sweat doesn't drip. I'd be more concerned about putting stress on the rear pivots of the Ottrott, but I guess if you are mostly spinning, that's not too big of a deal. If you have space for a dedicated setup, a beater frame and a kluged singlespeed mated to the ergo-setup on the Kickr makes a lot of sense.

It's a GS so maybe slightly less concern without the ST bearings, but still…
I don't see the need to go to single speed -- figure I could get Ultegra cranks, BB, and shift group for ~$300, have surplus cockpit bits, so then just the frameset and Bob's my uncle.

jtbadge
01-17-2020, 11:46 AM
It's a GS so maybe slightly less concern without the ST bearings, but still…
I don't see the need to go to single speed -- figure I could get Ultegra cranks, BB, and shift group for ~$300, have surplus cockpit bits, so then just the frameset and Bob's my uncle.

I have a beat up 9 speed Ultegra group that would be perfect for trainer duty. Cheap. Let me know!

cgolvin
01-17-2020, 12:14 PM
I have a beat up 9 speed Ultegra group that would be perfect for trainer duty. Cheap. Let me know!

Appreciate it James, but the trainer has a nearly new Ultegra 11 cassette on it so I’d be looking for 11 speed

mhespenheide
01-17-2020, 01:37 PM
We're off-topic, but in my mind, "trainer bike" = previous-generation (or earlier) aluminum.

SoCalSteve
01-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Since giving up the county bike storage ( 2 bikes for $150 a year ) cuz it leaked, I only have room for 2 bikes in my 918 sq ft condo at the beach. I sold off a ton of bikes when I gave up the storage and ended up with 2 new disc specific bikes.

The 3rd and last bike I own is sitting in my buddies garage all wrapped up. It’s my beloved Ottrott. I will probably never ride it again as I prefer disc brakes.
It’s for sale, if anyone wants it.

Anyway, I feel ya Dan, seriously.

Robot870
01-17-2020, 01:50 PM
Used to have it all, Cars, motorcycles, jet skis, tons of bikes and a house. Sold it ALL and only kept my Indy Fab, moved into the city. Never knew I could be so happy with just one bike and some serious audio equipment ! lol

cgolvin
01-17-2020, 01:56 PM
We're off-topic

Sure, but why stop now? OK, I'll plan to post a WTB if that Della Santa doesn't work out.

in my mind, "trainer bike" = previous-generation (or earlier) aluminum.

I'd be fine with aluminum, or steel, just inexpensive and something I won't worry about the effect of voluminous amounts of sweat. (After he repainted my Gios, I promised Joe Bell that it would never go on a trainer again.)

thegunner
01-17-2020, 02:00 PM
I'd be fine with aluminum, or steel, just inexpensive and something I won't worry about the effect of voluminous amounts of sweat. (After he repainted my Gios, I promised Joe Bell that it would never go on a trainer again.)

Still OT, but i'm space cramped in an apartment and have a speedvagen with etap sitting on the trainer. i'm always envious of you folks with garages and basements.

C40_guy
01-17-2020, 02:05 PM
We're off-topic, but in my mind, "trainer bike" = previous-generation (or earlier) aluminum.

Mine's a mid-90s Trek aluminum, with well used silver Record/Chorus 10 parts, the same seat I have on all my other road bikes, and a sacrificial (cheap) rear wheel with a trainer tire. No front wheel or brake.

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 04:00 PM

XXtwindad
01-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Well, maybe not the accolades, so much as just the community around sharing a passion for handmade and carefully curated bicycles.. Much like a restorer of classic cars, I enjoy the hunt, the process of building something beautiful and getting my hands dirty, of showing it and discussing it while working on it and when done, and best of all....riding it to experience the unique feel, connecting with the lineage, the history, and all of that.

That said, every hobby takes time and a certain amount of space. For the next little while, at least one of those will be in shorter supply for me.. So, I plan to adjust, and put the time into riding, cross-training, and other pursuits - maybe more reading up on history, maybe learning more about design and framebuilding, who knows.

Yep, I could of course get a storage unit - it just isn't the same as wandering down to your garage after dinner to polish and tune and wrap some fresh tape.

I'm looking forward to the change of pace - of being able to walk to coffee and all that. Less space means less cleaning too.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is setting my stereo back up and playing records again. We have a whole-house speaker system in our current place that is fine for background listening and streaming - but my meager semi-audiophile setup mostly sits dormant in the basement. In our new place, we'll be using the full stereo setup in the living room and will have all the records out and ready to go. A little Keith Jarrett live should be a good way to warm the condo once we're in.

At least you have room for a trainer - and a sweet bike - glass half full and all that :)

I'm liking this for a head badge.

thegunner
01-17-2020, 04:24 PM
At least you have room for a trainer - and a sweet bike - glass half full and all that :)

haha, i mean, sure, but compared to your collection at peak? :p

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Learning about - not doing! Lolz. I do not have the steadiness or coordination to build anything that isn't screwing together...

cgolvin
01-17-2020, 05:15 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but by my judgment it has been a while since Dan had a bike with a 39 ring, clean or not.

Clean39T
01-17-2020, 05:20 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but by my judgment it has been a while since Dan had a bike with a 39 ring, clean or not.Bwahaha... So true. Had one a few months ago, running 39x29. Living in Portland with steep streets, I'll be on 34x30 or lower for the foreseeable future.

jtakeda
01-17-2020, 05:26 PM
One of the things I'm really looking forward to is setting my stereo back up and playing records again. We have a whole-house speaker system in our current place that is fine for background listening and streaming - but my meager semi-audiophile setup mostly sits dormant in the basement. In our new place, we'll be using the full stereo setup in the living room and will have all the records out and ready to go. A little Keith Jarrett live should be a good way to warm the condo )

Hold onto the bikes.

I’ll take those blue notes on the other hand...

Clean39T
01-30-2020, 10:53 AM

hollowgram5
02-06-2020, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately the records and stereo ended up in storage - went to a short-term semi-furnished rental..

The view is nice though:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200130/b4f5edff19a23f7ddb8e7b289c4ef0b6.jpg

And the bikes seem happy:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200130/723e05d0e3c0b076a162d96949a8621f.jpg

I do still need a city-bike though....That view is quite wonderful!

Clean39T
02-06-2020, 04:59 PM

robt57
02-06-2020, 05:09 PM
The view is great

Seen it a few hundred times, from a little closer to the ground of course. Like 45-50 inches from the ground rolling. Being from NJ and seeing the GW Bridge and Hudson River from my parents house/windows, I always love a river view myself. And repeated crossings on bike also of course. ;)

KarlC
02-06-2020, 05:35 PM
I do still need a city-bike though....

Like a F10 with Disks ??

:fight:

Clean39T
02-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Like a F10 with Disks ??

:fight:

:eek: :D

ntb1001
02-06-2020, 06:22 PM
Down to just my Parlee with Campy 11 EPS and a Cervelo with mech. Record 11...but have a vintage Bianchi build I’m working on.
Trying to get rid of stuff too....gave away 2 surround systems and a older home stereo/amps/speakers just to streamline.
I replaced everything with a Sonos system...clean and wireless.
Now I have to get rid of some of my cameras

jr59
02-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Don’t feel bad Dan. I was down to zero bikes! But got a bit better and now only one. It’s not bad at all. I enjoy the riding of my single bike a lot more now. I know you enjoy the artistic end of custom bikes, maybe as much as riding them.

Take the time, enjoy the ride. As Warren Zevon said, enjoy every sandwich.

Oh yeah, My weight is up to 235, and I can now ride about 50 miles at a time now. Still slow, but I get there.

Black Dog
02-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Don’t feel bad Dan. I was down to zero bikes! But got a bit better and now only one. It’s not bad at all. I enjoy the riding of my single bike a lot more now. I know you enjoy the artistic end of custom bikes, maybe as much as riding them.

Oh yeah, My weight is up to 235, and I can now ride about 50 miles at a time now. Still slow, but I get there.

:)

Clean39T
02-07-2020, 11:00 AM

That's great news!

JasonF
03-23-2020, 05:30 PM
Down to one (very tough to beat) Kirk....

chrisroph
03-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Wow, urban life east side of burnside bridge!