PDA

View Full Version : Zipp 101 hub question

duff_duffy
01-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Trying to help someone out...anyone know off hand if this would fit 11 speed Shimano cassette? Zipp 101 wheel.

cgolvin
01-09-2020, 02:00 PM
I realize that I am not answering your specific question, but perhaps this is helpful info.

I have a set of Zipp 303 10 speed wheels, think they're ~2015 or so. They have a Campy freehub body and can run an 11 speed cassetteā€¦but the tolerance is extremely tight. I have two spacers and the RD just barely clears the spokes with a 29 cog; I suspect I couldn't make it work with a smaller ratio cassette.

tuscanyswe
01-09-2020, 02:14 PM
I realize that I am not answering your specific question, but perhaps this is helpful info.

I have a set of Zipp 303 10 speed wheels, think they're ~2015 or so. They have a Campy freehub body and can run an 11 speed cassetteā€¦but the tolerance is extremely tight. I have two spacers and the RD just barely clears the spokes with a 29 cog; I suspect I couldn't make it work with a smaller ratio cassette.

Actually that may not help a lot as 10 speed campy hubs were almost always compatible with 11s campy cassettes as well. Whilst this is not the case with many shimano bodys. Many (if not most) 10s era shimano bodys are not 11s road cassette compatible (they will still accept an 11s mtb cassette tho.

Regarding the issue, perhaps someone recognize the hub and have inside knowledge but i think its very hard to tell from just looking at bodies.
I think the zipp 101s that were 11s compatible had so stated on the freehub. Or at least thats what google came up with.

Mark McM
01-09-2020, 02:31 PM
You'd have to try it be sure, but I'm guessing that an 11spd cassette won't work. With 11spd cassettes, the largest sprocket is offset inward from the bottom of the splines (i.e., the largest sprocket is offset toward the flange). In the photo shown, there bottom of the splines is nearly flush with the hub shell, leaving no room to offset the sprocket inward. As the offsets and clearances we're talking about could be a millimeter or less, it can't be seen for sure from a simple photo.

duff_duffy
01-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Thanks all....always love the feedback on this forum!

nublar
01-09-2020, 03:46 PM
You can run 11 speed mtb shimano/sram free hubs on 10 speed shimano/sram road free hubs. I believe the lowest mtb gearing is 11-34T