PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone Watch the Last Two Nights of Jeopordy?

Hawker
01-09-2020, 11:45 AM
They've had two nights of the top three all-time Champions and tonight is the last night to choose the "GOAT". It's also a bit of a tribute to Alex Trebek who is not doing well in his fight with pancreatic cancer.

Obviously the questions have been a bit tougher given the quality of the competitors...but gosh, there are lots of questions AND answers I don't even understand. I mean who knows 14th Century Russian Monarchs?

However there was a Jazz category and a Bible category I aced. :) In your face Ken Jennings! All of the three players seem to like one another and it's been great TV.

How about a Tour De France category??

bikinchris
01-09-2020, 01:20 PM
I just enjoy watching. If I have a handful of answers, I am happy.
Worse than knowing the Russian monarchs, how about knowing what decade they were crowned?

MattTuck
01-09-2020, 01:41 PM
yeah, that decades category was one of the most difficult I could remember.

When was the start of the Tudor monarchy? Yeesh!

My observation compared to the James' run on the regular show... the other two guys are very fast on the buzzer as well. It seemed that James would regularly buzz in first on most of the clues. These guys are holding their own.

ScottW
01-09-2020, 03:13 PM
What amazed me about Ken's run back in the day was that he almost never lost a buzz-in. Of course, rarely being wrong was also a big contributor.

James is good at buzzing in too but he combined it with the strategy of starting with the questions lower on the board, so you race for the big money and the daily doubles first and leave the low-dollar scraps for the end. Since I started watching in the 80s (off and on, not every night) the game had overwhelmingly been played top-down.

I do okay playing along when I get the chance to watch. Lately I've even been having a decent success rate on final jeopardy, which is not normal for me. AFAIK it's not due to me gaining any deeper knowledge of useless trivia, so perhaps the questions are getting easier. Haven't seen the past couple of nights though.

wc1934
01-09-2020, 03:39 PM
They've had two nights of the top three all-time Champions and tonight is the last night to choose the "GOAT". It's also a bit of a tribute to Alex Trebek who is not doing well in his fight with pancreatic cancer.

Obviously the questions have been a bit tougher given the quality of the competitors...but gosh, there are lots of questions AND answers I don't even understand. I mean who knows 14th Century Russian Monarchs?

However there was a Jazz category and a Bible category I aced. :) In your face Ken Jennings! All of the three players seem to like one another and it's been great TV.

How about a Tour De France category??

This past regular season they did have a tour category.

The knowledge/recall of these guys is unbelievable - wonder if they have photographic memories.
I am rooting for James (up by about 30K as of last nite)- he basically changed the way the game is played.

pinkshogun
01-09-2020, 03:46 PM
its very enjoyable. ken and james are in a league of their own.

the questions have been extra difficult. i usually get about 20 to 25 answers correct during the regular show but about half that amount now

Ken Robb
01-09-2020, 04:12 PM
I'm old enough to sometimes be slow to remember a name though I can recite the person's entire family and biography. I was amused that the question about Dreyfuss affected me and a finalist the same way. I said to my wife "it's the guy whose name starts with a D that Zola wrote about and the finalist's answer was "J'acuse" which, of course, is the title of Zola's book on the Dreyfuss Affair.

Themountaintop
01-09-2020, 04:23 PM
It's incredibly fun watching these 3 titans battle it out, well, 2 titans as it turns out. It's also great to see Trebek still fighting the good fight out there.

Hawker
01-09-2020, 04:24 PM
I'm old enough to sometimes be slow to remember a name though I can recite the person's entire family and biography. I was amused that the question about Dreyfuss affected me and a finalist the same way. I said to my wife "it's the guy whose name starts with a D that Zola wrote about and the finalist's answer was "J'acuse" which, of course, is the title of Zola's book on the Dreyfuss Affair.

Yep, I can often remember every detail about an answer....except an actual name. Sigh, getting older doesn't bode well on a game show.

I would love to have seen the TDF questions! :)

SpaceOdyssey
01-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Watching the last two nights, I am surprised Ken has never beaten Brad (so far).

James is definitely holding his own as he and Ken are tied 1 match each. First to get 3 is the million dollars winner and GOAT.

Since these are not live It will end as early as Friday but no later than next Thursday (no Monday episode)

echappist
01-13-2020, 01:05 PM
This past regular season they did have a tour category.

The knowledge/recall of these guys is unbelievable - wonder if they have photographic memories.
I am rooting for James (up by about 30K as of last nite)- he basically changed the way the game is played.

indeed. Along with the poise and composure, which really showed in that before-middle-after category.

I don't watch much Jeopardy lately, but this version of Tournament of Champions (in contrast to the gimmicky tag-team version they previously had), is certainly worth watching.

dgauthier
01-14-2020, 09:22 AM
My wife and I are loving it. Another game is scheduled for tonight (Tuesday)!

My wife thinks Alex Trebek might announce his retirement at the end of this tournament. His current contract runs out in 2020. My respect for Mr. Trebek has increased about 1000x since his diagnosis. What a graceful, elegant man.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Big Jeopardy fan and loving the GOAT shows. Loved James and thought he was unbeatable until he went up against Ken J, not looking so unbeatable anymore.

redir
01-14-2020, 10:31 AM
I have enjoyed watching those and yeah it's been difficult. The before and after ones get me all the time. Ken is a trivia encyclopedia but James is smart with numbers so they wage war in different ways. Not sure whats going on with Rutter, he's just not on the ball I guess.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Rutter mentioned early on his recall had slowed down and it's very evident.

redir
01-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Rutter mentioned early on his recall had slowed down and it's very evident.

That's right I remember he said that and against Jennings that's gonna hurt. Ken's technique is to click in on the buzzer every time even if he doesn't know it, then he'll just figure it out. It's great to watch.

Zmony
01-14-2020, 10:42 AM
That's right I remember he said that and against Jennings that's gonna hurt. Ken's technique is to click in on the buzzer every time even if he doesn't know it, then he'll just figure it out. It's great to watch.

Think you are right about Ken's technique, seems he buzzes in then works on his answer - which is almost always correct.