PDA

View Full Version : Why do you cycle?

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 09:53 AM
The recent Paceline "weight loss" thread is really interesting. As a personal trainer, I have a keen interest in why people to chose to move (or not). One of the things I've always maintained is that "reframing" the idea of exercise is imperative for long-term success.

I'm curious where people would rank fitness and/or fat loss in their motivations for cycling.

Here's my top reasons for cycling:

1) Clears my head/makes me feel good. This is far and away the main reason.
2) Cycling is a "passport" to new and interesting sights and great vistas.
3) Cycling is a great way to maintain friendships. (Although I really enjoy riding solo)
4) Cycling helps keep me fit.

Others?

NHAero
01-08-2020, 09:55 AM
Others:
- Low environmental impact
- Fastest way to get somewhere with short distances and heavy traffic

The recent Paceline "weight loss" thread is really interesting. As a personal trainer, I have a keen interest in why people to chose to move (or not). One of the things I've always maintained is that "reframing" the idea of exercise is imperative for long-term success.

I'm curious where people would rank fitness and/or fat loss in their motivations for cycling.

3) Cycling is a great way to maintain friendships. (Although I really enjoy riding solo)

Others?

cmb5286
01-08-2020, 10:01 AM
Mostly to stay fit. But I can blame my friends for getting my into cycling. Honestly this is the most active I've been since high school (I'm 33).

But there is something to be said for getting out on a nice ride by yourself. Hard days at work, kids driving you crazy at home, etc.

cmg
01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

These are my real motivators. Weight will fluctuate.

That and the exercise helps keep the joints flexible.

Veloo
01-08-2020, 10:21 AM
All the above, and:

1) FREE PARKING!!!!!!!
2) Avoid the frustration of looking for parking in Toronto
3) Parking pretty much right at the door of my destination
4) meeting new, interesting people
5) to get to Nom Nom Nom Poutine (shameless plug, I'm not the owner)
6) to ride off Nom Nom Nom Poutine

madsciencenow
01-08-2020, 10:23 AM
XX, your reasons all resonate with me. Your first reason is the most important and I would go so far as to say it’s a necessity for me to do something nearly every day. Without exercise I get irritable and can be tough to be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

commandcomm
01-08-2020, 01:31 PM
1. I don't like running, so cycling a good form of exercise.

1a. Commuting once or twice a week is way to stay in shape and still solving the problem of getting to work.

2. The bike is pretty easy machine to work on, so a good hobby in this way. It does not take too much to figure out how to fix something or install something. The last few bikes I owned, I bought the frame and built it up myself from various parts I buy here and there.

Matthew
01-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Loved it since I was a kid, really. Freedom to get away. Fitness. I simply love bikes. The parts, the asthetics, the beauty of a drivetrain. Hanging out with riding buddies. Sense of accomplishment in achieving a goal. Racing. Completing a hilly century. Among many other things!

ernmony
01-08-2020, 01:44 PM
I cycle to balance my alcohol and potato chips intake.

5oakterrace
01-08-2020, 01:47 PM
Cycling stills my mind. Leaves me relaxed. Wonderful way to be present where I am and release the matters that normally occupy my thoughts. Consider it a way to deal with anxiety - a form of prayer if you will.

I control cycling so at some level it is empowering, probably the only thing in my life I can so impact. Don't have so much effect on the family and the workplace. No one gives me any grief.

The physical "push, push" is an exploration of my potential and, as such, a revelation of whatever it is I have within me. I rarely ride with anyone and enjoy rollers and often rollers in silence, so maybe I am an odd duck.

CAAD
01-08-2020, 01:48 PM
1-Clears my head
2-The ****-talking with guys/gals with a like-minded passion. I work from home so I don't have coworkers to banter with anymore.
3-I can drink beer and eat what I want. Then burn it off the next day.

donevwil
01-08-2020, 01:48 PM
I love the outdoors and physical activity, but due to a right knee and left ankle with torn ligaments and tendons running and often hiking are out.

nesteel
01-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Overweight diabetic with high blood pressure.
Any side benefit after helping control my blood sugar and blood pressure is just icing on the cake.

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 01:50 PM
I cycle to balance my alcohol and potato chips intake.

Well, ernmony PAL, if you're drinking Guinness, I hope you've signed up for some Gran Fondos this year. You'll need them...

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Really appreciate the responses so far. It's very helpful as a PT. I'm always trying to study and learn about people's motivations. What I've found, generally speaking, is that the HOW is often less important than the WHY.

The how is the diet or workout method that promises XXX.

The why is the motivation behind why someone is doing it. That's what I'm most interested in. I think there's a much greater chance of success if the answer is "it feels good."

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 01:56 PM
Cycling stills my mind. Leaves me relaxed. Wonderful way to be present where I am and release the matters that normally occupy my thoughts. Consider it a way to deal with anxiety - a form of prayer if you will.

I control cycling so at some level it is empowering, probably the only thing in my life I can so impact. Don't have so much effect on the family and the workplace. No one gives me any grief.

The physical "push, push" is an exploration of my potential and, as such, a revelation of whatever it is I have within me. I rarely ride with anyone and enjoy rollers and often rollers in silence, so maybe I am an odd duck.

Yes.

seanile
01-08-2020, 01:59 PM
- Fastest way to get somewhere with short distances and heavy traffic
this is pretty much it for me these days. road riding is out due to **** drivers and past experiences (i get home more frustrated than i went out, so there's no head clearing happening for me), dirt is tough to get to often, so i commute and get around the city on a bike for the sake of ease.
ive switched to rock climbing for fitness purposes. edit: and i chose that specifically because it produces functional fitness, i hate the idea of being "strong" but not "fit" if that strength is inapplicable in daily life.

bironi
01-08-2020, 02:02 PM

Others?

I like your list. I'm pretty much aligned with the same priorities.

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 02:05 PM
this is pretty much it for me these days. road riding is out due to **** drivers and past experiences (i get home more frustrated than i went out, so there's no head clearing happening for me), dirt is tough to get to often, so i commute and get around the city on a bike for the sake of ease.
ive switched to rock climbing for fitness purposes. edit: and i chose that specifically because it produces functional fitness, i hate the idea of being "strong" but not "fit" if that strength is inapplicable in daily life.

Just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate: what if I told you that an hour on the Stairmaster would be much more beneficial for fat loss than rock climbing?

seanile
01-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Just for the sake of playing Devil's Advocate: what if I told you that an hour on the Stairmaster would be much more beneficial for fat loss than rock climbing?

fair question, but that wouldn't be compelling because there's nothing functional about being able to go up stairs over and over. rock climbing is a full body effort that requires function mobility to be good at it. it also provides some mass to my woefully neglected upper body (thanks cycling).

if i was solely focused on fat loss and efficient fitness i'd head over to harvard stadium and run a deck of those every other morning as i'd done to get ready for a bike trip to italy a few years ago.

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 02:31 PM
fair question, but that wouldn't be compelling because there's nothing functional about being able to go up stairs over and over. rock climbing is a full body effort that requires function mobility to be good at it. it also provides some mass to my woefully neglected upper body (thanks cycling).

if i was solely focused on fat loss and efficient fitness i'd head over to harvard stadium and run a deck of those every other morning as i'd done to get ready for a bike trip to italy a few years ago.

Absolutely. There's a reason that pull-ups are among the hardest (if not the hardest) movement in the gym. But I'm guessing that you also enjoy rock climbing. And that that's your primary motivation.

I have a "magic pill" theory. If there was a magic pill that could guarantee someone any physique they wanted - ripped, shredded or skinny - with no limitations, except for one: any prior physical activity you enjoyed, you had to completely quit. It would "undo" the effects of the pill. No cycling. (and no eBikes for the trolls). No salsa dancing. No tennis, etc.

How many people so you think would take that pill? I'm guessing at least 90 percent of people in this country. How many people on the Paceline would take that pill? I'm guessing very few. And that's a huge advantage in maintaining long-term fitness. It's actually a gift.

pinoymamba
01-08-2020, 02:31 PM
As a skilled kid growing up and picking up sports really quickly- cycling was the opposite as it required a lot cardio. I found to challenging and still challenging myself to improve. It’s been a bit harder these days since I don’t race anymore but I still try and be on the pointy end on weekend race rides.

Also I ride to eat.

blindwilly
01-08-2020, 02:40 PM
For me fitness is a byproduct of doing what I love to do. I ride bikes, snowboard, hike, etc.. because it is fun. the more fit I am the more fun these activities are. The more I participate in these activities the more fit I become.

Cycling has the added benefits of being free, meditative, and therapeutic. This is why I cycle.

seanile
01-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Cycling has the added benefits of being free...hold up...what do you know that i dont?

blindwilly
01-08-2020, 02:48 PM
hold up...what do you know that i dont?

allow me to clarify. The ACT of cycling is free. I guess I momentarily forgot which forum I was on.

Bentley
01-08-2020, 03:03 PM
For me it’s about being fit, most “excercise” is boring.

I really enjoy the ability to connect with the environment... if you are riding in a nice place, you can take it all in, fresh air, nice scenery, nature... very relaxing... from the perspective of getting away from the stresses of everyday life.

I will add, that I similarly get the same feeling from cutting the grass, trimming bushes... working in the yard.

On the other hand, I work out with a personal trainer about once a week, that is about “doing work”, building strength and remaining flexible.

I feel like you need both.

I think I resonate with most of the responses so you asked a good question.

charliedid
01-08-2020, 03:06 PM
I love riding bikes.

FlashUNC
01-08-2020, 03:16 PM

zambenini
01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
1. Like being outside > inside

2. It's the right speed in that it's faster than walking/running, but not too fast like a car --> so you see plenty of the countryside, but still get a rush out of it or can take your time and enjoy it, sometimes both at once. You can stop and greet other human beings still, drink water, eat an al fresco snack, or take a picture of a toadstool or something. You can grin from getting air or just pedaling really hard and swooping around a turn. It's fun. People who don't ride should give bikes a try. They rule.

3. Exertion is good for more than just the physical body. A neighbor saw me loading up the MTB once and asked if I was going to go exercise. Nah, dude... maybe a few things in common with prayer as well as exercise.

muz
01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
All those bikes are not gonna ride themselves...

colker
01-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Commuting and fitness.

ibis
01-08-2020, 03:42 PM
Everything I do (cycling, surfing, snowboarding, hiking, etc...), I do for fun. The benefits I receive from each of them is just a bonus. The people met doing these activities are an added bonus.

Powerful Pete
01-08-2020, 03:50 PM
What many others have said in this thread already about fitness, freedom, being outside and the like.

But to add, and without trying to sound epic or arrogant, I come from a family of cyclists - my grandfather raced, as did my dad. It was always assumed I would ride - I am physically inept and was always rather awful at team sports - I started riding as a wee young lad to please my dad and found, much to my surprise, I was good at it, could be competitive and enjoyed it.

I've been occasionally cycling and spending lots of money on riding since. :p

clyde the point
01-08-2020, 04:05 PM
When I was a little kid the bike represented freedom and I could get away from mommy. As I grew older I loved the feeling of speed and the rush from turning the cranks. A little later it became more of a transportation thing and maybe that was caused by a DUI and losing a license I dunno.

Mid twenties it was bike shop time then move to CA to get into the biz then I really got a look at top notch equipment. I Martin Imports was a fast track to the upper end of bike junque.

Nowadays, especially after just retuning from 11 miles of singletrack with my hounds, it is a combination of smelling the outdoors, inner peace seeking, and tonnage control. The thrill of speed and the rush of turning the cranks to see the sights keeps me coming back. And it reminds me of my youth, without the bitterness.

I ride my bike to work each shift, rain or shine. It's a stress reliever and the parking garage at work sux a big one.

biker72
01-08-2020, 04:12 PM
I cycle because it's fun.
I've cycled to places in Dallas I never knew existed.

Cycling to Minneapolis, Bentonville, Denver and Milwaukee have been great fun along with checking out the local brewerys.

Cycling helps with weight, blood pressure and cholesterol problems.

Thanks to generally mild winters I can cycle to work most days.

flying
01-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Because for all of my life cycling has always put a smile on my face...literally ;)

Decades ago while cycling I wondered to myself if I were a rich man what would I be doing? I laughed out loud when I thought to myself....."This" :)

Black Dog
01-08-2020, 04:57 PM

Others?

Yours and the following in no definite order:
To be outdoors
Freedom
Sense of movement (like flying without leaving the ground)

flying
01-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Sense of movement (like flying without leaving the ground)

That is exactly how I got my online name decades ago ;)

I would hear the sound of the tubulars & feel the wind on my face & think it is like I'm Flying :)

mcteague
01-08-2020, 05:15 PM

So long and thanks for all the fish! :banana:

Tim

Black Dog
01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Hey, has anyone seen my towel? :confused:

FlashUNC
01-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Hey, has anyone seen my towel? :confused:

Shame. Shouldn't lose your towel. You'll need that later.

mbrtool
01-08-2020, 06:53 PM
XX
Items 1,2 and 4 apply for me but #1 is hard physical play. As I've gotten older cycling is the best way or last option for #1.

Ray

XXtwindad
01-08-2020, 07:06 PM
When I was a little kid the bike represented freedom and I could get away from mommy. As I grew older I loved the feeling of speed and the rush from turning the cranks. A little later it became more of a transportation thing and maybe that was caused by a DUI and losing a license I dunno.

Mid twenties it was bike shop time then move to CA to get into the biz then I really got a look at top notch equipment. I Martin Imports was a fast track to the upper end of bike junque.

Nowadays, especially after just retuning from 11 miles of singletrack with my hounds, it is a combination of smelling the outdoors, inner peace seeking, and tonnage control. The thrill of speed and the rush of turning the cranks to see the sights keeps me coming back. And it reminds me of my youth, without the bitterness.

I ride my bike to work each shift, rain or shine. It's a stress reliever and the parking garage at work sux a big one.

Thanks for all the cool and interesting responses. I've noticed very few people have mentioned "fat loss" high on the list, which is pretty telling.

chuckroast
01-08-2020, 07:06 PM
I do my best thinking on the bike.

Also, I like peanut butter cups....

Clean39T
01-08-2020, 07:29 PM
To experience poetry in motion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

nmrt
01-08-2020, 07:36 PM
If i am honest with myself, I am forced to come to the conclusion that the reason why I bike (or run) is that I am simply addicted to it. There can be no other rational explanation.

mj_michigan
01-08-2020, 08:55 PM
I would hear the sound of the tubulars & feel the wind on my face & think it is like I'm Flying :)

I did not think of this analogy before I read it, but it describes in some way why I enjoy cycling. On a nice day, likely helped by tail wind, I hit a nirvana when I go fast propelled by my muscles.

On the other side, I also enjoyed riding through light snow a few days ago -- temperature just above freezing, no wind, felt warmer than it was; traffic very light, almost non-existent ...

Clean39T
01-08-2020, 09:13 PM
If i am honest with myself, I am forced to come to the conclusion that the reason why I bike (or run) is that I am simply addicted to it. There can be no other rational explanation.That too. Done it so long I can't imagine my life without it...

nmrt
01-08-2020, 09:28 PM
I think for me it is beyond that. I am addicted and I think so are many of us.
Do you not get moody when you cannot bike? Would your significant other want to be around you then? Do you not get "withdrawl" symptoms when you do not partake in it? Arent these classic symptoms of addiction?

That too. Done it so long I can't imagine my life without it...

kingpin75s
01-08-2020, 09:35 PM
For the donuts.

seanile
01-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the cool and interesting responses. I've noticed very few people have mentioned "fat loss" high on the list, which is pretty telling.
i've noticed a fair amount of folks with "fat mitigation" reasoning.

charliedid
01-08-2020, 10:23 PM
I'm skinny

redir
01-08-2020, 10:49 PM
These days for me it's 1,2,3 and 4. All very fine reasons for cycling. I also commute quite a bit an I do that because it makes me feel better and gives me some fitness. When I first started it was all about racing. When I stopped racing I almost have cycling up and wondered why on Earth people actually road their bikes for fun. All my'rides'were training rides. I'm glad I rediscovered cycling for all three aforementioned reasons and in doing so I still hop in on the local bike races just for fun now to.

Vientomas
01-08-2020, 10:58 PM
The joyful sensation of movement derived from piloting a mechanical device through the environment when man and machine become one. The bike is an extension of my being...plus I'm an endorphine junkie. I need to get that fix often and cycling gets me there like few other activities.

mcc21
01-09-2020, 12:17 AM
fitness and relaxation.
of course hanging out with the mates =)

oldpotatoe
01-09-2020, 06:13 AM
Mechanical meditation.
Cuz it's(mostly) fun.
I think for me it is beyond that. I am addicted and I think so are many of us.
Do you not get moody when you cannot bike? Would your significant other want to be around you then? Do you not get "withdrawl" symptoms when you do not partake in it? Arent these classic symptoms of addiction?

No doubt, some here are...addicted...But like anything(like running), it CAN become an obsession. Running, in the late 70s and mid 80s, certainly did for me. BUT, not like that, for ME, and on a bicycle. Wife accused me of 'running away', when I ran..yup, addicted, no doubt but not on bike. Not 'surgically joined' to a bike...YMMV and all that.

I'm sure somebody will say being addicted to riding a bike is better than other 'addictions'..but addictions(and I aren't a MD/psychologist, etc) can be symptoms of something else.

It's keen, has good and 'others' related to it. Not gonna save the world, or anything like that, IMHO..If I couldn't ride a bike, I'd do something else....

marciero
01-09-2020, 06:26 AM
The joyful sensation of movement derived from piloting a mechanical device through the environment when man and machine become one. The bike is an extension of my being...plus I'm an endorphine junkie. I need to get that fix often and cycling gets me there like few other activities.

What other physical activity is so intimately tied to the apparatus? In fact, what human activity of any kind is so intimately tied to a machine or apparatus? The only thing that approaches that level of connection that I can think of is a musical instrument.
Things with motors are a bit removed from that kind of connection.
How about, say, a skier with skis? A rower? Skiers dont describe the skis "disappearing" beneath them. I love riding, but I also love bikes, as a separate thing. Bikes are beautiful things. It's only natural to want to ride that beautiful thing.

oldpotatoe
01-09-2020, 06:31 AM
What other physical activity is so intimately tied to the apparatus? In fact, what human activity of any kind is so intimately tied to a machine or apparatus? The only thing that approaches that level of connection that I can think of is a musical instrument.
Things with motors are a bit removed from that kind of connection.
How about, say, a skier with skis? A rower? Skiers dont describe the skis "disappearing" beneath them. I love riding, but I also love bikes, as a separate thing. Bikes are beautiful things. It's only natural to want to ride that beautiful thing.

Flying, no doubt...You forget about the 'machine' around you..you are the 'thing' moving around the sky, not the person in a machine, but 'you'..no doubt about it. I'm talking about more 'physical' flying..not just going from here to there but acrobatics and some 'military' type flying..:)

marciero
01-09-2020, 07:19 AM
Flying, no doubt...You forget about the 'machine' around you..you are the 'thing' moving around the sky, not the person in a machine, but 'you'..no doubt about it. I'm talking about more 'physical' flying..not just going from here to there but acrobatics and some 'military' type flying..:)

Okay it sounds like that qualifies; esp coming from someone with experience doing both. Maybe I was making a false distinction with things with motors/engines-bikes and planes are both machines.

Likes2ridefar
01-09-2020, 07:31 AM
Cycling enables me to ride a bike path for 35 minutes to work instead of driving for 20 at high speeds in heavy traffic. We need only one car for the family because of this so instead of a Honda and a Kia we have one BMW :)

Cycling enables me to be fitter, happier, and more productive.

The biggest benefit for me is deep thought while in the flow as I like to call it. Read that somewhere once...heavy effort for the first 30 or so minutes then steady state tempo and endurance for a few hours while I’m thinking through the many things I’m currently focused on at home and work.

nikkis
01-09-2020, 07:50 AM
mostly to clear my mind from problems, breath some fresh air and exercise

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 09:13 AM
i've noticed a fair amount of folks with "fat mitigation" reasoning.

But, is that the primary motivation? I haven't seen too many people list that as the main reason for cycling, unless I'm mistaken.

Which makes sense to me, because I think using fat loss as the impetus for exercise is largely unsuccessful. But I started this thread to test a theory and educate myself, so if I'm off base, I'm happy to hear about it.

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 09:14 AM
mostly to clear my mind from problems, breath some fresh air and exercise

Welcome to the Forum!

rowebr
01-09-2020, 10:17 AM
The feeling of rolling fast with little effort, being outside with the wind in what little hair I have left, all that and more.

But a big part of cycling for me is the challenge of getting better and doing new things. I love the challenge of trying to keep up with riders who are better and faster than me, and fortunately I'm not afraid to fail! I signed up for a gnarly gravel race knowing that it would be unlike any ride I ever did before.

Also, its the easiest way to make the trip to my favorite local beer store.

seanile
01-09-2020, 11:18 AM
But, is that the primary motivation? I haven't seen too many people list that as the main reason for cycling, unless I'm mistaken.

Which makes sense to me, because I think using fat loss as the impetus for exercise is largely unsuccessful. But I started this thread to test a theory and educate myself, so if I'm off base, I'm happy to hear about it.

i would never be able to confidently say that fat loss is the primary motivator for cycling for most people for the same reason i would never say that for rock climbing.

cycling is a serious time suck when you're trying to get a "workout" in, and it's generally a terribly inefficient means of burning calories/losing weight when measured against running, rowing, HIIT, or doing stairs.

ask the same question of "what is your motivation for doing this activity?" to people who take up running after high school, do stairs at the local stadium, those who buy an erg, do the Insanity P90x training stuff, or get a trainer for HIIT programs. i think you'll find a different answer from those people than those who have chosen cycling.

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 11:22 AM
i would never be able to confidently say that fat loss is the primary motivator for cycling for most people for the same reason i would never say that for rock climbing.

cycling is a serious time suck when you're trying to get a "workout" in, and it's generally a terribly inefficient means of burning calories/losing weight when measured against running, rowing, HIIT, or doing stairs.

ask the same question of "what is your motivation for doing this activity?" to people who take up running after high school, do stairs at the local stadium, those who buy an erg, do the Insanity P90x training stuff, or get a trainer for HIIT programs. i think you'll find a different answer from those people than those who have chosen cycling.

I agree. You pretty much illustrated my point.

seanile
01-09-2020, 11:40 AM
I agree. You pretty much illustrated my point.
:beer:

bfd
01-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Why do I cycle? Because I Can! :)

flying
01-09-2020, 11:57 AM

Very true especially in a Sailplane/Glider ;)

coreyaugustus
01-09-2020, 12:16 PM

cash05458
01-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Well, ernmony PAL, if you're drinking Guinness, I hope you've signed up for some Gran Fondos this year. You'll need them...

actually...Guinness is practically a diet beer! A pint glass is 128 calories...right down there with Miller lite...check out the can info jazz next time you have one...they don't advertise it as such prolly as it doesn't fit the image...but calorie wise one of the better beers...think it has something to do with the fish bladder stuff but not positive...so drink up!

Mzilliox
01-09-2020, 12:42 PM
I like being outside and doing something not lazy.

I like how close to nature it brings me.

I like the efficiency of the machine meeting man. i cup of oats goes a long way here.

I like a physical challenge, therefore i climb hills.

Its pretty damn fun

Spinner
01-09-2020, 01:49 PM
Makes me feel as I did at the age of 10, flying like a bird.

Hilltopperny
01-09-2020, 02:28 PM
I got back into cycling after it being my primary form of transport up until I was about 17. Started to do it again as a means of transport and added fitness at around 27.

I was a cigarette smoker on and off since around 13-34. I had quit many times intermittently, but somehow always ended up smoking again. When I was 32 I had a bad accident at work which required extensive PT and 3 different surgeries which all made it impossible to run and also had very difficult time walking. I asked my Dr. if I could get back on my bike and got the go ahead. Haven’t really looked back since.

I find that riding my bike gets me outside, exercise, mental stability and a sense of awareness that I really need in my life. Sometimes it takes me back to when I first started riding at 6. There just aren’t that many things in this world that can bring me back to childhood. Riding a bike does.

AngryScientist
01-09-2020, 02:54 PM
i was a longtime runner, and decided i needed something else to supplement running with less impact on joints than running.

turns out i really like cycling, and still enjoy running too.

i like many aspects of cycling, but one that stands out is the ability to go see a lot of diverse and interesting places under my own power.

i mean - i own a Jeep, and i would never even consider finding nice quiet back roads and going for a random 100 mile drive, but i definitely would do that on a bicycle. cool stuff.

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 03:17 PM
I got back into cycling after it being my primary form of transport up until I was about 17. Started to do it again as a means of transport and added fitness at around 27.

I was a cigarette smoker on and off since around 13-34 on and off. I had quit many times intermittently, but somehow always ended up smoking again. When I was 32 I had a bad accident at work which required extensive PT and 3 different surgeries which all made it impossible to run and also had very difficult time walking. I asked my Dr. if I could get back on my bike and got the go ahead. Haven’t really looked back since.

I find that riding my bike gets me outside, exercise, mental stability and a sense of awareness that I really need in my life. Sometimes it takes me back to when I first started riding at 6. There just aren’t that many things in this world that can bring me back to childhood. Riding a bike does.

This is a very interesting response, Adam. You come close to the "unicorn" category: someone who came into fitness later in life and stuck with it. Especially considering you mentioned you cycled earlier in life for transportation rather than for fun.

In my experience as a PT, people who don't come from a background of movement for pleasure have a very hard time staying in shape. It's kind of the "unspoken dirty little secret" of the fitness world. Really sad but true.

If anyone knows anyone (or is someone) that came upon fitness later in life (without the benefit of an athletic background) I'd be very interested in hearing from them.

Hilltopperny
01-09-2020, 03:29 PM
This is a very interesting response, Adam. You come close to the "unicorn" category: someone who came into fitness later in life and stuck with it. Especially considering you mentioned you cycled earlier in life for transportation rather than for fun.

In my experience as a PT, people who don't come from a background of movement for pleasure have a very hard time staying in shape. It's kind of the "unspoken dirty little secret" of the fitness world. Really sad but true.

If anyone knows anyone (or is someone) that came upon fitness later in life (without the benefit of an athletic background) I'd be very interested in hearing from them.

I should state that I did play Baseball, Soccer and even a little bit of Basketball from childhood until graduating from high school and used to power lift from 14-18 years old. So I do have a bit of an athletic background, but I was definitely more of a power/explosive athlete when younger. I could jump quite impressively, hit a baseball well over 300 ft, bench 275 and curl 135 x 10 reps at 17.

Did not even attempt any endurance type of physical fitness until I was in my mid to late 20’s. Having a beautiful area to ride my bike gavr me some motivation and I really enjoyed the self reliance that it taught me.

tuscanyswe
01-09-2020, 03:38 PM
I ride to make ends meat
I ride to make me smile and feel good about myself and what i have done
I ride to make me have the energy and mood needed to be nice to others
I ride because then i i have an excuse to tinker with the project "next bike"
I ride to be able to keep up with ppl who have mutual interests, like this place

If i dont ride i wont have an income
If i dont ride i wont feel good about myself, it takes about 2 weeks off or so
If i dont ride people around me tend to notice in about a week. I get grumpy
If i dont ride i wouldent get another bike. And then what would i do?
If i dont ride i would not continue to visit and post here and then what i do?

watch netflix? nah i watch that enough all rdy :) I guess ill continue to ride my bike for another decade or 2.

As for fitness. Ive never really not been fit and i think im one of those that would not like it but its not a motivation for me as ive never known anything else really.
Fatloss. Ive always been thin and would have been even if i wasent an active person. Genetics and celiac help with that but id love to put on a few..

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 04:36 PM
I should state that I did play Baseball, Soccer and even a little bit of Basketball from childhood until graduating from high school and used to power lift from 14-18 years old. So I do have a bit of an athletic background, but I was definitely more of a power/explosive athlete when younger. I could jump quite impressively, hit a baseball well over 300 ft, bench 275 and curl 135 x 10 reps at 17.

Did not even attempt any endurance type of physical fitness until I was in my mid to late 20’s. Having a beautiful area to ride my bike have me some motivation and I really enjoyed the sell reliance that it taught me.

Ah, well, that's a different story, then. You came from an athletic background. Still happy you stuck with cycling, though ...

Frankwurst
01-09-2020, 05:01 PM
I cycle to get to my dealer to buy weed. I get stoned grab my weed and head home knowing a cop will never stop a cyclist because they see them as healthy law abiding citizens. Oh wait that was the 70's. Now I ride to get my ya ya's out and like Old Spud says, mechanical meditation.:beer:

Hellgate
01-09-2020, 07:27 PM
To keep me fit, healthy and sane. Questions?

P K
01-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Because.......fun

rccardr
01-09-2020, 08:17 PM

(raises hand)

Yep, that's me. Had been a walker and treadmill user for a decade or so before discovering serious biking 11 years ago at age 57. Have averaged 5-6,000 miles per year since retiring six years ago, probably 3,000 miles per year between 2008 and 2014.

Was an avid motorcyclist (2 cycle small displacement intense sport bikes) , hot rodder and kind of big time radio control car racer for a long time, but not an athlete.

Am also the only non-diabetic in three generations in my family, so there's that lurking in the background if I slow down too much.

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 10:58 PM
(raises hand)

Yep, that's me. Had been a walker and treadmill user for a decade or so before discovering serious biking 11 years ago at age 57. Have averaged 5-6,000 miles per year since retiring six years ago, probably 3,000 miles per year between 2008 and 2014.

Was an avid motorcyclist (2 cycle small displacement intense sport bikes) , hot rodder and kind of big time radio control car racer for a long time, but not an athlete.

Am also the only non-diabetic in three generations in my family, so there's that lurking in the background if I slow down too much.

PM sent...

Themountaintop
01-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Descending, not many things are as thrilling as flying down a hill at 50 miles per hour on skinny tires!

Nomadmax
01-10-2020, 03:02 AM
Cycling is the first thing in my life that I was good at right away.

PS
NEVER throw me a ball to catch ;)

vincenz
01-10-2020, 04:13 AM
I do it for the exercise and scenery. The roads belong to you for just a little bit at 5am.

bikesickness
01-10-2020, 11:37 AM

I guess I would fit this category. Didn't do much in terms of exercise or any athletics as a kid. I was one of this skinny kids that could eat anything an not put on weight. Then came my 40's and suddenly (or not so suddenly) the weight gain started. It wasn't until my mid 40's where I had approached 190lbs and my cholesterol numbers were bad (total levels were 281). The wake up call was a combination of the scale(I just can't be 190lbs.) and the high cholesterol numbers (281). Add to this the family history of heart disease and diabetes. A few fellow fathers at my daughters school rode by my house on their morning rides and somehow I got pulled in one morning. As much as I tried they did not let me get out of going on a ride. So for this ride I needed a helmet, lights and clothing....$400 later I was set. I live right at the base of Twin Peaks here is San Francisco so the ride was uphill immediately. I made it all of a mile before I was out of breath sitting on the curb. Not quite the showing I was hoping for. To make a long story short. I kept biking as the ROI on $400 for a one mile ride is horrible! Fast forward five years and I have ridden 5,000 miles in 2019. I have dropped 30 lbs three inches from my waistline. The cholesterol numbers are in the 210 range and the Dr. says there is no need for Lipitor at this time. I can honestly say I am in better physical condition now than I ever have been.

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 11:47 AM
I guess I would fit this category. Didn't do much in terms of exercise or any athletics as a kid. I was one of this skinny kids that could eat anything an not put on weight. Then came my 40's and suddenly (or not so suddenly) the weight gain started. It wasn't until my mid 40's where I had approached 190lbs and my cholesterol numbers were bad (total levels were 281). The wake up call was a combination of the scale(I just can't be 190lbs.) and the high cholesterol numbers (281). Add to this the family history of heart disease and diabetes. A few fellow fathers at my daughters school rode by my house on their morning rides and somehow I got pulled in one morning. As much as I tried they did not let me get out of going on a ride. So for this ride I needed a helmet, lights and clothing....$400 later I was set. I live right at the base of Twin Peaks here is San Francisco so the ride was uphill immediately. I made it all of a mile before I was out of breath sitting on the curb. Not quite the showing I was hoping for. To make a long story short. I kept biking as the ROI on $400 for a one mile ride is horrible! Fast forward five years and I have ridden 5,000 miles in 2019. I have dropped 30 lbs three inches from my waistline. The cholesterol numbers are in the 210 range and the Dr. says there is no need for Lipitor at this time. I can honestly say I am in better physical condition now than I ever have been.

I think you and rccardr should get a medal. Seriously. In almost fifteen years of training, I can count on one hand (with room to spare) the amount of people I've seen make a similar journey. Kudos.

cash05458
01-10-2020, 12:49 PM
I'll bite...as I think many many here, been riding for so long now...I would guess 32 years or so...so it becomes ingrained in you...like sex or liking sunny weather ...at that point it's part of your identity...to not ride and say, go pick up pickleball or something would seem pretty off and leave me fairly confused as to who I am...

BobO
01-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Because.......fun

+1

It's super fun and it's something I have some talent for.

MattTuck
01-10-2020, 01:43 PM
We'll pretend for the moment that I am qualified to answer this question because I am actually riding, when I am really not doing much of anything.

Main reasons are because it is fun, I have some natural aptitude for doing it (more so on flat terrain), and I can rationalize it as good for me.

Black Dog
01-10-2020, 02:14 PM
I'll bite...as I think many many here, been riding for so long now...I would guess 32 years or so...so it becomes ingrained in you...like sex or liking sunny weather ...at that point it's part of your identity...to not ride and say, go pick up pickleball or something would seem pretty off and leave me fairly confused as to who I am...

I hear you. Been at to for over 30 years. However, Like Old Spud says, if I could not ride anymore I would find other things to fill the voids left by cycling. It would still be a very hard loss.

palincss
01-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Others?

If you enjoy driving fast and don't care for speeding tickets, cycling at 40 mph (easily attained on downhills) is more fun and feels faster than driving a car at 105 mph.

Dead Man
01-10-2020, 02:46 PM
because i dont want to be fat, and they took my drivers license a couple years ago and im tired of getting arrested and impound fees

XXtwindad
01-10-2020, 02:49 PM
because i dont want to be fat, and they took my drivers license a couple years ago and im tired of getting arrested and impound fees

Well, I still owe you a beer. I'll have Pliny the Elder. You can have Michelob Light :)

Seramount
01-10-2020, 04:55 PM
been cycling for over 50 years.

def don't ride for transportation or to lose weight (6', 147 lbs and have the metabolism of a hummingbird).

have done touring (hated it), charity rides, centuries, club rides, etc etc...

love the outdoors aspect (working out in gym is a no-go), the freedom, and speed.

best moment on a bike was doing 56 mph on a mountain pass descent...exhilarating!

oldpotatoe
01-11-2020, 07:26 AM
Okay it sounds like that qualifies; esp coming from someone with experience doing both. Maybe I was making a false distinction with things with motors/engines-bikes and planes are both machines.

When I flew wee A-4F+, we described it as 'strapping one on yer back and going flying'...Little rocket...This actually one of 'my' aircraft..Syrian flag tail, along with Iraqi..during DS1..We were an adversary squadron..had Russian, Chinese, Iranian tail flags also...:)

marciero
01-11-2020, 08:43 AM
When I flew wee A-4F+, we described it as 'strapping one on yer back and going flying'...Little rocket...This actually one of 'my' aircraft..Syrian flag tail, along with Iraqi..during DS1..We were an adversary squadron..had Russian, Chinese, Iranian tail flags also...:)

Looks pretty agile. Multi-national. my brother was in DS1

oldpotatoe
01-11-2020, 08:54 AM
Looks pretty agile. Multi-national. my brother was in DS1

Thread drift but thank hm for his service...:) AND, I took this wee VietNam era jet and humiliated more than a few, flying 'modern' Gen 4 aircraft..:)

BobO
01-12-2020, 12:34 PM
I hear you. Been at to for over 30 years. However, Like Old Spud says, if I could not ride anymore I would find other things to fill the voids left by cycling. It would still be a very hard loss.

In my youth I was a runner, which I truly loved. An injury took that from me even before my prime. Not one for self-pity I took up cycling as it demands similar physiological characteristics. I was a stronger runner than I ever was a cyclist, but it makes me happy. Were I too lose cycling as well I would simply seek out another way to push myself. Find the positive.

many_styles
07-09-2020, 08:46 PM
I tried running and I hated it. The fact you can go pretty far with your own two legs is cool too!

Dead Man
07-09-2020, 08:48 PM
Well, I still owe you a beer. I'll have Pliny the Elder. You can have Michelob Light :)

ive actually never had a duii.. not for lack o tryin tho

carrara.g
07-09-2020, 09:08 PM
to feel like I'm 16!!

Ken Robb
07-09-2020, 09:45 PM
It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was New Years Eve and we were on our third bottle of Champagne and I thought "why not?" Here I am all these years later. Who knew?

Asudef
07-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Mainly because its fun and is liberating. You get out of it as much as you put in.
I like where it takes you mentally and physically and have also noticed how it helps reframe your mental state.
I feel focused when riding and its not as distracting as walking.

Its a great way to explore and experience the outside/city as well.

Wakatel_Luum
07-09-2020, 09:49 PM
I cycle because it has a meditative effect for me...I actually prefer less cyclists on the road like it used to be in the 80's and 90's...

Fixed
07-10-2020, 12:29 AM
Freedom

Cheers to all