PDA

View Full Version : Newly Acquired Serotta CDA

SJTaylor
01-07-2020, 06:07 PM
This is my first post. I just acquired a Serotta CDA and I’ve read there are Serotta owners on this site so I thought I could get some info about my new bike. Don’t worry, I’m not a flipper. I only wish I could part with some of my fleet.

I wasn’t able to post photos (I tried). I got the Serotta from the original owner who is the same height and build as me. The CDA is tig welded with a 02 carbon fork and seat stays. The previous owner is a young guy so I’m guessing it’s a newer vintage. These numbers may be wrong but they read CCD 63 XX.

Upon purchase I measured the frame but couldn’t test ride it because the tires were age cracked and wouldn’t hold air. The current tires are 23c and a 28c wouldn’t fit between the chain stays so today I bought some 25c tires and tubes. I’m a little disappointed that wider tires won’t fit.

I’ll mount the new tires and tinker with a couple things tonight looking forward to the first ride in the morning.

I knew nothing of Serotta before I bought this CDA but I’ve been reading stuff in this forum. Is there anything in particular that would be good for me to know? Currently I ride a newish gravel bike but I just jointed a meetup group where I hope to join some group road rides and now I have a proper custom built road bike.

I’ll likely have questions going forward and I assume I’ll be allowed to post photos at some point.

Thanks.

AngryScientist
01-07-2020, 06:45 PM
Hello SJ and welcome to the forum!

We have no rules or provisions preventing new users from posting photos, have a peek at this thread here which is very helpful on topic:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=140352

additionally, you can thumb through this thread about decoding your serial number:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078

also in that sub-section are some of the accumulated old Serotta catalogs which might feature your bike.

We love Serottas here, if you have questions, ask away! And do stick around.

Can't wait to see the pics of your new machine.

Ken Robb
01-07-2020, 06:59 PM
I think the serial number indicates the frame is a custom 63cm and the xx number means it was that place in the production of CDA frames.

madsciencenow
01-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing pics and there are a few Serotta connoisseurs on this forum that can field questions you might have about the frame. I’ve owned a couple myself and my experiences have been fantastic. Only reason I don’t still own is the fit was off on both bikes. Generally speaking I think a 25 is about the largest tire that will fit most Serotta frames. I’m sure there are exceptions but Serotta went under before 28s became a thing (my impression).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the bike and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJTaylor
01-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Thanks. My CDA does have a large frame. I’m 6’3”.

Matthew
01-07-2020, 10:42 PM
Welcome! Serotta lover here. I've owned four total. Two steel, one Ti, and my current Meivici is carbon. They are great bikes. Tons of knowledge here on the forum too about just about every model Serotta made. You've acquired one of the best steel bikes produced in my opinion. You should get many enjoyable miles out of it! Matthew

Spinner
01-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on getting your CDA. I have two CIIIs, one purchased new 17 years ago and an identical frame (59x58 with red yellow fade) purchased as NOS one year ago. Built-up, my original is 2x9 with the other a 3x9. These bikes offer tremendous performance, comfort and frequent positive comments from others. I hope you enjoy your Serotta as much as I enjoy mine.

Cheers.

oliver1850
01-08-2020, 04:32 PM
The Coeur d'Acier was essentially a Colorado III with a carbon seat stay. It was introduced in 2003 and remained in the line-up until at least 2007. I think 2005 may have been the only year that the decals read "CDA" instead of "Coeur d'Acier". 2005 was also the last year for the O2 fork I believe. The CDA was offered in level top tube and sloping versions. Serottas were always sized center to center of the seat tube, but sloping versions were sized with a "virtual" seat tube length. There's a standard geometry chart in the 2003 catalog. The largest standard frame was a 62 cm, which had a 60 cm top tube. You can figure out how your 63 varied from standard by comparing it to the chart. You might find that certain brands of "28 mm" tires will fit. In my experience Michelins tend to run on the large side, but I'm not sure which brands or models run small. Specialized used to make tires sized 26, but I would have to check to see what they actually measured. Believe I have them on my Serotta NHX. Probably not currently available though.

cgolvin
01-08-2020, 04:42 PM
I'll add my welcome and congratulations; I was fortunate to find my first Serotta here and it's a fantastic ride.

You might find that certain brands of "28 mm" tires will fit.

Indeed. My Ottrott is a later (2011) model and I can fit a Panaracer Race A EVO 28 on the rear but a 28 won't clear the (Campy Chorus 10) caliper on the front. I previously tried a Conti 28 on the rear and it was no-go.

Enjoy the ride and look forward to seeing photos.

Black Dog
01-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. FYI, this used to be the official Serotta Forum and shifted to the Paceline just before Serotta shut down. Great place with even better people and a lot of Serotta knowledge (from long time Serotta owners and even many former Serotta employees!). I own two steel Serottas and pick them both up here. You will not be dissapointed, now go do your homework post some pics of your new to you bike! :)

SJTaylor
01-08-2020, 11:38 PM
I hope this works.

soulspinner
01-09-2020, 07:07 AM
Shesh that's big. Great color though.

cnighbor1
02-17-2023, 11:39 AM
02/17/2023
Visit to Waterford in Wisconsin and discuss of restoration of a Paramount
Not my me
Charles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_jQWnG67U

fourflys
02-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Welcome! I recently acquired a 2007 CDA myself and it is a beautiful bike for sure! Mine was ordered with the full steel rear end (that was an option, at least on some years) and I'm able to fit a Rene Herse 28mm mounted older Mavic Open Pros.. if you are running a more moderen, wider rim, you'll likely have issues fitting a true 28mm.. also could be a bit hampered by what brakes you have (Mine is a Campy Chorus Triple 10sp).. I have a feeling my Corsas mounted on Belgium rims would be too big, but haven't tried it yet..

I will say don't sell a good pair of 25mm tires short, especially on a quality steel frame like a Serotta..

Great loooking bike! I think I have same color (Candy Apple Red?), but in a MUCH smaller interation (54cm) ;)

schwa86
02-17-2023, 07:32 PM
I have a CDA too, which is now my travel bike as I had couplers put in. Each time I tide it I remind myself how smooth it is. It’s great for long rides/days in the saddle - enjoy it!

glepore
02-18-2023, 07:18 AM
I'll add my welcome and congratulations; I was fortunate to find my first Serotta here and it's a fantastic ride.

Indeed. My Ottrott is a later (2011) model and I can fit a Panaracer Race A EVO 28 on the rear but a 28 won't clear the (Campy Chorus 10) caliper on the front. I previously tried a Conti 28 on the rear and it was no-go.

Enjoy the ride and look forward to seeing photos.

My experience with an Ottrott as well. Most 27's and 28's (Veloflex, Challenge, FMB tubies etc.) fit rear but all contact brake or fork in the front. I use 25 f/28 rear on all the wheelsets I have, as most of my other bikes are similar.

fourflys
02-19-2023, 06:53 PM
Here is a pic of the color of my CdA, it just sparkles and pops in the sun!
(plus the "Whiskers Brimley" bottle cages I got for Christmas! :) )

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52699163371_053a74d1c6_b.jpg