PDA

View Full Version : Garmin touring or other?

parris
01-06-2020, 06:07 PM
I've been thinking about getting a gps unit mainly for when I'm checking out roads and such that I'm not super familiar with. I don't need power data or some of the other features that are on some of the units. What I would like is good mapping etc. I've seen the Garmin Edge Tour reviewed as well as a good number of other units.

Does anyone have good or bad experience with some of these? TIA.

Johnny P
01-06-2020, 06:11 PM
I didn't have a good experience with the touring model. It would freeze up on a ride and wasn't reliable. I would get one of their newer models instead.

parris
01-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your experience. Quick question, do you think you could have gotten a wonky model or have you heard of others having issues? Also what did you end up getting? I'm completely new to this end of things and am looking for info other than the canned "its great"! That we all see from any number of sites.

AngryScientist
01-06-2020, 07:18 PM
I have the edge "explore", which is the updated touring model.

it is excellent! does what you seek without some of the other frills. battery life is very good compared to some of my older garmin models.

mapping/navigating is very good.

i've been a garmin user for years and years, and the latest generation is the best yet. i wouldnt hesitate to get an explore.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e87jtHO8uic/XgOK41dk8qI/AAAAAAAADa0/TsQeudee3CU2g9g3-hhf5PjhIYLMcf25wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_4885.jpg

parris
01-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Well color me EMBARRASSED!!! Angry the Explore IS the model that I was thinking about but got it confused with the older Tour model.

Johnny I apologize for the confusion about the models.

marciero
01-06-2020, 07:29 PM
If you search this forum you'll find several threads discussing Garmin vs Wahoo, etc. The most comprehensive, complete, exhaustive, etc., reviews on various Garmin and other units are by DC Rainmaker (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/)
I checked and the Touring is on there.

No experience with the Touring model in particular (I have the 520 plus and it's great) But my general sense re Garmin is that over the last few years there seem to be far fewer complaints about crashing and software issues.

parris
01-06-2020, 07:34 PM
I've just started to check out DC Rainmaker for the reviews. Thanks for the heads up.

jischr
01-06-2020, 11:09 PM
This guy just did an 8-unit comparison by using a different GPS head for each day of his Festive 500 ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNYLYvTkEM
Very thin on details but interesting.

marciero
01-07-2020, 05:15 AM
must have been typing as Angry posted. But yeah-not sure why the Explore was not on my radar when I bought mine. It seems to be a great choice, and tailored for navigation-only users. And the price is right.

Edit: Now I know. It came out after I bought mine...

Alan
01-07-2020, 06:33 AM
I have similar needs to yours and really like my Bolt. It is very easy to use and Wahoo software seems to be better than Garmin.

You should look at it seriously as pricing is very good. You can also look at the Roam but not sure the additional features are worth the higher price.

As others have said DC Rainmaker is the best place to research but remember that Wahoo updates software on a regular basis so features do change. I really like their commitment to implementing new features in existing units as opposed to Garmin's approach.

Alan

kramnnim
01-07-2020, 08:08 AM
The Explore looks pretty good...

I tried a Bolt after reading all the hype and I hated it. Compared to the 1000/1030, the maps were nearly useless.

nublar
01-07-2020, 01:26 PM
Also check out the Karoo Hammerhead. Best standalone mapping implementation so far.

KVN
01-07-2020, 03:12 PM
Literally anything but the Touring model.

Johnny P
01-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your experience. Quick question, do you think you could have gotten a wonky model or have you heard of others having issues? Also what did you end up getting? I'm completely new to this end of things and am looking for info other than the canned "its great"! That we all see from any number of sites.

I had one edge touring that didn't work well. Tried a second with the same result. Garmin gave me some refund credit and I got the 520 model which has been working just fine. The newer models were just coming out and were in short supply so I couldn't get one of those.

parris
01-08-2020, 05:02 PM
Thanks to everyone that's given advice! I've checked out a bunch of reviews and videos. I'm waiting to see if I've won an auction for a rifle and if i haven't I'll order one of the Garmin units tonight.