PDA

View Full Version : fit system required

stevep
01-04-2007, 07:24 AM
i am looking for a simple fit system to be used to fit general novices simply and quickly to recreational bikes.
not a serotta system type of fit.
i am in the industry and have long wished for something that would make it really easy for a salesperson who is not necessarily a bike enthusiast to simply fit a new rider.
i remember seeing a fit stix at some point but have not been able to locate it again. dont even know if its useful...but it seemed simple enough.

note well before you all tell me that this is worthless... this is aimed at no one here.
this is aimed at a ski shop employee who will be fitting a hybrid or basic road bike to a recreational customer and wants to get it right pretty quickly.
any ideas?

Bittersweet
01-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Once was a guy named Bill Farrell in District 13.....

(I know you already know this ;) )

Too Tall
01-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Bill Boston
bill@billbostoncycles.com

Use his guidelines and software and you gotts it pal. Low cost. You really do not need his equipment to do this.

Ray
01-04-2007, 07:52 AM
i remember seeing a fit stix at some point but have not been able to locate it again. dont even know if its useful...but it seemed simple enough.

The fit-stick was a marginally useful tool for duplicating a position on Bike 'B' that you already had on Bike 'A', but wouldn't do anything to establish what is the proper fit for a new rider. Marginal only in the sense that I've done just as well more easily with a square sided column in the basement (to establish a vertical plane for setback) and a tape measure. But the fit-stick worked for documenting and recreating a position - not for establishing what is the right position. I don't believe its still available anyway, but not sure about that.

-Ray

atmo
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
according to my opinion (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=178510&postcount=48) atmo.

manet
01-04-2007, 08:16 AM
not the answer, hence no invoice, but perhaps some info to be gleaned...

http://bikefitkit.com/

ergott
01-04-2007, 08:54 AM
according to my opinion (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=178510&postcount=48) atmo.

Isn't that redundant?

atmo
01-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Isn't that redundant?
that's why they pay me the big bucks twice atmo -

swoop
01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
i was fitted by this system back in the early 80's.... it was good.

Vancouverdave
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Hire someone who rides a bike--a non cyclist has no damned business fitting customers for new bikes!

Bittersweet
01-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I had the pleasure of a couple fittings by Mr. Bill (Farrell) in the '80s as well as a little alpine ski coaching. He's quite active on the nordic ski circuit now as a Master. He also coaches cycling at the high school level in NH. I still basically use his fit from way back when.

Ti Designs
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Steve,

The basics of bike fit are pretty damn simple, but nobody really takes the time to explain them. I do a lot of fittings on new riders getting their first real bike, or as of late (that new years resolution thing at work) people getting into spinning classes. I find that explaining where the weight goes and the whole basis for comfort on the bike goes over far better than just setting them up and sending them out the door. Given the time it takes me to do one fitting I can show your guy the basics. He'll get in over his head at times, but that's what experienced fitters are for. If you're looking for a good basic fit system, I can't think of a better one than a good working understanding...

Tom
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I had the pleasure of a couple fittings by Mr. Bill (Farrell) in the '80s as well as a little alpine ski coaching. He's quite active on the nordic ski circuit now as a Master. He also coaches cycling at the high school level in NH. I still basically use his fit from way back when.

KUA?

fierte_poser
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
not the answer, hence no invoice, but perhaps some info to be gleaned...

http://bikefitkit.com/

Quick Fit Kit™ components include:
• Level One Training Manual
• Level One Instructional DVD
• Colored Tables and Fitting Charts
• Fit Kit Slide Chart
• Plumb Bob Device™
• Thigh Bench™
• Oak Wall Hanger
• Saddle to Handlebar Drop Tool
• Hydraulic Inseam Device™
• Torso Device™
• Oak Foot Board
• Metric / English Tape
• 2 Fit Dowels
• Fit Kit™ Banner for your Fit Station
• Fit Kit Window Sticker

***? A 'Hydraulic Inseam Device'?!? That deserves a :banana: .

Ozz
01-04-2007, 10:56 AM
...***? A 'Hydraulic Inseam Device'?!? That deserves a :banana: .
It probably lets you measure a customer without them thinking you are trying to steal their peach.

Definitely a :banana:

;)

catulle
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
KUA?

Hey, my daughter is working on a scholarship at KUA for a boy from home. Thus, I might be going there soon. It'd be great if I could meet Mr. Farrell if he actually teaches or coaches at KUA. Confirmation, please?

Tom
01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
If you're up that way head across the river to the Skunk Hollow Tavern. Oddly, a hotbed of road cycling it is. Good drafts, too.

We now return you to your regularly hijacked thread.

Too Tall
01-04-2007, 12:01 PM
hijack whatever...let's get back to the hydraulic peachstealer(tm).

Tracer
01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey, my daughter is working on a scholarship at KUA for a boy from home. Thus, I might be going there soon. It'd be great if I could meet Mr. Farrell if he actually teaches or coaches at KUA. Confirmation, please?

Catulle,

I met Bill about a month ago at an XC ski clinic and he is indeed a mathematics professor at KUA.

Chris

swoop
01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
there is an olde traditional irish (from county mayo) .. basic fit system that isn't often mentioned.
you measure the rider's inseam and multiply it by .886 for saddle hieght, you mount an adjustable stem on the bike and tie a rock to the riders left ankle.
the rock needs to weigh 70 lbs.

you then throw the rider into a a river. if they float, the bike doesn't fit. if they drown, it fits.

you don't see a lot of new riders from ireland these days.

stevep
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks for the tips. i know the fit kit well.
it is more involved than these guys want to get and too time consuming as well.
i think the comment of a simple wall chart is probably the most appropriate...
eddie, its not a guy... i have several customers that have pretty diverse staffs who are not always bike specific... but they can sell a lot of general rec bikes for around 3 bills...
as for swoops irish test...they used the same test in salem, ma during the witchcraft trials...
if the person on trial drowned in the tank they were innocent. true.

atmo
01-04-2007, 04:15 PM
it is more involved than these guys want to get and too time consuming as well.
"stand over this atmo."

Louis
01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
"stand over this atmo."

Many many years ago (back when I knew just a little less than I know now) my first "real" bike was purchased at an LBS that used that method for me. I ended up with a bike that had a handlebar so far out that I had to swap to a 4.5 cm quill stem. (I have long legs and a short torso.)

I've never bought anything from that LBS since.

Moral of the story: If you do something that is too quick and dirty you will have some unhappy customers.

manet
01-04-2007, 04:46 PM
"stand over this atmo."

and/or:

"try this, it's pinker."