PDA

View Full Version : 25.4-26.4 handlebar shim?

MURDERF4CE
01-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Bought a new bar for the Bianchi but having trouble with slippage. 25.4 VeloOrange bar with Cinelli 1E stem which im guessing is a 26.4. Is there a shim out there that'll work? I've tried an aluminum can but it slips still. I have a SR Custom stem that'll work but it's not nearly as good looking as the Cinelli.

slambers3
01-04-2020, 04:31 PM
I would strongly suggest matching the stem clamp diameter to the bar if you plan on riding the thing and you're happy with the way your teeth look.
I'm sure someone here will suggest cutting up a soda can or something, but honestly I haven't heard of nor ever seen a 1mm handlebar shim.

MURDERF4CE
01-04-2020, 04:37 PM
That's what I figured.. as much as I'd like to use the Cinelli stem, Im probably better off leaving it paired with the Cinelli bar and using the Custom stem here

lhuerta
01-05-2020, 01:01 AM
Sapporo tall boy can...best shim I ever drank from

mhespenheide
01-05-2020, 02:25 AM
You could roll a spiral of the Sapporo can material for more thickness, but I'd probably head to a machine shop, sheet metal shop, or HVAC shop to see if they have 1mm material on hand. A quick search on google shows a ton of listings for "1mm shim stock".

Rough up both sides with sandpaper and then add a smear of carbon paste.

oldpotatoe
01-05-2020, 06:05 AM
Bought a new bar for the Bianchi but having trouble with slippage. 25.4 VeloOrange bar with Cinelli 1E stem which im guessing is a 26.4. Is there a shim out there that'll work? I've tried an aluminum can but it slips still. I have a SR Custom stem that'll work but it's not nearly as good looking as the Cinelli.

If memory serves, USA Alien, or 'Problem Solver' brand from Quality Bike Parts(a YUGE distributor) makes shims, including the 25.4-26.4...

Check yer LBS if they have a QBP account. The stem 'might' be 26mm if it's new construction..'1E'?? IA, IR, XA...

palincss
01-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Yes, Nitto makes one 25.4->26.0. Rene Herse Cycles sells it for $12. https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/handlebars/nitto-handlebar-shim/ Works fine.

jc031699
01-05-2020, 03:41 PM
There are 25.4 to 26.4 shims for seatposts, seems like a little modding to cut off the collar and then splitting the shim in 2 would do the trick. Paging Mr. Dremel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Dog
01-05-2020, 04:42 PM
You could roll a spiral of the Sapporo can material for more thickness, but I'd probably head to a machine shop, sheet metal shop, or HVAC shop to see if they have 1mm material on hand. A quick search on google shows a ton of listings for "1mm shim stock".

Rough up both sides with sandpaper and then add a smear of carbon paste.

I think he will need 0.5mm shim stock. Once wrapped around the bar it will add 1mm to the diameter.

Ralph
01-05-2020, 04:43 PM
E Bay....There are many different models of handle bar shims that take it from 25.4 to 26. Some nice designs. Didn't see one to 26.4. I would measure the bar carefully.

lhuerta
01-05-2020, 07:11 PM
I would strongly suggest matching the stem clamp diameter to the bar if you plan on riding the thing and you're happy with the way your teeth look.
I'm sure someone here will suggest cutting up a soda can or something, but honestly I haven't heard of nor ever seen a 1mm handlebar shim.

.... no need to over think it. Even LeMond relied on a crappy CocaCola shim to hold his clip-on aero bars during last stage of 1989 Tour, in one of the fastest recorded time trial stages in TdF history. And he finished victoriously with all his teeth intact.

https://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/greg-lemond-exhibition-opens-at-rapha-cycle-club-nyc