PDA

View Full Version : Yay or nay for carbon handlebar on S&S coupled bike

echappist
01-04-2020, 11:10 AM
As I have just purchased a Di2 bar-end junction box, the next item needed would be a handlebar.

My personal preference is an aero profiled classic round bar, and there are very few of these out there, with the Ritchey WCS Streem II being the only one I'm aware of.

Too much to risk to have such a bar stuffed in a S&S case?

weisan
01-04-2020, 11:36 AM
.Too much to risk to have such a bar stuffed in a S&S case?

Not if you pack it right and protect it with packing material like pipe foam or something.

happycampyer
01-04-2020, 12:02 PM
If you are using an S&S hard case (which it sounds like you are), using a carbon handlebar should be OK. I have a carbon handlebar on my S&S-coupled bike and, as Weisan noted, if you pack everything carefully, nothing should press against the handlebar.

A major caveat: I note that on several threads about travel bikes, people have posted stories about TSA agents opening their cases to inspect the contents, and then attempting to repack the bike in a way that causes damage. I use a TSA net to try to keep everything intact when the case is opened, but if someone takes that off, or tries to unpack and repack the bike, I would say that all bets are off.

echappist
01-04-2020, 12:33 PM
If you are using an S&S hard case (which it sounds like you are), using a carbon handlebar should be OK. I have a carbon handlebar on my S&S-coupled bike and, as Weisan noted, if you pack everything carefully, nothing should press against the handlebar.

A major caveat: I note that on several threads about travel bikes, people have posted stories about TSA agents opening their cases to inspect the contents, and then attempting to repack the bike in a way that causes damage. I use a TSA net to try to keep everything intact when the case is opened, but if someone takes that off, or tries to unpack and repack the bike, I would say that all bets are off.

yeah, that would be my main worry, people not knowing how to put it back together and just start applying brute force

weisan
01-04-2020, 01:38 PM
When I pack, I use zipties to completely bundle everything together and immobilize any possible movement or slack so that during inspection, if they ever lift the whole thing up, they can just put it back down without figuring out where or how it would fit. It's idiot proof. At my last trip to Asia, they did open it up and inspect, as well as move things around.

happycampyer
01-04-2020, 02:13 PM
^ Yes, I forgot to mention that I do that, too, with the TSA net around the whole thing.

R3awak3n
01-04-2020, 02:18 PM
I have travelled with carbon bars. It is no problem, would not hesitate to do it again

Steve in SLO
01-04-2020, 02:47 PM
As others have said, no problem with handlebars.
Re TSA: During checking and inspection of the case, I have let the TSA agents know I am lurking and am happy to help with repacking. I have actually had one take me up on the offer. I also have a couple of photos of the packed case I leave in the case for their reference to help in the Tetris of repacking.

Bentley
01-04-2020, 04:49 PM
So I get the TSA wants to inspect stuff, but if they don’t repack it properly, are they “liable”? Interestingly, had TSA check some wine in a specially designed box for shipping wine... not good.

echappist
01-04-2020, 05:08 PM
So I get the TSA wants to inspect stuff, but if they don’t repack it properly, are they “liable”? Interestingly, had TSA check some wine in a specially designed box for shipping wine... not good.

I think it’ll be a case of SOL...

zennmotion
01-04-2020, 05:27 PM
For me, the bigger issue other than the TSA gorillas would be repeated taking apart/replacement of the handlebar, assuming you remove the bar from the stem when you pack as I do. I prefer something a little more robust and less sensitive to correct torque if I'm frequently screwing/unscrewing bolts. But like everything else on a travel bike, it's probably fine, until it's not.

CaptStash
01-04-2020, 08:58 PM
I have approaching one-hundred flights now with my S & S travel bike and have had no issues with the carbon handlebars. I don't go to any great lengths to protect them (after all they are already wrapped with handlebar tape) and just put them in the position (http://www.sandsmachine.com/p_i_seq.htm) S & S recommended. I keep everything for cycling in the box except my helmet (shoes, floor pump, kit, tools etc.) and don't use a net because I have too much crap in there. I have had the bike partially repacked more than a few times by TSA and never had a real problem.

A couple of things I do that might be a little different: I remove the rear derailleur completely (I have an extra cable coupler along the chainstay) and I remove the crank. I also recommend the Ritchey cable couplers over others.

With all that said though, it's only been overseas a few times. YMMV.

CaptStash....

Kyle h
01-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Another +1 for dozens of flights with carbon bars and no issues. I always just throw a small foam wrap on the bars for extra piece of mind.

Alaska Mike
01-05-2020, 01:22 PM
I'm more worried about the shifters than the bars. I've had a couple broken thanks to TSA re-packing (fortunately on return trips). Now I velcro strap the levers down to the bars for added protection, rather than let them sit in their normal position. I haven't wrapped my bars yet with foam, but will probably start in the near future.

tv_vt
01-05-2020, 02:49 PM
My quick vote - no. :)

Bob Ross
01-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Since you have electronic shifting, you might consider doing what my wife and I do: We don't even bother packing the bars in the S&S case, they go in our respective suitcases.

And we don't even have carbon bars! We just started doing this because it makes packing all the other stuff in the S&S case so much easier when you don't have to do the jigsaw puzzle thing with drop bars and 28-spoke wheels.

Krenovian
01-05-2020, 05:57 PM
My bikes have flown many times with no problems. All handle bars are carbon. They get wrapped in pipe foam. Brifter levers get Velcro taped back towards the bar as far as they will go. More pipe foam layered over brifter bodies. Bars get Velcro taped to the top tube.

I too enclose laminated photos of how things are packed in the bike case for TSA inspectors. Everything in the case is either Velcro taped or zip tied into place. I include extra zip ties in case an inspector cuts one and is inclined to reapply it. So far so good. Knock on wood!

Hakkalugi
01-05-2020, 11:52 PM
No issues here with carbon bars in a Co-Motion S&S case, about 2 dozen international flights. I use a laminated card with packing photos (actually for me, not TSA). I also use a net, and make sure there are no CO2 cartridges or anything similar to raise a flag for an inspection.

Kyle h
01-06-2020, 05:34 AM
My bikes have flown many times with no problems. All handle bars are carbon. They get wrapped in pipe foam. Brifter levers get Velcro taped back towards the bar as far as they will go. More pipe foam layered over brifter bodies. Bars get Velcro taped to the top tube.

I too enclose laminated photos of how things are packed in the bike case for TSA inspectors. Everything in the case is either Velcro taped or zip tied into place. I include extra zip ties in case an inspector cuts one and is inclined to reapply it. So far so good. Knock on wood!

Have you actually had TSA pack things back together correctly? I haven’t had issues without pictures lately but TSA did put a nice hole in a Zipp disc a few years back due to improper packing.

muz
01-06-2020, 10:00 AM

If you are willing to spend so much time and care packing and unpacking, carbon bars should be fine. I sometimes arrive at night, having cycled 1200 kms in the last 4 days, and have a flight to catch in the morning. I prefer metal frames and aluminum bars :banana: