PDA

View Full Version : T-Labs bikes: Anyone buy any bikes from them?

nmrt
01-04-2020, 10:50 AM
I came across this bike company based out of Montreal, Canada called T-Lab. Their Ti X3 gravel bikes looks very nice to me. I really like the tube shaping, the dropouts, and even just their standard geometry. But all I can find about them is that some of the people that started up T-Labs were involved with Guru. That is all I can find out. I would love to get some user feedback on how their bikes actually ride, the quality of their workmanship, customer service etc etc.

So, anyone purchased anything from them? Or riding an T-lab bikes?
Thanks!

Hilltopperny
01-04-2020, 11:05 AM
I had a chance to ride a T-lab gravel bike that the absolute black rep had at an event over the summer and it was awesome! These guys are the same crew that used to build and paint Guru titanium bikes which imho were top notch bikes.

The bike I rode was butter smooth and still had good power transfer. Felt like I could ride it all day and not be beat up. If I were in the market then I would not hesitate to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
01-04-2020, 12:21 PM
First question I would ask any Ti bike company is " do you weld these frames inhouse?".
Here's a press release article about them. They either forgot to say they make their own frames, or they carefully worded their way around the detail (I don't know either way, but the bike industry makes me cynical ):

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2017/04/21/guru-cyles-founder-leads-new-titanium-bike-brand-and-carbon-repair-business#.XhDWUXdFzv8

xlbs
01-04-2020, 12:56 PM
and know some folks who have bought them, ride them a LOT, and love the ride quality.

They do indeed weld their frames on site.

Based on my friends' experiences these are world-class frames.

And, nicely, our Canadian $ exchange rate is really favourable for paceliners south of our border.

Check out their website: https://t-lab-bikes.com/

I have no affiliation with these folks.

dbnm
01-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Those shaped tubes are sexyAF

nmrt
01-04-2020, 03:28 PM
Yup, they are indeed. Look at those HT and the TT. I am not sure what flattening the tubes does (stiffening, I think), but they look pretty.

And to a weight weening like me, T-Lab claims that the frame (size M) weighs 1280 g!!! :hello:

Those shaped tubes are sexyAF

Hilltopperny
01-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Here is the bike I got to test ride! It is indeed drool worthy! https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/featured-bike-tony-bs-t-lab-x3-absoluteblack-edition-with-campagnolo-super-record/

owly
01-04-2020, 04:38 PM
^

Beat me to it.

Big fan of those tube shapes (and weight!) also. Came across them online a year or so ago.

Lanternrouge
01-04-2020, 06:48 PM
The current website seems to indicate that everything is done in house. They definitely have a unique look in the realm of Ti frames.

ERK55
01-04-2020, 09:16 PM
Haven’t ridden one but I’ve seen them up close several times. The construction and finish look to be top notch. And yes, the heavy tube shaping is very cool- apparently the painted versions have been mistaken for carbon frames. Pricing for the road and gravel disc versions is 4300 USD. Internal cable routing, fender mounts etc are extra. Various finishes beyond the raw Ti add $200-700 to the price. Custom geo is $500 extra. So you can easily get into Firefly/Seven/Mosaic territory in terms of price.
Also note: the standard bottom bracket is BB86. The seat tube has a fairly prominent bend away from the driveside, apparently for better alignment of the braze-on tab for the FD. You don’t really notice it from the side, but when viewed front on it appears like the frame was t-boned from the side

GonaSovereign
01-04-2020, 09:44 PM
First question I would ask any Ti bike company is " do you weld these frames inhouse?".
Here's a press release article about them. They either forgot to say they make their own frames, or they carefully worded their way around the detail (I don't know either way, but the bike industry makes me cynical ):

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2017/04/21/guru-cyles-founder-leads-new-titanium-bike-brand-and-carbon-repair-business#.XhDWUXdFzv8

They do. Here's an article with photos. https://cyclingmagazine.ca/special-feature/building-t-lab-bicycles/

Clancy
01-05-2020, 07:09 AM
I own a R3 disc and will say it’s the finest bike I’ve ever ridden. I own two other custom frames, a Saila, which is a Ti frame and an Anderson stainless steel frame. Each of those are just superb bikes - the T-Lab one notch higher.

I had owned a used Guru Ti frame and was very impressed by the ride quality although it was a tad too big. Guru had been around for quite some time and always had a reputation for high quality craftsmanship but particularly for their mastery of geometry. Probably not a stretch at all to say they were the Serotta of Canada. When I read they resurrected as T-Lab I started to follow them.

Working with T-Lab was seamless. After going back and forth a couple of times on geometry I signed off on the drawing for my bike and about four weeks later I received my frameset.

They only use North American sourced titanium and everything is made in house in Montreal including the shaping of the tubing. They take great pride in being a Canadian company.

The manipulation of the tubing is very unique and is what T-Lab claims makes their frames ride so well. I really like the tube shaping and it’s what initially drew me to looking at one of their bikes. Admittedly it’s not for everyone but I really like the way the frames look. T-Lab claims that no one else in the industry is doing what their doing. I owned a Sarto Classica, Italian handmade frame, and still believe it was the pinnacle of carbon frames, the handling of that bike was surreal it was so comfortable, stable, and confident. The T-Lab rides better. The ride is smooth and the handling perfect but it’s the quickness of the bike that continues to astonish me every time I ride.

When I bought this frame it was somewhat of an impulse and after I ordered it and before I received it I beat myself up for buying it. Already owning two custom bikes plus another Ti bike I felt it was a foolish spurge. I’d also hadn’t been riding as much due to some lingering injuries. Plus after 45 years of cycling I had become rather uninterested in cycling. That all changed upon the first ride of the T-Lab. This bike has rekindled my love of cycling and I’m riding more now than in the past few years. Not only that, it’s the rides I do, where I set out and just keep riding because of the love of the bike.

A Google search will pull of a lot of press and everything I’ve read mirrors my experience. I know they did a collaboration with Boyd Cycling and I imagine the owner could have picked any company to build him a frame so I believe it says a lot he chose T-Lab. Gravel Cyclist I believe has a review of the X3.

By the way, I communicated with them just over the holidays and was told they’re revamping their website and they’re going to offer another BB standard on the X3 to accommodate 30mm spindles.

I simply love my bike.

coachboyd
01-05-2020, 07:43 AM
I dig mine!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1240/1808/products/Boyd_T-Lab_RB1_1080x.jpg

fignon's barber
01-05-2020, 09:35 AM
They do. Here's an article with photos. https://cyclingmagazine.ca/special-feature/building-t-lab-bicycles/

Good to know. Thanks!

nmrt
01-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the detailed response. This is what I was looking for! :)
BTW, did you buy direct from them or was it through a dealer? Because T-Lab website does not mention any dealers.

I own a R3 disc and will say it’s the finest bike I’ve ever ridden. I own two other custom frames, a Saila, which is a Ti frame and an Anderson stainless steel frame. Each of those are just superb bikes - the T-Lab one notch higher.

I had owned a used Guru Ti frame and was very impressed by the ride quality although it was a tad too big. Guru had been around for quite some time and always had a reputation for high quality craftsmanship but particularly for their mastery of geometry. Probably not a stretch at all to say they were the Serotta of Canada. When I read they resurrected as T-Lab I started to follow them.

Working with T-Lab was seamless. After going back and forth a couple of times on geometry I signed off on the drawing for my bike and about four weeks later I received my frameset.

They only use North American sourced titanium and everything is made in house in Montreal including the shaping of the tubing. They take great pride in being a Canadian company.

The manipulation of the tubing is very unique and is what T-Lab claims makes their frames ride so well. I really like the tube shaping and it’s what initially drew me to looking at one of their bikes. Admittedly it’s not for everyone but I really like the way the frames look. T-Lab claims that no one else in the industry is doing what their doing. I owned a Sarto Classica, Italian handmade frame, and still believe it was the pinnacle of carbon frames, the handling of that bike was surreal it was so comfortable, stable, and confident. The T-Lab rides better. The ride is smooth and the handling perfect but it’s the quickness of the bike that continues to astonish me every time I ride.

When I bought this frame it was somewhat of an impulse and after I ordered it and before I received it I beat myself up for buying it. Already owning two custom bikes plus another Ti bike I felt it was a foolish spurge. I’d also hadn’t been riding as much due to some lingering injuries. Plus after 45 years of cycling I had become rather uninterested in cycling. That all changed upon the first ride of the T-Lab. This bike has rekindled my love of cycling and I’m riding more now than in the past few years. Not only that, it’s the rides I do, where I set out and just keep riding because of the love of the bike.

A Google search will pull of a lot of press and everything I’ve read mirrors my experience. I know they did a collaboration with Boyd Cycling and I imagine the owner could have picked any company to build him a frame so I believe it says a lot he chose T-Lab. Gravel Cyclist I believe has a review of the X3.

By the way, I communicated with them just over the holidays and was told they’re revamping their website and they’re going to offer another BB standard on the X3 to accommodate 30mm spindles.

I simply love my bike.

Matthew
01-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Clancy should do their advertising. Great write up. Glad your bike rekindled your love of riding. Very cool.

Clancy
01-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. This is what I was looking for! :)
BTW, did you buy direct from them or was it through a dealer? Because T-Lab website does not mention any dealers.

Direct. Responses to emails were prompt, usually the same day. Very easy to work with. So seamless that as I mentioned I’m hoping to eventually get an X3

TunaAndBikes
01-06-2020, 11:12 AM
They're great bikes with a good team behind it, probably going to be my next bike whenever that ship comes ashore

I've visited the facilities (granted, I have a friend that works there) and the quality of their work is impressive.

The bikes look really good, welds done in house and every person involved is super passionate.

FWIW, I've ridden said friend's 54 cm (i'm usually a 58, so with a pinch of salt, of course) and it felt super nice. Seems like their tube shaping works because it felt stiff when standing on the pedals, but so smooth when riding along.

StanleySteamer
01-06-2020, 11:48 AM
I agree with Clancy’s feedback about the quality of T-Lab bikes. I bought the X1 Gravel bike directly from the company and believe it is the best riding bike I have ever owned.

sjbraun
04-09-2020, 06:29 PM
To those of you who bought directly from T-Lab, how did you pay them?
I'm curious because the USD vs CAD differences on their website don't jive with current exchange rates.
The X3 built with GRX Di2 is listed as $5700 USD or $6850 CAD. If I look at current exchange rates, $6850 CAD is equivalent to $4900. That's a huge difference. I understand that updating a website to reflect frequent variations in exchange rates would be hard to do, so I'm curious to know if what you paid for your frames differed from the posted prices. If you're reluctant to discuss costs on the forum, please message me with your answers.

Thanks

StanleySteamer
04-09-2020, 09:17 PM
I paid for my X1 bike with my Visa card and used a service provided by T-Lab called Quickbooks. Very smooth transaction.

sooshi
04-09-2020, 09:33 PM
Here is the bike I got to test ride! It is indeed drool worthy! https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/featured-bike-tony-bs-t-lab-x3-absoluteblack-edition-with-campagnolo-super-record/

I know the Absolute Black rep who's bike this is and have to say it's a great looking in person. The build quality appears to be top notch and I know he raves about the ride quality. I'd absolutely consider picking one of these up.

Velocipede
04-09-2020, 10:29 PM
I'm curious because the USD vs CAD differences on their website don't jive with current exchange rates.
The X3 built with GRX Di2 is listed as $5700 USD or $6850 CAD. If I look at current exchange rates, $6850 CAD is equivalent to $4900. That's a huge difference. I understand that updating a website to reflect frequent variations in exchange rates would be hard to do, so I'm curious to know if what you paid for your frames differed from the posted prices. If you're reluctant to discuss costs on the forum, please message me with your answers.

Thanks

Maybe they are figuring duties and taxes into the price?
Duties and taxes on a complete bike is 11% of the declared value. So you'd be at $627 for that plus shipping maybe? That could easily be $150 to $200.

Hilltopperny
04-10-2020, 12:03 PM
If anybody is interested in the bike that was posted in the article give me a shout. Tony is ready to move it along and possibly part it out! I can put any interested parties in touch!

NHAero
04-10-2020, 12:13 PM
which frame size, and cyclocross or gravel model?

thanks
If anybody is interested in the bike that was posted in the article give me a shout. Tony is ready to move it along and possibly part it out! I can put any interested parties in touch!

Hilltopperny
04-10-2020, 12:53 PM
which frame size, and cyclocross or gravel model?

thanks

The gravel model linked from the gravel cyclist article that I linked above. It is a ridiculously nice bike and build! Size is somewhere in the 54-55cm range iirc.

Hilltopperny
04-10-2020, 12:55 PM
The gravel model linked from the gravel cyclist article that I linked above. It is a ridiculously nice bike and build! Size is somewhere in the 54-55cm range iirc.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200410/139819067d447cda8ddafe96edac3c04.jpg

sooshi
04-13-2020, 12:43 AM
In case anyone on this thread was interested

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/d/bonsall-tlab-allroad-frame/7099972638.html

mattykhz
04-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Link seems to have expired so I guess sold.

mattykhz
04-18-2020, 11:58 AM
I was going to register here to specifically post on this thread but seems I was already registered.

I currently own a Lemond Titanium Tete de Course in size 57cm and various old school mountain bikes like Manitou FS and Cannondale Scalpel.

The T-Lab X3 seems to be the ideal gravel bike for me to go down that route as I want something as fast as my lemond but something that can take rubbish roads and a bit of abuse like my mountain bike.

I am unsure how to size a gravel bike based on my lemond as was wondering what people on here went for. Did anyone go custom geo or is standard fine.

And also the R3 omni has thrown a spanner into the works as that may be more ideal if not wanting to go over 35mm. Was thinking schwalbe g one speed in 30 or Ritchey JB Alpine in 35mm.

roguedog
05-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Between Clancy's review, Boyd selecting them and many positive comments from PLers, I've been looking pretty closely at the R3 Omni or just and R3. I've actually reached out to them.

If you're having problems reaching them, I ended up emailing Roberto directly and he's been responsive.

This looks to be a good article on them: https://capovelo.com/t-lab-bikes-the-shape-of-titanium-to-come/

So many good choices out there... I need a real garage but perhaps it's good I do not have one.

Cgeisler
05-04-2020, 11:12 AM
I saw the GVL model in person 2 weeks ago on the trial; gorgeous bike, nice welds, creative tube design.

joe.phan.37
05-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Got my X3 in January, mirrors what other people have said. Super snappy under power, feels great. I got the stock geometry since it mirrored the Ibis Hakka pretty closely. Buying direct from them went smoothly and the bike was delivered in the time frame as promised to the US. It was shipped Fed Ex and I didn't have to pay any additional customs fees on it.

Super happy with the bike after 4 months and would recommend anyone considering a Ti bike to give them a look.

nmrt
05-12-2020, 10:20 PM
Can you post a pic? Would love to see it! :)

Got my X3 in January, mirrors what other people have said. Super snappy under power, feels great. I got the stock geometry since it mirrored the Ibis Hakka pretty closely. Buying direct from them went smoothly and the bike was delivered in the time frame as promised to the US. It was shipped Fed Ex and I didn't have to pay any additional customs fees on it.

Super happy with the bike after 4 months and would recommend anyone considering a Ti bike to give them a look.

joe.phan.37
06-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Can you post a pic? Would love to see it! :)Here you gohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200611/539bef30c5dd78aa5cda7a312c4dfce6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Joe
06-11-2020, 04:19 PM
Very nice looking bike. Partial paint and bead blast/polish combination are very classy and attractive.

FuelForThought
02-25-2021, 12:10 AM
Everything I hear about the X3 puts it high on my want list.

The only thing holding me back is tire clearance. I want the bike to run Di2 2x with 46/30 oval rings AND and clear a 700c x 45mm tire.

X3 owners, tell me: what is the tire clearance with a GRX Di2 FD?

TexasJohn
02-25-2021, 12:26 AM

Thanks
I would always pay the seller in their local currency. The credit card bank exchange is always better in my experience. Use a card that has little or no international transaction fees, and check the exchange rate fees.