PDA

View Full Version : Crankset in suitcase?

TexasJohn
01-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Anyone have experience trying to take a crankset packed in a suitcase, and checking the baggage on an airplane, going overseas? Any issues with customs clearance or confiscation?

zennmotion
01-04-2020, 10:19 AM
You could always call the airline, but I've got a lot (a lot) of international miles to four continents including some pretty intense security destinations carrying all kinds of weird stuff and I can't imagine a crankset would be a problem as checked baggage, though if you tried in-cabin carry-on it probably would be confiscated by TSA stateside or local security abroad. That said, the most inside-out inspection of my luggage, person and checked bag I've ever experienced was at a 1hr layover in Reykjavik of all places. They didn't like that I was coming from Istanbul.

makoti
01-04-2020, 10:37 AM
In luggage should be no issue. You can pack an entire bike, so one crank in the belly of the plane should be no problem. Can't imagine customs will care, although they did make me open on S&S case a few times, because they'd never seen one & were curious.

unterhausen
01-04-2020, 10:47 AM
I put some weird bike parts in my suitcase when I went to France. No issues.

Louis
01-04-2020, 05:53 PM
In your checked baggage they present zero risk to the safety of the aircraft or it's crew or passengers, so no problem there. (carry-on might be an issue, so I would avoid doing that)

Unless you have 30 cranksets in your suitcases and are clearly traveling with them for commercial purposes, there would be no reason for customs to have any interested whatsoever in them.

Bottom line, no problems.