PDA

View Full Version : OT board games

zennmotion
01-04-2020, 09:37 AM
One of my New Years resolutions, as an introverted snob is to spend more time socializing, especially with people I don't work with and don't ride with. I was recently introduced to Pandemic, a cooperative game where you try (and often fail) to save the world from an infectious disease--fun!
https://www.zmangames.com/en/games/pandemic/

I used to enjoy Monopoly and Risk, among others, but so often the end game with these became apparent early in play and it was sometimes just a slow losing death for the 'losing' players.

So- board games for adults that make you think, interact where you can have a good time with diverse, smart people? Whatchoo got Paceline party animals?

Ozz
01-04-2020, 09:39 AM
We played "Pandemic" a couple times over the holiday as well!

Interesting game....win together...lose together.

AngryScientist
01-04-2020, 09:42 AM
True to my Paceline roots, we like Bananagrams. Always comes camping with us too :banana::banana:

https://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages/9781932188127_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

echappist
01-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Carcassonne

and if one is into backstabbing, Settlers of Catan

XXtwindad
01-04-2020, 10:04 AM
One of my New Years resolutions, as an introverted snob is to spend more time socializing, especially with people I don't work with and don't ride with. I was recently introduced to Pandemic, a cooperative game where you try (and often fail) to save the world from an infectious disease--fun!

I used to enjoy Monopoly and Risk, among others, but so often the end game with these became apparent early in play and it was sometimes just a slow losing death for the 'losing' players.

So- board games for adults that make you think, interact where you can have a good time with diverse, smart people? Whatchoo got Paceline party animals?

Read the "Introverts Advantage." :)

fignon's barber
01-04-2020, 10:19 AM
For social engagement, nothing beats Twister.

arimajol
01-04-2020, 10:19 AM
We've been playing lots of Rummikub for the past year. My wife and I leave a set in the car to take in to bars for happy hour.

zennmotion
01-04-2020, 10:22 AM
For social engagement, nothing beats Twister.

Sorry, I'm old enough to be (understandably) seen as creepy if I were to suggest that in mixed company.

echappist
01-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Sorry, I'm old enough to be (understandably) seen as creepy if I were to suggest that in mixed company.

or really, any company for anyone older than a teenager...

Mzilliox
01-04-2020, 10:39 AM
oh, interested. we play Catan, thats fun. Risk is always good. Pandemic was pretty fun. We have stratego, and thats nice for 2 folks.

looking forward to others.

tuscanyswe
01-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Oh stratego, that used to be a favorite of mine, had forgotten it existed.
Chess is really the ultimate game for 2 ppl imo but it demands that you let go of the prestige many associate it with for it to reach its potential, oh and a chesstimer / stopwatch.

I tend to like strategic games i guess. Lots of cardgames can be fun as well gin rummy etc.

Mahjong is another game i used to like that perhaps many have missed out on?

paredown
01-04-2020, 11:30 AM
We played "Timeline" at a friend's house this Christmas--it is kind of meant as a teaching tool/kid's game, but it actually was fun. Oldsters do well on some questions, kids get the new stuff--but what I liked about it was that it is interactive since each player gets to guess where their "event" fits on the timeline, so it favors people who have a general sense of history, gets more complicated as the rounds go on and does not favor people whose heads are full of trivia (Trivial Pursuits).

Pretty fun for occasional play

https://www.amazon.com/Zygomatic-ASMTL03CLEN-Timeline-Classic/dp/B07FWV2HDX/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=77721780024521&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=timeline+history+card+game&qid=1578158740&sr=8-1#customerReviews

fignon's barber
01-04-2020, 12:09 PM
or really, any company for anyone older than a teenager...

You realize that was a joke, right?

exapkib
01-04-2020, 12:24 PM
We are also big fans of what we have come to call "non-zero-sum" games.

Got my wife received a copy of "Wingspan" for Christmas, and it is wonderful. Even if you're not into bird watching, it's a well-designed strategic building game that avoids some of the direct confrontation of a game like Settlers. In fact, it plays a lot like another strategy game we love--"Agricola,"--in that each person is working on their own set of tasks and puzzles, with interactions that go beyond attacking each other's interests.

If you can find a copy, "The Cave" is my favorite cooperative board game to come out in quite some time. Some similarities to Pandemic (another of our favorites), but with a wider variety of tasks, tools, and specializations. A little bit more competitive than Pandemic, but still with a significant cooperative element.

Ken Robb
01-04-2020, 12:28 PM
oh, interested. we play Catan, thats fun. Risk is always good. Pandemic was pretty fun. We have stratego, and thats nice for 2 folks.

looking forward to others.

To make Stratego even MORE fun allow moving the flag like any other piece.

echappist
01-04-2020, 12:29 PM
You realize that was a joke, right?

as at least two people didn't get your intended joke, perhaps work on your delivery?

rkhatibi
01-04-2020, 12:32 PM
For cooperative Forbidden Island is a nice intro. If you like it, Forbidden Desert has different and more complex mechanics. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

I'd also recommend Pandemic: Rapid Response. It's very fast, but will take half a dozen games to get the rules locked in. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/280789/pandemic-rapid-response

For two player short games Quarto is a lot of fun particularly because you pick the piece and your opponent has to play the piece. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/681/quarto

Ricochet Robots is good if everyone is roughly the same skill. Can be tough if someone just gets the mechanic of paths better than everyone else. Found it takes 4-5 games for new people to become competitive. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/51/ricochet-robots

pdonk
01-04-2020, 12:36 PM
We play the harry potter cooperative deck building games. I think they are called hogwarts battle.

bironi
01-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Codenames is a fun multiplayer game.

fignon's barber
01-04-2020, 05:14 PM
as at least two people didn't get your intended joke, perhaps work on your delivery?

Sorry, missed your humorless emoji, there, barrel-o-laughs.

gasman
01-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Sorry, missed your humorless emoji, there, barrel-o-laughs.

Okay guys enough of the snark.

FlashUNC
01-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Diplomacy if you have some friendships you want to ruin forever.

chuckroast
01-04-2020, 07:06 PM
My wife and I play a lot of Backgammon (on a tablet, although I think we have an actual game around here somewhere).

sonicCows
01-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Codenames is a fun multiplayer game.

It's very replay-able

Dominion is good too

William
01-04-2020, 10:30 PM
No one in the family will play chess with me anymore so we gave DOOM a try. There really needs to be a video tutorial with this...just to get through the tutorial round!:)

W.

schwa86
01-04-2020, 10:57 PM

This was going to be my vote as well.

Veloo
01-04-2020, 11:07 PM
Introduced to this a couple years ago and thought it was hilarious. Doesn't match everyone's sense of humor tho.

https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

Also picked up the Blockbuster a few days ago.
https://intl.target.com/p/the-blockbuster-party-game/-/A-54397712

Chris
01-05-2020, 09:54 AM
We are also big fans of what we have come to call "non-zero-sum" games.

Got my wife received a copy of "Wingspan" for Christmas, and it is wonderful. Even if you're not into bird watching, it's a well-designed strategic building game that avoids some of the direct confrontation of a game like Settlers. In fact, it plays a lot like another strategy game we love--"Agricola,"--in that each person is working on their own set of tasks and puzzles, with interactions that go beyond attacking each other's interests.

If you can find a copy, "The Cave" is my favorite cooperative board game to come out in quite some time. Some similarities to Pandemic (another of our favorites), but with a wider variety of tasks, tools, and specializations. A little bit more competitive than Pandemic, but still with a significant cooperative element.

I’m not knocking this, so please don’t take it this way, but by this do you mean there isn’t a winner? From some other comments, do some people get so wound up in a game that winning and losing is that big a deal? I mean, other than Wookies?

Mzilliox
01-05-2020, 10:15 AM
I’m not knocking this, so please don’t take it this way, but by this do you mean there isn’t a winner? From some other comments, do some people get so wound up in a game that winning and losing is that big a deal? I mean, other than Wookies?

i sort of always thought it was the point right?

zennmotion
01-05-2020, 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! I don't have an issue with winning and losing with some board games, they're fun too. However, cooperative games introduce a different dynamic that I think can be more conducive to socializing and conversation, especially with groups that include a spectrum of ages, strategy skill levels etc. More inclusive atmosphere when you have discussions where everyone's got a shared objective, coaching and debate to get there together (think of it as a fast Paceline group ride! :banana:). I think it encourages more participation than when everyone is quietly focused on their own strategy for winning (like a Cat 5 crit :butt:).

sparky33
01-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Sushi Go Party is my new favorite. It’s fun for adults and kids.

Louis
01-05-2020, 01:09 PM
I'm not that much into games, but "Set" is a really good card game to play with your kids if you want them to exercise their brain a bit.

Edit: Some more info: https://www.gamesforyoungminds.com/blog/2018/1/4/set

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(card_game)

"In the game, certain combinations of three cards are said to make up a set. For each one of the four categories of features — color, number, shape, and shading — the three cards must display that feature as a) either all the same, or b) all different. Put another way: For each feature the three cards must avoid having two cards showing one version of the feature and the remaining card showing a different version."

So, for any two cards, there's always a third card in the deck that will form a set, the question is whether or not it's currently face up on the table. When you play it really does feel like like you're exercising your brain in a way that it doesn't typically get used (unless you're a mathematician studying combinatorics).

(I can see several sets in the image below, but haven't stared at it long enough to figure out exactly how many.)

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/59ea6080a803bb2f70ecbae5/1515093599263-YFJLMDJMVBXWA3GPLQ30/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kD2z-LLWBH7obTt8oweMjYNZw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZamWLI2zvYWH 8K3-s_4yszcp2ryTI0HqTOaaUohrI8PImOHbQbjXasSwxFcLdk_scO GqT4Z6kt8j9Nmw5KBS9fwKMshLAGzx4R3EDFOm1kBS/SET+board.jpg?format=500w

echappist
01-05-2020, 01:11 PM
also, games such as scattergories

yes, there's a "competition", but the tasks needed are varied and draw out laughter

sg8357
01-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Ahhh, the good old days of Dippy, excellent game to play while waiting for
your sides turn in Wacht Am Rhein.

weisan
01-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Dominion

My kids' fav.

I play with em' because 1) it takes them off the computer/devices 2) bonding time

Black Dog
01-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Sushi Go Party is my new favorite. It’s fun for adults and kids.

Our family loves this game. Also, form the same makers check out: Throw Throw Burrito.

William
01-05-2020, 06:47 PM
I forgot Apples to Apples. Our family has had a lot of fun with this one.

The object of the game is to win the most rounds by playing a "red apple" card (which generally features a noun) from one's hand to best "match" that round's communal "green Peat" card (which contains an adjective) as chosen by that round's judging player.

W.

Elefantino
01-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Roadkill. It's a hoot for up to 5 people.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/79d1f909-584b-405b-b975-d3094c84d8de_1.80208427e97791708d8d8cb3e0aaba2d.pn g?odnWidth=450&odnHeight=450&odnBg=ffffff

sonicCows
01-05-2020, 06:57 PM

Are you into German style board games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame)? My friends who really like board games enjoy Ticket to Ride and Race to the Galaxy. These games have more developed mechanics and involving quite a bit of strategizing, similar to Pandemic.

acorn_user
01-05-2020, 10:42 PM
We love board games, and have enjoyed Pandemic too. I've played it and the Forbidden Island and Desert games with my <10 year old kids. Shadows over Camelot is a fun co-op game, with a traitor mode if you want.

Non-coop games that are fun for groups and not too taxing include Settlers, Ticket to Ride, Agricola and Smallworld.

Good luck!

gasman
01-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Blockhead- I played it in HS but not since. My friends' father was the inventor of the game. He used to hire us to play his board games when he was developing them. Made me a bit crazy though as he would change the rules mid-game constantly. Sadly, he achieved some success with other games but never had a breakthrough again like Blockhead. Love all the suggestions ! My wife and I play board games with friends and family when we can.

TexasJohn
01-06-2020, 06:35 AM
We played it non stop over the holidays! With expansion pack. Up to six players

Birddog
01-06-2020, 07:53 AM
CRIBBAGE, it is truly a "board" game. For some fun there is a three way variety too.

William
12-25-2020, 01:37 AM
Cards Against Humanity: Wholly inappropriate and quite fun.

W.

Louis
12-25-2020, 02:02 AM
Dominion

I think we're now going to have to lock this thread... ;)

weisan
12-25-2020, 04:55 AM
My kids introduced me to it, not my fault. :p

I just play only to spend some "quality" time with them, not really into it but my 7-year-old....oh my goodness, she LOVE Dominion! I think it has something to do with her personality, you know, complete domination, "Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated."....:eek:

CNY rider
12-25-2020, 06:29 AM
I can’t believe this thread started in January with the OP suggesting we play Pandemic.........:eek:

Bruce K
12-25-2020, 07:04 AM
Thanks birddog from bringing up cribbage.

We like it plus it is pretty portable when traveling for those times when you just need to chill for an evening.

BK

oldpotatoe
12-25-2020, 08:12 AM
Play this with 7 and 9yo grand daughters and wife..GREAT fun. We change the rules a little bit, otherwise it lasts forEVER...tough to keep 7 and 9yo entertained that long. :).
I can’t believe this thread started in January with the OP suggesting we play Pandemic.........

I thought we were already playing 'Pandemic'..:eek:

Spinner
12-25-2020, 08:31 AM
My wife and I play a lot of Backgammon (on a tablet, although I think we have an actual game around here somewhere).

We too are fans of Backgammon, however I can't imagine not playing on a solid board; the sound of the cast dice, the feel of the stones, the intimidating stare of the doubling cube.

I'm on my second Crisloid board, having inadvertently leaving my forty-year-old original game in a cabin at Cooks Forest, PA. ATMO, Crisloids are the Campy of backgammon sets.

schwa86
12-25-2020, 08:57 AM
My son introduced me to Azul this summer on vacation. Very colorful, pretty easy to learn, and went well with a late afternoon beer. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230802/azul

yarg
12-25-2020, 11:46 AM
Blokus is a great simple board game for those who strategy.

roguedog
12-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Are winning or losing? Have we gotten to the boss level yet??? Or can we just use the cheats, please? Ready for a new game... Or maybe we're/I'm really in Sim City and are just locked in my house...

Play this with 7 and 9yo grand daughters and wife..GREAT fun. We change the rules a little bit, otherwise it lasts forEVER...tough to keep 7 and 9yo entertained that long. :).

I thought we were already playing 'Pandemic'..:eek:

Max23Tyler
01-16-2022, 06:31 PM
https://eldfall-chronicles.com/

I used to enjoy Monopoly and Risk, among others, but so often the end game with these became apparent early in student housing Ljubljana (https://erasmus-home.com/en/rent-apartment/ljubljana/) and it was sometimes just a slow losing death for the 'losing' players.

Great game I will have to restock my closet with catans. Fellow sisters are keep eating those dark pices. I cant tell them those are not chockolade.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2022, 06:30 AM

Play chess with my 10yo grand daughter…I’m a chess hack but really enjoy this with her.

Ahhh, zombie thread..:eek:

tellyho
01-17-2022, 07:12 AM
Lots of games in our household. Catan and its expansions are in regular play. Santa brought 7 Wonders this year, as well as Spartacus (much better than the movie). Nobody will play Pandemic here these days, but we enjoy Forbidden Island, Sequence, Quiddler, and the Exploding Kittens games (you've got crabs, etc).

Likes2ridefar
01-17-2022, 07:22 AM
I can get lost in games of chess all night.

johnniecakes
01-17-2022, 07:28 AM
The only board type game we play regularly is Qwirkle. But we do get together with a few other couples for card nights. Canasta, pinochle, bridge, hand and foot, and blitz are all played, house choice. Card night usually starts around 4 with a warm up game and catching up with everybody. Then a meal, a few games, desert around 7:30, mores games till about 10. Going on 9 years now. We have been able to help and support each other through lots of life's situations as we mature. The games are really secondary.

teleguy57
01-17-2022, 09:32 AM
Check out the reviews on "Flamme Rouge." Yes, a bike racing board game that really is strategic and fun too.

AngryScientist
01-17-2022, 09:37 AM
Throw Throw Burrito is a pretty awesome game!

retropean
01-17-2022, 10:58 AM
7 Wonders & Ticket to Ride are two of our board game night’s favs.

For two players we like Blokus, Othello, Jaipur. Or “play” with puzzles.

Spaghetti Legs
01-17-2022, 11:18 AM
Check out the reviews on "Flamme Rouge." Yes, a bike racing board game that really is strategic and fun too.

I really like it, kids enjoy it, but the wife, for some reason doesn’t. Years ago Avalon Hill had an auto racing game, I think called LeMans, with similar structure.

We regularly play Catan, Carcasonne, and Tsuro. We discovered Tsuro in a public library years ago while waiting out a rainstorm on vacation. Simple to learn and plays pretty quickly but does require some strategic thought.

kppolich
01-17-2022, 11:19 AM
Ticket To Ride
Rummikub

or Apple TV games are fun from Jackbox. You can use your phone/tablet to play along.

Keith A
01-17-2022, 12:07 PM
We play a number of board games, and one of our favorites is Sequence. It only works well with 2 to 4 players, but it's a fun game.

C40_guy
01-17-2022, 12:40 PM
Throw Throw Burrito is a pretty awesome game!

So is Eat Eat Taco.

And everyone's a winner!

:)

corsu61
01-17-2022, 01:10 PM
Azul is a favorite, both strategic for us competitive types but easy to learn and play for casual players.
We also like:
Catan
Splendor
Dominion
Wingspan
Forbidden Desert & Island
Set