PDA

View Full Version : More Float = Knee Pain

znfdl
01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I switched my Grey Look Keo cleats to the Red Look Keo cleats to get more float. After a couple of rides I developed knee pain. Switched back to the greay cleats, no pain. Anyone else have this experience?

Matt Barkley
01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Less than 5 degrees - in most cases - is most desireable. :beer: - matt

Spicoli
01-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Yep, can't ride with any float whatsoever. For me, float is bad! Never could do it and it stinks cause I use Keo's too and love em, but have to give away the cleats that come with them and buy black ones. My buddies get the freebies though!

znfdl
01-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes, grey cleats = 4.5 degrees of float, red = 9.5 degrees.

05Fierte TI
01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I used to use the original Speed Play cleat and developed knee pain after several years. The pain continued to worsen the more I rode. Currently on the Look Keo grey and the problem is gone, so my experience says limiting the float may be a good idea

jmc22
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't agree with the statement that "more float is bad"..…have you ever noticed how precise the pros are with their bikes and how they hate to change bikes in the middle of a race.. that slight difference, no matter how little effects their bodies… maybe the cleats were not in the precise same spot as the others were., maybe you didn't give you body a chance to accept change. bottom line, if you like the red, stay with the red cleats, but do it based on how you like the feel.. I ride Speedplay pedals and love them…this from a person that use to ride Shimano pedals many years ago, locked down as tight as I could make them so they would not float or disengage…

Spicoli
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Uhmm........................you skipped the "for me " part? Some can have it and others like myself cannot. Its just that simple.

William
01-04-2007, 06:02 AM
I've been using Speed Play pedals exclusively since the mid 90's and never had knee problems. I recently started using Eggbeaters on the Effin Cross bike and notice that me knees are tweaking after a ride. Obviously less float and my knees are complaining. Not enough yet to make me stop so I'll give it a chance to see how I adapt.

Float/no float is an individual thing.

William

stevep
01-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Float/no float is an individual thing.

William

double plus for william.

39cross
01-04-2007, 06:35 AM
I switched my Grey Look Keo cleats to the Red Look Keo cleats to get more float. Znfdl, any reason why you wanted more float?

znfdl
01-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Znfdl, any reason why you wanted more float?

I was used to Speedplay and thought about getting more float from the Keos. Definitely the wrong move.

The cleats were in the same place, as I paint an outline of the cleats onto the sole of the shoes with nail polish. A garrish red in case anyone is interested in knowing the color. ;)

sspielman
01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Float is an individual preference item like saddles or shoe brand....Years ago, I remember when Greg Lemond first switched over to Team ADR. They were sponsored by Time, so for the first time in his career he had pedals with float. Early in the season, he complained about the feeling publicly.Since, at the time, everything that he did was news it was reported widely. Time did not particularly like this and I am sure that their feelings were communicated back. Rather miraculously, Lemond quickly got used to the feeling of float and became quite a supporter. About this time, I first heard that there were special sources for special Time cleats...that eliminated the float....Actually, alot of pros used these...and I have heard rumours of the same people producing similar versions for the new generation of pedals. Personally, I like the amount of float provided by Time pedals...

Ti Designs
01-04-2007, 10:48 AM
The float/no float argument makes me laugh. Everybody gives advice based on what they use, like or caused knee problems. It can't be boiled down to float or rotation being good or bad, it's what works with the individual's body. I do fittings all the time and I've done my homework when it comes to biomechanics. When I have a rider on the bike with the R.A.D. pedals, and I'm watching the indicators move as the pedals go 'round, I can tell a lot of things. Pronation causing an inward swing under force - is that a need for rotation within the pedal system or better arch support? Femur angle being way off the centerline from the hip - need for float? It's not a simple issue.

zap
01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I switched my Grey Look Keo cleats to the Red Look Keo cleats to get more float. After a couple of rides I developed knee pain. Switched back to the greay cleats, no pain. Anyone else have this experience?

No experience with cleat related pain as I'm a multi pedal system user but....

Did you switch back to your old grey cleats?

I've heard that some get used to extra play as cleats wear and when they switched to new cleats, developed some knee pain.

znfdl
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Zap: Went back to the grey cleats and no pain.....

Orin
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Pronation causing an inward swing under force - is that a need for rotation within the pedal system or better arch support?

Too true. Lack of arch support was my problem when I switched to Speedplays... Superfeet insoles keep it in check. I use Speedplay Zeros now, but I don't think I've bothered to limit the rotation on the last set of cleats and still use the Superfeet insoles (the green version for me btw).

It was difficult to work out what was going on as it took 60 miles or so before my knee began to hurt.

Orin.

zap
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Zap: Went back to the grey cleats and no pain.....

Did you put your old (used) cleats back on or did you install new grey cleats?

Just curious.

znfdl
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Did you put your old (used) cleats back on or did you install new grey cleats?

Just curious.

Zap: I put on new greay cleats. For me less float = no pain