PDA

View Full Version : 2020 paceline weightloss challenge

MattTuck
01-02-2020, 08:30 PM
With the twins, I haven't done this in a few years. To be honest, haven't been on the scale in a month or two... and not sure I want to get on the scale to see how bad it will be.

Let me know if you have any questions or issues with spreadsheet.

Google Sheets Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hs3hWM6VZ945ensFvgVs8A0kQtcJ3zqm-REmEiIEJeA/edit?usp=sharing)

Still, I'll get a reading in the morning and put it in. Anyone who wants to play along, just pick a column, and start filling in your weight. This one goes until middle of April which will get us to Paris-Roubaix. Here's some motivation!

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/paris-roubaix-2019-17.jpg

bart998
01-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Great. Lost 50 lbs. last year... not much left to lose.

Clean39T
01-02-2020, 10:35 PM

You left almost half of it at my house - if you don't want it back, I'm going to throw it out by the summer...

unterhausen
01-02-2020, 10:37 PM

what did you do? please don't say quit drinking beer, already done that

Clean39T
01-02-2020, 10:45 PM
I'm in.. :D

https://i.imgflip.com/3l265g.jpg

vqdriver
01-02-2020, 11:03 PM
I remember this! I'm in

MattTuck
01-03-2020, 08:13 AM
I fixed the spreadsheet, so you should all have access to edit it now.

Gsinill
01-03-2020, 08:20 AM
I am in as well.
Already lost 30 lb. over the last few month but 20 more to go.

skiezo
01-03-2020, 08:43 AM
I am already down between 12 to 15# after my chemo and radiation treatments so I am working on going the other way at the present time.

fmradio516
01-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Im onthe fence about this, but i REALLY should... count me in.

makoti
01-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Lost about 20lb last year. Mostly just watching calories. No fasting, keto, or other diet plan. Ate ice cream & cookies (in moderation) along with normal, healthy food (sweet tooth, so won't even pretend to be able to avoid this stuff. Denying myself it would just lead to a big fail). Yearly mileage on the bike increased about 20%, which I'm guessing had as much to do with it as trimming food intake. This years goal is stay at this weight.

madsciencenow
01-03-2020, 09:02 AM
I’m in as soon as I can get on my scale. Need to drop 10-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt88
01-03-2020, 09:32 AM
In. Thanks for some extra motivation.

b33
01-03-2020, 10:26 AM
I'm in and hung my head in shame as I put in my current weight!!!!!

commonguy001
01-03-2020, 10:35 AM
I need to lose some this year so I'm in. No idea on weight as I haven't weighed in months but will tomorrow and update the spreadsheet. Goal weight is 175 although I may re-evaluate depending on what the scale says as it might be a little aggressive and I need to be realistic.

Between being sick for a month earlier this year, spending 100% of my non working time for two months getting a house ready for sale and sold... then being displaced and living with relatives for a couple months. I have work to do. Millions of excuses, now it's time.

JAGI410
01-03-2020, 10:56 AM
I haven't stepped on a scale in 2 years because I'm scared of the number. I worked really hard to go from 267 to 195, just to gain most of it back through lack of self discipline. I'll check the scale in the morning and join in the festivities. Good luck everyone!

tourmalet
01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Lost about 20 lbs in a group challenge a two years ago and gained back 8 or so since then. Happy to join!

GScot
01-03-2020, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I just have to buy batteries for the scale:). Could stand to burn off some cookies and beer. Will get the scale in order and join in by next week.

azrider
01-03-2020, 11:32 AM

This...............is gold Jerry......gold I tell ya :hello::hello::hello:

joep2517
01-03-2020, 05:20 PM
I’m in. Thanks

5oakterrace
01-03-2020, 06:05 PM
I am in. Actually started a few weeks ago and dropped from 211 to current 203. Aiming for Assault on Mt. Mitchell in May. DNF last year and am convinced weight was a factor. Have to lose it. Older I get, harder to do. Difficult to keep track of as I lose up to 8 pounds a work-out, obviously water weight. How well I hydrate is key. Now - no sugars. Haven't touched alcohol in a few years. Only dairy is frozen yogurt because it has no fat. Nothing with a face except some fish for protein and omega 3.

bowenarrow
01-03-2020, 06:55 PM
I’m in. Only need to drop about 16 lbs but this will help motivate me.

bobdenver1961
01-03-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm in. I'm reaching the weight limit for some of my bike parts!

Clean39T
01-03-2020, 07:41 PM
My goal is 195 back to 175 by this summer - and from there we'll see what's possible on a longer timeline..

I've done it before, I can do it again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

azrider
01-03-2020, 08:00 PM
My goal is 195 back to 175 by this summer - and from there we'll see what's possible on a longer timeline..

I've done it before, I can do it again.

Exactly where I'm at. I was in best shape of my life and the lightest of my life for big race in Aug 2018. I tipped scales at 162, and I've somehow made it into 190's territory.

At 6'3" I am a big fan of 170........giddyup

XXtwindad
01-03-2020, 08:29 PM
A few tips from a PT who has had several fat loss clients over the years:

1) "slow" movement over hard-charging weekend grindfests. Steady, low impact movement (walking to lunch, taking the stairs) is much more effective than being sedentary all week long and trying to compensate with a century ride.

2) Hydrate. Most of us are chronically dehydrated. The body often mistakes dehydration for hunger.

3) Avoid the office snacks. They're one of the biggest culprits, by far.

4) If you really want an accurate reading of your body comp (fat vs muscle) get a Hydrostatic Underwater Test. That's the current gold standard.

azrider
01-03-2020, 08:32 PM
4) If you really want an accurate reading of your body comp (fat vs muscle) get a Hydrostatic Underwater Test. That's the current gold standard.

How much cash would that set somebody back?

Asking for friend :hello:

XXtwindad
01-03-2020, 08:37 PM
How much cash would that set somebody back?

Asking for friend :hello:

Just found this link in AZ. http://www.hydrodunk.com/pricing/
But prices vary. Usually, the dunk tanks are mobile.
As an addendum: muscle is denser than fat, as many know. It's possible then, to weigh 200 lbs at six three, and have less body fat than someone at 180 with a similar height.
If you already consider yourself in at least pretty good shape, I'd recommend that Hydrostatic test as a much better barometer than the scale.

nobuseri
01-03-2020, 08:47 PM
I am in. Looking to drop about 10kg.

shinomaster
01-03-2020, 10:06 PM

Any advice? I need to drop 20.:confused:

RoadWhale
01-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Just signed up. I've been on a weight loss/improve fitness journey for just over a year. I'm finding the last pounds the most difficult to lose. Nice to add another element to the equation. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Clean39T
01-04-2020, 12:55 AM
Exactly where I'm at. I was in best shape of my life and the lightest of my life for big race in Aug 2018. I tipped scales at 162, and I've somehow made it into 190's territory.

At 6'3" I am a big fan of 170........giddyupYessiree. I've been down at 170 before and it was a lot of fun.. I got there more through running than cycling tho. Even then I had another 5-10 of healthy fluff to lose. Climbing was such a treat. I'm actually in better shape now after a few years of very consistent training, so it'll be even more of a hoot to see what it feels like with good cardio and strength as well in addition to the light frame. That's the dream anyway...

weisan
01-04-2020, 06:44 AM
Matt pal, thanks for starting this.

Do you save a "backup"?

What happens if someone accidentally erase or fat-finger or select all....?

marciero
01-04-2020, 07:10 AM

Do you save a "backup"?

Um... dont do that ;-)

Aside from that, there is the full complement of editing-undo, revert to earlier version, etc.

weisan
01-04-2020, 07:21 AM
Um... dont do that ;-)

Aside from that, there is the full complement of editing-undo, revert to earlier version, etc.

True dat....I will be sure to burn an incense every day praying for another day of safety and prosperity.

marciero
01-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Okay I am in.
I'm thinking if I stop the thrice-weekly one and two pints of ice cream, that should be good for a few pounds. So far this year I've held to the "no refined sugar" program.

So I dusted off the old scale. Had myself pegged at 170 but am a few lbs more than that. It does show a four-pound difference with my scale in two different spots on the floor so will have to be consistent...
Maybe it's a good thing being heavier than I thought since this means greater gain in performance for my target weight.

Hilltopperny
01-04-2020, 07:33 AM
I am in! Since the birth of my son and the activities of my teenage daughter have ramped up I have been putting on the pounds. Definitely going to be more aware of my daily food intake and my excercise regimen.

Likes2ridefar
01-04-2020, 08:17 AM
I didn’t weigh in yet, but am certain I gained 5 to 10 pounds over the last month or so eating lots of good food like cheese fondue and drinks like Christmas bomb imperial stouts :)

I’m joining once I can access my scale.

madsciencenow
01-04-2020, 08:41 AM
There’s a very interesting review article on intermediate fasting and the health benefits that was recently published in NEJM. Here’s a link if anyone is interested. I’m posting this up here as it seems applicable to losing a few lbs.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1905136

Access is free if you register.

JAGI410
01-04-2020, 08:59 AM
There's a phone app called Zero that is a timer for Intermittent Fasting. It also has a bunch of articles and information. I tried it twice this week and I think I can do it more.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2020, 09:00 AM
First, if I sign up, I gotta participate, I guess.

Challenge'?? What is the challenge if your weight is 162 and your 'goal' is 160??

I guess I'm in..just added. Gonna try the eat kinda normal(but better) 5 days a week, then 500-700 cal max on WE..we'll see.

Not sure I entered it right..confusing..

AngryScientist
01-04-2020, 09:19 AM
2) Hydrate. Most of us are chronically dehydrated. The body often mistakes dehydration for hunger.

XX,

What is a good strategy to determine how much water to drink or if we are properly hydrated?

it seems obvious to me that if one day i take a long spin class and sweat out buckets i need to intake more water than a day i do resistance training and walk a lot but never break a sweat?

i personally also think i'm lacking in the hydration department, looking for some easy rule of thumb to make sure i stay on top of hydration?

XXtwindad
01-04-2020, 10:01 AM
XX,

What is a good strategy to determine how much water to drink or if we are properly hydrated?

it seems obvious to me that if one day i take a long spin class and sweat out buckets i need to intake more water than a day i do resistance training and walk a lot but never break a sweat?

i personally also think i'm lacking in the hydration department, looking for some easy rule of thumb to make sure i stay on top of hydration?

Well, the classic guidelines call for the "8X8" rule: eight ounce glasses of water eight times a day. But those are just suggested guidelines. If you're doing high intensity stuff for over an hour, you'll need more, along with (possibly) a sports drink containing electrolytes.

For me personally, I need more, because I'm on my feet all day long doing low-grade movements and exercises, and I also have a "salt" tooth which affects hydration levels.

Lastly, because its germane to this discussion, I've never liked the word "diet." I think it's problematic for a lot of people. We're not hard wired for negation. I think adjusting "eating habits" is much more sustainable way to "reframe" things.

A few links pertaining to the stuff above:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/510463-how-body-mistakes-hunger-for-thirst/

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sodium-intake-dehydrate-you-4352.html

A good book on the subject: "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss.

madsciencenow
01-04-2020, 10:05 AM
There's a phone app called Zero that is a timer for Intermittent Fasting. It also has a bunch of articles and information. I tried it twice this week and I think I can do it more.

Thanks! I’ll check this out!

unterhausen
01-04-2020, 10:51 AM
I am in. Looking to drop about 10kg.

I want to drop 25kg. Seems a lot more doable than the same weight in pounds.

MattTuck
01-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Do you save a "backup"?

Yeah, we can revert to an earlier version, Google is tracking our every key stroke. Hopefully though, it doesn't come to that.

In other news, I had to add more columns to accommodate the interest. THis is great, but the graph will need some reworking on my part.

good luck to everyone.

MattTuck
01-04-2020, 01:17 PM
A few tips from a PT who has had several fat loss clients over the years:

3) Avoid the office snacks. They're one of the biggest culprits, by far.

And the home snacks. Like the ice cream, cookies and cookie dough.

It does show a four-pound difference with my scale in two different spots on the floor so will have to be consistent...

or.... maybe there is a disturbance in the gravitational field in your bathroom. Better have NASA come take a look. :)

JasonF
01-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Thanks for starting this!

My weight goal isn't huge (lose 8%) but the tougher challenge will be the goal to preserve muscle mass and avoid getting "skinny fat". Now that I'm 50 it seems that my body wants to hold onto fat stores and is more than happy to cannibalize muscle mass to move the scale's needle lower. That's no bueno.

So I'll be tracking the ratio to lean body mass (LBM) to fat mass. Ideally, I'd want to see fat mass trend lower to a greater degree than LBM. In the end, I don't really care what my body weight is, only that my BF goes from around 16% to 10-12%, without looking like I starved myself to get there.

My workouts will consist entirely of compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, BB row) on a 3-day split with chins/dips thrown in if I have gas left in the tank.

Cardio will maybe be 2-3 HIIT workouts a week on my Concept2 Bikeerg.

This being L.A., I'm having "Fitness Kitchen" deliver lunch & dinner 5 days a week.

I have travel planned in Feb & March so I hope it doesn't derail things.

Dekonick
01-04-2020, 02:06 PM
XX,

Short of looking at your creatinine and BUN to get a 'real' number, take a piss. Your piss should be light yellow to clear, and you should clear about 1-2ml/kg hour. Less than that and you are probably dehydrated. Darker urine usually means more concentrated urine - your body is trying to save water. It can mean other things, but we won't get into that.

Dekonick
01-04-2020, 02:11 PM
BUT if you want to burn fat, you need more water for hydrolysis. Drink more - but absolutely make sure you are urinating light yellow to clear, and at least 1-2ml/kg/hour. It is pretty cool how it all works.

Don't hate... embrace the pain...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle#/media/File:Citric_acid_cycle_with_aconitate_2.svg

MattTuck
01-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Another time that I was successful shedding some pounds, I was surprised that my LBM also dropped quite a bit as I lost a bit of fat. I was using a body fat monitoring scale, so we're not talking a super high precision device. But over time, I want to say that I lost about 20 pounds of fat and 10 pounds of non-fat weight.

The real question is where that non-fat weight actually was. If it was in fluid/tissues that were there to support the fat, then losing it was probably not bad. If it was truly lean muscle, then that is probably not good.

Strength training is probably the way to defend against that.

Thanks for starting this!

My weight goal isn't huge (lose 8%) but the tougher challenge will be the goal to preserve muscle mass and avoid getting "skinny fat". Now that I'm 50 it seems that my body wants to hold onto fat stores and is more than happy to cannibalize muscle mass to move the scale's needle lower. That's no bueno.

So I'll be tracking the ratio to lean body mass (LBM) to fat mass. Ideally, I'd want to see fat mass trend lower to a greater degree than LBM. In the end, I don't really care what my body weight is, only that my BF goes from around 16% to 10-12%, without looking like I starved myself to get there.

My workouts will consist entirely of compound movements (squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, BB row) on a 3-day split with chins/dips thrown in if I have gas left in the tank.

Cardio will maybe be 2-3 HIIT workouts a week on my Concept2 Bikeerg.

This being L.A., I'm having "Fitness Kitchen" deliver lunch & dinner 5 days a week.

I have travel planned in Feb & March so I hope it doesn't derail things.

XXtwindad
01-05-2020, 09:40 AM
Another time that I was successful shedding some pounds, I was surprised that my LBM also dropped quite a bit as I lost a bit of fat. I was using a body fat monitoring scale, so we're not talking a super high precision device. But over time, I want to say that I lost about 20 pounds of fat and 10 pounds of non-fat weight.

The real question is where that non-fat weight actually was. If it was in fluid/tissues that were there to support the fat, then losing it was probably not bad. If it was truly lean muscle, then that is probably not good.

Yes, but that's not the only (or most important) reason for strength training. We all lose bone density as we age, and resistance (strength) training is one of the best ways to mitigate that loss. It doesn't have to be a huge amount of weight either. I'm a big proponent of body weight exercises.

JasonF
01-05-2020, 10:22 AM

Yes, but that's not the only (or most important) reason for strength training. We all lose bone density as we age, and resistance (strength) training is one of the best ways to mitigate that loss. It doesn't have to be a huge amount of weight either. I'm a big proponent of body weight exercises.

So true. I use a combination of a tape measure that's made specifically for measuring waist circumference in addition to fat calipers. Scales are notoriously inaccurate but still give a good measure of trend if used the same way consistently (i.e., time of day, etc....)

Any resistance training that recruits more than one muscle group per movement is a good compound exercise. Pullups, dips, chins, push-ups, lunges, etc...are all good compound bodyweight movements. Add a barbell and do squats, deads, etc...and it's even better.

Here's a good link that describes how to avoid getting "skinny fat".

https://legionathletics.com/skinny-fat/

XXtwindad
01-05-2020, 10:59 AM
So true. I use a combination of a tape measure that's made specifically for measuring waist circumference in addition to fat calipers. Scales are notoriously inaccurate but still give a good measure of trend if used the same way consistently (i.e., time of day, etc....)

Any resistance training that recruits more than one muscle group per movement is a good compound exercise. Pullups, dips, chins, push-ups, lunges, etc...are all good compound bodyweight movements. Add a barbell and do squats, deads, etc...and it's even better.

Here's a good link that describes how to avoid getting "skinny fat".

https://legionathletics.com/skinny-fat/

Hey Jason -

Just clicked on the link. Interesting. But as a CPT, I do have some comments.

From the link:

"Skinny fat describes a condition in which someone is a relatively normal weight, but has very little muscle and too much body fat.

The three primary causes of skinny fatness are severe calorie restriction, excessive cardio, and a lack of heavy, compound weightlifting.
The solution to skinny fatness is the opposite: moderately reduce your calorie intake, do just enough cardio to keep burning fat, and do lots of heavy, compound weightlifting."

1) I agree with the severe calories restriction. A sure-fire recipe for disaster. Pun intended. That will never work. Our bodies are just not wired for long-term negation.

2) I have a big problem with the cardio component. I see this a lot from various sources (Mark Sisson of the "Primal Blueprint" is a prime example) and I don't buy it. Primarily because it equates movement solely for aesthetics. I've never done a century ride (or even a 10 mile ride) for fat loss. I've done it for the sheer pleasure of cycling. Under the guidelines espoused by the article, that type of riding is verboten. Again, I don't buy it. Cardiovascular endurance is one of the surest barometers of health and fitness. And cycling is fun.

3) Too many people get injured by using an inappropriate amount of weight. If your core muscles can't sustain a one minute plank with good form, you should not be messing around with a bunch of weight.

Lastly, and this is a big one, the example of a "good physique" (the really ripped dude) is utter bull****. That's completely unrealistic for most people. I understand the marketing side of things, but for a healthy and attainable goal, that is pure nonsense.

Respectfully,

XX

unterhausen
01-05-2020, 11:14 AM
My best weight loss was losing a half pound a week for a couple of years. I did that by swimming every day. I find that restricting my diet doesn't work that well, but cutting out high calorie snacks is essential. A lot of that is habit.

I think that article pointed people vaguely in the right direction, but I don't see anything wrong with a reasonable cardio routine. Our goal here is 100% aimed at cardio. A lot of people in the health business don't understand the importance of recovery. You still hear people say that you should always put out maximal effort every workout. That's just a recipe for failure. The cynical side in me thinks that people want to hear that they shouldn't do cardio and should do weights.

KJMUNC
01-05-2020, 11:15 AM
I'm in....I lost 35lbs last year by going keto for 4mo but wound up putting 15 back on after going off it and eating/drinking excessively during Q4 (something I always seem to do).

good motivation for the new year!

JasonF
01-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Hey Jason -

Just clicked on the link. Interesting. But as a CPT, I do have some comments.

1) I agree with the severe calories restriction. A sure-fire recipe for disaster. Pun intended. That will never work. Our bodies are just not wired for long-term negation.

2) I have a big problem with the cardio component. I see this a lot from various sources (Mark Sisson of the "Primal Blueprint" is a prime example) and I don't buy it. Primarily because it equates movement solely for aesthetics. I've never done a century ride (or even a 10 mile ride) for fat loss. I've done it for the sheer pleasure of cycling. Under the guidelines espoused by the article, that type of riding is verboten. Again, I don't buy it. Cardiovascular endurance is one of the surest barometers of health and fitness. And cycling is fun.

3) Too many people get injured by using an inappropriate amount of weight. If your core muscles can't sustain a one minute plank with good form, you should not be messing around with a bunch of weight.

Lastly, and this is a big one, the example of a "good physique" (the really ripped dude) is utter bull****. That's completely unrealistic for most people. I understand the marketing side of things, but for a healthy and attainable goal, that is pure nonsense.

Respectfully,

XX

Thanks for the reply XX. As a CPT do you see a difference in your clients when they do LISS or HIIT if the goal is to build (or at least preserve) muscle mass? My goal for this PL challenge is to preserve what mass I have and so I'm trying to avoid going catabolic whenever possible.

Thanks, Jason

XXtwindad
01-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the reply XX. As a CPT do you see a difference in your clients when they do LISS or HIIT if the goal is to build (or at least preserve) muscle mass? My goal for this PL challenge is to preserve what mass I have and so I'm trying to avoid going catabolic whenever possible.

Thanks, Jason

Hey Jason -

Well, that's kind of a tough question, but I'll try to keep it simple. I think, ideally, that fitness should entail a combination of both "LISS" and "HIIT." The caveat is that most of my clients come from an athletic background. So, I'll up the ante on the HIIT training, as well doing proprioceptively challenging things like one-legged balancing on a BOSU Ball while throwing and catching a football.

For the vast majority of people (unlike many members of this Forum) I don't think HIIT training works. And the reason why is simple: it's too unpleasant. If you come from a largely sedentary background HIIT training won't be sustainable.

The regimen you alluded to earlier seems great for your goals. I'd add some flexibility exercises (maybe you do) as well balance drills. But I always tell my clients that cardio and flexibility "never lie." Any fitness regimen (including one oriented toward fat loss) should include those two elements.

Also, FWIW, I hardly ever use large amounts of weight. You can get a hell of a workout using stability balls, medicine balls, and body weight exercises where you're inherently unstable and forced to recruit more muscle groups.

JasonF
01-05-2020, 10:01 PM
Hey Jason -

Also, FWIW, I hardly ever use large amounts of weight. You can get a hell of a workout using stability balls, medicine balls, and body weight exercises where you're inherently unstable and forced to recruit more muscle groups.

XX, thanks for the thoughtful reply! Very cool pics, and as I get older stability and flexibility get more and more important. Your clients are lucky to have you as their trainer.

XXtwindad
01-06-2020, 08:41 AM
XX, thanks for the thoughtful reply! Very cool pics, and as I get older stability and flexibility get more and more important. Your clients are lucky to have you as their trainer.

Hey Jason, thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated.

As an addendum, I just double checked Sisson's book, and he warns against "chronic cardio," which, judging by the responses in the bike mileage thread, many of the members are in danger of doing. His primary reason is that it will lead to inhaling high GI foods for an expedient fuel source, and make you fat.

The author you provided a link to warns against excessive cardio, because it will make you skinny (or catabolic) and fat. It gets confusing, right?

My best advice is to incorporate all the fitness elements (cardio, strength training, flexibility, and balance) into a regimen. But that won't sell a lot of books. :)

Powerful Pete
01-06-2020, 02:15 PM
What the heck. Weighed myself this morning and :eek:

Was in great shape last spring... and am no longer in that condition. :mad:

Will be traveling significantly less this year (lots of intercontinental trips, hotels and business meals), and am dedicating myself to improved fitness and lifestyle choices.

Have found that IF works very well with me - I tend to ride ˜4 times a week (30-50km) leaving the house at 4AM and go for long evening walks most days. IF eating only a light breakfast and lunch, and the weight tends to come off rather quickly... Let's see if I am able to stick to it.

Alas, off for a three week work trip to Rome (my hometown!) with much family and work entertaining planned and no access to a bike. :help:

Clean39T
01-06-2020, 02:22 PM
But that won't sell a lot of books. :)

THIS x 1,000....

Diet and exercise blogs, books, podcasts, etc. are chockablock with hucksters and snake-oil salespersons.

Move more, eat less. Minimize processed stuff and alcohol. Get sleep. Drink water. Do some weight bearing stuff for your bones. Adjust based on results. It is incredibly simple, just not that easy - because we are humans in a modern world that sells us a million ways to satiate our cravings and assuage our emotional states with junk.....swim against that tide and you'll be fine..

tuxbailey
01-06-2020, 02:26 PM
I am in.

I am trying the 16:8 intermittent fasting schedule this year and I will see if I can lose 30 lbs by year's end.

AngryScientist
01-06-2020, 02:28 PM
1) "slow" movement over hard-charging weekend grindfests. Steady, low impact movement (walking to lunch, taking the stairs) is much more effective than being sedentary all week long and trying to compensate with a century ride.

i would like to visit this point.

if this is true (which i am not second guessing you XX, just for the sake of education here...) - why is it that so many manual labor job working folks are overweight? i take the train in the morning with construction workers, painters, scaffolders, roofers, etc etc - and many of these folks are what i would call overweight.

the jobs they work basically mean they are indeed on their feet and moving all day, every day, often into overtime and into weekends.

based on your point, these people should be better adapted to losing weight than us weekend warrior cyclists, but that does not seem to be the case. i never could understand how, if i were to put roofs on for a week, i would be nearly dead of exhaustion at the end of that week, where as these guys do it and look like they are otherwise in awful physical condition.

is it just a matter of diet then for them?

teleguy57
01-06-2020, 02:33 PM
I looked at this thread when it was one page, then at my scale, and thought "crap, I can't put my weight online for all to see." Thought about it some more, and skimming the SS again found I actually have a lot of company almost my exact weight and target so I said to myself "heck, these are people like me. I need all the friends and help I can get..." I'm in.

Trying to think of a way to tweak Clean's freeway graphic -- not sure what my starting point is but I'd be very happy just to get back on the roleur route!

tuxbailey
01-06-2020, 02:35 PM

I think it is the diet. If your lunch is a lot of fast food and you consume a few pints after work every day then it is not easy to lose weight.

unterhausen
01-06-2020, 02:45 PM
I looked at this thread when it was one page, then at my scale, and thought "crap, I can't put my weight online for all to see."
same for me. I found out last summer when I was comparing weight to a friend that it was easier for me to lose weight. But we both got stuck at around 185. Which is a lot better than the 205 now. That much weight is bad for my blood pressure too, I would be a lot better off at 170.

I think the issue I have is that my events can be difficult to recover from. And so I don't do any exercise on too many recovery days. Trying to turn that pattern around.

XXtwindad
01-06-2020, 02:59 PM

if this is true (which i am not second guessing you XX, just for the sake of education here...) - why is it that so many manual labor job working folks are overweight? i take the train in the morning with construction workers, painters, scaffolders, roofers, etc etc - and many of these folks are what i would call overweight.

the jobs they work basically mean they are indeed on their feet and moving all day, every day, often into overtime and into weekends.

based on your point, these people should be better adapted to losing weight than us weekend warrior cyclists, but that does not seem to be the case. i never could understand how, if i were to put roofs on for a week, i would be nearly dead of exhaustion at the end of that week, where as these guys do it and look like they are otherwise in awful physical condition.

Well, that's a valid question. I would say for the people you're referring to, that, yes, diet is a big factor. What we don't know about the people you're referring to is how fit they are, because the can be two completely different things.

But, in general, I will say that people whose job entails more everyday movement are much more likely to be fit, and probably less overweight, than people who work at a desk job.

There is a famous survey of London bus drivers/ticket takers in the 1960s here:http://www.englishecho.com/london-bus-drivers-and-conductors/

The main findings:

London Double-Decker Buses
The first results Dr. Morris and his team got back were that of the London bus employees. Their data showed that the drivers of double-decker buses had substantially higher cardiovascular disease, adjusted for age, than the conductors, or ticket collectors.

Both bus drivers and conductors earned similar wages and came from the same socio-economic class.

Standing vs. Sitting

The main difference between them was that the drivers sat behind the wheel about 90% of their working day, while the conductors walked up and down the bus aisles, and climbed up and down the stairs joining the upper and lower decks, or about 600 steps in total.

In the 1950s, Dr. Morris extended the study, comparing postal workers who delivered the mail by walking or riding bicycles with the clerks behind the window at the post office and the telephone operators. The results showed that the deliverers had a far lower risk of developing heart disease.

Also, there is a well known health assessment done on the Amish showing them to be much fitter than the average American (even given their full fat food diet) based on the amount of low grade everyday movement they do.
Seen here: https://www.discoverwalking.com/blog/amish-walking-fitness.php

Lastly, I have some personal experience in this. When I graduated from "J" school, I got a job as a copy editor at a paper. Same basic regimen. Only difference was that, for the first time in my life, I was mostly sedentary for eight hours a day. The result? I gained 25 pounds over a course of a year. And a belly to boot. The only time in my life that's happened.

What keeps me in good shape now is primarily low grade movement. I supplement it with body weight exercises and cycling, to be sure. But the main difference between myself and most people is that I'm doing constant low-grade activity.

I'm 100% convinced that the ticket to fighting obesity and being fit is in the amount of time being active the versus the amount of time being sedentary. And avoiding processed food.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but lots of misinformation out there, IMO.

XXtwindad
01-06-2020, 03:01 PM
THIS x 1,000....

Diet and exercise blogs, books, podcasts, etc. are chockablock with hucksters and snake-oil salespersons.

Move more, eat less. Minimize processed stuff and alcohol. Get sleep. Drink water. Do some weight bearing stuff for your bones. Adjust based on results. It is incredibly simple, just not that easy - because we are humans in a modern world that sells us a million ways to satiate our cravings and assuage our emotional states with junk.....swim against that tide and you'll be fine..

This is what I meant to say. I just got tongue-tied. But again, good luck branding common sense.

Hilltopperny
01-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Having worked in those fields and seeing it first hand it is just poor health in general. The majority smoke cigarettes, eat unhealthy, drink a lot of alcohol(like full cooler in the truck for the drive home) and a lot have drug habits. Some folks are fit as a fiddle, but the majority of them are not.

The other aspect is that outdoor labor in the Northeast doesn’t exist in the winter months so most of us get laid off and typically gain 20% of our own body weight in the months off.

NYCfixie
01-06-2020, 03:11 PM
One also needs to consider how agri-business and other food corporations have negatively affected the food supply. We are all responsible for what we put in our mouths/bodies and the choices we make but the "healthy" options today are not always affordable and available to everyone especially lower income groups. When those studies were done in the 60s all food was more healthy than it is today.

I always use McDonald's as a reference to make a point. In the 50s/60s, an adult meal with burger, fries, and soda not only had less crap in it (i.e. corn syrup, fillers, potato mash) but was the size of today's kid's happy meal. In these modern times, we are simply eating larger portions of unhealthier food.

Well, that's a valid question. I would say for the people you're referring to, that, yes, diet is a big factor. What we don't know about the people you're referring to is how fit they are, because the can be two completely different things.

But, in general, I will say that people whose job entails more everyday movement are much more likely to be fit, and probably less overweight, than people who work at a desk job.

There is a famous survey of London bus drivers/ticket takers in the 1960s here:http://www.englishecho.com/london-bus-drivers-and-conductors/

The main findings:

London Double-Decker Buses
The first results Dr. Morris and his team got back were that of the London bus employees. Their data showed that the drivers of double-decker buses had substantially higher cardiovascular disease, adjusted for age, than the conductors, or ticket collectors.

Both bus drivers and conductors earned similar wages and came from the same socio-economic class.

Standing vs. Sitting

The main difference between them was that the drivers sat behind the wheel about 90% of their working day, while the conductors walked up and down the bus aisles, and climbed up and down the stairs joining the upper and lower decks, or about 600 steps in total.

In the 1950s, Dr. Morris extended the study, comparing postal workers who delivered the mail by walking or riding bicycles with the clerks behind the window at the post office and the telephone operators. The results showed that the deliverers had a far lower risk of developing heart disease.

Also, there is a well known health assessment done on the Amish showing them to be much fitter than the average American (even given their full fat food diet) based on the amount of low grade everyday movement they do.
Seen here: https://www.discoverwalking.com/blog/amish-walking-fitness.php

Lastly, I have some personal experience in this. When I graduated from "J" school, I got a job as a copy editor at a paper. Same basic regimen. Only difference was that, for the first time in my life, I was mostly sedentary for eight hours a day. The result? I gained 25 pounds over a course of a year. And a belly to boot. The only time in my life that's happened.

What keeps me in good shape now is primarily low grade movement. I supplement it with body weight exercises and cycling, to be sure. But the main difference between myself and most people is that I'm doing constant low-grade activity.

I'm 100% convinced that the ticket to fighting obesity and being fit is in the amount of time being active the versus the amount of time being sedentary. And avoiding processed food.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but lots of misinformation out there, IMO.

RobJ
01-06-2020, 04:17 PM
uh, are the two numbers under our name supposed to be the target and stretch target? :bike:

RobJ
01-06-2020, 04:20 PM
uh, are the two numbers under our name supposed to be the target and stretch target? :bike:

Ahh, looks like current weight and target. My left column buddy and I have the same deets....:banana:

huck*this
01-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Is there a certain time of day we should be weighing ourselves? Does it matter?

JasonF
01-06-2020, 08:41 PM

For consistency sake, I do it first thing in the morning (Saturdays) after a visit to the loo and before drinking any water.

joosttx
01-06-2020, 08:53 PM

I weigh in the morning after I pee. My rationale is it is consistent (same time, many hours after eating anything) and easy. I guess I could weigh myself before bed too but somehow first thing in the morning works best for me.

madsciencenow
01-06-2020, 09:07 PM
The consensus about weighing in the am has some scientific rational behind it. There’s more here if anyone is interested. In addition, apparently weighing every day is also helpful although I don’t know if I can handle the pain!

https://www.consumerreports.org/scales/the-best-time-to-weigh-yourself/

5oakterrace
01-07-2020, 06:12 AM
I weigh myself in the morning and in the evening. And if I remember before and after training. Helps me keep track of dehydration issues, reminds me to drink more. That awareness - dare I write obsession - also gives me that little extra I need to avoid the temptations which bombard me all day long. When I am always on the verge of a little bit hungry those temptations become too alluring. I look at this way - by nature I have gravitated to my weight. It is my "default" setting. To change that takes - for me - a heck of a lot of work - obsession. Obsession has a lot of negative connotations in our time - so you can re-frame it as determination, focus - whatever. The problem comes when one of life's speed bumps appears and the desire to revert back to the "old ways" becomes ever stronger. Without the obsession I am a goner in those moments. And once I start going down that decent it is easy to pick up speed.
Heck, this challenge adds fuel to the whole awareness, accountability issue.

seanile
01-07-2020, 10:31 AM

saw this today, thought of you:p
https://i.imgur.com/4OG3QdK.jpg

XXtwindad
01-07-2020, 11:16 AM
I weigh myself in the morning and in the evening. And if I remember before and after training. Helps me keep track of dehydration issues, reminds me to drink more. That awareness - dare I write obsession - also gives me that little extra I need to avoid the temptations which bombard me all day long. When I am always on the verge of a little bit hungry those temptations become too alluring. I look at this way - by nature I have gravitated to my weight. It is my "default" setting. To change that takes - for me - a heck of a lot of work - obsession. Obsession has a lot of negative connotations in our time - so you can re-frame it as determination, focus - whatever. The problem comes when one of life's speed bumps appears and the desire to revert back to the "old ways" becomes ever stronger. Without the obsession I am a goner in those moments. And once I start going down that decent it is easy to pick up speed.
Heck, this challenge adds fuel to the whole awareness, accountability issue.

This is a really interesting post. It brings up a few very salient points.

1) Sustained fat loss is very, very hard. This is not something I really understood until I became a PT. The body has an inherent "set" point as the OP above alluded to. Once weight drops below a certain point, the body goes into starvation mode and starts to crave calories and energy. That's one of the big reasons that obese people find it so hard to sustain fat loss. Not to mention that it's a LONG arduous process, and as human beings, we're not hard-wired for long term goals.

2) Which brings me to the second point the OP mentioned which is "reframing." Telling people who need to drop a significant amount of weight that it's for health reasons hasn't proven to be a very effective "carrot." There has to be a mental recalibration. Moving makes you "feel better." It's a 'Mood enhancer."

There's a reason why the recidivism rate on shlock TV shows such as the "Biggest Loser" is almost 100%: they haven't shown people how to mentally recalibrate (or "reframe") fitness. But, I'm pretty sure the producers of "TBL" couldn't really give a **** about actually making people healthy.

zambenini
01-07-2020, 12:20 PM
I'm in, added myself to the doc. My wife's second pregnancy has been really arduous for all of us; lotta ice cream and waffles. I'm up almost 15lbs since this summer (oof). Baby's due date is tomorrow. This will be interesting! Might get worse before it gets better. Lot of lasagna is probably on its way to us.

unterhausen
01-07-2020, 12:26 PM
I have a measurement error or I lost 10 pounds since I weighed myself at the gym on Sunday. Have to go back to the gym to see what's going on.

azrider
01-07-2020, 01:04 PM
I added a pound...........DAMMIT

Hey.....whats with people putting what their weight is on the 16th of January or some other date in the future ???

Hilltopperny
01-07-2020, 01:12 PM
I have a measurement error or I lost 10 pounds since I weighed myself at the gym on Sunday. Have to go back to the gym to see what's going on.

Always good to use the same scale at the same general time of day. My weight can literally vary by 5lbs from the beginning to the end of the day!

MattTuck
01-07-2020, 01:16 PM
I added a pound...........DAMMIT

Hey.....whats with people putting what their weight is on the 16th of January or some other date in the future ???

The first column is just a base line example of what 1 pound per week would look like on the graph.

Looks like seanile did something similar to see what it will take for him to reach his goal.

Joe Bag'o'donuts was just my test example to make sure everything was working. I need to expand the graph to the additional people, but haven't had time. Will try to do it this week. For those people, just focus on the numbers you've entered, not the graph.

zambenini
01-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Don't graph me for a coupla weeks. Can't bear to see it. ;)

MattTuck
01-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Don't graph me for a coupla weeks. Can't bear to see it. ;)

No worries. We had twins in 2018 and it has been all down hill since then with regard to fitness since then. Hopefully you figure out a better solution than I did.

That lasagna sounds great!

zambenini
01-07-2020, 01:23 PM
I was kidding .. I know the truth will set me free. Funny, I did a cool weight lifting and diet regiment in the spring and I got instant results. But the will is weak, a ten year anniversary trip to Spain killed any diet and exercise regimentation, etc. Too much travel afterward. Living the good life will kill ya. Anyway, but the regimen... I wrote in my journal something like,"Remember: this works." Need to hold that high.

Two at a time must have been a riot. What are you doing now?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

unterhausen
01-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Always good to use the same scale at the same general time of day. My weight can literally vary by 5lbs from the beginning to the end of the day!
the gym and my scale at home were matching pretty well. I was a bit surprised at the gym weight, I had been hovering at 200lb and then it went up even though I was exercising and watching my diet. The gym has a better scale, but I don't really want to go there very often

Hilltopperny
01-07-2020, 01:37 PM
the gym and my scale at home were matching pretty well. I was a bit surprised at the gym weight, I had been hovering at 200lb and then it went up even though I was exercising and watching my diet. The gym has a better scale, but I don't really want to go there very often

I gained 3 lbs and then lost around 6 within a few days. I typically shed the first 20lb quick it’s the last 15 that I haven’t been able to get rid of for the past few years. Genuinely going to try to get down to 200 by the Spring and then possibly 185 after that. Haven’t been there since 2013...

5oakterrace
01-08-2020, 05:03 AM
1) Sustained fat loss is very, very hard.... we're not hard-wired for long term goals.

2) Telling people who need to drop a significant amount of weight that it's for health reasons hasn't proven to be a very effective "carrot."

I made a lifestyle change via my Dr.'s recommendation. I had high cholesterol and was borderline obese. He went on a plant based eating plan and his cholesterol dropped (see Preventing and Reversing Artery Disease by Esselstyn, China Study by Campbell, Engine 2). He recommended those books. My cholesterol dropped and I lost 55 pounds. This was maybe 7 years ago. I gained back 11 since then, because I cheat. The motivation? Fear of death probably as my father died of coronary artery disease and lived a very sedentary life for 12 years (what they recommended back then) after his first heart attack. Then again, the thought that I was denying myself all these bikes so my wife could spend the savings with whoever the next guy is...)

I also ponder whether it is really fear of death - which is running from something --- or whether the real motivator is what I am cycling/running toward. I have a vision/goal which is an event this summer. The challenge is what happens after the event is over...

marciero
01-08-2020, 06:16 AM
Dusted off the old scale. I've marked location on floor with tape for placing scale. Same location, same time relative to bathroom activities and coffee (I need two cups prior to doing anything, plus it facilitates the first item, if you know what I mean). Am getting about a 1.5lb difference socks vs barefeet (holding socks in my hands). Am going with the lower value! It's slow going as I am over 50 but I feel pretty good adhering to my no "extraneous" refined sugar program. Hopefully the nightly one or even two pints of ice cream are behind me. Small amounts of incidental sugar okay, processed sugar-loaded food not. Naturally occurring sugar in fruit, sugar in maple syrup, etc- okay in small amounts. No more pizza. No more entire loaves of sourdough boule, croissants, cinnamon buns,...

Saw "Joker" last night. Joaquin Phoenix lost 50lbs for that role. With four months until beginning of shooting and no weight lost he had to reassure director Todd Phillips not to worry, he'd done this before. Just sayin.

Hilltopperny
01-08-2020, 07:12 AM
I have already lost about 9lbs from just not eating anything other than an apple or some berries after Dinner and cleaning up my diet during the day.

I am starting a few core exercises that used to be part of my pt routine as my back has been bothering me since the cold weather moved in. Feeling good after getting in some hip raises and planks. Might even break out the old pull up bar and start trying to get back into a solid routine only using my body weight as resistance?

unterhausen
01-08-2020, 07:47 AM
2) Telling people who need to drop a significant amount of weight that it's for health reasons hasn't proven to be a very effective "carrot." I figured out my bp was normal in the 170 range and high anywhere about 185 or so. Like a switch. Told my doc and he said that lifestyle changes don't work. Not that I fully agree with him, but I'm on bp meds now

oldpotatoe
01-08-2020, 08:00 AM
I'm in, added myself to the doc. My wife's second pregnancy has been really arduous for all of us; lotta ice cream and waffles. I'm up almost 15lbs since this summer (oof). Baby's due date is tomorrow. This will be interesting! Might get worse before it gets better. Lot of lasagna is probably on its way to us.

GOOD VIBES and best of luck!! Babies are kinda the best thing and worse thing that can happen..at the same time..You'll forever be nervous everytime you hear a ambulance siren.. see yer number 2..so you already know..

:)

BUT, trying the EB, EL, DL, RL gig..1 serving not 2, less junk..be slightly on the 'kinda hungry' side all the time. Drink lotsa water..
Eat Better
Eat Less
Drink Less(beer)
Ride Lotz

Might be a slower weight loss but 'might' stay off longer.

cmb5286
01-08-2020, 09:55 AM
I'm in! I picked up cycling last March and was about 225. Now I'm sitting at 206. The holidays were tough ie all the cookies and pies my wife made sitting at the house.

Also attempting a race in March and would like to be around 190 by then. Our third kid is due in about 6 weeks, so I'm trying to get lots of training in by then. Because after not so sure I'll have the time. But I look forward to cheering all you guys on. :hello:

seanile
01-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Genuinely going to try to get down to 200 by the Spring and then possibly 185 after that. Haven’t been there since 2013...that is literally my goal and history as well. good luck to us both. :beer:

Hilltopperny
01-08-2020, 10:59 AM
that is literally my goal and history as well. good luck to us both. :beer:

Cheers Sean!

Nooch
01-08-2020, 12:17 PM
So, what's everyone doing?

My wife and I took the approach to kick start things with a Whole30 -- so, I won't be adding a weight back until day 31 (as part of the plan is to keep you from focusing on the number on the scale, which as a cyclist is really freaking hard not to worry about).

Today is day 7 and I'm already sleeping 100x better and not really feeling like I'm missing out on anything. We've done a bunch of these (4? 5? I've lost count) but in the past I've allowed myself to slip back into bad habits (mainly multiple IPA's while sitting on the couch at the end of the day). Going to do my damnedest not to fall back into those old traps, and be more conscious in my decision making process.

seanile
01-08-2020, 12:33 PM
I do a loose version of intermittent fasting; I don't eat breakfast or lunch unless it's given to me free by work (once or twice per week). I just drink water and tea until dinner. Then I eat whatever I want within reason, which usually puts me between 1600-2000 calories. Net that against my bike commute and/or an hour spent rock climbing and I've got the necessary caloric deficit to get rid of some poundage. Once I plateau I'll get a little more organized, but this first step is how I lost 12lbs from Sept 1 to Oct 15 this fall.

General69
01-08-2020, 12:41 PM
I do a loose version of intermittent fasting; I don't eat breakfast or lunch unless it's given to me free by work (once or twice per week). I just drink water and tea until dinner. Then I eat whatever I want within reason, which usually puts me between 1600-2000 calories. Net that against my bike commute and/or an hour spent rock climbing and I've got the necessary caloric deficit to get rid of some poundage. Once I plateau I'll get a little more organized, but this first step is how I lost 12lbs from Sept 1 to Oct 15 this fall.

OMAD! (one meal a day)
I have been on OMAD for about a year except on weekends. I have become so accustomed to it that I catch myself eating one meal on weekends unless there's a ride involved. Lost about 15 lbs (200 lb down to 185 lb) with way too much liquor involved. Next two months I'll cut out the liquor and see how I progress.

madsciencenow
01-08-2020, 01:15 PM
I’m trying to do intermittent fasting where I only eat for 8 hours. I’m also counting calories. If this goes well I may push to something closer to what seanile described doing.

About 10 years ago I lost about 50lbs by counting calories and running. I feel like I need/want the fasting this time because I’ve been borderline hypertensive the last few years and I’d like to use this opportunity to drop the pounds and BP, if possible. There’s research to suggest fasting can help with hypertension.

Clean39T
01-08-2020, 03:02 PM
saw this today, thought of you:p

And as your reward, you shall get a meme a day until this whole thing runs its course.. Fresh memes only too. Except on Thursdays.

https://i.imgflip.com/3lk3hk.jpg

MattTuck
01-08-2020, 03:12 PM
I’m trying to do intermittent fasting where I only eat for 8 hours.

I tried that once. The most I could do was about 1 hour for breakfast, 2 for lunch, 2 for dinner and if I didn't feel sick, I'd go for an hour snack in the evening. 5.5 hours of eating per day was my max, and did not work at all for me. Maybe if I could get over that 8 hour threshold, it would have been different, but I was just packing on the pounds. And felt so stuffed all the time.

Clean39T
01-08-2020, 03:14 PM
So, why my comment about carbs?

Because in my experience, as an athlete and/or just a non-sedentary person, you have to fuel your workouts in order to get stronger and fitter - and when you get stronger and fitter, you have more fun exercising, so you do it more. And you feel better about yourself, are happier, and therefore are less likely to do the things that sabotage your health - drinking, binging, sweets, etc. Plus, by eating enough, you keep your metabolism going strong, your immune system operating, and your whole digestion, mental processes, and such firing the way they should.

I've gotten down to my leanest when eating a vegan (plant-based, whatever) diet that is high in complex carbs and veggies, low in processed foods, and adequate for keeping me going. When doing that, I also cut out all alcohol, limited fatty and sugary foods, fried foods, and the like. I worked out 10+ hrs per week doing things that I loved - running and cycling, and the weight simply melted off over time without much effort beyond continuing to be active and staying on the clean eating program. It really is that easy. If you're eating plant-based, healthy food (not impossible burgers and white bread), it is pretty much impossible to over eat - oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli, etc. You'll simple stop eating before you eat too much. And your body will be full of energy to do the things you want to do.

I've put on 20+ lbs because I stopped doing that - I went back to eating omni, foodie stuff - too much rich food, fried stuff, and booze - and it all caught up with me. As a former hefty guy (I've been as high as 245lbs), those fat cells are standing by to swell me right up if given a chance. So my choice is simple - eating plant based, eat healthy, and enjoy being tight and light - or eat omni and plump up in due course. In either state I'd still be healthier than most folks, it is just a matter of which I prefer and which makes me enjoy life more. And that's why I'm choosing to get back on track.....

tuxbailey
01-08-2020, 11:00 PM

I am doing 16:8 now and I have been able to keep up for 3 weeks already. I am not counting calories but I am not binge eating eat too much junk stuff during the 8 hr window. I am trying to establish a routine before starting counting calories.

A question is, what happen if you go riding for 20 miles in the morning, will you bonk?

seanile
01-08-2020, 11:24 PM
I am doing 16:8 now and I have been able to keep up for 3 weeks already. I am not counting calories but I am not binge eating eat too much junk stuff during the 8 hr window. I am trying to establish a routine before starting counting calories.

A question is, what happen if you go riding for 20 miles in the morning, will you bonk?

Ive bonked more due to too little food and too little sleep the day before than anything day-of. Sounds like a fun experiment to try tho haha

zambenini
01-09-2020, 06:30 AM
One experience I thought I'd share that perhaps will be insightful to a certain kind of person on here ... there can be a big difference between losing weight as a bigger category and developing a strong or fit physique. My body has changed an awful lot over my short years and has operated in many different configurations, and the way I trained and ate made a big difference in how I looked and felt.

Here are a few permutations I have had, and I'm 6'2" with a big frame, for reference:

>kinda chunky big guy, say 200lbs (or a good deal higher), pretty active outdoors, not much else to say (wish I wasn't in this mode right now, but honesty would say so).

>in athletic/bike racer mode, down around 180, kind of a rouleur with huge quads, still obviously a big dude.

>then I really tried to cut weight, restricting calories and riding a lot, got down in the 160s! I was bloody skinny. But importantly, apart from my legs, I didn't have all that much better muscle tone than when I weighed 180 or maybe even 200. I didn't have much muscle as I was doing nothing but 80 mile endurance rides or 30 mile rides with sprint efforts and was skrawny. Depending on the day or what I ate, I could still look kinda flabby or "skinny fat." (I was truly fast though, which was my only goal).

>then I gave up racing, got a little heavier, but was still riding, maybe equalized around 190... then started doing pushups, pull-ups and other upper and full body exercises. Got up to 200, then higher, and back around 200. I got on a structured full body exercise plan that included stuff like lifting heavier weights, kettlebells, explosive stuff, jumping rope, etc. The extra muscle felt really good, and I probably had a good deal more fat by volume than when I weighed in the 160s or 170s like before, but looked and felt much "better" (not that this is about looks) while weighing more but having more muscle, given that I had less fat relative to the muscle mass I had since I was eating more/better and focusing on building muscle.

Anyway, the basic point is weight loss is good if only losing fat and you have too much fat, but some times adding muscle is better, depending on your goals. If you're not trying to get light for a big climbing bike racing season, it might actually look/feel better to lose fat percentage by dint of adding more muscle, or a combo of less fat and adding muscle. I am sure this is basic to a lot of people on here, but it wasn't something I thought about when I was just purely racing and trying to be slender.

Anyway, maybe that will be helpful for someone who is just looking at the number on the scale in despair and doesn't have a plan. As for me, I set a lower goal weight in our spreadsheet, but I don't plan on getting there just by calorie restriction/cardio. Having more muscle helps with fat loss and overall leanness. (Also, my number is probably healthier and safer to meet by summer than by P-R). But if I miss the number but wind up with extra muscle and am a little bit leaner than my 213lbs right now, that's fine. I'm 34, want to take as much muscle into my 40s as I can. Food for thought.

XXtwindad
01-09-2020, 09:17 AM
One experience I thought I'd share that perhaps will be insightful to a certain kind of person on here ... there can be a big difference between losing weight as a bigger category and developing a strong or fit physique. My body has changed an awful lot over my short years and has operated in many different configurations, and the way I trained and ate made a big difference in how I looked and felt.

Here are a few permutations I have had, and I'm 6'2" with a big frame, for reference:

>kinda chunky big guy, say 200lbs (or a good deal higher), pretty active outdoors, not much else to say (wish I wasn't in this mode right now, but honesty would say so).

>in athletic/bike racer mode, down around 180, kind of a rouleur with huge quads, still obviously a big dude.

>then I really tried to cut weight, restricting calories and riding a lot, got down in the 160s! I was bloody skinny. But importantly, apart from my legs, I didn't have all that much better muscle tone than when I weighed 180 or maybe even 200. I didn't have much muscle as I was doing nothing but 80 mile endurance rides or 30 mile rides with sprint efforts and was skrawny. Depending on the day or what I ate, I could still look kinda flabby or "skinny fat." (I was truly fast though, which was my only goal).

>then I gave up racing, got a little heavier, but was still riding, maybe equalized around 190... then started doing pushups, pull-ups and other upper and full body exercises. Got up to 200, then higher, and back around 200. I got on a structured full body exercise plan that included stuff like lifting heavier weights, kettlebells, explosive stuff, jumping rope, etc. The extra muscle felt really good, and I probably had a good deal more fat by volume than when I weighed in the 160s or 170s like before, but looked and felt much "better" (not that this is about looks) while weighing more but having more muscle, given that I had less fat relative to the muscle mass I had since I was eating more/better and focusing on building muscle.

Anyway, the basic point is weight loss is good if only losing fat and you have too much fat, but some times adding muscle is better, depending on your goals. If you're not trying to get light for a big climbing bike racing season, it might actually look/feel better to lose fat percentage by dint of adding more muscle, or a combo of less fat and adding muscle. I am sure this is basic to a lot of people on here, but it wasn't something I thought about when I was just purely racing and trying to be slender.

Anyway, maybe that will be helpful for someone who is just looking at the number on the scale in despair and doesn't have a plan. As for me, I set a lower goal weight in our spreadsheet, but I don't plan on getting there just by calorie restriction/cardio. Having more muscle helps with fat loss and overall leanness. (Also, my number is probably healthier and safer to meet by summer than by P-R). But if I miss the number but wind up with extra muscle and am a little bit leaner than my 213lbs right now, that's fine. I'm 34, want to take as much muscle into my 40s as I can. Food for thought.

Good post. Bottom line (especially for athletes): the scale will only tell you so much.

zambenini
01-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Good post. Bottom line (especially for athletes): the scale will only tell you so much.

Yes, that's a more succinct way of putting it. :) Now, the challenge is to just actually listen to what the scale and my eyes are telling me.

JasonF
01-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Totally agree, the scale just shows a number. My goal is to preserve (or increase) lean body mass. After all, I'd MUCH rather be 160lbs with 10% bodyfat than 150lbs with 20% bodyfat.

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 12:58 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/3lpat8.jpg

seanile
01-10-2020, 07:36 AM
^It’s the damn salami & cheese for me

Nooch
01-10-2020, 09:34 AM
^It’s the damn salami & cheese for me

mmmmm meats and cheeses. and crackers.

but in all seriousness, 9 days in (to the Whole30) and I'm fine to the point where I wonder why this is always an issue for me (falling off the wagon, that is). I could eat this way all year -- I'm satiated, I'm not snacking, I'm not eating late, I'm sleeping better, and when the chef put out plate of french fries and siracha mayo I looked and just kinda shrugged it off (and that would be my end of shift dream most nights..)

So much of me thinks it's eating tied to alcohol -- a beer on the couch, some cheese and crackers or chips (Food Should Taste Good sweet potato tortilla chips are addictive), watching some nonsense on TV.. As much as I enjoy beer, breweries, and that scene, eh, I suppose giving it up altogether is probably the best for me.

sagerobison
01-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Column AY - Sorry about that. I fixed the numbers but I forgot the name of the person that I overwrote and couldn't undo.

sagerobison
01-10-2020, 09:54 AM
not sure if this whole 16 off, 8 on thing will work, but i'm basically only eating lunch and dinner. I think one of the SNL guys made a joke out of millennials creating a diet based on skipping breakfast, but that seems to be essentially what this is. it is somewhat challenging not to between 8 pm and noon, but i'm giving it a shot.

the key is getting on the bike way more. never been a fad diet guy.

seanile
01-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Column AY - Sorry about that. I fixed the numbers but I forgot the name of the person that I overwrote and couldn't undo.

i went to the version history and restored them (Chris B, cmb5286).
i created a warn-before-editing dialog box for the top 11 rows.
this can be updated for the next rows by going to Data > Protected Sheets & Ranges > then changing "'Enter Weight'!1:11" to be "'Enter Weight'!1:XX"

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 03:41 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3lrtv1.jpg

Clean39T
01-10-2020, 03:42 PM
mmmmm meats and cheeses. and crackers.

but in all seriousness, 9 days in (to the Whole30) and I'm fine to the point where I wonder why this is always an issue for me (falling off the wagon, that is). I could eat this way all year -- I'm satiated, I'm not snacking, I'm not eating late, I'm sleeping better, and when the chef put out plate of french fries and siracha mayo I looked and just kinda shrugged it off (and that would be my end of shift dream most nights..)

So much of me thinks it's eating tied to alcohol -- a beer on the couch, some cheese and crackers or chips (Food Should Taste Good sweet potato tortilla chips are addictive), watching some nonsense on TV.. As much as I enjoy beer, breweries, and that scene, eh, I suppose giving it up altogether is probably the best for me.

Google "Annie Grace" ...

Kobe
01-13-2020, 06:52 AM
I hate weekends, I am almost back to where I started.

Hilltopperny
01-13-2020, 07:25 AM
I hate weekends, I am almost back to where I started.

Weekends are tough! I gained 1lb back and rode my bike for two hours each day. Got a nasty migraine yesterday after I was done from fasting and apparently pushing a bit too hard during the ride on empty. Going to keep at it this week though and hopefully see some more weight drop.

Allow yourself a day where you can have something as a reward and it may be easier to not cheat the rest of the week. That is the route I am going. Hopefully it works!

Octave
01-13-2020, 07:56 AM
Weekends are tough! I gained 1lb back and rode my bike for two hours each day. Got a nasty migraine yesterday after I was done from fasting and apparently pushing a bit too hard during the ride on empty. Going to keep at it this week though and hopefully see some more weight drop.Also keep in mind that when you're pushing yourself hard on rides you'll end up taking on more water weight as your body deals with inflammation.

I came back from a 750km bikepack across Corsica at Christmas that had me doing 3000-4000m of climbing per day on a loaded bike, heavy rain and wind every single day, never less than 9hr on the bike. Despite being underfed for almost the entire trip, due to scarcity of resources in the middle of the storm around the more desolate parts of the island, I actually weighed about 3kg more when I got back due to all the water I was carrying in my muscle tissue. Three days of rest later and I saw my true weight, 2kg below baseline (pre-trip). In other words, I was carrying nearly 5kg (11lb) of water weight. That's an additional 8% of my bodyweight :eek:

GScot
01-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Alright, I finally put batteries in the scale after eating more cookies this weekend. Added myself to the sheet on the far right. Not sure if the color blocks on the top 3 rows are there for a challenge wide reason or just personal tracking. Need to read back through the thread but anyway looks like I have nearly 20 pounds to lose. Good luck everyone.

tuxbailey
01-13-2020, 09:16 AM
I think the 16:8 intermittent fasting is starting to pay off. I started it before the holidays but didn't see much result until this week; most likely due to the high fat/calories food I was eating in that period; but I didn't gain weight either.

I check the scale this morning compared to last Monday and I am down almost 6 lbs. Maybe feeling a little hungry in the morning and drinking black coffee do help. Also no more food after 8:00 PM...

steveoz
01-13-2020, 09:20 PM
I started cutting the processed sugars and desserts while upping my protein intake. Also started a weight routine. I don't have a scale - kinda judging by my appearance in the mirror and the fit of the clothes. Gotta say - I look better and I got energy now! But the sugar withdrawls were brutal....:eek:

marciero
01-14-2020, 06:18 AM
Thanks all for sharing your successes, struggles, and insights. I find it motivational and encouraging. So far so good for me with no sugar, and no processed, no flour of any kind. I might relax the flour and allow a sandwich from time to time, but for me, bread-including pizza- and things like tortilla chips (we have some awesome ones made locally) are triggers. I eat them compulsively and to excess and then crave the pints of ice cream or gelato. Talenti containers have multiplied like tribbles around here. I have dozens and dozens. (They are great for storing bike parts, food, etc and I cant bring myself to throw them out/recycle).

There has been much discussion of diet here and elsewhere on PL, to say nothing of the rest of the Internet. I just watched "The Game Changers" and found it worth watching. It's recent and focuses on elite athletes. If you follow any of the plant-based vs meat debates you will recognize some of the characters; eg, Esselston, Ornish.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2020, 06:37 AM
Weekends are tough! I gained 1lb back and rode my bike for two hours each day. Got a nasty migraine yesterday after I was done from fasting and apparently pushing a bit too hard during the ride on empty. Going to keep at it this week though and hopefully see some more weight drop.

Allow yourself a day where you can have something as a reward and it may be easier to not cheat the rest of the week. That is the route I am going. Hopefully it works!

I get migraines also and 'gaining 1lb back'??...maybe not drinking enough water? Cuz you 'gained 1lb back'?? Not drinking water kinda triggers migraines in me, it seems..

Hilltopperny
01-14-2020, 06:39 AM
I get migraines also and 'gaining 1lb back'??...maybe not drinking enough water? Cuz you 'gained 1lb back'?? Not drinking water kinda triggers migraines in me, it seems..

I think you are right. I drank some coffee earlier and probably thought I was properly hydrated because it was cool out. I don’t typically get them and had to take some ibuprofen and a nap in a dark room before it finally subsided.

JAGI410
01-15-2020, 07:53 AM
Nice to see some progress on the ol' spreadsheet! Some of you are doing awesome!

Some of you are slacking (myself included). Time to update and stay motivated!

Work travel is tricky for me. I was in Arkansas last week and when I'd normally find the best dive restaurants, I stuck to chains for the most part. This breaks my "no chains" policy, but these chains also print their calories on the menu. I find that works to motivate me a bit. While I'm not currently counting calories (like I have successfully in the past). If I find multiple meals that sound appealing, I'll choose the lower calorie one. However the hotel breakfast was tasty and I ate normally. Probably could have made better progress if I behaved more.

Now that I'm back home I'm doing the 18:6 IF during the week and I find it works pretty well. The Zero phone app reminders help a lot to keep me on track.

Clean39T
01-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Trying to hit my goals in the midst of planning a move and in the depths of PNW winter weather is a tall order......but I'm doing okay. I'm down a sustainable 3-lbs over the past two weeks, with no crash-diet silliness. I'm just eating primarily plant-based (call it 95%), have cut out all fried crap, not drinking any booze, and working on maintaining my workout regime -- actually swapping in some running for cycling to mix it up a bit and be ready for living without my smart-trainer for a couple months while in a condo situation..

XXtwindad
01-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Trying to hit my goals in the midst of planning a move and in the depths of PNW winter weather is a tall order......but I'm doing okay. I'm down a sustainable 3-lbs over the past two weeks, with no crash-diet silliness. I'm just eating primarily plant-based (call it 95%), have cut out all fried crap, not drinking any booze, and working on maintaining my workout regime -- actually swapping in some running for cycling to mix it up a bit and be ready for living without my smart-trainer for a couple months while in a condo situation..

I'm very curious what your motivations were (are) for the plant-based diet? I'm less interested in the aesthetic benefits of a plant based diet (I move plenty, don't really have a sweet tooth and rarely drink) and more interested in the internal benefits of a PBD. Antioxidants, minerals, etc. Also, cutting back on meat consumption is great for the planet.

As a long-time carnivore, I would find the transition to an exclusive plant based diet to be very difficult.

AngryScientist
01-15-2020, 12:00 PM
not trying to lose weight per se, but wanted to chime in that i'm on day 3 of the gallon/day water routine.

i think i've been pretty deficient in that department for a long stretch.

i must say today, i feel really good. i'm going to try and keep it up for a few weeks and see if i note any other benefits.

gulp gulp

Clean39T
01-15-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm very curious what your motivations were (are) for the plant-based diet? I'm less interested in the aesthetic benefits of a plant based diet (I move plenty, don't really have a sweet tooth and rarely drink) and more interested in the internal benefits of a PBD. Antioxidants, minerals, etc. Also, cutting back on meat consumption is great for the planet.

As a long-time carnivore, I would find the transition to an exclusive plant based diet to be very difficult.

It's really simple. Since around 2005, I've gone in and out of eating a vegan/PBD - my health is best when I'm doing that (combined with not drinking booze) and worst when I'm not. And by health I mean body composition, digestion, energy levels, sleep, skin, and test results.

I would be 100% plant based and have no problem with it if it weren't for the fact that my wife believes she is allergic to soy, almonds and wheat.....we spend a lot of time together and eat most of our meals together, so that rules out a good number of PBD meal options for me.

Beans and rice are my life, plus veggies and fruits.....and cereal grains.

Also, it does take a bit of persistence as your gut biome gets used to processing a larger amount of plants - but after a week, you'll be fine. My recommendation is just to eat more plants (grains, fruits, veg) and over time that will crowd out the meat and dairy - unless you want to jump in the deep end, which is certainly an option too.

Ronsonic
01-19-2020, 09:22 PM
Been away from here for awhile.

Started the year at 205 and most recently weighed in at 202. Can't even say that's a fat loss yet, but both numbers were consistent over a few days.

Clean39T
01-19-2020, 09:35 PM
Been away from here for awhile.

Started the year at 205 and most recently weighed in at 202. Can't even say that's a fat loss yet, but both numbers were consistent over a few days.It's a start! I'm only down a few myself, but I'm happy with the habits I've put in place..

JAGI410
01-27-2020, 07:43 AM
Bumping this back up so ya'll stay on the wagon :)

AngryScientist
01-27-2020, 08:02 AM
reporting in with semi-OT report: still on the gallon/day program with water.

feeling great, more energy, less lethargic, and less hungry for snacks. i'm peeing less now too, seems like my body now is utilizing the water better.

tuxbailey
01-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Still doing intermittent fasting. A mix of 16:8 and 18:6. I managed to do a 24 hr fast last Friday and I was surprised that it wasn't too hard.

GScot
01-27-2020, 08:39 AM
Holding steady. Haven't managed to get a consistent riding plan going but doing better on diet.

unterhausen
01-27-2020, 02:02 PM
I am stuck at 201 and I even worked my butt off on the trainer last week.

XXtwindad
01-27-2020, 02:06 PM

1) what's your goal?

2) have you ever had a body fat comp?

3) do you know what you weighed at "peak fitness?"

4) how old are you?

I ask all these questions as a personal trainer. I have real interest in how people motivate themselves. There's been ample proof that "health" or "aesthetic" motivations are not sustainable long-term. But what DOES usually work is a social aspect, such as this thread.

MattTuck
01-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Google diy coolsculpting

I might have to resort to this myself. :) :banana:

Clean39T
01-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Packed my scale when moving and haven't found it yet. I did get in around 12,000 steps/day from Thurs-Sun and carried a metric crap ton of boxes and furniture moving out of a three-story townhome. Haven't had a home-cooked meal in a week, but I've mostly stayed on healthy habits - most importantly, no booze... Still have some moving and cleaning work to finish, and then I can get back to training. First gravel event is in early April and it's a doozy....better get my Ellis finished soon too :D

Hilltopperny
01-27-2020, 02:19 PM
I have been slowly losing weight after dropping quite a bit within the first two weeks. It’s full on winter here and ride time is limited, so not a lot of exercise, but keeping track of what I am putting in my body has me on the right path.

unterhausen
01-27-2020, 04:05 PM
1) what's your goal?
I would really like to get down under 170
2) have you ever had a body fat comp?
no
3) do you know what you weighed at "peak fitness?"
"peak fitness" as in ever? Probably 145. Last time I was in really good shape I was around 170, and that wasn't all that long ago. In the military, I had to weigh less than 165, so that was what I weighed.
4) how old are you?

I got down to 185 last year, or maybe closer to 180. Then I screwed up my knee and didn't ride much in the fall. I think sometime in November I still weighed less than 195

As far as aesthetics go, that ship has sailed. I'm mostly interested in getting my power/weight up and keeping my blood pressure low. My BP seems to be very strongly influenced by weight

JasonF
02-01-2020, 05:33 PM
Ok, one month in and the results are "decent." The number I'm more focused on is Lean Body Mass (LBM). As long as my weight is trending lower and LBM is staying the same (or even increasing a bit) I'm losing fat and sparing muscle. For February I need to log more food more consistently.

Workouts will consist of strength training 3x/week: compound moves only (deadlift, squat, bench, military press, rows, chins, dips). Cardio is HIIT on my Concept2 BikeErg.

Keep going guys!!!

5oakterrace
02-01-2020, 06:17 PM
After a week or two I lose maybe 2-3 pounds. 10 hours a week on rollers. No booze. Plant based. No dairy. No cookies, cakes.
Then flu. Never been so sick in my adult life. No exercise for two weeks. Zilch. Sitting/lying around. Tv. Did not even leave apartment. Too messed up even to read. Pizza for the first time in 2 years. Whip cream cake for the first time in eons (I fell apart...nutrition wise.) Hop on scale - I lost 4 pounds. What? I anticipated weight gain. I figure my body dumped a lot of water when I was ill since I was not sweating. But ... I am maintaining the loss even as I get back into training. Completely confusing.

shinomaster
02-02-2020, 12:15 PM
I started out the year at a flabby 166, but now I seem to be 161... so Dry January and a few bike rides plus moderate meals seems to have been effective. I hope I can keep up this progress.

Nooch
02-07-2020, 07:51 AM
at this point I'm on a whole37, as I haven't begun re-introducing foods. -21ish pounds since January 2nd. Lifting three days a week, trying to ride as much as I can squeeze in, which isn't much. No alcohol. no added sugars. no grains. I'm happy so far.

XXtwindad
02-07-2020, 08:01 AM
After a week or two I lose maybe 2-3 pounds. 10 hours a week on rollers. No booze. Plant based. No dairy. No cookies, cakes.
Then flu. Never been so sick in my adult life. No exercise for two weeks. Zilch. Sitting/lying around. Tv. Did not even leave apartment. Too messed up even to read. Pizza for the first time in 2 years. Whip cream cake for the first time in eons (I fell apart...nutrition wise.) Hop on scale - I lost 4 pounds. What? I anticipated weight gain. I figure my body dumped a lot of water when I was ill since I was not sweating. But ... I am maintaining the loss even as I get back into training. Completely confusing.

This is a common misconception, and why the scale is not the ultimate barometer of fitness. More than likely, you lost muscle mass, which is "denser" than fat, and will add lbs to the scale. Your body fat comp likely stayed the same, or, possibly, you gained fat.

madsciencenow
03-02-2020, 09:26 AM
Updated my results this AM. I'm down about 6 lbs and have about 9 to go. Pretty happy with the progress as the changes I've made seem mostly sustainable.

How's everyone else doing? I'm not noticing much posting but perhaps people are off and running and don't feel the need to chart progress?

tuxbailey
03-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Updated my results this AM. I'm down about 6 lbs and have about 9 to go. Pretty happy with the progress as the changes I've made seem mostly sustainable.

How's everyone else doing? I'm not noticing much posting but perhaps people are off and running and don't feel the need to chart progress?

I am down ~27 lbs from New Year. Very happy so far. If I lose another 20 some lbs I will get myself a new set of wheels :)

gt88
03-02-2020, 10:03 AM
I am down ~27 lbs from New Year. Very happy so far. If I lose another 20 some lbs I will get myself a new set of wheels :)

Nice work!

I'm down about 20 and can't believe how well my clothes fit. It's like a shopping spree in my closet rediscovering shirts I thought I were cut too slim.

seanile
03-02-2020, 10:21 AM
i've plateaued a bit. i believe due to lack of physical activity, which'll uptick as it gets warmer. dietary changes have been good, limiting beer quite a lot and not missing it. next step is to work toward a 75/25 vegetarian/meat split for meals in the week.

tuxbailey
03-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Nice work!

I'm down about 20 and can't believe how well my clothes fit. It's like a shopping spree in my closet rediscovering shirts I thought I were cut too slim.

Yeah. I am able to fit in older pants with room to spare. I refused to donate those hoping that one day I can wear them again. Pretty happy about the progress so far.

Clean39T
03-02-2020, 12:48 PM
I've had my scale packed away, so don't know the numbers, but things are moving in the right direction. I just picked up "How not to Die(t)" and plan to incorporate much of that into my day-to-day choices. I'm already 95+% vegan at this point, not drinking, and getting better on the avoiding sugar thing - but I need to get on a more regular eating schedule, move more throughout the day, and get better sleep. Given the whole COVID thing though, my main goal is to boost my immune system vs. caring about the weight coming off - good news is that eating well takes care of both of those.. And cooking more at home helps both too.

Rusa
03-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Started at 215 lbs on January 1, down to 198 lbs on March 1st at 53 years old and 6 feet tall. Hopefully will get to 170 lbs or under by end of June.

Strategy: monitoring calories 1800 per day using MyNetDiary, riding 2-3 times a week hard(2-3 hours/per ride) and doing kettlebells/rope jumping (1 hour per session) 2-3 times a week.

Had only one day off a week and could not recover enough, just recently added another day off a week. Weather permitting I will drop one day of weight/rope jumping and add a day of cycling(climbing or TT).

On one hand I want to loose weight fast, but I also do not want to loose muscle, so far I feel fantastic:banana: and climb much faster than last season. Planning to loose 10 lbs a month.

I do not use low carb diet - feel awful cycling with no carbs.

Any suggestions/advise from people that did something similar are appreciated.

robt57
03-02-2020, 03:09 PM

Park in the spots the furthest from the door everywhere and every time [less dented car also results].

Fish and Fruit are free I say. Nuts off the table until you hit a target weight. Snacks=celery, carrots, like that. Fats of any kind in strict moderation.

On days you won't ride, go out for 15 minutes twice, first and last thing, else go walk frequently on off bike days. Go up your street for 10-15 minutes. Once a day calories burned x 365, twice double that. Burn any amount of calories often often often, even if small amounts. Obviously you can forgo the walks on 2-3k calorie days on the bike. Woods walks even better if near any.

I did greens, fish, fruit, and assorted veggies only for 90 days, oatmeal B-fast., with zero wheat flour, bread pasta, cheese etc. Lost 30 lbs in 90 days. [11-2018 thru 2-2019] This was in winter too. Then bike season/weather opened up where I could get more than the 300 [at best] mo. winter miles and another 10 lb came off by 120-30 days. but I lost more inches as I toned up with 4x the winter miles, yada.

So as I sit here and type this I am 40 lb below 10/18.

I actually got in the Strong Jersey I got with my first Strong frame in 2000. Stole it back from my wife...

I lowered my PSI, my BP, lowered my bars, and was on the big ring all of 2019 with few exceptions.

I see no reason why this would not work for anyone else.

Still old and slow unfortunately.

You can do it, I assure you. Easy? Like climbing steeps. ;)

That pic of heavy me was 8/2018, Stared reversal process end of Nov. when I hit 236 lb 7 oz.

OH, NO SECONDS at the meals!!!!!

madsciencenow
03-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Damn, you guys are killing it! Nice work.

I’ve been doing the calorie count and intermittent fasting thing. Eating from 12 PM to 8PM and riding and being active as I normally would. I’ve got tons more ability to focus at work and the afternoon crash is less off an issue. I think I’m sleeping better too.

marciero
03-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Good to hear the progress from everyone. Good on my end so far with no sugar or processed food. Gluten and dairy free. Occasional meat-about once per week-and never other than local, grass fed, organic. Down about 12 lbs.

ultraman6970
03-02-2020, 04:18 PM
Darn... and i got even fatter lately, envy u guys!

marciero
03-02-2020, 04:42 PM
One other thing for me has been a commitment to raw plant based. We go through a ton of local organic arugula, carrots, cabbage, etc. and fermented stuff around here- even when we were otherwise eating poorly. Gf and i love it. We’re about 80-90% raw. Similarly, at work where i typically eat lunch have a most awesome dining hall with amazing salad bar. One way to increase your intake of these kinds of food if you have a desire to do so is to eat them first at every meal.

robt57
03-02-2020, 04:54 PM
If you like riding and especially upgrade, loose it before you start putting muscle on top of that weight. Last 4-5 seasons before the loss, I'd say I'll drop once I start doing 300 wk. But the extra weight just makes you build more muscle mass to carry it. That method did not get me under 220 for a few seasons.

The pay off how you will be/feel on the bike is Huge, getter dun y'all...

steveoz
03-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Can't really comment on weight loss since I've been weight training at the same time, buuuut went from a 44 waist to a 38.... it's nice that my belly-button isn't pushing out my shirts anymore!

steveoz
03-02-2020, 06:47 PM

Don't remember where I read it but the jist was the cortisol produced from the stress of "pushing it" actually cause fat to accumulate - a small bump in carbs to help ease the mental part actually helped fat loss.

tuxbailey
03-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Damn, you guys are killing it! Nice work.

I’ve been doing the calorie count and intermittent fasting thing. Eating from 12 PM to 8PM and riding and being active as I normally would. I’ve got tons more ability to focus at work and the afternoon crash is less off an issue. I think I’m sleeping better too.

Don't forget you poop less also (or maybe that is just me?)

weisan
03-04-2020, 12:24 PM
I just weighed myself, I think I hit a new watermark...at 170. Wahoooo...

At the time of the signup a few weeks ago, I was at 162.

Doesn't seem to affect the climbing much...the power numbers are up.

No wait! Am I on the "wrong" group???

:p

robt57
03-04-2020, 12:56 PM
IMO. your daily weight is much like your 401k. The longer view is a much healthier one to track.

I did a broth fast for a few extra days prior to a anal probe flush [i call them that, TMI prob] I loved see the 9 lb less that avg for a day or two, but eating and drinking other that broth water brought back to that longer view. ;)

Not saying the gratifying feeling seeing 191 gave me suked. Especially after a just at 40lb [rounded up] loss from 236.5 since 10/2018, an even better palmares I suppose. ;)

robt57
03-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Let me toss this in here. For you folk crossing 60 and getting serious about loosing weight.

What my cardio guy [all is very well] said I found interesting.

He knows I lost the 40lbs obviously, but last visit I asked advise for my next kick to 180lb, and told him I think I could get there.

His response was that he does not want me to. He said my age [62] I am already loosing muscle mass and bone mass normally, even if I am abating it cycling as compared to sedimentary folk.
He also told me I can't net any real benefit over training going forward. Or trying hard to get faster [read: stop getting slower].

He indicated if I loose 15 more now, in 10 years I won't be better for it. And in fact may have trouble 'not' loosing weight later as age does what age does. I still wanna loose 10 anyway, but won't try as hard as I might have to the 15. ;)

So new target is 190-195, a good weight for a guy my age/size going forward. 5-7 less that now with the bounces, keep those small BTW best you can.

My saving grace apparently is I never ever put any hot air from burning anything in my lungs, maybe a few times as a teen.. ;)

tuxbailey
03-18-2020, 09:46 AM
On a positive note, I reach my short term goal today, which is under 185 lbs. So far it is -28 lbs from New year. Most importantly I tested my blood sugar and it is 89 this morning. I have been at 110+ for many years and my doctor always warned that I am borderline pre-diabetic given my family history.

Rusa
03-18-2020, 10:03 AM
On a positive note, I reach my short term goal today, which is under 185 lbs. So far it is -28 lbs from New year. Most importantly I tested my blood sugar and it is 89 this morning. I have been at 110+ for many years and my doctor always warned that I am borderline pre-diabetic given my family history.

Good job. Congratulation!

I am not sure that there are that many people left that is is still on the loosing weight monitoring program according to the Google Sheet.

seanile
03-18-2020, 10:26 AM

I am not sure that there are that many people left that is is still on the loosing weight monitoring program according to the Google Sheet.

i was on vacation w/o a scale, and i made it a point to not drink as aggressively as i would usually on vacation, came back with only +2lbs which i knocked off within a couple of days again. woot! back on the path. the immobility of this work-from-home stuff is gonna be a challenge. my girlfriend and i will be making it a point to do some bodyweight exercises

marciero
03-24-2020, 04:22 AM

I'm still here. One thing that I have been anxious about in this crisis is the ability to obtain quality fresh food. We eat a ton of raw food. Thankfully, we dont seem to be facing disruptions in the supply. Our small local foods market does phone-in orders for curbside/parking lot pickup, which has worked great so far. For non-perishables Ive bought dried beans, grains, canned tomatoes, veg broth to make soup and sauces. I refuse to stock up on canned and frozen vegetables. Not yet. For one thing, I'd have to go to the supermarket and face exposure for that. If and when fresh food becomes scarcer I can see trending more toward dried than canned and frozen.

weisan
04-05-2020, 06:00 AM

Quick update:
Currently at 158 and dropping...
Back to normal program - no snacking, one big meal a day, adjust daily intake according to daily output

Hilltopperny
04-05-2020, 07:27 AM
I dropped around 18lbs since the beginning of this challenge. I have probably gained a few back this week as I was stress eating after finding out about my daughters exposure of Covid 19, but I did my longest ride of the season yesterday and I felt pretty strong for it being early April in CNY.

steveoz
04-05-2020, 08:31 AM
Well I haven't weighed myself but I'm down from a 42 waist to a 38...and my chest finally sticks out further than my bellybutton

nobuseri
04-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Lots of good numbers reported here. I haven’t dropped much since the start, but I am going in the right direction. It will start to drop a lot faster as the rides get longer.

madsciencenow
04-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Think I’m down 8-10 lbs depending on bowel movements and such. I’d like to knock off 5-7 more.

tuxbailey
04-05-2020, 01:18 PM
I am finally below 180. And I haven't seen the 170s since 1995.

steveoz
04-11-2020, 06:07 PM
Figure I might as well up this thread with an update since a lot of people are quarantining and packing it on like there getting ready for winter hibernation... I started last week of December by going cold-turkey on all the sweets and processed carbs while upping my protein intake. Lost a bit (unknown amount but clothes were fitting better) and weighed myself on mom's lying-ass scale in late Jan- it said 290. A few weeks later at the end of Feb I got on that lying-ass scale again and it read 283. I've been back on the bike after a looong hiatus and been using my home weight equipment the entire time so physically I was looking better. The other day was discussing weight and workouts with a co-worker - he claimed a weight of 230/40 -I asked if he was full of helium or bullsh** cause he's taller and bigger around than me! I thought there's no way I'm 50 lbs heavier!! Got on the scale again and it read 260...(maybe now it's telling the truth..) That's 30 lb's - still 260 is a lot but at least it's heading the right direction. Gotta say that it was the hardest thing I've gone through yet - there were some "extremely" rough patches....

tuxbailey
04-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Figure I might as well up this thread with an update since a lot of people are quarantining and packing it on like there getting ready for winter hibernation... I started last week of December by going cold-turkey on all the sweets and processed carbs while upping my protein intake. Lost a bit (unknown amount but clothes were fitting better) and weighed myself on mom's lying-ass scale in late Jan- it said 290. A few weeks later at the end of Feb I got on that lying-ass scale again and it read 283. I've been back on the bike after a looong hiatus and been using my home weight equipment the entire time so physically I was looking better. The other day was discussing weight and workouts with a co-worker - he claimed a weight of 230/40 -I asked if he was full of helium or bullsh** cause he's taller and bigger around than me! I thought there's no way I'm 50 lbs heavier!! Got on the scale again and it read 260...(maybe now it's telling the truth..) That's 30 lb's - still 260 is a lot but at least it's heading the right direction. Gotta say that it was the hardest thing I've gone through yet - there were some "extremely" rough patches....

Great job! Keep it up.

weisan
04-16-2020, 08:47 PM
Quick update:
Currently at 158 and dropping...
Back to normal program - no snacking, one big meal a day, adjust daily intake according to daily output

I got to 155 a few days ago and looks like it's stabilizing and with that, I am closing my books on this. At 5'9", I think 155 is a good weight especially if it's relatively easy to maintain. I have gotten as low as 148 at one point and I don't like the feeling of it. This is good.

Anything below 150, I will start to look like this chap.

https://bibobikecoaching.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/the-chicken.jpg

vqdriver
05-03-2020, 03:38 PM
first off, ^ that pic is whack

i just dipped below 200 this morning!!

weighed myself this AM and saw a welcome 199.4. first time below 2 bills this century, and i'm really encouraged. doing it mostly with diet as my activity level hasn't improved much.

Dunk
05-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Well, expletive. I should do this. I need a week to actually accept that I should do this. After several years of adventuring, I took this past winter as a rest season, and baked a lot of cookies and had some great wine. So, I’ll be back when I get my head around this.

seanile
05-04-2020, 07:48 AM
i've lost all of my progress in this ****ing pandemic. i blame sourdough and extremely sedentary dys

marciero
05-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Am pretty happy with how its gone for me. If anything the pandemic has made us more consistent with food choices and control over diet, with the complete elimination of convenience stores and prepared food. I've lost about 25lbs and seem to have settled out at what feels like "natural" weight since all I've done, aside from prepare all my own food (which is huge) is eliminate junk food-processed, refined sugar, etc, which I tended to eat in large quantities, often later at night.

joosttx
05-04-2020, 08:37 AM
first off, ^ that pic is whack

i just dipped below 200 this morning!!

weighed myself this AM and saw a welcome 199.4. first time below 2 bills this century, and i'm really encouraged. doing it mostly with diet as my activity level hasn't improved much.

Great Job!!!!!

AngryScientist
05-04-2020, 08:42 AM
i've lost all of my progress in this ****ing pandemic. i blame sourdough and extremely sedentary dys

i'm really surprised to hear just how many people say they are gaining weight with the SIP restrictions in place.

i'm not actively trying to lose weight, but it's WAY easier for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle being home all the time.

working in NYC and on the road in various fun places i'm much more likely to eat poorly, drink too much and stop for snacks often.

home is so much easier, especially if you are planning every meal through tactical delivery drop-offs.

at least here, we are trying new healthy things, eating less meat, much less processed foods, and lots more home made goodies, which can be made with lots less sugar, etc.

that's my perspective anyway.

dbh
05-04-2020, 08:58 AM
but it's WAY easier for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle being home all the time.

Same here. I find myself eating much more healthily during the SIP. Granted, getting fresh fruits and veggies is a bit trickier than just hopping down to the super market when the vegetable crisper is getting low. Since I'm not rushing to get into the office or slogging my way home in the evening, it's been way easier to prepare slow, good food. Also, not being in an office cuts out a lot of crap office food that I'm constantly surrounded with.

Also, I've been riding a lot more during this whole thing. Since I don't have to commute into an office, I can knock out an hour and a half training ride most mornings. Just requires self-discipline to get up early enough so that it doesn't impact the work at home/home schooling regimen.

I've also found that being on a keto diet is really helpful in cancelling out the temptation of lots of fresh home baked goods in the kitchen. I've been baking cookies for the kids, and my wife has taken up bread baking, but being on keto means not touching the stuff.

fmradio516
05-04-2020, 09:47 AM
i'm really surprised to hear just how many people say they are gaining weight with the SIP restrictions in place.

i'm not actively trying to lose weight, but it's WAY easier for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle being home all the time.

working in NYC and on the road in various fun places i'm much more likely to eat poorly, drink too much and stop for snacks often.

home is so much easier, especially if you are planning every meal through tactical delivery drop-offs.

at least here, we are trying new healthy things, eating less meat, much less processed foods, and lots more home made goodies, which can be made with lots less sugar, etc.

Same here, I just stepped on the scale for the first time in months expecting to see something between 210 and 230(the numbers ive been between for the past couple years), and im at 203!!! what the heck!

seanile
05-04-2020, 09:52 AM

i am a money-conscious person so i don't eat out/go out for drinks. my "diet" is intermittent fasting which is enabled by being at an office where i don't keep food. now that i'm home, i graze thru my pantry far more often than i ever have.
my means for exercise was primarily rock climbing leading up to this since i've been burnt out on riding for the past year. with gyms closed i'm easing back into riding, but i'm not entirely enthusiastic about it.
also, not going to the store often so i can limit possible instances of exposure means i'm using my chest freezer, which doesn't play well with leafy greens and veggies, so bread and meat are my staples.
i've also been drafted to a daily 8am meeting, when my previous work hours were 930-630, now it seems like i'm sitting at my computer 8-630. so i can't do mornings reasonably without interfering with that meeting.

jlwdm
05-04-2020, 02:20 PM
I am finding it much easier to lose weight staying home all day. I normally work from home but as a Realtor I am out and about a lot and get tempted by bad food.

Amazon Fresh is working really well for me. I have ordered 4 times and had same day delivery once and next day the other three times. I have been ordering lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries along with a little cheese and bread. I am eating oatmeal and berries fairly often for breakfast.

I have been riding my indoor trainer for the last four weeks for 1.5 to 2.5 hrs per day.

I started trying to lose weight on March 15th at 238 lbs and am now at 214.7 lbs. 0.7 lbs more and I will be at my half way point as my goal is 190 lbs - 48 lbs lost. At 6' 2" tall I will evaluate where I am at that point.

I have sheltered at home for just over 7 weeks and will continue to do so through May at a minimum. I have shown a few houses, but my partner has been doing more of the showings.

Jeff

Clean39T
05-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Hilltopperny
05-04-2020, 04:19 PM
I am down below 220lbs for the first time in a while. Looking to get down to around 200lbs by the Summer and on track to do so. I have always prepared dinner at home when possible, but while out working lunch was always from a local restaurant and I was more apt to stop for a bagel and a latte on my way into work whereas now everything is basically prepared at home. I have only been riding 50-75 miles a week max, but putting in a decent effort while out. I feel stronger and healthier than the past couple of years.

superbowlpats
05-04-2020, 04:20 PM
working from home 3 days a week has allowed me time to ride a lot more. its also allowed me more time to walk past the fridge and grab something. so right now its a draw.:butt:

RWL2222
05-04-2020, 04:31 PM
This is perfect and just what I need. Thanks.

fmradio516
06-21-2020, 02:24 PM
Well im glad i put my one data point at the start of this. I have lost a bunch of weight inexplicably, so much that i made an appointment with a doctor to get checked out. Im bad about weighing myself, so i wasnt sure exactly how much i lost, but now I know I have gone from 219 -> 196.

Thanks OP!

steveoz
06-21-2020, 03:41 PM

As a follow up - went to the Dr (long story but OK) and the scale said 247, that's over 40 lbs! Just did my longest ride in 5 yrs, - 32 miles (not a lot for most of you but quite the jaunt for me!)

tctyres
06-22-2020, 08:08 AM
As a follow up - went to the Dr (long story but OK) and the scale said 247, that's over 40 lbs! Just did my longest ride in 5 yrs, - 32 miles (not a lot for most of you but quite the jaunt for me!)

Nice work! Keep going.

I'm down about 6 lbs and have another 14 to go.

jasonification
06-22-2020, 09:36 PM
Since getting married in March, I've dropped around 30lbs. Being held accountable regarding exercise and diet has definitely been a game changer to me, particularly when the "accountant" lives under the same roof

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

tuxbailey
06-22-2020, 10:21 PM
I had my annual physical today. My PCP was happy to see my weight loss. Last year this time I was 30 lbs heavier.

All my numbers are good but he is not positive about approach (intermittent fasting.) He thinks it is good to used that as a tool to get the initial weight loss but he thinks a balance 3 meals a day is better for my health,

I am hesitant to go back to my old way as I am very comfortable with the "lifestyle" choice of skipping one meal in the morning. May be when I lose anther 10-15 lbs and go to maintenance mode I will consider going back to the old ways.

Waldo62
06-23-2020, 12:43 PM
I dropped 20 lbs to current 162.5 since January by doing lots of fasted riding before dawn. SIP has eliminated my commute and having to take the kindergartener to school, giving me additional 90 minutes in the mornings. I've averaged 200 miles a week for the past two months and am in my best riding shape since 2012. At 6'1" I am not looking to lose more weight, but I am riding from SF to LA in four days next week, which may result in further weight loss.

joosttx
06-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Awesome keep it up. We are cheering for ya.

Dave
06-23-2020, 04:03 PM
135 this morning. About 1 more pound to get back to my weight of 10-20 years ago. In July, I'll have been riding for 2 years after my 8 year hiatus. I've got over 7500 miles on my new knees.

fmradio516
06-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Well im glad i put my one data point at the start of this. I have lost a bunch of weight inexplicably, so much that i made an appointment with a doctor to get checked out. Im bad about weighing myself, so i wasnt sure exactly how much i lost, but now I know I have gone from 219 -> 196.

Thanks OP!

Hit 194 today! Insane!! 220lb in January.

Went to the doctor today to get checked out. They said to call when I arrive and someone will come out to get me. So I did that and they said someone is coming now.

Well I turned off the car and got out thinking someone will be there any second to get me(very small building). 15 minutes go by, and finally someone comes out. Im sweating like a pig. They take my temp and its 101F. They werent gonna let me in but I told them, ive been standing in the sun on this 95F day for 15 minutes!

So they let me in the lobby of the building. to cool off and I eventually registered 97.xF

Not sure if it was the heat or those stupid forehead thermometers. 1.5 years ago, we bought the highest rated one on amazon and that thing gave HUGE temp swings. Youd take your temperature one second and it would say 102F then a few minutes later, you try again and it says 98F. Eventually got another one(different brand) but I still dont trust those things :mad:

pinoymamba
06-23-2020, 06:55 PM
This is inspiring me to get into riding shape again. Thank you paceliners!

d_douglas
06-23-2020, 07:42 PM
Its interesting to see photos of people, though incredibly unscientific for me to compare myself against you.

I look approximately like you do in your before photo (I think) and am visualizing what I would look like once I lose 30lbs (in your Strong jersey photo).

Your solution is dead simple and very difficult. I suffer from having a carboholic family (kids AND my wife) and while I resist sometimes, I dont every time. Sugar is my downfall.

Time to get off my ass and start losing weight and look as spectacular as you do ;).

Park in the spots the furthest from the door everywhere and every time [less dented car also results].

Fish and Fruit are free I say. Nuts off the table until you hit a target weight. Snacks=celery, carrots, like that. Fats of any kind in strict moderation.

On days you won't ride, go out for 15 minutes twice, first and last thing, else go walk frequently on off bike days. Go up your street for 10-15 minutes. Once a day calories burned x 365, twice double that. Burn any amount of calories often often often, even if small amounts. Obviously you can forgo the walks on 2-3k calorie days on the bike. Woods walks even better if near any.

I did greens, fish, fruit, and assorted veggies only for 90 days, oatmeal B-fast., with zero wheat flour, bread pasta, cheese etc. Lost 30 lbs in 90 days. [11-2018 thru 2-2019] This was in winter too. Then bike season/weather opened up where I could get more than the 300 [at best] mo. winter miles and another 10 lb came off by 120-30 days. but I lost more inches as I toned up with 4x the winter miles, yada.

So as I sit here and type this I am 40 lb below 10/18.

I actually got in the Strong Jersey I got with my first Strong frame in 2000. Stole it back from my wife...

I lowered my PSI, my BP, lowered my bars, and was on the big ring all of 2019 with few exceptions.

I see no reason why this would not work for anyone else.

Still old and slow unfortunately.

You can do it, I assure you. Easy? Like climbing steeps. ;)

That pic of heavy me was 8/2018, Stared reversal process end of Nov. when I hit 236 lb 7 oz.

OH, NO SECONDS at the meals!!!!!

Nooch
07-27-2020, 10:43 AM
Well...

I started off the year with a ton of promise (and progress).

And even kept it going through the first month and a half of quarantine.

But now four months into it, using alcohol to cope with the lack of social life, depression, tons of outside things going on, I'm officially back up 26lbs from my YTD low.

So, time to get back on the wagon.

paredown
07-27-2020, 01:15 PM
I've dropped about 9 pounds since February--not so much diet control, but a lot of wood chopping, construction and some riding. Saturday's ride was probably the best I have felt on a bike for a couple of years--a little lighter and a few more rides. I've been doing the coffee and morning ride without eating--and also pretty scrupulously not eating after 8:00 pm.

I'm on a tear to finish some big projects this year, so I'm hoping to be down 15 by October...

tuxbailey
07-27-2020, 01:30 PM
Well...

I started off the year with a ton of promise (and progress).

And even kept it going through the first month and a half of quarantine.

But now four months into it, using alcohol to cope with the lack of social life, depression, tons of outside things going on, I'm officially back up 26lbs from my YTD low.

So, time to get back on the wagon.

Keep at it. Still plenty of time.

clyde the point
07-27-2020, 06:47 PM
I am 240 looking at 220 with lustful eyes. Have lost some, engaged in a different nutrition deal, going slowly.

vqdriver
09-28-2020, 09:43 PM
let's keep at it guys. gotta lose a couple more El Bees heading into the holidays...

vqdriver
10-04-2020, 03:32 PM
updated the spreadsheet with dates to the end of the year. just added weekly so i think if we track once any time that week we can track it that way.
last quarter of the year. let's finish this whacko 2020 with some good news

vqdriver
12-07-2020, 01:54 PM
let's close out the year. i'm rebounding a little but hope to finish strong.

tuxbailey
12-07-2020, 02:12 PM
let's close out the year. I'm rebounding a little but hope to finish strong.

+1

steveoz
12-07-2020, 07:49 PM

So one more update - the scale was at 232, varies by a lb or two - seems to be a plateau - but always under 235, so that's darn near 60 lbs since I started at 290 last year!

XXtwindad
12-08-2020, 11:56 AM
So one more update - the scale was at 232, varies by a lb or two - seems to be a plateau - but always under 235, so that's darn near 60 lbs since I started at 290 last year!

Congrats! As a personal trainer, I know that sustained fat loss is incredibly difficult to achieve. How did you accomplish this?

d_douglas
12-08-2020, 11:59 AM
I never joined this thread until now :), but all I can say is that COVID-19 has pushed my wife to be an expert sourdough bread baker. These things would sell for $10 at a fancy bakery.

Enough said. 10lbs worth of bread on me in the past 8 months.

Clean39T
12-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Bring on the 2021 thread. I stayed roughly even for 2020, and I'll count that as a win given the dumpster fire this year has been on all fronts.

tuxbailey
12-08-2020, 03:52 PM
yes, lets continue to 2021. I was fortunate to lose a bit this year but I want to get to the ultimate target. I want to lose another 20 lbs before my 50th.

ridethecliche
12-10-2020, 10:35 AM
I'm down from about 185 to 160 after starting to ride again this year.

Marvinlungwitz
12-11-2020, 05:59 AM

Tickdoc
12-11-2020, 06:06 AM
After not riding for the longest stretch since I started riding again 15 yrs ago.....(haven't sat on a saddle since sept) I weighed myself yesterday.

Ugh. Heaviest I've ever been. I've never been over 200lbs before and I'm flirting with it.

Normal for me to gain 10-15 through the winter but not before the end of the year!

I hope my motivation to ride returns soon.

madsciencenow
12-11-2020, 06:29 AM
I lost 10-15 lbs but have gained a few back so largely a success. I do want to keep going in 2021 as I’d like to shed 7-10 lbs more.

Hilltopperny
12-11-2020, 06:40 AM
After not riding for the longest stretch since I started riding again 15 yrs ago.....(haven't sat on a saddle since sept) I weighed myself yesterday.

Ugh. Heaviest I've ever been. I've never been over 200lbs before and I'm flirting with it.

Normal for me to gain 10-15 through the winter but not before the end of the year!

I hope my motivation to ride returns soon.

I hear ya! Except I have been riding, but my weight is definitely at the top end of my weight Spectrum. I am a stout 5’8 and 235lbs at the moment.

I had dropped over 25lbs last year by tracking my weight, not eating as much and riding my bike. Definitely was watching what I was eating and how much whereas now it’s like whatever! My body tends to gain in late October in preparation for the winter, but I used to only hit 215-220.

I still get out and ride, but with a baby, toddler and my oldest turning 16 this past Monday, I am finding my time is much more limited to get out and ride. It is strap the lights on and go ride in the cold and dark on the weekdays if I am lucky!

Nooch
12-11-2020, 07:57 AM
I got down real low real quick and maintained it thru the first few months of covid. Then fell into a bit of a depression and gained it all plus about 15 back in the course of six months. Trying to just get back to where I started in January and will call it a win...

nobuseri
12-11-2020, 08:02 AM
Dropped a bit earlier in the quarter. Took some time off the bike, so I was able to keep the weight off, but I still have a ways to go to reach my target. I am expecting as the cycling (and now erg rowing) will accommodate the better eating habits I have been able to hold for the most part.

Holiday season isn’t over, but trying to keep the holiday sweets consumption to a minimum.

Wishing success for everyone. It’s hard work during this time of the year.

pdonk
12-11-2020, 08:06 AM
I lost close to 15 pounds through the summer and was down to about 190, a weight I had not seen in 15 years, then the baby came, and then fall and now I am up to 215 or so due to stress eating (mostly pop) and not getting out for rides.

Need to get a power meter so I can ride focused inside.

steveoz
01-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Well, it's 2021...and after 1 yr I went from a recorded high of 293 down to ....(drumroll please) 224! Never thought I'd get down close to 225 ever again...can't believe people call me "skinny"...now what...maybe the ladies will look at me again - and not with a look of disgust...:eek:

tctyres
01-02-2021, 11:50 AM
...maybe the ladies will look at me again - and not with a look of disgust...:eek:

Really nice work.

Beauty is skin deep. Being confident and comfortable with yourself is miles more attractive than any particular shape.

Now that we're in 2021. I started off on 1/1/2020 at 207.4 (yeah, I record that last digit). My max weight was 210.8 on 1/5 and then again on 4/1. 4/1 marks two weeks of living in my sister's basement having escaped NYC because of the pandemic.

My lowest weight was 190.6 on 10/6, which I think is a result of my girlfriend dumping me. I wasn't really eating that week.

The weight came back up in December because I loosened my exercise regimen to get rid of some repetitive strain injuries.

What I've observed: eating healthy matters. Processed foods, dairy in particular, are calorie rich.