PDA

View Full Version : Tacx Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr

oldfatslow
01-01-2020, 09:42 AM
I've ridden rollers for ever but have decided to join the rest of you in 2020 and get a current tech power trainer.

Who prefers which (personal experience preferred)?

cash05458
01-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Kickr has been great...still using the first gen from 2014 or whenever it was ...thing runs perfectly and has taken a lot since then...

gavingould
01-01-2020, 10:29 AM
have no experience with the Tacx, but my first gen Kickr that I picked up used 4 or 5 years ago is still going along fine.

thegunner
01-01-2020, 10:44 AM
tacx, no question. no calibration required, they just work.

wallymann
01-01-2020, 11:33 AM
i just made this decision, went with the 2T. well...actually went with the 2, but was accidentally sent the 2T...huzzah!

why i preferred the 2/2T.
- automatic self calibration.
- built in cadence sensor.
- ability to do detailed L/R pedalstroke analysis.
- super quiet.
- heavier flywheel.
- optionally self powered.
- compact-ish folding design.

downside is that the cassette is not included and you need to buy a separate FH body if you want to run campy. i'm still waiting on my cassette to arrive, so just doing some prelim setup and testing until then using zwift.

i had a proto-smart Tacx T1640 (http://www.timslife.com/brancat/trainer/train3.php#item2) trainer from the early '00s that made that brand familiar to me, as well.

Krenovian
01-01-2020, 12:10 PM
i just made this decision, went with the 2T. well...actually went with the 2, but was accidentally sent the 2T...huzzah!

why i preferred the 2/2T.
- automatic self calibration.
- built in cadence sensor.
- ability to do detailed L/R pedalstroke analysis.
- super quiet.
- heavier flywheel.
- optionally self powered.
- compact-ish folding design.

downside is that the cassette is not included and you need to buy a separate FH body if you want to run campy. i'm still waiting on my cassette to arrive, so just doing some prelim setup and testing until then.

i had a proto-smart Tacx T1640 (http://www.timslife.com/brancat/trainer/train3.php#item2) trainer from the early '00s that made that brand familiar to me, as well.I don't have any experience with the Kickr. I purchased a Tacx Neo 2 and agree with everything wallymann said. The Neo 2T corrects slip issues noted with the Neo and Neo 2 at very high watt output levels. I'm not strong enough to experience the slip issue so went for a new Neo 2 I found for $800.

The only problem I've experienced involves the Tacx software. My computer won't connect to the trainer using their software. It's not really a problem as the Neo 2 works flawlessly with Trainerroad.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ChainNoise
01-01-2020, 12:32 PM
I've ridden rollers for ever but have decided to join the rest of you in 2020 and get a current tech power trainer.

Who prefers which (personal experience preferred)?

Get smart rollers, problem solved

dem
01-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Tacx software and support in the USA are the main weakness. Anyone who lived through the bushido/genius era will be unlikely to buy a tacx product again.

On the other hand Wahoo is a stand up company, even replacing 2nd hand and out of warranty units for a reasonable charge.

I currently use a KICKR2.

tigoat
01-01-2020, 02:04 PM
I have had a Kickr gen 2, a Hammer gen 1, and a Tacx Neo 2, and I think I like the Neo 2 the best out of the bunch. First I first rode the Kickr I almost throw up, as that high pitch screaming sound in one of my small bedrooms was making me sick. The Hammer sounded more mellow and was bearable. The Neo 2 is quiet but certainly far from silent. The Neo 2 is more advanced with a direct drive system (internals), meaning there is no secondary belt loop like others have, so there is nothing mechanical to degrade and to replace over time. Neo 2 also has a downhill simulation drive, and it also can simulate road roughness with cobblestone, gravel, sand, etc. The Neo 2 does not even need power to ride if you don't need the downhill simulation, as it can supply its own electricity with your power. By design, the Neo 2 has a slight wobble which might be a positive or a negative for some people. I think the only thing I don't about the Neo 2 is that it does not have a "real" through axle, which has been addressed with the Neo 2T. Nonetheless, the Neo series from Tacx is as good as it gets for a smart trainer.

kramnnim
01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Kickr gen 1 does have a distinctive whine, but later versions are very quiet.

unterhausen
01-02-2020, 02:26 PM
I didn't know about the kickr whine because I always use a low gear on the trainer. Tried using a high gear, and it was really loud. This was an experiment because it's easier to ride a trainer in a high gear. I have gone back to using a low gear most of the time and there is virtually no whine. OTOH, it looks silly that I always ride 9mph.

I did the experiment for the ramp test. Since the intent is to see when you run out of steam, I think doing it in a high gear probably makes sense, and I will continue to do that. And I might gear up for really difficult workouts

yakstone
01-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Has anyone actually tried the Smart Rollers?
I see Tru Trainer as a swap out offering for their Classic Roller that looks interesting. Anybody have feedback?

ChainNoise
01-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Has anyone actually tried the Smart Rollers?
I see Tru Trainer as a swap out offering for their Classic Roller that looks interesting. Anybody have feedback?

I have a pair of Elite Arion Smart B+ rollers I got used on here a few weeks ago. I absolutely love them. Talk about a freaking challenge to stay on and keep up with a specific training exercise. Keep the wheel speed up and the resistance is smooth to come on and smooth to let off. I initially bought them to keep me motivated and concentrated on riding indoors during the winter months. I'd often drift off on a regular smart trainer and would lose interest in a matter of a few minutes. I'd then hate myself for being in the trainer and would only last a half hour at most. I have no problems staying motivated and on the rollers for over an hour at a time. Win for me!

uber
01-06-2020, 01:52 PM
My Tacx Neo is 2 years old with no issues.