PDA

View Full Version : eggbeaters vs. atacs

chrisroph
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Even though I'm a time road pedal addict, I've never really liked the feel of atacs. Can somebody who has used beaters and atacs compare the feel and lateral and angular float between them? Thanks!

iml
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I used ATACs exclusively on all my MTB and 'cross bikes from 1996 to 2003, when I switched to Crank Bros. I loved the Times, but for me the Crank Bros. pedals offer performance that's as good or better, with less weight. They clear mud even better than the ATACs here in the PNW. The feel and float is very similar to me.

The less-than-robust bearings some have reported with Eggbeaters have never been an issue for me. All my sets are good, with lots and lots of rainy hours on each.

rwsaunders
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
On recommendation by several Forumites, I've been running Quattros on the road for about 10 months and I like them.

shinomaster
01-03-2007, 01:19 PM
once you break in the cleats they float quite a lot like speed play pedals. I think it's great and like the float.
New cleats are pretty snappy though.

chrisroph
01-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Do the beaters have what time calls angular float, which is the ability to very slightly rock the foot from side to side, lifting the left side of the foot above the right side and vice versa, not rotate the heel of the foot towards and away from the chain stays, which I call lateral float. Some of you I am sure hate the float of road times but it makes my knees happy and I would love to find a mtn/cross pedal that mimics the float of the impacts.

shinomaster
01-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Do the beaters have what time calls angular float, which is the ability to very slightly rock the foot from side to side, lifting the left side of the foot above the right side and vice versa, not rotate the heel of the foot towards and away from the chain stays, which I call lateral float. Some of you I am sure hate the float of road times but it makes my knees happy and I would love to find a mtn/cross pedal that mimics the float of the impacts.

I can not imagine a pedal that floats more...But I'm not sure they float like the Times. My cleats are worn so they float everywhere! You can check mine out if you like.

manet
01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
float is for a parade.

do eggbeaters have a fixed capabilty?

Archibald
01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I used ATACs exclusively on all my MTB and 'cross bikes from 1996 to 2003, when I switched to Crank Bros. I loved the Times, but for me the Crank Bros. pedals offer performance that's as good or better, with less weight. They clear mud even better than the ATACs here in the PNW. The feel and float is very similar to me.

The less-than-robust bearings some have reported with Eggbeaters have never been an issue for me. All my sets are good, with lots and lots of rainy hours on each.
Eggbeaters?! More like ShinBeaters!

Real MTB'ers use Time, yo!

Maybe if I was some lame Portland cyclocross poser I could run that weakass shinbeater ***** but I've seen too many shinbeater pedal bodies seperate from the spindles and the resulting trauma to ever want to try.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

musgravecycles
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Why don't you tell us how you really feel Archibald...
;)

chrisroph
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I had a friend who lost the oregon BAR because a pair fell apart while she was in a break. I'm going to try a pair anyway and see what I think about them.

AgilisMerlin
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I had a friend who lost the oregon BAR because a pair fell apart while she was in a break. I'm going to try a pair anyway and see what I think about them.

why ?

amerliN

shinomaster
01-03-2007, 05:57 PM

Maybe if I was some lame Portland cyclocross poser I could run that weakass shinbeater ***** but I've seen too many shinbeater pedal bodies seperate from the spindles and the resulting trauma to ever want to try.

True...but the new ones are redesigned and haver a stronger bolt holding the thing together. The old bolts were very flimsy and I broke one while tightening it.

Grant McLean
01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Eggbeaters?! ...

I think ATMO's team uses the Candy model.
Not sure why anyone would choose the eggbeater over the Candy,
which has a much larger platform, and the weight difference is minimal,
according to my opinion... but maybe they picked them cause they're RED.

g

iml
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Mr. Meat Pie Dood is right. I only ride those stoopid big wheel bikes now, so I'm not even a real MTB'er anymore! :cool:

jbay
01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
float is for a parade.
Got a pedal-powered float in mind for D2R2 this year???

do eggbeaters have a fixed capabilty?
There isn't a fixed option for the original Eggbeater, no.

The Quattros - an Eggbeater with a big platform, low q-factor and a real inboard bearing - do, however, have a fixed option:

http://www.crankbrothers.com/fixed_cleat.php?itemId=

The "wing" portion of the cleat sits over the inboard bearing, largely preventing float. You do end up with a little slop after some use, but I'm able to cope.

Manna from heaven!

-- John

chrisroph
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
why ?

amerliN

I want different action than the atacs and the new pedals are suppposed to be improved. Besides, they are cheap enough to try a pair to see how they feel.

shinomaster
01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
this can happen...and aparently, it's a problem for other egg beater users. atmo.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15930&highlight=concussion

Archibald
01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
this can happen...and aparently, it's a problem for other egg beater users. atmo.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15930&highlight=concussion
Yep. I had a bro that looked like he got attacked by Jack the Ripper after his shinbeater pedal body came off suddenly allowing the spindle to excise a near perfect cresent. Another bro 5-minutes into a ride on a brand new pair had the same thing happened and he bled on the ground too. Plus for MTB'ing, there's no platform; if you're not clipped in your soon to be bleeding when your foot slips off of them which is why I call them shinbeaters.

Only weight weenies and sailors use shinbeaters. :banana:

shinomaster
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
We call them leg beaters...
My whole pedal unscrewed, it didn't break apart as you described....
The results were unsavory just the same.

zap
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Yep. I had a bro that looked like he got attacked by Jack the Ripper after his shinbeater pedal body came off suddenly allowing the spindle to excise a near perfect cresent. Another bro 5-minutes into a ride on a brand new pair had the same thing happened and he bled on the ground too. Plus for MTB'ing, there's no platform; if you're not clipped in your soon to be bleeding when your foot slips off of them which is why I call them shinbeaters.

Only weight weenies and sailors use shinbeaters. :banana:

You know, skill comes in handy every once in a while :rolleyes:

d_douglas
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I have used Times for about 5 years now and tried a pair of Eggbeaters that came cheap. Very similar, but I prefer the loud, positive SNAP of ATACs when you engage and disengage.

Same as others, I wouldn't ride true Eggbeaters off road anyways - MTB pedals make more sense when they have platforms, in my opinion. I have switched to using ATAC Z DH pedals on my cross country bike - safer, when you just need to keep both feet on the pedals. Heavier too, but what the hell.

Dekonick
01-04-2007, 04:29 PM
ATAC Downhill on your XC bike? WOW. They are heavy.

I love ATAC's

just my personal experience. You can also get an atac clone from nashbar for ~ $25 when they go on sale. (Eustar? I bought one pair but havent used them yet. They look just fine for a beater bike)

I have always been interested in the Egg's - interesting design - but the cost to change over would be too much and I would end up in divorce court. :)