PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Spare - CO2 blowout

ariw
12-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Stopped the other day to help a friend with a tubbie flat, nail right into the thing. We pulled the old one off, put my spare on, and used his CO2 to inflate. I use an inflator that lets me control the flow, but his was one of those tiny ones that sort just blasts the whole cartridge in one go. When I inflated, it sounded like the tube inside of the spare blew, and sure enough, we couldn't get the tire inflated. This was a known good spare, so I am sure it was fine before this. Tire was a Vittoria, anyone else experience this out on the road? Is the only solution using an inflator with a some control or a pump?

TIA,
-Ari

oldpotatoe
12-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Stopped the other day to help a friend with a tubbie flat, nail right into the thing. We pulled the old one off, put my spare on, and used his CO2 to inflate. I use an inflator that lets me control the flow, but his was one of those tiny ones that sort just blasts the whole cartridge in one go. When I inflated, it sounded like the tube inside of the spare blew, and sure enough, we couldn't get the tire inflated. This was a known good spare, so I am sure it was fine before this. Tire was a Vittoria, anyone else experience this out on the road? Is the only solution using an inflator with a some control or a pump?

TIA,
-Ari

No, ‘another’ solution is use a farging pump instead of ‘throw the in the trash’, CO2.

Clean39T
12-30-2019, 01:18 PM

TIA,
-Ari

C02 can freeze and blowout a latex tube pretty easily if not let out very slowly..

lhuerta
12-30-2019, 01:40 PM
...per above, use pump first on a tubie that has presumably been folded under ur seat (and especially if latex tube). Then when ur arm gets tired of pumping u can top off with CO2

Mikej
12-30-2019, 03:33 PM
My experience with co2 heads is this - screw it on, slowly unscrew it a tiny bit to let a small amount fill the tube, then tighten it back up, co2 will hold, since in my experience, the head has an o-ring seal. Once situated and certain your tire / tube are ready, reattach the co2 head and unscrew, allowing the remaining pressure from the cartridge to fill the tube. Basically, you don’t have to dump the entire cartridge at once.

pdmtong
12-30-2019, 07:15 PM
...per above, use pump first on a tubie that has presumably been folded under ur seat (and especially if latex tube). Then when ur arm gets tired of pumping u can top off with CO2

CO2 is a bit too unpredictable when initially filling so agreed best to stage the tube/tubie with a mini-pump to unfold all the creases and give the tube/tubie shape.

now on/off the CO2 to fill the in increments and not in a single continuous blast until you are sure it's all going as expected.

FlashUNC
12-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Co2 and latex are a bad combo.