PDA

View Full Version : New D/A pedal?

saab2000
01-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Sooner or later I will have to do something about my pedal situation. My shoes are old and there is a small chance that when I move away from Time shoes I may move away from Time pedals. I have tried this before only to return to Time, so it prolly won't happen.

But the Shimano "Lance" pedal seems like a very good alternative. I saw on RBR that Shimano has redesigned it for 2007. Any truth? Vicious lies? Same cleat?

It seems as though that if they are trying to change the formula they are doing so at their own peril because the version of the past few years seemed like such a winner.

Any thoughts? Shimano pedals would be on my short list so this is more than just a rhetorical question.

terrytnt
01-03-2007, 07:23 AM
There was a post on this (along with a pic of the new Shimano 2007 pedal) a few months back. From what I recall the base is slightly larger and Shimano replaced some of the plastic in the platform with Ti. The release date, back then, was supposed to be end of January.

Should be hearing more about this in a few weeks...

stevep
01-03-2007, 07:30 AM
as terry says. there is a new version soon to be available... some kind of minor changes. looks a little different.
i can sell you a campy sticker kit for it saab if you need that.
you can upgrade it to campy for $45...the price of the stickers.

saab2000
01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
as terry says. there is a new version soon to be available... some kind of minor changes. looks a little different.

Thanks! But I am not that ashamed of Shimano stuff. Their pedals are one of their pieces of equipment which IMHO is clearly better than Campagnolo's effort.

Other's include:

Shimano sealed headsets from before threadless headsets became common
Shimano D/A square taper BB

Bill Bove
01-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks! But I am not that ashamed of Shimano stuff. Their pedals are one of their pieces of equipment which IMHO is clearly better than Campagnolo's effort.

Other's include:

Shimano sealed headsets from before threadless headsets became common
Shimano D/A square taper BB
Herasey :eek: You are now excommunicated from the church of Campagnolo. You will be detained at the Italian border. Every time you get beat by a Campy rider an angel will get his wings.

Bill Bove
01-03-2007, 08:01 AM
That must be the Shimano to Campy price Pooch, I have a 20 dollar Sears Dremal tool and a 50 cent Sharpie that will make the Centuar to Record upgrade over and over again.

Smiley
01-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Surprised at u SAAB , why not e-bay for the older version , just as good :)

saab2000
01-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Surprised at u SAAB , why not e-bay for the older version , just as good :)

Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention!!

I move about as slowly as glaciers advance when it comes to this stuff. But my shoes are actually really getting old and when I get new ones I will move into the modern era. This is a big deal nowadays because high-end shoes are really spendy and if they don't work out retain very little value.

I am almost tempted to even go with the Rocket 7 shoes when the time comes.

But you are right about the used pedals. WAY cheaper than new. The Impact Mags on my Merckx cost $7.50, delivered to my door.

sspielman
01-03-2007, 08:38 AM
With respect to the new Time pedals.....I greatly prefer the Impacts to the newer RXS series miracle plastic models. They are slightly heavier, but seem much more positive to me. Additionally, the method of securing the axle within the pedal body is far superior as witnessed by the RXS recall campaign....It is handy that the RXS cleats are completely compatible with the Impact pedals...AND they use the now universal three bolt attachment pattern. I don't want to sound like I hate the RXS pedals, as they are my second choice for pedals....

Steelhead
01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Look Carbon KEOs' mmmm mmmmm good.

Xyzzy
01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
There was a post on this (along with a pic of the new Shimano 2007 pedal) a few months back.http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21210

I loved my SPD-SL pedals but I quickly destroyed the plastic pedal body inserts. Well, only the left one. At $3 a pop it was getting crazy.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=28707

I'm not a real fan of the lateral float but I can live with it. I've tried most of the major pedal systems and I guess I prefer SPD-SL over the others.

I would go back to Keos but Look/Veltec won't sell me the little rubber nubs that go into the cleats. I wear the nubs out quickly and then have to buy new cleats way before the old ones wear out. My left Keo pedal was all worn out where the nub hits the pedal after maybe 7k miles. And you can't replace the top of the pedal.

I'm sure I have some sort of biomechanical problem with my left leg.

:)

01-03-2007, 09:53 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21210

I loved my SPD-SL pedals but I quickly destroyed the plastic pedal body inserts. Well, only the left one. At $3 a pop it was getting crazy.

I'm sure I have some sort of biomechanical problem with my left leg.

:)

If that's the foot you regularly unclip at stoplights, that will explain it. Those replacement plates get eaten up quickly by the simple act of unclipping. FYI, you get two of them with a pair of replacement cleats and since older cleats eat up those plates faster, you kill two birds with a new package of cleats. Lastly, the floating cleats cause a lot more wear on that plate because your foot gets to wiggle back and forth all the time, grinding into that plate. If you can use the red fixed cleats, you really cut down on the wear.

Keith A
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Saab -- I'm not sure if this is the link (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=77259) that you saw on RBR or not, but there is some info in there along with some pictures and info from VeloNews towards the bottom on the discussion.

I too am very interested in this latest version of their pedal. I like the current "Lance" pedal quite well, but there is room for improvement and hopefully Shimano has addressed these issues.

Too Tall
01-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Exactly my thought too. Stick with NOS Time, it worked for this long pal.

I tried to switch to the new DA pedal a few yrs. back but something about them was not good and went back to good old BORING look. So now I buy pedals for next to nothing and they make new teflon coated cleats EVEN :)

vaxn8r
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
If that's the foot you regularly unclip at stoplights, that will explain it. Those replacement plates get eaten up quickly by the simple act of unclipping. FYI, you get two of them with a pair of replacement cleats and since older cleats eat up those plates faster, you kill two birds with a new package of cleats. Lastly, the floating cleats cause a lot more wear on that plate because your foot gets to wiggle back and forth all the time, grinding into that plate. If you can use the red fixed cleats, you really cut down on the wear.
I have the floating yellow cleat and I'm using the original DA pedals I purchased 3 years ago. I have about 18K miles on the yellow cleats and about 10K miles on the pedal and plastic interface. Less on the pedals since I ride several bikes with the same shoes.

I don't unclip very often...zero to once per ride so maybe that's the difference. But just riding them has produced very little wear for me. Maybe that's my biomechanics too. Dunno.

Xyzzy
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
If that's the foot you regularly unclip at stoplights, that will explain it. Those replacement plates get eaten up quickly by the simple act of unclipping.I do unclip with the left. Hmm.

FYI, you get two of them with a pair of replacement cleats and since older cleats eat up those plates faster, you kill two birds with a new package of cleats.I never got pedal body inserts with any cleats I ever bought. I usually buy new cleats every 2000 miles. At 1000 miles I swap cleats from shoe to shoe.

Lastly, the floating cleats cause a lot more wear on that plate because your foot gets to wiggle back and forth all the time, grinding into that plate. If you can use the red fixed cleats, you really cut down on the wear.I really want to use the red cleats. I have a pair that I used once. I loved the feel but I worried that I was going to destroy my knees. Now that I have read so many reports of people successfully using fixed cleats I am tempted to try it. (Ramping up slowly of course.)

AgilisMerlin
01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
i use the 7800's also.

Replace the cleat once a year. replace the plastic insert also. Very little wear. No play in axle bearing.

Use the yellow cleat/float.

been using them a year.

just replaced.

good enough for Bettini's campy bike, good enough for me.

Like em'.

musgravecycles
01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm a campy guy but use the 7801's with red (fixed) cleats. Best pedals I've ever used. Much better than my old Looks, Speedplay, and the Times I've used. I replace the cleats twice a year, and the body inserts once, never had an issue with them.

FWIW I've got a set of the ultegra's on the winter bike... Put me on the bike and I can't tell you which is which...

xyzzy, the red cleats aren't completely fixed if yer worried about the knee's, try 'em...

11.4, what's the deal with track riders and the older style DA pedals?

Big Dan
01-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Sorry, but Campy guys need to tough it out and use Campy pedals...... :p
Drink your kool aid ..........

saab2000
01-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry, but Campy guys need to tough it out and use Campy pedals...... :p
Drink your kool aid ..........

When clips and straps make a comeback I will do just that, using the Record pedals which were used in the late '80s. Or else Super Records. With Campagnolo clips and Binda straps.

stevep
01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
That must be the Shimano to Campy price Pooch, I have a 20 dollar Sears Dremal tool and a 50 cent Sharpie that will make the Centuar to Record upgrade over and over again.

im with you billy,
i never had seen all 07 aluminum record parts until you sold them to me... also i did not realize that they cost so much more than the carbon ones... but thanks for the deal anyway.
s

dirtdigger88
01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
here ya go Saab-

and yes Ive since lost the MP black straps . . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8651&stc=1

Jason

Chief
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I have the initial Lance Pedals, 7750 model that predates the 7800. I have in excess of 35,000 miles on these pedals and have never done a thing to them and they are as smooth as the day I put them on 4 years ago. The plastic insert on the 7750 is not the same as for the 7800 so I have never replaced them because I was never able to find any. Are they worn? You bet they are to the point that the body is worn, but I could care less. When I am really pulling up hard while climbing you can hear the cleat moving up and down in the pedal with the stroke to let me know that I am really working. I figure that I have more than got my $$ worth out of these pedals and when they give up the ghost, I will buy another set. I change cleats (yellow) maybe once a year--read 9,000 miles. However I'm inclined to switch to the red cleats.

musgravecycles
01-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Chief,

Your lbs can order the body inserts for the 7750 direct from Shimano USA. I had to order a couple sets for a client about a month ago...

FWIW I tried the 7750's when they first came out with the yellow cleats, wasn't impressed and went back to Look. Decided to give them another shot when I got the R7's and went straight to the Red cleats. I'll never look back...

Xyzzy
01-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Sorry, but Campy guys need to tough it out and use Campy pedals...... :pI had a set of Record ProFit pedals. I was not impressed with the way they spun. I could never count on one of the two pedals to spin to the right spot when I was unclipped, which meant i had to look down look a noob at every stop. I gave them 1000 miles to "break in" and they never did. I did like the positive engagement, though. And the cleat center, unlike SPD-SL or Keo, didn't wear a bit.

If you take them apart, all the way, there is a lot of cheap plastic in the rear part of the pedal. I also think they are overly complicated. The whole engaging hook system was too vague when you got around to adjusting it. Then there is the whole rumor thing about Campy dropping the pedal line completely.

I love Campy but I was not impressed by the pedals. Maybe my set was assembled on a Monday?

So far I have tried Time Impact, Shimano SPD-SL, Look Keo, Campy ProFit and Speedplay X. I could work with any of them, especially if I was being paid to.

If I got free pedals and cleats I think the Keos would be my favorite. But for me, they wear out at a scary rate.

pdxmech13
01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
this may have been mentioned but the advantage of newest shimano pedal is as follows

No more plastic damper face = no replacing worn part and little lateral play

Wider surface = less foot "roll over"

terrytnt
01-04-2007, 02:43 PM
So who knows precisely when the new SPD-SLs will be on the market... heck, they may already be available in EU?

pdxmech13
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it dosn't matter and toeclips rule ! :banana: