PDA

View Full Version : Dave Barry's Year In Review: We Are Not Making This Up

Elefantino
12-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Nah.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2019/12/29/dave-barrys-year-review/?arc404=true

jamesdak
12-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Nah.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2019/12/29/dave-barrys-year-review/?arc404=true

For years I delivered the Washington Post. Now you can't pay me to read it, LOL! Of course that's true of pretty much any "news" source these days. ;)

fiamme red
12-29-2019, 09:41 AM
For years I delivered the Washington Post. Now you can't pay me to read it, LOL! Of course that's true of pretty much any "news" source these days. ;)This is not news, it's a humor column by Dave Barry.

alancw3
12-29-2019, 09:57 AM
yep read earlier this morning. I am actually surprised not posted by "the New Yorker" magazine. anyway for those not familiar with Dave Barry he has been a long time writer for the Miami Herald, annual review for The New Yorker and author of several books. one of my favorite being "Best State Ever". an enjoyable read for anyone associated with Florida or has lived there.

Frankwurst
12-29-2019, 10:00 AM
This is not news, it's a humor column by Dave Barry.

^This. I first read Dave Barry in FLA in the 80"s when he had a regular column in the Orlando Sentinal. I thought he was funny then and I still think he's funny. But I've never taken myself or anybody else for that matter very serious. :beer:

Jaybee
12-29-2019, 10:15 AM
yep read earlier this morning. I am actually surprised not posted by "the New Yorker" magazine. anyway for those not familiar with Dave Barry he has been a long time writer for the Miami Herald, annual review for The New Yorker snd author of several books. one of my favorite being "Best State Ever". an enjoyable read for anyone associated Sith Florida.

Sith Florida is an amazing typo.

Awesome.

alancw3
12-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Sith Florida is an amazing typo.

Awesome.

thanks corrected.

nesteel
12-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Why is this even a thread. Did he do anything for cycling, cancer, or kids?
Let's lock it down people.

XXtwindad
12-29-2019, 10:51 AM

I hope you're being facetious. The "lock it down" crowd makes me nauseous. Both here and in the Real World.

OtayBW
12-29-2019, 10:54 AM
From the article:Abroad, Britain is in turmoil over “Brexit,” which is a very important thing we should all endeavor to learn about.
I appreciate a wry sense of humor, but the context and juxtaposition of this line in particular really cracked me up!
And his treatment of same continues...

Elefantino
12-29-2019, 10:54 AM

You apparently don't understand the depth and breadth of this forum.

fiamme red
12-29-2019, 10:56 AM
In sports, the Los Angeles Rams win the National Football Conference championship game after the referees, on a critical play, fail to notice when a Rams defensive back attacks a New Orleans Saints receiver with a chainsaw.

Responding to the ensuing outrage, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he will “conduct a thorough review of league policy regarding power tools,” adding that “New England is scheduled to win the Super Bowl anyway.”:)

Frankwurst
12-29-2019, 11:10 AM

This is true and I for one am not articulate enough to describe it. It's not a place for people who have thin skin or are offended by others and their opinions. But it sure is entertaining.:beer:

Hindmost
12-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Thanks, I needed that.

William
12-29-2019, 12:43 PM
... The "lock it down" crowd makes me nauseous. Both here and in the Real World.

https://media.giphy.com/media/MN3t8zF56CNAQ/giphy.gif

:)

W.

nesteel
12-29-2019, 12:53 PM

You apparently have no functional grasp or understanding of sarcasm.

joosttx
12-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Shallow and smelly?

colker
12-29-2019, 12:59 PM
I hope you're being facetious. The "lock it down" crowd makes me nauseous. Both here and in the Real World.

Agree! :hello::hello::hello:

colker
12-29-2019, 01:03 PM
For years I delivered the Washington Post. Now you can't pay me to read it, LOL! Of course that's true of pretty much any "news" source these days. ;)

Where from do you get your news/ facts however you want to call it? Social media where anything can be fake and distorted?
News and papers are part of checks and balances on a democracy. If it ceases to exist democracy itself goes down the same hole.

Spdntrxi
12-29-2019, 01:08 PM
Where from do you get your news/ facts however you want to call it? Social media where anything can be fake and distorted?
News and papers are part of checks and balances on a democracy. If it ceases to exist democracy itself goes down the same hole.

just because it's in print does not mean it's not fake and distorted. :no:

colker
12-29-2019, 01:14 PM
just because it's in print does not mean it's not fake and distorted. :no:

Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. Newspapers may have a bias and it´s an open bias but they don´t print lies. Social media is full of lies.

These days people think there is a conspiracy on newspapers. Instead they believe in the most outrageous paranoid tales told by those engaged in the destruction of democratic institutions.

jamesdak
12-29-2019, 01:34 PM
News and papers were part of checks and balances on a democracy. If it ceases to exist democracy itself goes down the same hole.

There, fixed that for you. :banana:

jtbadge
12-29-2019, 01:40 PM
Good thing the paceline is here to teach us about “fake news”

jlwdm
12-29-2019, 01:42 PM
We are in to the winter doldrums. If you look at the threads lately, the moderators might consider shutting the forum down of a few months and letting everyone refresh.

Jeff

Spdntrxi
12-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. Newspapers may have a bias and it´s an open bias but they don´t print lies. Social media is full of lies.

These days people think there is a conspiracy on newspapers. Instead they believe in the most outrageous paranoid tales told by those engaged in the destruction of democratic institutions.

not anymore....

gotcha headlines and the need to be "first"... newspapers are no different. Journalism is dead or on life support.

William
12-29-2019, 01:57 PM
Good thing the paceline is here to teach us about “fake news”

Look in the mirror, the Paceline is made of what you bring to it. The mods just try to make sure it doesn't get to far afield...which the majority of the time it does not.

...As the ancient Tibetan Philosophy states "Don't start none, won't be none!":banana:

W.

Spdntrxi
12-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Paceline is no RBR... and trust me that is a very good thing.

avalonracing
12-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Don't you know that YouTube, Twitter, and Memes are where this country likes to get its news? While Pulitzer Prize-winning institutions with scores of educated people who have dedicated their lives to specializing in arcane subject material and disseminating it to those who choose to be informed now have their lifeblood referred to as "news". #gah

colker
12-29-2019, 02:08 PM
not anymore....

gotcha headlines and the need to be "first"... newspapers are no different. Journalism is dead or on life support.

How do people get their facts? On facebook? When journalism dies democracy will die since it depends on people making choices according to facts. Without professional journalism there is mostly fake news.

jtbadge
12-29-2019, 02:18 PM
There’s a direct correlation between complaints about “fake news” and the “death of journalism” and support for those people and agendas which look bad in the light of truth.

It’s nothing but an attempt to distract, and frankly it’s pretty tired at this point.

72gmc
12-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Journalism is dead or on life support.

Has been many times in the past, will be in the future as we all cling to plastic flotsam amid rising waves and climate change denial stories.

journalism can be corrupted just as other things are, but at its root it is still about objective reporting of verified facts so that people of all mindsets might make informed decisions for themselves. It is essential to not give up on it, or our fellow people trying their best to do it well.

Dave Barry is essential too, for silly reasons.

dustyrider
12-29-2019, 02:45 PM
I tuned out the “news” years ago now. Never heard of Dave Barry, but my curiosity, and the internet, did lead me to Max Roser. I think I’m a bit better for it too! Enjoy 2020.

Peter P.
12-29-2019, 03:24 PM
...an enjoyable read for anyone associated with Florida.

If you like Dave Barry, and you like humor, and you're associated with Florida, read any novel by Carl Hiaasen (http://www.carlhiaasen.com/).

I read "Sick Puppy" and "Lucky You" and can attest to the fact.

Wear a diaper while reading, or you'll wet your pants.

Carl and Dave performed in a now defunct rock band called the Rock Bottom Remainders.

P.S. Why do people post links to sites that are behind paywalls? Not everyone has access to paywall protected sites.

fiamme red
12-29-2019, 03:26 PM
P.S. Why do people post links to sites that are behind paywalls? Not everyone has access to paywall protected sites.You should be able to read this: https://www.richmond.com/opinion/columnists/dave-barry-column-dave-barry-s-year-in-review-well/article_db735b99-f7e9-5d94-9966-70656498f08e.html.

Hindmost
12-29-2019, 03:57 PM
...As the ancient Tibetan Philosophy states "Don't start none, won't be none!":banana
W.

"Is that some kind of Eastern thing?"

Steve in SLO
12-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Wow...Dave Barry started this. I’m not making this up.

William
12-29-2019, 05:10 PM
"Is that some kind of Eastern thing?"

Basically, yes. So back in the day I jumped ship in Hong Kong and I made my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. You know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but know this for total enlightenment... Don't start none, won't be none." So I got that goin' for me, which was nice.

;)
W

charliedid
12-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Basically, yes. So back in the day I jumped ship in Hong Kong and I made my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. You know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but know this for total enlightenment... Don't start none, won't be none." So I got that goin' for me, which was nice.

;)
W

Carl is the best.

Frankwurst
12-29-2019, 06:35 PM
W

:beer: Well played!

Peter P.
12-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. ... engaged in the destruction of democratic institutions.

I'm with ya' on this one, brother.

I'm amazed at the number of people who spew about "media bias" when they can't see that newspapers' reputations and long term business rest on reporting VERIFIABLE facts. Most papers have an OPINION page where they can exercise their bias. The public seems too lazy to exercise their brains to differentiate between the two.

I'll always read and rely on newspapers for information, and recognize the difference between fact and bias.

And yes; it appears more people are getting their "news" and "facts" from social media yet they're too dumb to recognize the recklessness of that choice.

Peter P.
12-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. ... engaged in the destruction of democratic institutions.

I'm amazed at the number of people who spew about "media bias" when they can't see that newspapers' reputations and long term business rest on reporting VERIFIABLE facts. Most papers have an OPINION page where they can exercise their bias. The public seems too lazy to exercise their brains to differentiate between the two.

I'll always read and rely on newspapers for information, and recognize the difference between fact and bias.

And yes; it appears more people are getting their "news" and "facts" from social media yet they're too dumb to recognize the recklessness of that choice.

Dave Barry is still funny! Read his column on colonoscopies...

wc1934
12-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Thanks for sharing - I needed a good laugh!!

jamesdak
12-29-2019, 09:10 PM

And yes; it appears more people are getting their "news" and "facts" from social media yet they're too dumb to recognize the recklessness of that choice..

Well you know, years ago I did a college paper about this. An argumentative essay about the media not being biased. But the more I researched (with an open mind) the more and more I was able to determine that this really is no longer true. In fact, what I found most surprising at the time was that one of the few unbiased media sources I could find was Al Jazeera. So, believe what you want but I certainly found an answer I wasn't expecting when actually researching this.

marciero
12-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Well you know, years ago I did a college paper about this. An argumentative essay about the media not being biased. But the more I researched (with an open mind) the more and more I was able to determine that this really is no longer true. In fact, what I found most surprising at the time was that one of the few unbiased media sources I could find was Al Jazeera. So, believe what you want but I certainly found an answer I wasn't expecting when actually researching this.

As was pointed out, reporting factual events in a biased way is one thing. Spewing untruths and misinformation is an entirely different thing. Al Jazeera has long had a reputation for high quality journalism.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2019, 06:04 AM
There’s a direct correlation between complaints about “fake news” and the “death of journalism” and support for those people and agendas which look bad in the light of truth.

It’s nothing but an attempt to distract, and frankly it’s pretty tired at this point.

Yup, criticism doesn't equal 'fake news'...:eek:

They aren't 'dumb' but lazy..search until you find a narrative you agree with, agree with it and stop looking. The 36-38%..:p

Elefantino
12-30-2019, 07:50 AM
As a 35-year veteran of newsrooms, I probably have a fairly good grasp of what goes on at newspapers.

The quality of journalism overall remains high, although much of the nuts and bolts of the editing process at local papers has been gutted and one-fifth of all American newspapers have closed. (At one of my former papers, the newsroom had 216 staffers 20 years ago and now has 35.)

Are newspapers perfect, even the national ones? No. I disagree with the bothsidesism when one side is obviously, demonstrably lying. (Looking at you, NYT.) And there are papers whose editorial direction is decided by the politically active people who write the checks.

But most are staffed by people who are trying to shine a light on the truth every day despite enormous odds. I'll back their version of history.

XXtwindad
12-30-2019, 09:42 AM
As a 35-year veteran of newsrooms, I probably have a fairly good grasp of what goes on at newspapers.

The quality of journalism overall remains high, although much of the nuts and bolts of the editing process at local papers has been gutted and one-fifth of all American newspapers have closed. (At one of my former papers, the newsroom had 216 staffers 20 years ago and now has 35.)

Are newspapers perfect, even the national ones? No. I disagree with the bothsidesism when one side is obviously, demonstrably lying. (Looking at you, NYT.) And there are papers whose editorial direction is decided by the politically active people who write the checks.

But most are staffed by people who are trying to shine a light on the truth every day despite enormous odds. I'll back their version of history.

Absolutely. 100%. It's easy to be a part of the SIDC when your news "source" is a social media echo chamber.

redir
12-30-2019, 10:04 AM
If you like Dave Barry, and you like humor, and you're associated with Florida, read any novel by Carl Hiaasen (http://www.carlhiaasen.com/).

I read "Sick Puppy" and "Lucky You" and can attest to the fact.

Wear a diaper while reading, or you'll wet your pants.

Carl and Dave performed in a now defunct rock band called the Rock Bottom Remainders.

P.S. Why do people post links to sites that are behind paywalls? Not everyone has access to paywall protected sites.
Easy hack on that one. paste the URL in the address box and hover your mouse right over the refresh button, hit enter and just after the page starts to load hit the refresh button which will really be a stop button as the page is loading. That cuts off the paywall from loading into your browser. It might take a few times before you get it just right ;)

---

All the major news papers in the country use best management practices in journalism which includes exhaustive efforts to make sure what they are printing is true. That is behind the scenes. Bias is a different issue. Once in a while there is a dishonest reporter but they always get caught and then of course those who are in power and want you to distrust those who root out their lies will use that one instance of a dishonest reporter as 'proof' that the whole industry is corrupt and so you would be better off going to the root source to get your daily feed of lies. Of course half the country now wants to believe in the lies so that's another problem.

fiamme red
12-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Another one for the Dave Barry fans, his gift guide for 2019: https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2019/12/15/2019-dave-barry-gift-guide-no-one-will-want-any-of-these-things/.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Easy hack on that one. paste the URL in the address box and hover your mouse right over the refresh button, hit enter and just after the page starts to load hit the refresh button which will really be a stop button as the page is loading. That cuts off the paywall from loading into your browser. It might take a few times before you get it just right ;)

---

All the major news papers in the country use best management practices in journalism which includes exhaustive efforts to make sure what they are printing is true. That is behind the scenes. Bias is a different issue. Once in a while there is a dishonest reporter but they always get caught and then of course those who are in power and want you to distrust those who root out their lies will use that one instance of a dishonest reporter as 'proof' that the whole industry is corrupt and so you would be better off going to the root source to get your daily feed of lies. Of course half the country now wants to believe in the lies so that's another problem.

38-40% tops. :eek:

cloudguy
12-30-2019, 09:12 PM
38-40% tops. :eek:

And most of em are over 65 boomers. The greatest generation followed by the WORST.

charliedid
12-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Really, NYT are demostrable liars?

charliedid
12-30-2019, 09:26 PM
And most of em are over 65 boomers. The greatest generation followed by the WORST.

OK Boomer

Elefantino
12-30-2019, 10:04 PM

No, but their false equivalence is journalistic malpractice.

Matt92037
12-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Head in ass. They print lies all the ****ing time. TV and papers. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Post, etc, etc. all a joke. They are all a sham. Only the stupidest sheeple don’t see it.

Yes. It means it´s facts were double checked. Newspapers may have a bias and it´s an open bias but they don´t print lies

cloudguy
12-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I guess.

makoti
12-30-2019, 10:57 PM
Head in ass. They print lies all the ****ing time. TV and papers. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Post, etc, etc. all a joke. They are all a sham. Only the stupidest sheeple don’t see it.

You must be great fun at parties, showing off your new tin foil hat.

gasman
12-31-2019, 12:36 AM

So who do you trust ? Facebook ? IG ? Geez

The local journalists I know work hard to get their stories correct. They do make mistakes but it’s not for lack of trying to get their facts verified.

Come on everyone the OP posted a link to a Dave Barry humor column. I think he’s a funny guy and a clever writer. Let’s lighten up and enjoy the fact there are things to laugh about.

Blue Jays
12-31-2019, 04:11 AM
IB4TL. :banana:

marciero
12-31-2019, 04:27 AM

Evidence that the general strategy of undermining institutions, and the press in particular in this case, is working, at least for the 38-40% that Old Potato referred to. When everything is fake, nothing is true. There are no experts, science is bunk, career professionals are part of the deep state, etc.

marciero
12-31-2019, 04:28 AM
IB4TL. :banana:

I'll raise you one. Actually two counting my last one

oldpotatoe
12-31-2019, 06:09 AM
Evidence that the general strategy of undermining institutions, and the press in particular in this case, is working, at least for the 38-40% that Old Potato referred to. When everything is fake, nothing is true. There are no experts, science is bunk, career professionals are part of the deep state, etc.

Yup, particularly when you hear things like ‘alternative facts’ and ‘fact checkers’, based on actual video recordings, are ‘fake news’...the ‘problem’ with MSM is also it’s strength, in this interweb, 24/7 news cycle, era. Fact checking at a computer is getting easier all the time. But again, some sheeple look for a view point they agree with, and stop there. LOTS said at rallies is complete hogwash.

Elefantino
12-31-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm sorry that this thread has drifted into :fight:

Sorry that I contributed to the drift, too.

On this, the last day of the year, let's all do something that makes us laugh. You can't be angry when you laugh.

OtayBW
12-31-2019, 07:52 AM
This seems like a good place to mention “Brexit.” :rolleyes: