PDA

View Full Version : Component Lifetimes

ericmurphy
05-12-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm definitely a bit obsessive when it comes to documentation. I keep meticulous logs of my rides, the routes I ride on, my annual mileage, etc. I also keep meticulous maintenance records on my bikes: when I lube the chain, put air in the tires, overhauls, and when I install various components.

Yes, I know. I'm a geek. I blame society.

Anyway, I'm curious what kind of service you guys get out of components. I was looking at the drivetrain on my main bike tonight, and I noticed that the bulk of the components (crank, hubs, derailleurs) have just short of 12,000 miles on them. This is Ultegra stuff, nothing fancy about it. But other than replacing my chain (which had about 11,000 miles on it, and I only replaced it because I changed out the cassette to something less resembling a corn-cob), I haven't done anything to the drivetrain other than regular maintenance.

Is this typical usage out of run-of-the-mill parts, or am I just really easy on components (I'm definitely not a hammerhead by any means)? Or should I expect this kind of life out of components?

Andreu
05-12-2004, 02:17 AM
The only thing I would say is that I get good mileage out of the deraillers (front and back). I have had probably upwards of 20+k miles out of it so far - mix of chain gangs, races and long hard rides in all sorts of weather. However, chains no --- for some reason I have to change every 2500-4000 miles (basically once or twice a year depending on when I remember - I can live with spending €35 twice a year on a chain!) not sure whether this is because of what I do or inspite of what I do. I ride Campag. 10 speed. Of course this also can mean a cassette change...I leave the decision up to the LBS. I just remembered too I have had to change my BB twice in the last 5 years....I would say this was bad value for money but we have had some really wet weather over here which probably doesnīt help but I now have mixed feelings about the Record BB! Everything else works beautifully.
As an aside, I used Ultegra on one of my first bikes which I used to race on (cyclocross) and use as my winter hack bike.....itīs (pound for pound) the best groupset I have ever had.
A :beer:

Too Tall
05-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Bicycles are marvels. For the use we get the return on value is amazing. I'm specifically thinking about the drawerful of GREAT hubs I've been recirculating since the 70s.

Your experience is not unusual. Folks who ride more and who ride in all weather conditions will change chains and cables more often.

Kevan
05-12-2004, 07:40 AM
you travel only downhills. :D

Chains usually last about a season and a fraction for me. Aside from bumps and scrapes, my ultegra stuff functions perfectly and will likely be replaced (purely for reasons of lust) before any of it breaks.

dirtdigger88
05-12-2004, 09:44 AM
If I could get 11k out of a chain I would buy one of those cool $300 Whipperman Ti chains. God, I am happy with 2500 miles. I am catious when it comes to chains though. I figure a $35 chain to save $170 cassette and $125 in rings. Call me crazy. I even change my cables once a year

Jason

djg
05-12-2004, 10:00 AM
no way I've ever gotten 11K out of a chain. The other parts? I've had some things last a real long time--had some shimano 600 stuff working just fine for a decade (plenty o' miles) and it was working fine when I sold it.

ericmurphy
05-12-2004, 10:48 AM
no way I've ever gotten 11K out of a chain. The other parts? I've had some things last a real long time--had some shimano 600 stuff working just fine for a decade (plenty o' miles) and it was working fine when I sold it.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to find out the chain had that kind of mileage myself. The mechanic who changed it out didn't say anything about unusual wear on either the chain or the cassette, but I didn't think to ask either, so who knows. But one thing that probably contributes to chain longevity is that I rarely ride in the rain (we don't get a whole lotta rain out here in the Bay Area to begin with).

But given the price of even DA chains, I think I'll make a practice of replacing it every year from now on, given the price of DA-10 cassettes!

JohnS
05-12-2004, 10:49 AM
You keep track of when you put air in your tires? Don't you do that before EVERY ride?

ericmurphy
05-12-2004, 11:43 AM
You keep track of when you put air in your tires? Don't you do that before EVERY ride?

Nope. Once every two weeks usually works.

Surely you don't think a guy who can get 11,000 miles out of a chain needs to put air in his tires every 50 miles... :-)

dirtdigger88
05-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Eric,

If you are serious (and I doubt you are) I am interested in what kind of tubes and tires you use and what air pressure you normally ride at. I like my tires up around 125-130psi. I have to air up every morning before my ride because the tires are down around 95psi. No I don't have a slow leak, my tires always seem to loose that much air. Maybe it is a midwest thing.

jason

ericmurphy
05-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Eric,

If you are serious (and I doubt you are) I am interested in what kind of tubes and tires you use and what air pressure you normally ride at. I like my tires up around 125-130psi. I have to air up every morning before my ride because the tires are down around 95psi. No I don't have a slow leak, my tires always seem to loose that much air. Maybe it is a midwest thing.

jason

Actually, I am serious. I'm riding Michelin Carbon Axials (or whatever they're called, I can never remember the exact name), and I run them at 100 PSI. I ride four or five days a week (try to get in at least 100 miles), and usually every two weeks they get down to about 90 PSI. Basically I pump 'em back up every other Friday.

Maybe it's the tubes I'm using? But I haven't the faintest idea which ones they are. They're whatever the LBS handed me when I said I needed 700X23s with long valve stems. I also haven't flatted out since May of 2002, which was about 10,000 miles ago....

Serotta PETE
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Eric,

jason

THe tubes are what leaks the air. The very light latex tubes leak air just as good tubulars do. For my everyday bike I use the inexpensive rubber/butyl tubes...They are heavy, bullet proof, and do not leak air....Supple is not their middle name - but they do work for me purpose/ PETE aka michelin man

dgauthier
05-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Is this typical usage out of run-of-the-mill parts, or am I just really easy on components

I would go so far as to say you should expect *better* life from cheaper components.

The lower model ranges are a bit heavier and thus, more robust. They tend to sport nice tough steel parts that get swapped out for lighter - and more quickly wearing - alloy or titanium parts as one moves up the model ranges.

ericmurphy
05-12-2004, 04:23 PM
I would go so far as to say you should expect *better* life from cheaper components.

Hmm...I always build bikes with Dura Ace chains under the (perhaps mistaken?) assumption that they're stronger than, say, Ultegra or Deore XT chains.

vaxn8r
05-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I think that is not a good assumption. Usually DA means lighter and maybe just as durable. But I doubt the chain or cogs are as durable as Ultegra or even the lower line (below 105).

Dekonick
05-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Interesting. I change my cables and chain every year - no matter how much I ride. I only do it once a year. (Casette change with the chain - always ultegra, and whatever chain the LBS uses. I dont race, so weight doesnt matter - just comfort. - my guess for me - approx 2k- 3k a year? (too cold to ride in the winter... but I did get a computrainer this year!!! damn... gotta say that ^%^%$ computrainer seems alot harder than the real road! :D

say - anyone know a good podiatrist in the Maryland area? I am looking for cycling orthotics. My podiatrist only makes running inserts... and I hate running... :crap:

pale scotsman
05-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Why do you guys change cables so often? A good cleaning with a 320 grit 3M sanding pad will bring them back to new. One of my 5 year old mountain bikes has the original cables and they still shift perfectly.

froze
05-12-2004, 11:13 PM
I have heard of a few people getting 10,000 to 12,000 miles on chains on other forums, but most get 3,000 to 5,000. One thing interesting is that the older stuff that I ride on, 7 speed freewheels with friction shifting type of stuff, last even longer; my chains average 15,000 miles, and my freewheel (Suntour Winner) lasted about 125,000 miles before replacing it 3 years ago. The reason being I found out was due to the fact the older stuff used thicker fatter chains thus heavier and more robust, AND they used thicker gears with wider spacing to mesh with the thicker fatter chains, thus the freewheels last far longer as well. When the industry went to 9 and 10 speed clusters they made the gears thinner and closer together thus they had to use a thinner chains which in turn has reduced the life expendancy by about 1/2. So there is some truth to what DGauthier said about todays lower grade components using heavier steel could last longer in the chain and gear department, but the rest of the components do not last as long as the higher end stuff.

The thinner butyl tubes will also loose air faster then thicker ones. I use Specialize 65 gram tubes and they loose about 15 pounds in the first 24 hours. Latex tubes will loose about 33% of their initial air pressure during the first 24 hours! Also the more the pressure drops the slower the loss will become. My thicker mtb tubes loose about 5 pounds in a month.

And I do not change my cables unless they become frayed which is rare. Since 1984 when I bought my current bike, I have only replaced the cables once and this bike now has just over 140,000 miles-but don't forget this is a friction shifter. But I don't see any need to replace the cables every year, my mtb is STI and it has about 12,000 miles and it's 14 years old and the cables have never been replaced.

Too Tall
05-13-2004, 06:36 AM
There sure are alot of camps regards chain/cable replacement. Mine's real easy to follow...can't afford to have equipment failure and all my bikes need to work!

1. Chains. - replace when the whipperman chain checker drops in for the "A"luminum cog setting. Doing this, you'll only have to replace cogs if they begin to skip.
2. Cables - replace gear cables 2X / yr. on main bikes....regardless. They only cost $4 and a broken cable will destroy a $200 STI. Replace brake cables 1x / yr. Only use OEM gear cables, they are still the best.
3. Keep chains and rings wiped down. Keeps my chains in service alot longer.