PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Don Imus

Shoeman
12-28-2019, 01:53 PM
Like him or not, he was a legend in the industry!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/arts/don-imus-dead.html

XXtwindad
12-28-2019, 02:18 PM
mic drop ...

Bentley
12-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Imus is such a polarizing figure might be best to shut this down...

charliedid
12-28-2019, 03:42 PM
This thread is already weird

echappist
12-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Like him or not, he was a legend in the industry!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/arts/don-imus-dead.html

Just like D. W. Griffith is “famous” in his own right...

Blue Jays
12-28-2019, 04:18 PM
He was an iconic radio broadcaster famous for nearly fifty years.
Funny, controversial, and pushed the edge of the envelope. RIP.

merlinmurph
12-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

He had the best guests - journalists and politicians mostly. Tim Russert was on a few times per week and was always good. Andrea Mitchell, James Carville, Mary Matilin, Mike Barnicle, John McCain, B Netenyahu, Doris Kearns Goodwin - all regulars. And they had great conversations. The guests were able to speak their mind and Imus just let them go. A guest had to be fun and entertaining or they wouldn't return. John Kerry was on once and was boring. He pleaded for another visit.

I'm not justifying his behavior. Just saying he had great guests.

His wife was awful. She would rant endlessly with her anti-vax crusade.

rnhood
12-28-2019, 04:58 PM
One of the few radio shows that I listened to (at times). Even looked forward to it. Always liked him. Medical problems aside, he did pretty well to make it to 79. RIP.

jtbadge
12-28-2019, 04:59 PM
This dude was an awful human being. Why are we memorializing him on a bike forum?

earlfoss
12-28-2019, 05:14 PM
This dude was an awful human being. Why are we memorializing him on a bike forum?

LOL did he ride a bike

Blue Jays
12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
"... Imus Ranch was a working cattle ranch of nearly 3,000 acres located in Ribera, New Mexico, 50 miles southeast of Santa Fe, NM.

Between 1998–2014, it was the site of a non-profit charitable program for seriously ill children, founded by long-time radio personality Don Imus and his wife, Deirdre. The charitable organization sought to ensure the continuity of the lives of children afflicted with cancer or serious blood diseases.

The charity's goal was to provide children ages 10–17 with an experience of living life on a functioning cattle ranch, free of charge, to build-up the child's self-confidence and sense of accomplishment, in the company of similar children facing serious illness. In later years, it also opened to siblings of SIDS victims..."

He reportedly liked bicycles according to unnamed people close to him.
Don Imus and Deirdre Imus also ostensibly felt for kids sick with cancer.

jtbadge
12-28-2019, 05:16 PM
We've had enough lance threads on this forum to know that helping kids with cancer isn't a shield from criticism. This guy has a track record of terrible behavior.

FlashUNC
12-28-2019, 05:38 PM
He also said Howard Stern should be thrown into an oven. Really top notch radio comedy. But that was the entire schtick. What might Don say today?

The interviews were occasionally interesting but nothing you couldn't get from anywhere else, and from less problematic interviewers.

Honestly I thought he died 5 years ago.

Elefantino
12-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Bo Dietl used to be on the Imus show all the time, which for the most part explains the Imus show.

berserk87
12-28-2019, 06:02 PM
LOL did he ride a bike

Now there we go. How about actually discussing bike related stuff? On a cycling forum?

zmudshark
12-28-2019, 06:13 PM
If I risk suspension and start talking Nazi/Hitler stuff will this thread get locked?

peanutgallery
12-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Love him or hate him...he's pushing up daisies. RIP. Live each day like you last and you'll be fine

Wishing everyone a great holiday season

echelon_john
12-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Long term racist views.
Yes he worked for cancer kids.
Still a vile human.

Even in haiku the math comes out against him. You’re not a “boundary pusher” when you’re a white male making fun of black people, Jews or women. Sorry, but eff him.

peanutgallery
12-28-2019, 09:21 PM
And a Merry Xmas to you, too

Long term racist views.
Yes he worked for cancer kids.
Still a vile human.

Even in haiku the math comes out against him. You’re not a “boundary pusher” when you’re a white male making fun of black people, Jews or women. Sorry, but eff him.

Blue Jays
12-28-2019, 09:29 PM
Good grief, he was a "shock jock" radio personality...not a somber and very devout priest.
He secured interesting people to interview on the radio and cracked boundary-pushing jokes.
He and his wife facilitated some happiness for young kids with cancer. Lighten up, Francises.

sonicCows
12-28-2019, 09:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WIgkUJ2.gif

Iconic, controversial, and pushed the edge of the envelope. And he rode a bike. RIP.

Why do we have a topic for Don Imus? This wasn't even marked OT...

Blue Jays
12-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Thank goodness we reached Godwin's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) in a thread about a radio DJ.

gasman
12-28-2019, 11:45 PM
OK everyone. I think before this thread goes further off the rails I'm going to close it.
If someone wants to start another thread go ahead.

There are a lot more important things in this world, no disrespect meant to his family but this is a bike forum.

Happy New Year to everyone a bit early.

likebikes
12-28-2019, 11:48 PM
in before the lock!