PDA

View Full Version : e-bike injury study

thwart
12-28-2019, 09:47 AM
No surprise here. E-bike users experience more severe injuries than traditional bicycles.

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2019/11/11/injuryprev-2019-043418.full

"We don't know a lot about the overall risks and benefits of electric-powered scooters and e-bikes," Charles DiMaggio, the study's lead author, said in an email.

Most significantly, the study found injuries from e-bikes in particular were more serious, said DiMaggio, who directs the injury research program in the division of trauma and surgical critical care at NYU Langone Health in New York City.

"With the power assist engaged, e-bikes are capable of speeds well over 20 miles an hour," DiMaggio pointed out.

"By contrast, average speeds for more traditional bikes like the New York City (rental) Citi Bikes are less than 10 miles an hour. This near-doubling of potential speeds may be why e-bike injuries can be more serious," he said.

This, and the lack of proper biking infrastructure.

dancinkozmo
12-28-2019, 09:56 AM
who woulda thunk the "yankee clipper" is also a top scientist at NYU ??

its a crazy world i tells ya.

OtayBW
12-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Interesting......but not surprising.

XXtwindad
12-28-2019, 10:20 AM
I think ebikes can have some beneficial aspects. And they're here to stay. That being said, they will probably have to be regulated. The advent of ebikes might even prompt universal helmet laws.

cash05458
12-28-2019, 10:28 AM
next up prolly...bike license plates...ala mopeds...and registration fees every year, inspections...all that great jazz from miss big brother we all love ...and yeah, helmet laws I bet...

Ralph
12-28-2019, 03:01 PM
And they are about twice as heavy if you crash with one on top of you. Or one crashes into you.

unterhausen
12-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Last week saw 6 pedestrians killed by motorists in New York City alone. That number might be equaled in a decade by cyclists in the entire U.S. So of course, politicians are rushing to regulate cyclists, escooters and ebikes

p nut
12-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Non-cyclists going over twice the speed? What could go wrong?

nmrt
12-28-2019, 05:20 PM
if states do not require motorcycle helmets, i doubt they will require ebike helmets. but i sure hope that they do.

I think ebikes can have some beneficial aspects. And they're here to stay. That being said, they will probably have to be regulated. The advent of ebikes might even prompt universal helmet laws.

buddybikes
12-28-2019, 06:31 PM
With the advancement of ebike technology, how could law enforcement even determine who has one?

ultraman6970
12-28-2019, 06:42 PM
A 70 y/o lady today pass me maybe at 30 km/h in a electric bike. "Grandma wheels" was passing everybody in this like hybrid electric bike, and honestly what I thought was... if that old lady goes off the road the accident will be f.... EPIC!...

You have a heavier bike going fast... more momentum... more damage... no surprise there IMO.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2019, 07:13 AM

First, there are a few around the republic that blast around on their 'electric scooters' in the bike lane. One who has a Puch 'scooter' that belches all sorts of 2 stroke smoke too, in the bike lane'. 'E'Bike', not even, but a electric(and gas) powered scooter with 'pedals' that rotate.

'Universal helmet laws'?? Doubt it, better start with motorcycles first. NO helmet law in CO for those things that are IN traffic and are traveling 75 MPH...
Doubt the legislature would do a 'e bike' helmet law.
next up prolly...bike license plates...ala mopeds...and registration fees every year, inspections...all that great jazz from miss big brother we all love ...and yeah, helmet laws I bet...

Here in CO, less than 50cc, NO license or plates required. None of that jazz required, at least in CO. These 'ebike's need to be 'e assist', not "push button and not pedal and go 20-25 MPH...

XXtwindad
12-29-2019, 07:39 AM
First, there are a few around the republic that blast around on their 'electric scooters' in the bike lane. One who has a Puch 'scooter' that belches all sorts of 2 stroke smoke too, in the bike lane'. 'E'Bike', not even, but a electric(and gas) powered scooter with 'pedals' that rotate.

'Universal helmet laws'?? Doubt it, better start with motorcycles first. NO helmet law in CO for those things that are IN traffic and are traveling 75 MPH...
Doubt the legislature would do a 'e bike' helmet law.

Here in CO, less than 50cc, NO license or plates required. None of that jazz required, at least in CO. These 'ebike's need to be 'e assist', not "push button and not pedal and go 20-25 MPH...

You say "oldpotatoe." I say "oldpotatah." There's so much in a name, right? :)

mdeth1313
12-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Non-cyclists going over twice the speed? What could go wrong?

I think it's the non-cyclist part. They have no clue how the thing handles or how to handle it.

Ralph
12-29-2019, 08:01 AM
As far as I know.....and my understanding of the law is....my wife's mid engine 250 watt E assist bike is legal for use on our local extensive trail system. With many miles of smooth 12-14' wide trails with little congestion in many areas.

It is E assist only, (no throttle), and you can't get it over about 19 MPH. Even with E power off, the gearing of 38 X 11 and spinning like crazy limits the top speed. But still think one would be nuts riding this 49 lb bike without a helmet and extreme caution. If you hit someone with a 49 lb bike, someone gets hurt.

sethjs
12-29-2019, 01:22 PM
People for bikes has a regulation scheme they’re trying to get all states to adopt. Class 1 = pedal assist up to 20mph. Class 2 = throttle up to 20. Class 3 = pedal assist up to 28. Class 1 is treated exactly as a bike is. Don’t know how class 2 is treated. Class 3 requires a helmet. I think technically not supposed to be in bike lanes but practically they’re ridden there.

In SF City the cycling infrastructure has gotten really good recently. Tons of protected bike lanes, etc. I’d say 1/3 of bikes I see on my morning commute are now eBikes. It’s awesome. Definitely getting more people out of cars. Definitely having the impact of forcing the govt to prioritize cycling infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skenry
12-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Totally understand how people would get hurt on assisted bikes. It's just simple physics.

As for increased regulation at the State or Federal level, I'm totally against it. There is already enough overreach and regulation from the Feds, they must have something else to do. This is 100% a local issue and up to each individual city or town. What works and what is a problem in one place doesn't make it so in my town.

sitzmark
12-30-2019, 07:15 AM
People for bikes has a regulation scheme they’re trying to get all states to adopt. Class 1 = pedal assist up to 20mph. Class 2 = throttle up to 20. Class 3 = pedal assist up to 28. Class 1 is treated exactly as a bike is. Don’t know how class 2 is treated. Class 3 requires a helmet. I think technically not supposed to be in bike lanes but practically they’re ridden there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where does a non-assist bike that coasts on a decline up to 40mph fit into that speed-based classification scheme?? Not equally dangerous for the fact that it doesn’t have a battery onboard?

unterhausen
12-30-2019, 09:53 AM
the classification has to do with how fast the bike can power itself. ebikes can go just as fast as a non motorized bike while coasting. It makes more sense if you realize that the purpose of these proposed classifications are to avoid licensing/insurance. Otherwise an ebike would have to meet motorcycle regulations. I hope most people can see why motor vehicles should be regulated.

I recently watched a video of someone riding an ebike that was so overpowered the rider was passing cars on the flat. Obviously a motorcycle, and should have to meet the requirements for one

Ralph
12-30-2019, 11:40 AM
When I bought my wife her Electra Townie GO E bike....E assist only.....I was told by our local bike shop where I bought it that if it had a throttle....it was considered to be a motor vehicle.....and thus illegal on our local trails where my wife rides.

Hers is 250 watt mid motor....with no throttle. Most of the 500 watt and up rear hub motor drives I have seen have a throttle.

Don't think any of this is enforced, but that makes sense to me. Pedal assist only under 20 is still a bike. Put a throttle on it, and more power.....then register it as a motor vehicle. And the signs clearly say on our trails.....NO motor vehicles.

And....IMHO powerful E bikes with a throttle do not mix well with distracted pedestrians, walkers, and joggers. I keep mentioning our trail system because our trails are like mini highways, transportation corridors, with all kinds of traffic, and where motor vehicles are not allowed. To me....proper designation of these new bikes is important. I don't mind some rules.

bobdenver1961
12-30-2019, 12:28 PM
With the advancement of ebike technology, how could law enforcement even determine who has one?

Even in the Tour de France they can't even determine who has a motor in their bike! :banana: ;)

CAAD
12-30-2019, 12:32 PM
I always see a guy riding a smaller wheeled, step though throttled "ebike"....motorcycle. Blasting up and down the trails. E-assist is fine with me but the speed of that thing he needs to be on the roads and not buzzing past people on a multi-use trail at 20+mph.

Most people that come in for a test ride can hardly control a bike under their own power confidently. Then they get on a pedal-assist ebike that can double their speed, yeah they go down hard.