PDA

View Full Version : OT - quiet simple ‘alarm’ clocks?

d_douglas
12-27-2019, 12:59 AM
One of my many New Years was resolutions is to park my phone outside of our bedroom so I need to find an alarm clock to take the place of my iPhone :)

I am a light sleeper, so I have no problems waking up (thanks to having kids waking me up in the night for years)! My iPhone alarm is set at the lowest volume and I always hear it. I don’t want one of the ambient light type of alarms - I need a nice, soft, pleasant noise to wake me up.

I also hate seeing lights flashing at me all night long - so I DO NOT want illuminated numbers.

Basically, I feel like I just want a small generic box that quietly bleats out a sound just loud enough to wake me up. I guess it needs a clock of some sort so that I can cringe when I get tapped on the shoulder at 3am to say they peed the bed :) - I need to know how badly I am being punished ;)

Seriously, any thoughts on a simple, silent running, low volume alarm clock with a light sensitive display?

Someone here must have one?!?!

Dude
12-27-2019, 03:52 AM
I’ve found my best and least intrusive alarm clock is the vibrating alarm feature on my garmin watch.

There are also some alarm clocks that are dimmable so you could dim the numbers very low and not see the time.

Blue Jays
12-27-2019, 05:23 AM
What about an inexpensive digital alarm clock placed inside a shoebox...with a hole big enough to pass the cord to plug it into the wall?

R3awak3n
12-27-2019, 05:42 AM
cheap casio watch is what I would use if I used alarms. I seem to wake up before any of my alarms every time.

Peter P.
12-27-2019, 06:23 AM
When I was a kid, and through the military, and late into adulthood, I used a Westclox Big Ben or Baby Ben wind up clock. They worked and they lasted.

Until they were made in China and didn't.

I stubbornly went to my local drugstore and bought a $15 battery operated digital alarm clock. No winding, no ticking, and simple. It works.

Like this one.
(https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1406959/advance-lcd-alarm-clock.jsp?prdPV=28)

Mike Bryant
12-27-2019, 07:31 AM
Seiko makes an analog alarm clock (QHE143JLH, black; QHE143ALH, silver) that is really nice. Has a sweep second hand (ie. no click- click- click). Alarm function very easy to set from the front. Gentle LED face lights that allows sleep but can be seen at night, and brightens up is you press the snooze button. Amber LED when alarm function is disabled, green LED when alarm enabled. Large dial with hands that can easily be read across the bedroom. Takes 3 AA batteries.
Edit: Forgot to mention that the alarm is not obnoxious but starts out a gentle chirp that builds volume. I’ve never woke up mad at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallymann
12-27-2019, 08:03 AM
buy a cheap previous-gen iphone and tuck that in your nightstand as your alarm clock.

OtayBW
12-27-2019, 08:50 AM
One of my many New Years was resolutions is to park my phone outside of our bedroom so I need to find an alarm clock to take the place of my iPhone :)

I am a light sleeper, so I have no problems waking up (thanks to having kids waking me up in the night for years)! My iPhone alarm is set at the lowest volume and I always hear it. I don’t want one of the ambient light type of alarms - I need a nice, soft, pleasant noise to wake me up.

I also hate seeing lights flashing at me all night long - so I DO NOT want illuminated numbers.

Basically, I feel like I just want a small generic box that quietly bleats out a sound just loud enough to wake me up. I guess it needs a clock of some sort so that I can cringe when I get tapped on the shoulder at 3am to say they peed the bed :) - I need to know how badly I am being punished ;)

Seriously, any thoughts on a simple, silent running, low volume alarm clock with a light sensitive display?

Why don't you just run down to Target or someplace similar and pick out a clock radio or something that works for you??

oldpotatoe
12-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Digital watch...??

Idris Icabod
12-27-2019, 09:14 AM
I've been through loads until I got an Amazon spot. Really easy to set (by voice), has a million wake up choices (I use some guys talking). Display auto dims at a preset time. It does way more than what I use it for but as an alarm clock it is perfect.

jonbek
12-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Easy;

https://www.braun-clocks.com/clocks/classic.html

ORMojo
12-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Got my 10 year old one of these for Christmas. She has never had a bedside clock before, and now loves this. Has the ability to do a lot, so not necessarily simple, but can operate in very simple modes as well. Definitely a very simple clean appearance. Now considering getting one for our bedside.

Found ours for $40 on sale, so shop around.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-clock

d_douglas
12-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Why don't you just run down to Target or someplace similar and pick out a clock radio or something that works for you??

I’m not looking for that :). I don’t want radio, internet, etc. Just a soft beeping sound. The iPhone is my go-to but I want to rid myself of the temptation to surf the web/send email plus I do t want wireless in our bedroom.

Blue Jays
12-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Perhaps a classic upright grandfather clock with hourly chimes.

notsew
Easy;

https://www.braun-clocks.com/clocks/classic.html

Yep. Good choice.

I have one of these:
[URL="https://www.marathonwatch.com/collections/alarm/products/mini-non-ticking-analog-alarm-clock-with-auto-back-light-and-snooze-function"]

I got it for the same reason you are talking about, trying not to look at my phone. I think it is about perfect for my needs. Good size. The snooze button illuminates the face (you can also set it to be lit all the time). Alarm isn't too loud and the big red button makes it very clear as to whether your alarm is set or not. Also, it doesn't tick, which would drive me insane.

$30 bucks on amazon.

OtayBW
I’m not looking for that :). I don’t want radio, internet, etc. Just a soft beeping sound. The iPhone is my go-to but I want to rid myself of the temptation to surf the web/send email plus I do t want wireless in our bedroom.They do typically work with either the radio or a beeping sound. Good luck with your hunt...

d_douglas
12-27-2019, 10:37 AM
I hate loud beeping etc, and few seem to go down to a ‘whisper beep’. I think there are a few that start out nearly silent and increase in volume over time...

AngryScientist
12-27-2019, 10:55 AM
i mean, for dead simple, you can just buy a simple digital watch. about 18 bucks and will last for years, beep quietly and emit no light noise, and take up very little room on a nightstand, less so if you remove the band.

https://casiocdn.com/casio-v2/resource/images/products/watches/large/F91W-1_large.png

another option, since you liked your old system, is to just buy a used old iphone, not connect it to wifi or put a sim card in it and use it as a "dumb" alarm.

buddybikes
12-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Tony T
12-27-2019, 03:35 PM
I don't understand the need to park your phone outside the bedroom.
Why not use the phones Do Not Disturb features? This has the benefit of allowing contacts you choose to 'get through' to you in an emergency.

Peter B
12-27-2019, 04:03 PM
PM sent.

d_douglas
12-27-2019, 04:43 PM
I don't understand the need to park your phone outside the bedroom.
Why not use the phones Do Not Disturb features? This has the benefit of allowing contacts you choose to 'get through' to you in an emergency.

Those are good reasons. Mine is lack of will to set it aside. I have tried with some success but when tired / bored / busy - I tend to lay there looking at it until 11pm - bad choice!

Anyways, in the same spirit of just not having ice cream around to reduce my ice cream consumption, I don’t want the phone in bedroom for the same reasons.

Call me weak, but it’s a move in the right direction for me!

Tony T
12-27-2019, 05:58 PM
I thought that might be why (I do the same ;)) …but I like to be reachable from family 24/7 (it it's not in the bedroom, I don't hear the ring)

73Bronco
12-28-2019, 04:23 AM
I’ve found my best and least intrusive alarm clock is the vibrating alarm feature on my garmin watch.

You just changed my life! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DrewK
12-28-2019, 04:26 AM

There are also some alarm clocks that are dimmable so you could dim the numbers very low and not see the time.

I have been doing this for 5-6 years. Currently I use a Garmin Fenix 5. Would be way overkill for an alarm only - I use it for other things too. Best part is that my alarm no longer wakes my wife up. She is a very light sleeper. I am not.

It buzzes on my wrist, I slink out of bed, she doesn’t wake up, everybody happy happy happy.

I leave my phone on the bathroom counter, with a second alarm set for about 5 minutes after my watch alarm. If I go to bed and for whatever reason forget to set the watch, I have the phone as a backup. I have set two alarms for 20 years, after missing work start once, always set two. It’s saved me a couple times, but it’s very rare.

I have all of the other notifications on the iPhone set to silent between the hours of 9pm and 4am. Typically I go to bed between 9 and 9:30, wake up between 4:30 and 5.

tuscanyswe
12-28-2019, 05:34 AM
Those are good reasons. Mine is lack of will to set it aside. I have tried with some success but when tired / bored / busy - I tend to lay there looking at it until 11pm - bad choice!

Anyways, in the same spirit of just not having ice cream around to reduce my ice cream consumption, I don’t want the phone in bedroom for the same reasons.

Call me weak, but it’s a move in the right direction for me!

Man now i enve you. Playing with your phone untill 11pm is a problem for you.. Man i dare not describe my situation in this regard even .)

Ttx1
12-28-2019, 05:38 AM
iPhone charges inside my nightstand drawer.
Apple Watch charges on a stand in clock mode and only lights up when I touch it.
Both in silent mode, and all notifications off from 8pm to 6am.

I also have an Amadana analog alarm clock from Japan that has an amazing soft backlit glow when you touch the top.

https://cdn.remodelista.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/img/sub/amadana__20__alarm__20__clock__20__white.jpg

The Amadana replaced years of using Braun alarm clocks.

I also like the old iPhone idea - reduce ewaste and use one of the display modes that shows time and weather when charging, just what you need to start the day.

Nomadmax
12-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Get a cat.

CO_Hoya
12-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Or a programmable thermostat. The sound of the system coming on in the morning wake me up.

Get a cat.