PDA

View Full Version : ~5-day "credit card" rides in N. America....suggestions??

big shanty
01-02-2007, 08:31 PM
One of my friends and I just started talking about doing a point to point, epic bike ride this summer. We haven't thought through many "trivial" details like where, how, or exactly when but we are thinking it would be all about
packing light, staying in cheap motels, maybe 60-100 miles per
day for ~4-6 days. He is in San Francisco, and I am in Seattle. Any suggestions?? Rides in the Pacific Northwest or NorCal are the obvious starting points, but I'm seeking recommendations for any rides that would fit with the above criteria, anywhere in North America. What have you got?

Xyzzy
01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.geocities.com/b-m-b/quads.html

Don't know if they will have it in 07, since 07 is PBP.

dauwhe
01-02-2007, 08:48 PM
No BMB or Quads this year due to PBP.

The future is uncertain, as the fabulous race organizers have gracefully retired.

I did Quads in 2005, and it was quite the adventure, although quite civilized! Nothing like stopping for a fancy sit-down breakfast during a 120-mile day!

Dave

dauwhe
01-02-2007, 08:49 PM
You might want to think about riding the Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies. It's been called the best bike trip in the world, and the scenery is extraordinary. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Dave

big shanty
01-02-2007, 09:08 PM
You might want to think about riding the Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies. It's been called the best bike trip in the world, and the scenery is extraordinary. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Dave

That sounds pretty good!

coylifut
01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I know you said point to point, but how about a loop from Seattle, crossing over to Vancouver island, over to the mainland and then East towards the Victorian town of Kelowna and then back through the Okanagon. It gets quite remote, but there's enough hotels to make it work.

bcm119
01-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Several years ago I did a mini tour (3 days) in Humboldt county that was spectacular. I was living in southern Calif. at the time and it was about 5 hrs north of the bay area iirc. I put together a loop that included the Lost Coast, the redwoods, and the steep passes in between. You could easily extend the loop to 5 days. That area is really interesting because it contains some sharply contrasting landscapes within a small area, and its very steep and challenging. You ride along some of the most remote coastline in the lower 48, across high grassy coastal headlands, and down into giant Redwood forests...and if you like beer, there are some widely spaced hole-in-the-wall places that serve some tasty norcal beers along the way. The route is an extension of the "tour of the unknown coast" century, which starts in Ferndale and goes through Honeydew and follows the Matole river for a while. PM me if you're interested in the route. Sorry for the ramble...but those 3 days may be the best 3 days I've had on a bike.

oracle
01-03-2007, 02:14 AM
dude -

sr 20

tv_vt
01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
"The Icefields Parkway (the road) is open all year but the few buildings (2) and services (gas station, Snocoach tour and visitor centre) along it's entire length are closed from Oct - May.... so fill up with gas prior to leaving.... "

You could make a great trip out here in the Northeast!

saab2000
01-03-2007, 09:43 AM
"The Icefields Parkway (the road) is open all year but the few buildings (2) and services (gas station, Snocoach tour and visitor centre) along it's entire length are closed from Oct - May.... so fill up with gas prior to leaving.... "

You could make a great trip out here in the Northeast!

I have to admit from my flying that this sounds like a terrific idea. I am becoming a reluctant easterner by force, but some of the places actually seem quite nice and like they would have great riding, especially in the summer. Vermont, New Hampshire and rural New York look especially inviting, at least from the air. I am not sure about Maine. We go to Bangor and it seems awful desolate there. That can be a great thing too.

I think cycling in Vermont must be nice. Lotsa hills.

RABikes2
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Vermont, New Hampshire and rural New York look especially inviting, I think cycling in Vermont must be nice. Lotsa hills.
These areas have given me some of the best memories for wonderful cycling times. Vermont is just plain awesome, New Hampshire is great fun, and upstate New York (outside of Saratoga Springs-Adirondacks) would be great to revisit and have a little more time to explore.
RA

ChrisK
01-03-2007, 10:38 AM
This is an absolutely great ride:

http://bikewashington.org/canal/

See also:

http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2006/10/co-canal-trail.html

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7618/732/400/Lead%20shot.jpg

CNY rider
01-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm planning on doing something along those lines next summer. Starting near Cooperstown NY and ending up at Stowe VT. I'm familiar with most of the route in between so if you're coming east I'd be happy to help out and maybe even catch a few miles with you.

72gmc
01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
dude -

sr 20

Which state, Oracle? I just wiki'd SR 20 for Washington and California and they both look pretty interesting.

oracle
01-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Which state, Oracle? I just wiki'd SR 20 for Washington and California and they both look pretty interesting.

i was thinking wa.

J.Greene
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I've wanted to do the complete Blue Ride Parkway.I have ridden from the Virginia border to Asheville NC, but not in the same trip. It would make a wonderful 5-6 days.

JG

OldDog
01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.pedalpa.com/skyline_fr.htm

Xyzzy
01-03-2007, 12:07 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7618/732/400/Lead%20shot.jpgIs that José Rujano in the lead?

72gmc
01-03-2007, 12:57 PM
I've dreamed of a credit-card tour that takes me from Seattle to my cousin's place in Montana with a minimum of miles on redneck raceways...

Too Tall
01-03-2007, 01:15 PM
No brainer for me pal. VC to San Fran.

pdonk
01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I am not sure about Maine. We go to Bangor and it seems awful desolate there. That can be a great thing too.

Bangor is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, however the scenery is pretty good and the terrain is prety hillly around it.

Now for a ride that would be interesting and take a few days would be to ride ride north on 9(the airline) to Calais (about 100miles), stay over then return on US Rte 1 along the shore through a million little seaside towns

OR continue up to Saint John NB, take the ferrry across to digby, ride down to Yarmouth, NS then take the ferry back across to Bar Harbour, then ride back to Bangor for the flight out.

tv_vt
01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
You could contact the Green Mountain Bicycle Club, Killington-Pico Cycling Club and the Mad River Riders (all have websites) and the Littleton NH Bike Shop to get ideas on routes in VT and NH. Great climbs include Appalachian Gap, Smuggler's Notch, Middlebury and Brandon Gap in VT (stay off route 4). Route 5 and 10 in VT and NH are great Connecticut River routes. The White Mountain area in NH is great bikin country, too.

Thom

Deb
01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
some friends and myself just rode the Natchez trace from Nashville, Tenn. to Natchez Miss...wow...we did it in the fall, colors and different eco-systems were remarkable...we only did 60-70 miles a day and camped, but there are lots of other options...you feel as if you are literally moved back in time..the history is amazing, and the ride is easy...it is about 500 miles total...good luck

Cinci Jim
01-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Always wanted to try "La Route Verte" in Quebec.

Vancouverdave
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
In Washington state, a full or partial circling of the Olympic Peninsula would fill the bill. We did it two years ago as an organized Cascade BC tour. PM me if you'd like scans of the route sheets as they used some beautiful roads to avoid the busiest stretches of Hwy 20 near Anacortes, and a bad stretch of US 101 west of Port Angeles.

billrick
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey, Deb. That is awesome. That ride has been on my must-do list for a while. I'd be doing it with my 65 y.o. dad. Any trouble with auto traffic? If you had to pick a 3 or 4 day stretch, which area would you do?

Many thanks!

:)

some friends and myself just rode the Natchez trace from Nashville, Tenn. to Natchez Miss...wow...we did it in the fall, colors and different eco-systems were remarkable...we only did 60-70 miles a day and camped, but there are lots of other options...you feel as if you are literally moved back in time..the history is amazing, and the ride is easy...it is about 500 miles total...good luck