PDA

View Full Version : Got passed by a trike today

buddybikes
12-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Oh well, least I was got out there.

Bentley
12-26-2019, 11:32 AM
I see both Electric and Gas modified trikes. I see a lady on one and my guess is her “commute” is at least 40 mi. If you can’t afford a car, or have insurance problems might be a good solution. Getting passed by one of these is nothing to worry about. 😀

biker72
12-26-2019, 11:54 AM
On my last trip to Bentonville, I was passed by a trike going up a fairly steep grade on a MUT. I caught up with him at a stoplight and we started talking...bikes and trails of course.

His trike is electric powered. He took me on a scenic tour of Bentonville and surrounding area. Unfortunately his bike controller started acting up and had to call his wife to come get him. My Garmin 1000 kept track of the route because I had no idea where I was...:D

C40_guy
12-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Thought it might have been a vintage Bob Jackson racing trike!

joosttx
12-26-2019, 12:02 PM
Are you in Dallas, Tx? My Dad shreds his trike out there.

buddybikes
12-26-2019, 02:31 PM
>Thought it might have been a vintage Bob Jackson racing trike!

If it was, I would of lasoo'd the guy, and taken it!

Blue Jays
12-26-2019, 02:36 PM
"...Thought it might have been a vintage Bob Jackson racing trike!..."
Remember those crazy things? How fun! It has been years since I have seen one.

C40_guy
12-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Remember those crazy things? How fun! It has been years since I have seen one.

Just crazy!

https://tricycleassociation.org.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k-o2-1IA4A

zmudshark
12-26-2019, 02:54 PM
I regret passing on a Nobilette racing trike a few years back.

jamesdak
12-26-2019, 02:59 PM
There was one for sale locally at a good price but it was gone before I could get off work to snatch it up...one day.

Ralph
12-26-2019, 03:57 PM
We have a large Club of them here. I see them all over the place. They have a lot of fun.

Many of the riders are people who....for one reason or another.....can't sit on a road bike saddle any more. Some E powered. Or they have some balance problems. Have even seen tandem Trikes...one E powered.

Have thought about getting a trike, but have no way to transport it and other bikes same time. There is a rack made for 2" receiver that holds one. Or some just roll them into backs of pickups, mini vans, or large utes. There is a long trail near my home, but hard to ride a trike down the sidewalk to get there.

Am seriously thinking about a 2 wheel bent. If wheel base not over 50", that would fit on my 1UP rack with wife's E bike. Could ride local trails, or load up and go anywhere I want.

Bottom line....Trikes can be fun, can be easier on the body, and the riders I see seem to really enjoy them. We see lots of saddle comfort questions on here from aging road bike riders.....that may be signs of some pelvic change happening instead of a saddle fit issue. My Orthopedic Doc who is an avid cyclist himself....sees it all the time....calls it old man's butt. And it doesn't usually get better if you try out 50 different saddles.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2019, 07:08 AM
Oh well, least I was got out there.

3 wheel 'bent'? Downhill? None-electric scooter?
Go uphll with him and say adios..:)

ariw
12-27-2019, 08:18 AM
In our neck of the woods, it is the Mennonite community that has these, usually electric. Many of my rides take me through their neighborhood, it was disorienting the first few times one of them flew past me and I was doing 17-19, until I saw the motors.

-Ari

verticaldoug
12-28-2019, 05:49 AM
I was passed by the one-legged guy in Richmond Park London with his crutches strapped to the side of his bike. I was about to become seriously depressed until I noticed the bike was electric. Yeah, it is disorientating.

FWIW, he is commuting to work. I see him every once and awhile crossing the park in the morning.

jamesdak
12-28-2019, 08:28 AM
In our neck of the woods, it is the Mennonite community that has these, usually electric. Many of my rides take me through their neighborhood, it was disorienting the first few times one of them flew past me and I was doing 17-19, until I saw the motors.

-Ari

We have a large Mennonite community where I grew up in VA. They used horse and buggy instead of a car but had some of the most modern tractors and such you could get....sorta funny. Salt of the earth people though.