PDA

View Full Version : Please don’t beat me up - yes another tire question.

Clancy
12-26-2019, 08:45 AM
I know this has been beat to death but please forgive me. And, to my defense, tire technology is changing faster now then I ever remember, with new tires and new advances coming out every few months seemingly.

Sometime back I stashed away some Vittoria Open Corsas when they were being blown out, my favorite riding tire in spite of its love of punctures. I’m now at the end of that stash.

What is a solid replacement? Looking for a tubeless tire in a 25c-28c. High performing, quality ride similar to the Open Corsa.

I’ve always been of a mind that life is too short to ride cheap tires. Plus as we all know, a bicycle’s ride quality is overwhelming impacted by the ride quality of the tires.

Are the new Goodyear’s the go-to? Schwalbe seems to get a lot of praise. Vittoria?

I started my research by looking at various manufacturers websites and quickly became overwhelmed. Figured I’d go to the experts.

What’s the latest and greatest solid performing tubeless tires?

OtayBW
12-26-2019, 08:59 AM
I've been riding Vittoria G+ Graphene v1.0 for some time now. I understand that the v.2 of this thing has reduced rolling resistance, better wear life, etc. I've been pretty happy, but I'll be re-shoeing on of mine with v2 in a couple of weeks. Oops - You're looking for tubeless....

dlbracey
12-26-2019, 09:28 AM
Conti GP5000 TL seems to be the most common recommendation, I upgraded from the GP4000 to the 5000TL when I went tubeless. Have them in both 25 and 28 and like them a lot.

The Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 TLR has the lowest rolling resistance tested and might be similar to what you've been riding.

Excel sports tends to have both well priced.

R3awak3n
12-26-2019, 09:41 AM
If you like the corsa but think they are too prone to flats then get the corsa control. I feel no difference between both but definitely have had less flats on the control. I know I will probably jinx myself but control in the back (after a few flats on the corsa I replaced it with control) and no flats so far. Still have corsa in front but usually not many flats in front tire.

false_Aest
12-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Corsa Control or GP5000 tubeless.

AngryScientist
12-26-2019, 11:23 AM
if you were a fan of the old open corsas, the new G+ corsas are a little nicer. they will suit you just fine.

makoti
12-26-2019, 12:28 PM
I run the Conti 5000TL. Very nice tires, so far. About 800 miles on them. If you aren't running tubeless, I'd expect the non-tubeless version to be just as nice, a bit lighter and cheaper.

robertbb
12-26-2019, 05:04 PM
If you don't ride much in the wet, and are happy to ride a bit more cautiously if it does rain... give the Veloflex Corsa/Master a go. I find them to be brilliant dry weather tyres... very comfortable, quick and grippy. Nice, minimal branding and as a bonus they have just been updated with a SPS (Side Protection System) which makes them the only open tubulars I am aware of that are designed to be used with carbon clinchers and no risk of tearing the sidewall.

Be aware the 28mm measures 26.5 on a 17c (internal) rim.

berserk87
12-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Beat you up? I welcome another post actually related to cycling.

That's the purported purpose of this forum. Or it used to be.

FlashUNC
12-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Vittoria makes a Corsa tubeless version now. Get that.

Clancy
12-27-2019, 06:39 AM
I had been leaning towards the new Vittoria Corsa’s and that seems to be the consensus. The Control seems to be worth a try.
Thanks for the feedback

ariw
12-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Continental GP5000 TL's are the bomb, I really loved the ride of the Corsa speeds, but they are a delicate tire, to say it nicely. BRR has them at the top of their list and they are on sale at Biketiresdirect

-Ari

OtayBW
12-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Continental GP5000 TL's are the bomb, I really loved the ride of the Corsa speeds, but they are a delicate tire, to say it nicely. BRR has them at the top of their list and they are on sale at Biketiresdirect

-Ari
Data point of 1: I didn't have a single flat all this year on Corsa v1 and only one other that I can recall in 2018. Never had a problem with them, myself.

ariw
12-27-2019, 08:48 AM
My experience was specific to the speed version, which has a very thin tread. I know that the standard and control versions are both thicker and heavier, but haven't tried them. If I remember correctly, only the speed version came in tubeless for v1, v2 now has TLR for all 3.

-Ari