PDA

View Full Version : Facebook scammer advice ...

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 10:21 AM
I recently dealt with a (potential) Facebook scammer. No way to conclusively prove that, because I wouldn't conclude the deal. He was interested in my group set and asked some perfunctory questions such as "if the brakes were included."

No haggling about price, and no questions. He asked to pay with a cashiers check, which I declined. Then he asked about a money order, which I also declined. I told him PayPal was the only method of payment I'd accept, and that I would knock some money off the price. Never heard back from him. He has what appears to be a legitimate profile, with a few pictures, many friends, and biographical detail.

I'm not an avid Facebook user. I only use it to buy and sell things, in fact. Any way to alert others to this guy? Or should I just let it go?

Hilltopperny
12-25-2019, 10:30 AM
I recently dealt with a (potential) Facebook scammer. No way to conclusively prove that, because I wouldn't conclude the deal. He was interested in my group set and asked some perfunctory questions such as "if the brakes were included."

No haggling about price, and no questions. He asked to pay with a cashiers check, which I declined. Then he asked about a money order, which I also declined. I told him PayPal was the only method of payment I'd accept, and that I would knock some money off the price. Never heard back from him. He has what appears to be a legitimate profile, with a few pictures, many friends, and biographical detail.

I'm not an avid Facebook user. I only use it to buy and sell things, in fact. Any way to alert others to this guy? Or should I just let it go?

Certainly has the marks of a scam! Alert whoever the moderator is of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhespenheide
12-25-2019, 10:42 AM
That doesn't automatically sound like a scam to me, although I might steer clear myself, too.

Plenty of people don't like PayPal, and the proliferation of "mini-groups" that are just shift kits mean that asking whether brakes are included could be a fair question.

Back in the .usenet days, we used to accept personal checks once they cleared...

AngryScientist
12-25-2019, 10:47 AM
i think that deal would be OK, if the buyer agreed to dealing on your terms.

if you accepted the cashiers check, and if it was from a major bank, such as chase, wells fargo, etc - and the buyer agreed that you would receive the check, and cash it before mailing the goods, i dont see how you can get burned, as long as the money is in your pocket before the goods leave your possession?

on the other hand, rational people are capable of conversations, if the buyer can not be bothered to at least explain why he/she will not use paypal, than that's a red flag and you are better off not doing business with them and save the potential hassle.

dem
12-25-2019, 10:53 AM
i
if you accepted the cashiers check, and if it was from a major bank, such as chase, wells fargo, etc - and the buyer agreed that you would receive the check, and cash it before mailing the goods, i dont see how you can get burned, as long as the money is in your pocket before the goods leave your possession?

It can take weeks for a fake/bad check to actually bounce, and you will be on the hook for that money AND the bounced check fees.

Although in this scam it is typical for them to send you a check for MORE than what the item is, and then ask for you to send them the difference. Once they knew he wouldn't take a check at all, the jig was up.

AngryScientist
12-25-2019, 10:54 AM
It can take weeks for a fake/bad check to actually bounce, and you will be on the hook for that money AND the bounced check fees.

a personal check maybe, but not a cashiers check, as the OP mentioned.

i think a major bank should be able to verify the authenticity of a cashiers check almost immediately.

A cashier's check is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds and signed by a cashier. Cashier's checks are treated as guaranteed funds because the bank, rather than the purchaser, is responsible for paying the amount. They are commonly required for real estate and brokerage transactions.

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 10:57 AM
i think that deal would be OK, if the buyer agreed to dealing on your terms.

on the other hand, rational people are capable of conversations, if the buyer can not be bothered to at least explain why he/she will not use paypal, than that's a red flag and you are better off not doing business with them and save the potential hassle.

A caveat: I am not the savviest guy in the world when it comes to these sort of things. It didn't sound right to me, though. So I did a little bit of research on accepting checks/money orders, etc... and a whole bunch of info popped up. Basically, the check takes awhile to wind its way through the system, and when it finally does, the bank could declare it null and void and you're out the money. And the goods, which have already shipped.

Here is article on how cashiers checks have become much more sophisticated, and even bank tellers are fooled: https://wallethub.com/edu/cashiers-check-scams/16192/

joosttx
12-25-2019, 11:04 AM
If the dude can get a cashiers check he can bring cash unless he is thinking you are trying to scam him. You admit you don’t post much on facebook. He might of had a negative opinion of you for no other reason than he doesn’t know you.

Veloo
12-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Agree with Joosttx. If he looked you up and saw that you had no/few friends and little to nothing on your timeline/ profile then he may be wondering if you're legit.

If the dude can get a cashiers check he can bring cash unless he is thinking you are trying to scam him. You admit you don’t post much on facebook. He might of had a negative opinion of you for no other reason than he doesn’t know you.

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Agree with Joosttx. If he looked you up and saw that you had no/few friends and little to nothing on your timeline/ profile then he may be wondering if you're legit.

Well, that just doesn't ring true. Leaving alone the fact I have plenty of photos (they just haven't been updated) and friends, why would he immediately volunteer to send over a check for the full amount. No questions asked. I could still cash it and he'd be out the money right? Am I missing something? I might be off base. But this certainly smells like a scam.

Edit: Not that this is indicative of anything, but I actually have way more photos than the person who contacted me. He has exactly three.

unterhausen
12-25-2019, 11:23 AM

i think a major bank should be able to verify the authenticity of a cashiers check almost immediately.this is a fundamental building block of the cash back scam. You get a cashiers check, bank says it's good, then later find out it's not. I have no idea how that works. This happened to a local dog breeder, $25000 worth of dogs later, they found out the check was no good after checking with the bank before accepting the check.

I'm pretty sure the cash back scam has evolved as more people have become aware of how it works. Now a lot of scammers are just out to steal merchandise because cash back is a giveaway. I'm sure the people that delete spam on this board have seen spammers that want to sell cashiers checks and money orders.

Somebody tried this on one of the grad students. I told him how the scam worked so he called the cops, but they weren't interested in such scams at the time, now they have become enlightened.

Veloo
12-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Ah, I just thought you meant you set up a FB account mainly for the Marketplace but avoided all the other stuff.
I usually go over seller profiles - even the ones on Kijiji. Especially if they only converse with single word replies.
If I don't see many connections, it makes me wonder if they're just new or scamming.

Well, that just doesn't ring true. Leaving alone the fact I have plenty of photos (they just haven't been updated) and friends, why would he immediately volunteer to send over a check for the full amount. No questions asked. I could still cash it and he'd be out the money right? Am I missing something? I might be off base. But this certainly smells like a scam.

Edit: Not that this is indicative of anything, but I actually have way more photos than the person who contacted me. He has exactly three.

Hai H. Ho
12-25-2019, 11:37 AM

i think a major bank should be able to verify the authenticity of a cashiers check almost immediately.

Not necessarily true about the major bank having the ability to verify the cashiers check. I was a realtor years ago and a situation came up involving a cashiers check payable to the title company / builder. Long story short, it was a scam and legal nightmare that dragged on for over 8 months. The party were long gone before it came to light.

Hilltopperny
12-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Basically a cashiers check or money order is sent. The bank clears it if you have the funds in your account and then weeks later you find out that the check or money order is no good after the goods are sent. Never take anything other than cash or from a source such as PayPal, Venmo and the like.

AngryScientist
12-25-2019, 11:56 AM
interesting, thank you for the feedback guys.

i guess i had assumed that a cashiers check was guaranteed by the bank, and in today's digital age, the likes of chase and BOA should be able to verify their internal currency immediately, but it sounds like that is not the case.

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 12:00 PM
Basically a cashiers check or money order is sent. The bank clears it if you have the funds in your account and then weeks later you find out that the check or money order is no good after the goods are sent. Never take anything other than cash or from a source such as PayPal, Venmo and the like.

Well, the whole thing is weird. The guy in question has very few pics, but his "wife" has plenty, with plenty of friends. Can you "hack" someone's FB account?

Hilltopperny
12-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Well, the whole thing is weird. The guy in question has very few pics, but his "wife" has plenty, with plenty of friends. Can you "hack" someone's FB account?

Yes, people hack facebooks accounts all of the time.

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Yes, people hack facebooks accounts all of the time.

Geez. I had no clue.

Hilltopperny
12-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Geez. I had no clue.

I won’t deal with anybody if I get a bad vibe from the transaction. Trust your inner self as you did when things didn’t seem right and you will be fine.
Unfortunately anything online is susceptible to being hacked.

Olison3
12-25-2019, 12:17 PM
I get a lot of scammers using cashier checks payment when selling stuffs on local classified and Craigslist. I’d ignore and steer clear of those transactions.

https://www.wiyre.com/craigslist-cashiers-check-scam-how-to-spot-and-avoid/

joosttx
12-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Sounds like you are an avid FB user then. It’s ok to be so. When you wrote I use it only to sell and buy things before you wrote I am not an avid facebook user I took that to mean I only use Facebook when I sell and buy things which isn’t that much.

I have had great success on Instagram but I have a strong network of followers who tip others off to deals I offer. To me that’s the key is having a network.

XXtwindad
12-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Sounds like you are an avid FB user then. It’s ok to be so. When you wrote I use it only to sell and buy things before you wrote I am not an avid facebook user I took that to mean I only use Facebook when I sell and buy things which isn’t that much.

I have had great success on Instagram but I have a strong network of followers who tip others off to deals I offer. To me that’s the key is having a network.

I meant exactly what I said. I "rejoined" FB for the first time in four years to buy a bike. I haven't posted on the site for years, nor have I looked at it. And with all the stuff I've just learned (plus the fact I'm done buying bikes) I see no reason to go back.

joosttx
12-25-2019, 12:30 PM
I meant exactly what I said. I "rejoined" FB for the first time in four years to buy a bike. I haven't posted on the site for years, nor have I looked at it. And with all the stuff I've just learned (plus the fact I'm done buying bikes) I see no reason to go back.

Well that (being off of FB for 4 years then reappearing to sell stuff)
could be viewed as a little shady from the buyers end.... this guy who hasn’t been active for 4 years is all of a sudden selling stuff. Was his account hacked. Did he develop a crack habit in those 4 years? That’s my point. Consider the buyers viewpoint. Not saying I’m right just offering another plausible reality to the interaction.

parris
12-25-2019, 12:46 PM
I've seen a number of people scammed with fake bank checks, utility checks, money orders, wire transfers, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't matter what the form is either. I've also seen a number of people that were on the ball bring in the fake checks etc to turn in and make our detectives aware of something new that may be popping up.

Some of the scam checks are shockingly realistic looking. They have watermarks, security strips, micro printing and more. When our guys get them they do what they can BUT the scammers are so numerous that there's a very low probability of them ever actually getting caught.

My favorite person that came in was lady who's proudly in her early 80's and she was a pistol! She actually called the scammers before coming in and got some info by stringing THEM along! When I called it in the Sgt and one of his best guys came up as much to hear her as much as to get the info. That day did not suck.

m_sasso
12-25-2019, 01:42 PM
In the early days of Paypal there were plenty of scams/fraudulent transactions that accrued/occurred, plenty of people lost money, not so much currently, however some loophole will be found by the dishonest and the cycle will begin again. There is still plenty of counterfeit cash and it has been around longer than all tender. Nothing is perfect, pick your poison with caution and try to be aware what you are getting into!

likebikes
12-25-2019, 02:13 PM
i would imagine your local branch of the fbi, loval police station, and possibly the irs might be interested. they take things like this very, very seriously.

Llewellyn
12-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Just get the buyer to EFT the funds directly to your bank account.

C40_guy
12-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Just get the buyer to EFT the funds directly to your bank account.

I wouldn't be too interested in giving a buyer (suspected scammer) detailed bank account information.

In my experience, serious buyers are willing to jump through some minor hoops to close a deal on something they want.

Happy to hold something if they send a small deposit, bring cash, etc... Not at all interested in jumping through the buyer's hoops...as it's almost always scammy.

There's always another buyer... :)

Llewellyn
12-25-2019, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't be too interested in giving a buyer (suspected scammer) detailed bank account information.

Why not? If all they've got is your BSB and account number they can't get access to your account without the password.

Putting your bank details on an invoice is standard business practice here - do you think companies would do that if there was a risk? There are very few businesses (or individuals) who will deal with the hassle of a cheque these days.

duff_duffy
12-25-2019, 05:24 PM
On a side note if someone insists on check or money order do a USPS money order instead. I have done a few deals via USPS money orders for a few different reasons over time. Don’t ship until post office cashes for you. 100% secure for seller. Buyer has some protections that money can’t be stolen buy others and cashed.

chuckroast
12-25-2019, 07:14 PM
There's also Zelle, which does direct bank to bank transactions using your phone number or e-mail to validate. No account numbers are shown to the parties involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelle_(payment_service)

oldpotatoe
12-26-2019, 06:23 AM
Certainly has the marks of a scam! Alert whoever the moderator is of the group.

I donno about that..NOT on facebook but I have dealt with people that don't have a PP account and want to do the snail mail/paper $ route..Even some in the shop that didn't have a credit card..cash or check..and in 13 years only had one bad check..

Hilltopperny
12-26-2019, 06:30 AM
I donno about that..NOT on facebook but I have dealt with people that don't have a PP account and want to do the snail mail/paper $ route..Even some in the shop that didn't have a credit card..cash or check..and in 13 years only had one bad check..

It is easy to obtain a PayPal and folks pushing checks or money order over the internet for goods to be shipped away has been around for almost 20 years now. It is probably the oldest of the still run scams. If a buyer can’t pay through the proper outlets then it is likely a scam.

For reference I am not talking about this forum, but Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are huge and full of these types of scams. I have taken a personal check before from folks here and that I have met in person, but no way I am sending out my goods to somebody I don’t know with a Cashiers check/Money order that will clear because I have the funds in my account only to be told later by the bank that cleared it that the funds never went through.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2019, 06:37 AM
It is easy to obtain a PayPal and folks pushing checks or money order over the internet for goods to be shipped away has been around for almost 20 years now. It is probably the oldest of the still run scams. If a buyer can’t pay through the proper outlets then it is likely a scam.

For reference I am not talking about this forum, but Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are huge and full of these types of scams. I have taken a personal check before from folks here and that I have met in person, but no way I am sending out my goods to somebody I don’t know with a Cashiers check/Money order that will clear because I have the funds in my account only to be told later by the bank that cleared it that the funds never went through.

Not saying it ISN'T a scam but even in this 21st century I have dealt with people who don't have a PayPal account, not ALL have a credit card, is all.

Yes, the cashier's check/money order gig scam has been around a long time(I'll send you more than the amount, a 'friend' will pick up the item or send it..cashier's check bogus)....BUT..not trying to get into any gun discussion, but most online gun shops have a 'cash' option..that is either a cashier's check, postal money order or personal check..still.....

zambenini
12-26-2019, 06:48 AM
I solved this problem by deleting facebook, lol.

Venmo is another option. Same company as paypal but for younger people who think paypal is old school and don't realize it's the same thing.

buddybikes
12-26-2019, 06:49 AM
I see major business opportunity that act as middlemen for transactions. Probably an extention of a UPS store.

Hilltopperny
12-26-2019, 06:56 AM
Not saying it ISN'T a scam but even in this 21st century I have dealt with people who don't have a PayPal account, not ALL have a credit card, is all.

Yes, the cashier's check/money order gig scam has been around a long time(I'll send you more than the amount, a 'friend' will pick up the item or send it..cashier's check bogus)....BUT..not trying to get into any gun discussion, but most online gun shops have a 'cash' option..that is either a cashier's check, postal money order or personal check..still.....

Yes, I get it. I don’t think I had a PayPal account myself until a few years ago and do understand the cash business for certain items. I usually suspect something is up though if people are reluctant to come up with a plausible solution for payment of goods from a distance. Postal Money Order ,cashiers checks do exist and I have been wired funds western union as well.

Rada
12-26-2019, 08:28 AM
I solved this problem by deleting facebook, lol.

Venmo is another option. Same company as paypal but for younger people who think paypal is old school and don't realize it's the same thing.

Yep. The real scam is Facebook.

XXtwindad
12-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Yep. The real scam is Facebook.

Totally agree. A total time suck and a vehicle for carefully curated narcissism. And a great way to monetize your privacy.

Just received another "inquiry" regarding my SRAM Force groupset. This one was from someone whose profile made them look like an avid cyclist. "What size is it?" was the question. I'm convinced, based off the conversations here, that someone is hacking people's profiles.

Thankfully, the groupset sold to a Paceliner.

OtayBW
12-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Totally agree. A total time suck and a vehicle for carefully curated narcissism. And a great way to monetize your privacy.

Just received another "inquiry" regarding my SRAM Force groupset. This one was from someone whose profile made them look like an avid cyclist. "What size is it?" was the question. I'm convinced, based off the conversations here, that someone is hacking people's profiles.

Thankfully, the groupset sold to a Paceliner.
Not to mention that they harvest more information about you thn you'd like to know, and they constantly try to sell you crap based on your own profile and activity. Oh yeah - they are unable to regulate themselves with respect to misinformation.....and I'll stop there.

'Bringing the world together'...my keester....:butt:

charliedid
12-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Some people still use flip phones and ride bikes with DT shifters.

That said, if you are on Facebook or other outlets buying fairly high end consumer goods I don't think it's unreasonable in this day and age to also have an e-pay account.

That said, not having one does not a scammer or criminal make. I think it still possible to deal with a buyer who wants to use a cashiers check. I believe it's possible to request that the cashiers check come directly from the issuing bank vs the buyer. If the buyer won't do that then I think you have a red flag.

Like skateboarding, cashiers checks are not a crime.

mdeth1313
12-06-2022, 12:13 PM
I recently listed some stuff on facebook - in cycling groups and on marketplace and I have a buyer who offered a price that I accepted and they paid with paypal - not friends and family - I wouldn't ask anyone to do that.

I looked at their profile and it goes back to at least 2009, but the person has no friends. They are in the military and the address seems to match the name (and the person's spouse) when I searched it.

I think I'm just being paranoid as everything checks out except for the no friends on facebook -not even spouse or family, although they are in pictures and comments.

I'll probably ship with delivery confirmation just to be certain. I can't see an angle for a scam with how they paid and how everything went down.

anyone ever experience anything like this?

fmradio516
12-06-2022, 12:14 PM
I recently listed some stuff on facebook - in cycling groups and on marketplace and I have a buyer who offered a price that I accepted and they paid with paypal - not friends and family - I wouldn't ask anyone to do that.

I looked at their profile and it goes back to at least 2009, but the person has no friends. They are in the military and the address seems to match the name (and the person's spouse) when I searched it.

I think I'm just being paranoid as everything checks out except for the no friends on facebook -not even spouse or family, although they are in pictures and comments.

I'll probably ship with delivery confirmation just to be certain. I can't see an angle for a scam with how they paid and how everything went down.

anyone ever experience anything like this?

Only thing i can think of is that they complain to paypal that the item wasnt as described and they refund them

mdeth1313
12-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Only thing i can think of is that they complain to paypal that the item wasnt as described and they refund them

I thought of that, but usually I'd be able to get it back as part of it, even if I had to pay for shipping.

ToonaBP
12-06-2022, 01:07 PM
I received this money request the other day… !!?? Never heard of Jerod Stewart and use my account only a few times a year…

C40_guy
12-06-2022, 01:10 PM
I received this money request the other day… !!?? Never heard of Jerod Stewart and use my account only a few times a year…

"suspicious unlawfully activities"?

Right.

I'd be suspicious too.

Peter P.
12-06-2022, 07:42 PM
Here's a thought to weed out suspicious buyers:

Post your item but leave out details a prospective buyer would want to know.

In the ad, specifically say "please ask for specifics".

If they don't ask for those specs all bike geeks should know (crank length? chainring sizes?, etc.) but they ask generic questions instead, your spider senses should tingle.

Perhaps someone else could explain to me: I see a lot of ads on Facebook Marketplace that "Item Ships To You".

How secure and safe are these transactions? I'm pretty comfortable with eBay's protections but don't see how Facebook Marketplace protects both parties.

mdeth1313
12-06-2022, 07:52 PM
How secure and safe are these transactions? I'm pretty comfortable with eBay's protections but don't see how Facebook Marketplace protects both parties.

It seems ebay's protections lean heavily towards the buyer - lots of stories about the "extortion" after a sale is made.

As for facebook, I have no faith in them so I post my ads but will only accept payment to my paypal account, at least until facebook decides to shut that down.

bikeboy1
12-06-2022, 09:06 PM
I had a set of DA directmount rimbrakes on Pinkbike couple years ago and the buyer contacted me saying that he didnt like to use PP and didnt have an account to which I replied PP or nothing. He obviously wanted to do the etransfer thing but I refused that as well. Then he tried to explain how he had previous issues through PP and he was a lawyer from a city 2hrs away from me.
I then hit the scammer button on him and about a day later he replied that he had a PP account and agreed to use it finally. After I chatted with him I no longer suspected he was a scammer but maybe very impatient as he was building a bike that was sold but needed brakes or so he claimed.
I got my money no big deal but just goes to show that you should always keep your guard up.

oldpotatoe
12-07-2022, 06:02 AM

BOGUS, I have gotten a couple. Go to PP and delete it.

ToonaBP
12-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Here we go again…. Tis the season… I guess