PDA

View Full Version : Installation of CK baseplate onto fork

cyan
12-24-2019, 03:19 PM
About to install the Chris King baseplate/crown race (for NoThreadSet 1 1/8'' HS) onto a carbon fork using the X-Tools setting tool and adapters.

Do I simply apply some grease on the bottom of the steerer and whack the baseplate down using the setting tool? Anything else particular to note?

Happy holidays and thanks.

RobJ
12-24-2019, 03:21 PM
About to install the Chris King baseplate/crown race (for NoThreadSet 1 1/8'' HS) onto a carbon fork using the X-Tools setting tool and adapters.

Do I simply apply some grease on the bottom of the steerer and whack the baseplate down using the setting tool? Anything else particular to note?

I use the Park Tools setting tool but yes that’s the process. Just ensure you have the plate leveled at the bottom of the steerer when you start whacking and it’s not upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
12-25-2019, 06:13 AM

Nope, that's the drill. make sure the fork DOES need a fork crown race..

kevintice
12-25-2019, 08:57 AM
I’ve always supported the fork under the crown, not just standing it up on the tips of the fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo
12-25-2019, 10:43 AM
I’ve always supported the fork under the crown, not just standing it up on the tips of the fork.

Every article on how to install a fork crown race I've ever read has emphasized not standing the fork on its dropouts as you bang on the crown race so you are spot on with this one.

cmg
12-25-2019, 11:08 AM
put grease on the fork. put fork in the frig., put the crown race in hot water to let it expand. lol.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2019, 06:32 AM

I either wack the 'Park" tool on the floor or hold the fork in my hand and wack the tool with a hammer.

Rusty Luggs
12-26-2019, 10:27 AM
I either wack the 'Park" tool on the floor or hold the fork in my hand and wack the tool with a hammer.

This.