PDA

View Full Version : Administrative Issue

Peter P.
12-23-2019, 06:00 AM
How can I view my login password? Right now, all I see are the dots.

My Apple Keychain doesn't have it listed.

I want to add my login account to my iPod.

I know changing the password would be one solution, but I don't feel like doing that.

Or better yet, let me ask it this way: I've got an iPod and I want to access the same forums on my iPod that I access on my Mac. Is there any way to EASILY transfer my login credentials from the Mac to the iPod?

I'm going away for a couple weeks and the iPod will be my internet.

hollowgram5
12-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Is it saved in your browser? Sometimes browsers store passwords, and you might be able to look it up in there. I know Chrome holds it in the settings (search for passwords at top, click view saved passwords.)

Not sure which browser you are utilizing though...

unterhausen
12-23-2019, 12:19 PM
I assume you would know it if you aren't using autocomplete on your browser. Chrome makes you sign into your google account if you want to see your passwords. I think firefox will show it to you.

SpaceOdyssey
12-23-2019, 12:39 PM
You can always PM/email Keith A

kppolich
12-23-2019, 01:02 PM
If safari, you could sync across all devices. Same with chrome, sync all bookmarks and passwords.

djg21
12-23-2019, 02:10 PM
If you are using an Apple device (iPad or iPhone), go into Settings>Passwords & Accounts >Website & App Passwords. Scroll to the entry for “ThePaceline.net.” Click on the entry to see your username and password.

kramnnim
12-23-2019, 07:44 PM
...if a forum admin can see user passwords, something is wrong 😮

Peter P.
12-23-2019, 09:08 PM
I'm using an iPod Touch. While it uses Safari for a browser, I use Firefox instead.

There's nowhere in my Paceline account to view the password, as is true in either browser.

I'm trying to do the Sync-thing, but most instructions seem to be for phone to PC, not iPod to PC.

jtbadge
12-23-2019, 09:22 PM
...if a forum admin can see user passwords, something is wrong 😮

100% this. Let’s hope our passwords are encrypted.

auto_rock
12-25-2019, 08:45 AM
Could you perform a password reset and just have the new password in your keychain?

SpaceOdyssey
12-25-2019, 10:34 AM
I believe there is a “I forgot my password” tab at the login

But again, I would PM “Keith A” before trying anything that would lock you out

unterhausen
12-25-2019, 11:43 AM
not sure about here, but other vbulliten boards they reset your password and tell it to you. Then you have to reset it yourself.

Google tells me that vbulliten uses a double md5 hash + salt, which people say is reasonably secure if the password hash file is not obtained by the hackers. I think most breeches involve people getting to the hash file. In some cases with commercial sites, the hash has been really bad. That's why it's a good idea to use weird unique passwords and a password manager.

fkelly
12-26-2019, 03:37 PM
In some cases, (not all), you can highlight the dots that make up your password and do copy (ctrl-c) and then paste the results into an empty text field on your computer. Even into the body of a message. I can do that with Last Password, for instance in the password field for this site. If I go into the User CP of Paceline it doesn't work. The password field is protected from copy/paste.

Worth a try. Or just reset the darned thing and use a password manager.

Peter P.
12-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Or just reset the darned thing and use a password manager.

My Mac comes with Keychain as a password manager. Prior to upgrading my OS to El Capitan, Keychain would collect and store all my passwords automatically.

Now it doesn't do that.

I guess I should rephrase my problem: I want to sync my iPod's Safari browser to my Mac's browser. It's my understanding that will send all my passwords and bookmarks to my iPod. I tried it but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions?