PDA

View Full Version : Chris King not doing Campy hubs anymore?

robertbb
12-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Just read on another forum that Chris King has stopped doing Campagnolo compatible hubs.

Appears as though there has been no formal announcement, but all Campy products have been pulled from their site.

According to one poster the R45's had clearance issues with Campy 12 sp, and that was a precursor to all products being removed.

Any PL'ers with additional info or insight?

Black Dog
12-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Does not surprise me. They refused to make campy freehubs for a long time. They have never felt the need to make their hubs campy compatible.

Clean39T
12-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Good riddance.

Campy hubs are better anyway......

d_douglas
12-22-2019, 10:34 PM
I have a set and they’re nice,but I don’t think I’d buy Kings again. I just think they’re over rated... though nice.

CSKeller
12-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Good riddance.

Campy hubs are better anyway......You speak the truth Clean!!

Trying King hubs never crossed my mind. Campy hubs always work, look better and are faster. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
12-23-2019, 12:00 AM
You speak the truth Clean!!

Trying King hubs never crossed my mind. Campy hubs always work, look better and are faster. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As long as youre happy with 32 spoke wheels.

King barely made Campy hubs so nothing lost in this equation I think.

fignon's barber
12-23-2019, 04:54 AM
No loss, prefer White Industries across the board anyway. If Campagnolo would make a 24 and 28 hole, that would be a no brainer.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2019, 05:52 AM
No surpirse..better hub choices abound, whether it be a Campag or shimano cogset.

biker72
12-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Last set of Campy wheels I had built I used Record hubs. Never considered anything else.

tuscanyswe
12-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Considering so many new wheels built these days are disc wheels i dont see how campy hubs will fill that need for yo all.

Or perhaps im so out of date that campy now makes disc hubs to sell seperatly for wheel builds and im not aware?

cmbicycles
12-23-2019, 09:13 AM
I always considered King hubs more of a mtn bike component... even though I know they also make, and market, hubs for road.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Considering so many new wheels built these days are disc wheels i don't see how campy hubs will fill that need for yo all.

Or perhaps I'm so out of date that campy now makes disc hubs to sell seperately for wheel builds and I'm not aware?

Nope, no Campagnolo made disc brake hubs. Lotsa wheels(Fulcrum too) but no disc hubs. I'm kinda surprised Campag still makes hubs but thankfully, they still do. I'm betting they still sell a LOT of them.

BUT, better than CK DISC hubs abound as well..WI, DT, many others. that are Campag and disc.

lavi
12-23-2019, 10:47 AM
I have the CK hubs (not my fav by a long shot). I can see why CK pulled it.

There is a serious issue with the hubs when paired with a 12s Campy cassette. There are little tabs on the back side of the cassette. I'm guessing they are there to catch the chain should it jump to keep the chain from burying itself too deep between the cassette and spokes. Not sure why Campy did that to the cassette but whatever.

As it is. The tabs rub the spokes when built on CK hubs (supposedly due to the wider hub flanges). I had to dremel the tabs off of a SR 12 cassette. :banana: There was no suitable workaround. Lame.

My (ride all day and never worry about breaking anything) wheel set build is a 28/32 on HED Belgies with CK hubs.

C40_guy
12-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Guess there is a benefit to sticking with Record 10, square taper BB and rim brakes. :)

I do like CK headsets though...

d_douglas
12-23-2019, 05:20 PM
For rim brakes yes, Campy is amazing, but for disc brakes, we still need more options (as a Campy 11 user).

The King hubs are gorgeous, but they somehow didn't do much for me. If I could build my road rim wheels into Onyx hubs, I would, but I can't justify the expense.

There is always DTSwiss - tried and true.

robertbb
12-23-2019, 05:29 PM
I don't get why Campy doesn't release 24 and 28h versions of their hubs.

Anyone looking for a Campy compatible hub is running a Campy groupset... so why not give them a bit more choice when it comes to a matching Campy hub?

AngryScientist
12-23-2019, 05:35 PM
11-sp, the golden age of compatibility, made campy splined hubs largely un-necessary. you could always just run shimano cassettes with the same spacing on otherwise campy drivetrains, and life was good.

my guess is that campy just pulled production until they can develop a new freehub to work with the 12-sp stuff. maybe that winds up not being possible with the current hub body and they will abandon campy splined hubs for a while.

FlashUNC
12-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Anyone looking for a Campy compatible hub is running a Campy groupset... so why not give them a bit more choice when it comes to a matching Campy hub?

Because they want you buying their wheels, not their hubs.

FriarQuade
12-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Because they want you buying their wheels, not their hubs.

That's a BINGO. Same goes for Shimano.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2019, 06:28 AM

What FlashUNC said, the rider of Campag DO have choice-called Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheelsouttabox..
Although they probably sell every hubset they make, it's still a teeny part of their overall biz. Besides, they have never made a 24h 'modern' hub anyway..not since the freewheel days(35+ years ago). I'm just glad they still DO make hubs, great design.

Tommasini53
12-24-2019, 07:46 AM
No loss, prefer White Industries across the board anyway. If Campagnolo would make a 24 and 28 hole, that would be a no brainer.

+1..... I have a pair of Campy 28h Record hubs from the 9spd era. They've been smooth and reliable through some rough conditions. I wish Campy would bring the 28s back.

ergott
12-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Industry 9 replaced all that I liked about Chris King hubs. Much simpler design, easy to change axle standard, rapid engagement if you're into that, and all the color options. MUSA too.

White Industries is on same level too and have the titanium cassette carrier standard. That and a steel axle really makes the shine for bigger loads.

sw3759
12-24-2019, 09:49 AM
So how noisy are these I9 freehubs? compared to King (too noisy) and White Industries (noisy enough)

tylercheung
12-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Industry 9 replaced all that I liked about Chris King hubs. Much simpler design, easy to change axle standard, rapid engagement if you're into that, and all the color options. MUSA too.

White Industries is on same level too and have the titanium cassette carrier standard. That and a steel axle really makes the shine for bigger loads.

I have to wonder - what is the pace of hub tech development? Do hub designs generally last in production for a decade or so, or are there rapid improvements being engineered year over year? I think the R45 and T11 have been out since the beginning of the decade, but it seems there's a lot of newer "startups" like i9, Onyx etc.

At the end of the day though, they all seem to do the job reasonably well.

jtbadge
12-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Chris King went through and discontinued a bunch of stuff last year in an effort to reduce overhead. Pressfit BBs, 1 1/4" headsets, singlespeed hubs, etc. Their Campy hubs weren't that popular, and there was an issue with 12 speed cassettes fitting, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

I have to wonder - what is the pace of hub tech development? Do hub designs generally last in production for a decade or so, or are there rapid improvements being engineered year over year? I think the R45 and T11 have been out since the beginning of the decade, but it seems there's a lot of newer "startups" like i9, Onyx etc.

At the end of the day though, they all seem to do the job reasonably well.

There's been a ton of R&D going into new disc hub standards, not so much rim brake.

-thru axle - 12/15/20mm
-"standard"/"boost"/"super boost," etc. - 100/110 front, 135/142/157 rear spacing
-centerlock vs six bolt rotor attachment
-new freehub bodies for SRAM XD/XDr and Shimano MicroSpline

etc., etc.

The only new rim brake tech in the last handful of years has been the XDr freehub for 12 speed SRAM AXS, and the vast majority of bikes using that group are on disc brakes, so they've hardly made a big splash.

tylercheung
12-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Chris King went through and discontinued a bunch of stuff last year in an effort to reduce overhead. Pressfit BBs, 1 1/4" headsets, singlespeed hubs, etc. Their Campy hubs weren't that popular, and there was an issue with 12 speed cassettes fitting, so it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

There's been a ton of R&D going into new disc hub standards, not so much rim brake.

-thru axle - 12/15/20mm
-"standard"/"boost"/"super boost," etc. - 100/110 front, 135/142/157 rear spacing
-centerlock vs six bolt rotor attachment
-new freehub bodies for SRAM XD/XDr and Shimano MicroSpline

etc., etc.

The only new rim brake tech in the last handful of years has been the XDr freehub for 12 speed SRAM AXS, and the vast majority of bikes using that group are on disc brakes, so they've hardly made a big splash.

Well, the standards yes, but what I mean were the internals - better bearing this, fancier material that, new pawls, etc etc?

Dino Suegiù
12-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Indeed.

I have never used Industry 9 hubs, but the White Industries hubs I have had (some over 15 years old now) have definitely been the equal of my Campagnolo hubs, and superior to King. WI hubs are great.

jbay
12-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Industry 9 replaced all that I liked about Chris King hubs. Much simpler design, easy to change axle standard, rapid engagement if you're into that, and all the color options. MUSA too.Do you have an alternative to Enduro for the 30x18x7mm bearings used in Torch Centerlock MTB front hubs, by any chance? Those things are rubbish. I’ve found quality alternatives for the bearings used by the rear hubs, but the ones I mention above appear to be proprietary.

— John

Jeff N.
12-26-2019, 08:18 PM
good riddance.

Campy hubs are better anyway......
+1!

SteveW
12-26-2019, 09:20 PM
I had my rear CK hub break internally as I started from a stop crossing the street. Put me over the handlebars and I thought that I had broken my leg,
some serious pain and the shock of hitting the deck has kind of put the damper on CK Campy compatible hubs for me.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2019, 07:05 AM
Do you have an alternative to Enduro for the 30x18x7mm bearings used in Torch Centerlock MTB front hubs, by any chance? Those things are rubbish. I’ve found quality alternatives for the bearings used by the rear hubs, but the ones I mention above appear to be proprietary.

— John

Ya sure the front hub bearings aren't 30x17x7mm?? Those are 6903..

jbay
12-27-2019, 07:11 PM
Ya sure the front hub bearings aren't 30x17x7mm?? Those are 6903..That’s exactly my point, sadly. These are non-standard bearings.

I9 Torch Mountain Centerlock PDF (https://industrynine.com/documents/torchmtnclev.PDF)

Industry 9 refer to them as 18307 (https://industrynine.com/parts/bearings/TKMB22) bearings, but even that is non-standard bearing nomenclature.

— John

oldpotatoe
12-28-2019, 07:04 AM
That’s exactly my point, sadly. These are non-standard bearings.

I9 Torch Mountain Centerlock PDF (https://industrynine.com/documents/torchmtnclev.PDF)

Industry 9 refer to them as 18307 (https://industrynine.com/parts/bearings/TKMB22) bearings, but even that is non-standard bearing nomenclature.

— John

10-4..proprietary bearings in bike 'stuff'-> dumb.."hello design engineers..start with bearing size"...what could possibly be the advantage of a 1mm larger ID..

cmbicycles
12-28-2019, 10:17 AM
10-4..proprietary bearings in bike 'stuff'-> dumb.."hello design engineers..start with bearing size"...[B]what could possibly be the advantage of a 1mm larger ID..

Advantage is that smaller bearings wear out faster, sell more proprietary bearings that way.

jbay
12-28-2019, 08:59 PM
10-4..proprietary bearings in bike 'stuff'-> dumb.."hello design engineers..start with bearing size"...what could possibly be the advantage of a 1mm larger ID..Especially given that SRAM have pronounced that the smaller 28.99mm (!) inner diameter of their DUB bottom brackets is superior to the 30mm inner diameter of others.

— John

oldpotatoe
12-29-2019, 07:03 AM
Especially given that SRAM have pronounced that the smaller 28.99mm (!) inner diameter of their DUB bottom brackets is superior to the 30mm inner diameter of others.

— John

What a surprise. I remember sram saying their RTC(ReturnTo Center) bar ends for tri bars were 'more aero' too...:)