PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever combined Shimano front shifting with Campagnolo rear?

ravdg316
12-22-2019, 10:03 AM
This seems like an interesting move, given Shimano 9100 has my favorite front shifting and Campy 11 has my favorite rear shifting with the ability to dump gears. Or would combining the two systems make my brain/bike explode?

makoti
12-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I use something like that on my trainer bike, but it's friction front. Works fine. No flames.
I'd think the look & need for two sets of shifters would be the only drawback.

YesNdeed
12-22-2019, 10:06 AM
You'll probably get more definitive answers following this one, but my thinking is that it will be fine. I assume you're using Campy shifters? I've used a Campy 10sp FD with a Sram (Rival) 10sp shifter and it worked well. Try it!

And if you're planning on using two different shifters...no. Just, no.

rain dogs
12-22-2019, 10:14 AM
The ability to dump gears comes from the function of the lever not the derailleur.

Unless you're suggesting to have a left STI and a right Ergo lever..... in which case.... ugh, and why? Campy front shifting is as good or so immeasurably less good that why bother? I think if you did THAT you'd make the internet explode.

The correct answer for levers in your case is, and in fact is always: Campagnolo

ravdg316
12-22-2019, 10:15 AM
You'll probably get more definitive answers following this one, but my thinking is that it will be fine. I assume you're using Campy shifters? I've used a Campy 10sp FD with a Sram (Rival) 10sp shifter and it worked well. Try it!

And if you're planning on using two different shifters...no. Just, no.

Haha I’m not officially planning anything, but yep I was indeed thinking about a Dura Ace 9100 front shifter and front derailleur, Campy crankset and rear derailleur, ultegra or Potenza rear cassette depending on the wheels.

ravdg316
12-22-2019, 10:19 AM
The ability to dump gears comes from the function of the lever not the derailleur.

Unless you're suggesting to have a left STI and a right Ergo lever..... in which case.... ugh, and why? Campy front shifting is as good or so immeasurably less good that why bother? I think if you did THAT you'd make the internet explode

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/378/worldburn-top.jpg

Dave
12-22-2019, 10:53 AM
The new Campy 12 speed shifting, front and rear is the best ever. Chain ring shifting on my new 48/32 Chorus cranks on two bikes has been perfect.