PDA

View Full Version : ... andhow about "Upstate New York"

SlowPokePete
12-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Early retirement in the near future due to CTINM Syndrome glad I have the option despite the penalty.

That's Can't Take It No More Syndrome :)

Anyway, house here in Westchester will sell, and we will be looking in most likely Columbia County or perhaps one of it's neighboring counties.

I've ridden many miles of gravel in The Farmer's Daughter ride, but what else can the PL membership gleen on the area? I know there's a few people on the forum who live in that area.

FWIW looking in the range of prob 300-350k, low mortgage cause we gotta keep the bills way down, thankful our current home seems to be worth a little more than we paid for it five years ago.

Anyway, anything is helpful, from "these are the nicest towns" to whatever. My wife's son currently rents an apartment in Hudson (only for a couple of months now), and we went to that town's "Winter Walk" which was nice.

Anyway, comments and opinions desired and appreciated.

SPP

Blue Jays
12-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the CTINM diagnosis. Good luck.

Hilltopperny
12-21-2019, 01:58 PM
I live in rural Fulton County and we have lots of good riding and the Southern Adirondacks are a few miles up the road from me. They provide plenty of mixed terrain, lakes and hiking in the warmer months and plenty of other things to do in the Winter. It is a bit removed from things, but I prefer it to city life. Good living out here can be done with a low budget as property is very reasonable.

Northern Dutchess, Columbia and Greene counties are all pretty nice and have plenty to offer. Not too far from city life and rural enough to enjoy what the outdoors have to offer.

There is also Otsego and Montgomery counties that have a lot pretty nice areas. Rolling hills, dirt/gravel and quiet roads. Property depending on where can be had reasonably cheap and they are basically filled with small cities and little towns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
12-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Early retirement in the near future due to CTINM Syndrome glad I have the option despite the penalty.

That's Can't Take It No More Syndrome :)

Anyway, house here in Westchester will sell, and we will be looking in most likely Columbia County or perhaps one of it's neighboring counties.

I've ridden many miles of gravel in The Farmer's Daughter ride, but what else can the PL membership gleen on the area? I know there's a few people on the forum who live in that area.

FWIW looking in the range of prob 300-350k, low mortgage cause we gotta keep the bills way down, thankful our current home seems to be worth a little more than we paid for it five years ago.

Anyway, anything is helpful, from "these are the nicest towns" to whatever. My wife's son currently rents an apartment in Hudson (only for a couple of months now), and we went to that town's "Winter Walk" which was nice.

Anyway, comments and opinions desired and appreciated.

SPP

I am in the Catskills, Ulster county. Its nice here, across the river from Hudson. I love Ulster county but close to me is Greene county and taxes are about half. I bet Colombia county has high taxes too so if I was you I would look for low tax county. What are your priorities? There is a ton of good ridding around here but also across the river, I do think that its easier to find gravel by where farmers daughers is but we have some good mtb and more mountains so great climbs over here

Johnny P
12-21-2019, 02:13 PM
I live in the Albany area and don't know much about housing in Columbia County, but it is a great area for riding. I've ridden mostly in the Chatham/Valatie/Ghent area. Paved road rides there are wonderful. Not much traffic especially if you are retired and can ride during the day.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2019, 02:33 PM
I lived in Saratoga Springs for three years, right on Broadway downtown. Love that town, broke my heart to leave, but, my job went to India, so I moved back down to the tri state to survive, because, job choices are limited, to say the least. I go back a few times a year, town just gets better and better, but, more expensive. It's a bit of a trophy town for the rich, and, as we all know, they are doing well. Awesome biking, especially across the Hudson in Washington County, home of the Tour of Battenkill, which you should do next Spring, since you say you are a gravel rider. Plenty of paved over there, though, so, you never really have to ride dirt, if it's not your thing. Very quiet, just farm country, minimal traffic, great surfaces, because it"s NY, and downstate dollars pay for paved roads in nowhere upstate, unlike adjacent Vermont, which is a poor state, and has much more dirt. But, then again, you may like that. I ventured into Columbia county four or five times to explore. Great riding around Chatham and Hudson. But, if you decide to live in the country, which is most of the county, you will be starved for markets and restaurants and, generally, civilization. I guess all of those second home owners up there like to cook, because there's nothing outside of Hudson. Same with Washington County mentioned above. Dead, which is bad, and good, I guess. Saratoga, on the other hand, rocks all year round. Coolest town up there. Albany is boring.

You won't be far from the Cooperstown area, which is a massive valley that is the triangle defined by the Thruway, I81, and I88, with Albany, Syracuse, and Binghamton forming the points of the triangle on the map. Cooperstown sits in the middle. Gold mine of biking roads. Again, great surfaces, minimal traffic. NY spends a ton on paving roads up there that really don't need it.

Good luck.

R3awak3n
12-21-2019, 02:58 PM
I lived in Saratoga Springs for three years, right on Broadway downtown. Love that town, broke my heart to leave, but, my job went to India, so I moved back down to the tri state to survive, because, job choices are limited, to say the least. I go back a few times a year, town just gets better and better, but, more expensive. It's a bit of a trophy town for the rich, and, as we all know, they are doing well. Awesome biking, especially across the Hudson in Washington County, home of the Tour of Battenkill, which you should do next Spring, since you say you are a gravel rider. Plenty of paved over there, though, so, you never really have to ride dirt, if it's not your thing. Very quiet, just farm country, minimal traffic, great surfaces, because it"s NY, and downstate dollars pay for paved roads in nowhere upstate, unlike adjacent Vermont, which is a poor state, and has much more dirt. But, then again, you may like that. I ventured into Columbia county four or five times to explore. Great riding around Chatham and Hudson. But, if you decide to live in the country, which is most of the county, you will be starved for markets and restaurants and, generally, civilization. I guess all of those second home owners up there like to cook, because there's nothing outside of Hudson. Same with Washington County mentioned above. Dead, which is bad, and good, I guess. Saratoga, on the other hand, rocks all year round. Coolest town up there. Albany is boring.

You won't be far from the Cooperstown area, which is a massive valley that is the triangle defined by the Thruway, I81, and I88, with Albany, Syracuse, and Binghamton forming the points of the triangle on the map. Cooperstown sits in the middle. Gold mine of biking roads. Again, great surfaces, minimal traffic. NY spends a ton on paving roads up there that really don't need it.

Good luck.

I still go down to the city a lot for work, sometimes every week for months. It sucks. Upstate NY is wonderful, I really love it here and wish I could just be here but with my line of work, very hard, almost impossible.

I have notice as I come home every Friday, more and more cara are coming up... maybe its all vacation people but hopefully more ppl more up here, better economy, more jobs.

As far as life outside the bigger towns, yes, most stuff is happening in the bigger towns... hudson, catskill, kingston, saugerties, woodstock, ect.... but there also also awesome stuff happening in small towns like german town and athens that have a few excellent restaurants. But yes the farther and more country you live the more you will have to drive to get stuff. I am in West Saugerties which I love.... still pretty country but 10 minutes from downtown saugerties, 10 minutes from woodstock, 15 minutes from catskill, 35 minutes from hudson, 25 minutes from kingston (optimal times, I drive fast :)) also close to hunter and windham for great snowboard and sky. Mtb trails also around.

Buzz Killington
12-21-2019, 03:08 PM
I’m in Ulster County, but I’d suggest you look at Germantown in Columbia County. Quiet but not far from some attractions. But if it was me, I’d look at Cambridge or Shushan area in Washington County. Ride in the morning and tubing on the Battenkill after with a couple beers is heaven.

mdeth1313
12-21-2019, 04:30 PM
I live in Dutchess County but all summer I ride up into Columbia County - usually on the eastern side of the county. The riding is fantastic and most drivers are respectful of cyclists (except for a few of the citiots). Depending on where in Columbia county, the eastern side can put you close to Great Barrington and Pittsfield, MA. The riding around Great Barrington is even better than CC.

parris
12-21-2019, 04:42 PM
I've live in upstate NY my whole life. The thing that I've learned is that the differing regions of the state give differing terrain and road quality. I'm not the biggest fan of where I live right now (Broome county) just because I prefer the more rolling and rural terrain of Oneida, Onondaga, Madison, Otsego counties. That being said we are blessed with some honestly world class cycling and most everything's an easy drive.

What kind of riding really floats your boat? Once you're able to answer that check out a few different areas that'll work well for that as well as you and your families other wants/needs.

I also forgot about the Finger lakes region. That region can be so beautiful as to bring a tear to the eyes on occasion. Good luck with your search.

merlinmurph
12-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Can you give us a little help, like what you're looking for?
How much in the boonies do you want to be?
How close to to civilization do you need to be?
How close do you want to be to basic stores like food, hardware, etc?

I know nothing about the area, but good luck with your move.

Ken Robb
12-21-2019, 06:33 PM
In general the farther you live from major job centers the less expensive housing and some other expenses will be. Leslie and I loved visiting Canandaigua and other communities in the Finger Lakes. The riding is excellent too.

While we were riding The Erie Canal Towpath we stopped to chat with a couple about my age who were sitting on their patio watching boats go by in the canal. As a retired Realtor I HAD to ask what homes in their townhouse complex cost and it seemed very reasonable. Some of the neighbors had small boats tied up at their back doors.

verticaldoug
12-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Think farther a field- Spain... just make sure the locals know you are not English and you are cool.

(the food is waaaaay better and cheaper too. )

gbcoupe
12-21-2019, 06:55 PM
"Early retirement in the near future due to CTINM Syndrome glad I have the option despite the penalty.

That's Can't Take It No More Syndrome"

Can't help with information regarding location. Just wanted to empathize. I have more than a touch of it myself.

makoti
12-21-2019, 06:58 PM
"Early retirement in the near future due to CTINM Syndrome glad I have the option despite the penalty.

That's Can't Take It No More Syndrome"

Can't help with information regarding location. Just wanted to empathize. I have more than a touch of it myself.

Yeah, think I may be catching it soon, as well.

CNY rider
12-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Do you want to have a bunch of land for activities, or just a house on a small property?
In Otsego County you can get lots of land, with a decent house on it for a few hundred thousand dollars. Live like a king, but it will be out in the middle of nowhere.
Lots of great riding, both paved and dirt.
And even in the most rural locations, at worst it's 20 minutes to a grocery store.

R3awak3n
12-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Think farther a field- Spain... just make sure the locals know you are not English and you are cool.

(the food is waaaaay better and cheaper too. )

except Portugal is cheaper, people are nicer, food is better, ect...

I am Portuguese so I may be biased but I heard the same from everyone that finally goes there after years of going to other places in Europe.

GregL
12-21-2019, 07:22 PM
I’m a native upstater who has spent most of my life here. A few thoughts:

- Homes are very affordable in most areas. You’ll pay more in the popular suburbs, but otherwise housing prices are surprisingly low.

- Taxes are ridiculously high. But coming from Westchester, they will seem reasonable.

- As you move north and west from the lower Hudson valley, snowfall amounts go up a lot. Here in Siberacuse, it’s 10 feet (on average) every winter. We have the infrastructure to handle the snow, but it makes for a long, grey winter. The nordic skiing, fat biking, and snowshoeing are great.

- As others have said, the riding is great. Road, MTB, and gravel are all available to suit your tastes. The aforementioned ridiculous taxes mean the paved roads are in generally great shape. Away from the cities, the roads are quiet and the drivers tend to be courteous. Many more friendly waves than angry middle fingers.

I’m happy to answer any specific questions. I grew up near Cooperstown and have lived in the Albany, Syracuse, and Rochester (Canandaigua) areas. Best combination of all riding was Canandaigua. Current home base is North Syracuse with a summer camp on Great Sacandaga Lake.

Greg

peanutgallery
12-21-2019, 10:27 PM
I'd be worried about annual, local property tax. There's cheaper places to live

NY State, pretty as it is....can be expensive

If I was no longer generating income....

rpettet
12-22-2019, 02:06 AM
I live in Watkins Glen and road riding around here is good. Numerous gravel roads which I prefer especially during tourist season. Rumble strips have been placed on many state road shoulders making them useless since the strips were placed in the middle.
Cost of living here is crazy. Taxes on a 250000 house could approach 12,000 and this is not lake property. Retiring next year and can’t/won’t stay here. Thousands leaving yearly, not sure what the future holds. Beautiful place and will always visit.

mdeth1313
12-22-2019, 04:48 AM
Wow - OP says Columbia County or neighboring counties - now he's moving to Syracuse, the Finger Lakes, hey, why not Buffalo? I hear it's nice in the winter and they have a winning football team these days.

soulspinner
12-22-2019, 04:51 AM
The riding in the fingerlakes is great. Lived in and around Rochester for 40 years before that the Utica area...the winters can suck though.

Hilltopperny
12-22-2019, 05:41 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191222/a26318c765150724be162c62476a11f3.jpg
I am ice fishing as we speak on Caroga lake. One of the many lakes within a very short drive. The cost of living is pretty cheap and the taxes are still significantly less than further down state

paulh
12-22-2019, 06:53 AM
That's Can't Take It No More Syndrome :

SPP

Ha! I had not heard of CTINM before but I think I've got it.
I also have eye trouble... just can't see working much longer; complicated by ocular rectumitis. S#%$y outlook at work.

SlowPokePete
12-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Probably looking to stay within 2 hours of where I am now...family still in Westchester. Also, ok with continued winter type existence, especially if I don't have to go to work, but not interested in the level of severity that the weather doles out in places like Buffalo, etc.

I'm not too worried about the riding, as I'm a gravel ride type guy and I expect there to be plenty of that around, although climbing is not my strong suit...

SPP

efixler
12-22-2019, 09:09 AM
I’m in Northern Dutchess, I ride Columbia County a lot, DM me if you want to meet to ride.

Columbia County is very pretty, I especially love the area around Ancram and Ancramdale. It’s not very densely populated which is great for riding, but you also may want to think about access to people and food :)

merlinmurph
12-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Cost of living here is crazy. Taxes on a 250000 house could approach 12,000 and this is not lake property.

Seriously? I knew it was high, but wow. I'm in MA where property taxes are kinda high, but ~5% is up there, like 2.5 to 3 times higher.

parris
12-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Merlin those numbers are pretty accurate. My wife and I will be leaving NYS when we retire due to the taxes, fees, etc. It's unfortunate but the state has made it punishing for retirees to stay.

If not for the very high taxes we wouldn't be so inclined to leave. I have several coworkers that as they were getting ready to retire researched other areas that were less punitive when it comes to costs of living and such.

BumbleBeeDave
12-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Check your PM's!

BBD

:banana:

thwart
12-22-2019, 10:10 AM
Seriously? I knew it was high, but wow. I'm in MA where property taxes are kinda high, but ~5% is up there, like 2.5 to 3 times higher.

I'm surprised. Here in a notoriously high tax state (and high tax county) total property taxes for that home would be somewhere around $5-$6K.

Be sure to pick an area with decent average snowfall (OK, maybe not Buffalo) if you like to cross country ski, fat tire bike, snowshoe, etc. Our southern WI area gets the cold temps but just not enough recreational snow.

And a few weeks someplace warm in the latter part of winter will preserve your sanity.

If you can afford the cost of living, I'm sure you'll love it.

bitpuddle
12-22-2019, 10:23 AM
I can only comment on the riding in that area with any authority. Really nice, almost everything you’d want except for big climbs; you’d have to venture out a bit for elevation. But lots of great country roads, paved and gravel. I drive up regularly from Brooklyn.

I only casually looked at real estate in Columbia’s and Dutchess counties. Lots of nice places of all different sorts (small villages, stuff out in the country with more land) but I was surprised by the property taxes. Higher than I expected.

parris
12-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Bitpuddle One of the things that I can relate about the taxes is over the last 10-12 years many of the towns and counties have done reassessments to full market value on properties.

In my town this happened due to several people that built McMansions and then getting pounded while their neighbor that had been in a house 2/3 the size but with substantially more acreage paying maybe 1/3-1/2 the taxes.

My taxes went up roughly 20-25% due to the comps an outside company supplied to the town. The same happened with multiple households. My point is that many areas of NYS have done this which has raised what the property owner in NYS already pays in a heavily taxed state.

Davist
12-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Try PA, keep the scenery, lose the tax... (I grew up near Rochester in Fairport, rode the canal trail, went to school in Potsdam and haven't looked North in decades..)

MerckxMad
12-22-2019, 06:29 PM
I don’t know your particular situation (though I can empathize), but as we age healthcare can be an issue. Access to quality healthcare out in the sticks can be an issue. Also, you might consider a location near a college as a life line to culture and community. There’s only so much riding you can do. While it maybe some folk’s dream, I will never use the words “ice fishing” in the same sentence as retirement. Good luck.

rpettet
12-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Try PA, keep the scenery, lose the tax... (I grew up near Rochester in Fairport, rode the canal trail, went to school in Potsdam and haven't looked North in decades..)

We are likely headed to PA. Much less property taxes, utility costs, etc. The taxes and fees here are not sustainable. Not sure what the future plan is.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2019, 07:26 PM
I don’t know your particular situation (though I can empathize), but as we age healthcare can be an issue. Access to quality healthcare out in the sticks can be an issue. Also, you might consider a location near a college as a life line to culture and community. There’s only so much riding you can do. While it maybe some folk’s dream, I will never use the words “ice fishing” in the same sentence as retirement. Good luck.

Ithica.

R3awak3n
12-22-2019, 08:21 PM
We are likely headed to PA. Much less property taxes, utility costs, etc. The taxes and fees here are not sustainable. Not sure what the future plan is.

PA has great gravel too.

YoKev
12-23-2019, 04:18 AM
My wife and I live in Kingston (Ulster County). Her family lives in Dutchess County.

We love it here.

Miles and miles of gravel riding on rail trails, Mohonk, and Minnewaska Preserves.

Amazing mountain biking at Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill, Round Top, and select Scenic Hudson Properties.

Road riding is still a very worthwhile activity.

All towns on the Hudson River are slowly "coming around" or being gentrified, however you like to look at it. Kingston is pretty hot right now with (what seems like) a noticeable influx of new, younger people/families. Real estate prices have increased noticeably. We don't think it's peaked yet.

Taxes are not dirt cheap, but, they're also not what you are used to.

Great local food opportunities and farmers markets. Great breweries. Lots of options for great food.

Like someone said, you can't ride your bike all the time. There are lots of cultural activities in the immediate area. The Woodstock Film Festival and O+festival are a couple very popular events. UPAC has concerts in conjunction with Poughkeepsies Bardavan. Bard College also has a lot to offer with their art museum and the Fisher Center. Upstate Films/Rosendale Theatre/Woodstock Theatre all offer great independent films. SPAC and Tanglewood are a relatively easy drive away also.

I drive to Mahopac everyday. It's super easy to get onto the Thruway, Taconic, and 84. When we choose to go into NYC, we drive to Poughkeepsie and get on Metro North. Airports are accessible with Stewart being the closest, then Albany, then Newark and NYC options of course.

SlowPokePete
12-23-2019, 04:19 AM
The thing for us is we have a NYS pension, which is exempt from NYS income taxes, so staying in NY state even with higher property taxes is offset by the income tax break. Makes it comparable to say Delaware, with lower property taxes, but they will tax the pension.

We successfully challenged our real estate taxes on our current home...went from 12,000+ to about 10,000, less the STAR exemption brings it down to 8,000/year, which is actually pretty good for Westchester. We have a half acre with municipal water and sewer.

Most of what we've seen on-line the taxes are 5,000-7,000, less the STAR.

SPP

CNY rider
12-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Ithica.

Similarly the village of Cooperstown.

R3awak3n
12-23-2019, 06:27 AM
My wife and I live in Kingston (Ulster County). Her family lives in Dutchess County.

We love it here.

Miles and miles of gravel riding on rail trails, Mohonk, and Minnewaska Preserves.

Amazing mountain biking at Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill, Round Top, and select Scenic Hudson Properties.

Road riding is still a very worthwhile activity.

All towns on the Hudson River are slowly "coming around" or being gentrified, however you like to look at it. Kingston is pretty hot right now with (what seems like) a noticeable influx of new, younger people/families. Real estate prices have increased noticeably. We don't think it's peaked yet.

Taxes are not dirt cheap, but, they're also not what you are used to.

Great local food opportunities and farmers markets. Great breweries. Lots of options for great food.

Like someone said, you can't ride your bike all the time. There are lots of cultural activities in the immediate area. The Woodstock Film Festival and O+festival are a couple very popular events. UPAC has concerts in conjunction with Poughkeepsies Bardavan. Bard College also has a lot to offer with their art museum and the Fisher Center. Upstate Films/Rosendale Theatre/Woodstock Theatre all offer great independent films. SPAC and Tanglewood are a relatively easy drive away also.

I drive to Mahopac everyday. It's super easy to get onto the Thruway, Taconic, and 84. When we choose to go into NYC, we drive to Poughkeepsie and get on Metro North. Airports are accessible with Stewart being the closest, then Albany, then Newark and NYC options of course.

Kingston does seem to be popping right now, just had a really good dinner there yesterday at that restaurant/hotel that used to be a bank. Was good, very cool place. I really like kingston and think its going to only get busier, more businesses and more people moving there.

The thing for us is we have a NYS pension, which is exempt from NYS income taxes, so staying in NY state even with higher property taxes is offset by the income tax break. Makes it comparable to say Delaware, with lower property taxes, but they will tax the pension.

We successfully challenged our real estate taxes on our current home...went from 12,000+ to about 10,000, less the STAR exemption brings it down to 8,000/year, which is actually pretty good for Westchester. We have a half acre with municipal water and sewer.

Most of what we've seen on-line the taxes are 5,000-7,000, less the STAR.

SPP

That is good deal for westchester for sure.

Up here I am paying more than you in taxes but I have 6 acres. Taxes too high in Ulster but same thing in green county probably be $4000 less

Hilltopperny
12-23-2019, 06:44 AM
I am in Wetern Fulton County. We have two acres and a Cape Cod house with three small out buildings a pond and are 12 miles from Johnstown NY.

My house was a fixer upper and in many ways still is, but our taxes are only around $2500 a year and with STAR and the fact that our school district merging we end up paying under $2,000 a year. Not common, but while we were house hunting I did quite a bit of research.

fbhidy
12-23-2019, 09:43 AM
We specifically chose our house location for tax reasons.
1) Skaneateles School district (top 1-3% in NYSED)
2) Cayuga County, town of Sennett
3) small house (900 sq ft cabin, unfinished full basement) with lots of land (~5 acres, >1 acre of lawn, the rest wooded)

The village and town of Skaneateles are notoriously high taxes and crazy zoning/building permitting.

Cayuga county is exactly the opposite, with the major metro area being Auburn (prison city with poor economy).

We bought a small house with a decent amount of land for a pittance of what it would cost just a quarter mile down the road in Onondaga County, town of Skaneateles. I would guess that our assessed value is in the bottom 5% of the school district, but the upper 50% of the town and the county.

Skaneateles Schools actually have a low tax %, because so many of the houses are crazy $$$$ due to the lake. Because our house is so cheap (comparatively) we do quite well.

Cayuga County taxes are reasonable simply because the housing costs are so damn low.

Because I'm in the state retirement system, we'll probably spend the rest of our lives in this house (unless some phenomenal job opportunity comes along for my wife or myself, she almost convinced me to move to the Caribbean, but our parents had health issues at the time!)

No, the finger lakes isn't 'Upstate' (it's really 'central' NY folks...) but, it is a good example of picking the right location is crucial to retiring in New York State.

batman1425
12-23-2019, 09:58 AM
I was born in Schenectady County, lived there till I went to college in Central NY, then moved back for a year while I was doing a fellowship in Albany before going to the midwest for grad school.

I second, third, or whatever number we are at with what folks have said about taxes. Varies significantly from county to county so do your homework. Mortgage gets smaller, but taxes are forever. My folks moved to Saratoga County after us kids moved out for the tax breaks.

Food for thought - the central/upstate region of NY is amongst the cloudiest parts of the US. Data I saw not long ago showed it is only about 5% sunnier than Seattle and my experience growing up support these data. If grey days aren't your thing, look elsewhere.

Mr. Pink
12-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Pffffft....30,000 dollar plus tax bills in Westchester are not unusual. Of course, the housing bubble created it and low interest rates afterwards have maintained that market. But, the new Fed tax bill has really screwed most of these homeowners, who always could say, at least, I can deduct it from my fed taxes. This has really hurt the high end home market in Westchester and a lot of other high income/high tax places.

I experience another tax issue in CT.. my auto is taxed annually as property. Keeps home taxes lower, but, still. About 700 a year for a new Honda HRV. Whoopee.

torquer
12-23-2019, 10:41 AM
A number of the places named in this thread are college towns, which New York state has in abundance. College towns are often cited as good places to retire: diversity, range of cultural offerings, higher level of public support for institutions (educational, sure, but also medical, which retirees especially benefit from.)
Downside is higher local taxes to pay for all this, but OP outlined mitigations for NYS pensioners. Also, especially at commuter schools, more traffic, often on marginal access roads, so that impacts riding. But summers are better.
So on balance, if I were relocating (and Tuscany or Maui didn't work out) I'd start within site of an ivory tower.

GParkes
12-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Grew up between Kingston and Woodstock, love riding there. Been in the Capital District for 30+ years now (Schenectady/Saratoga counties) and love it. Regarding Columbia county area, there are also options in Rennselaer and even southern Washington county that would be to your liking as well. As far as being close to shopping, dining, etc, so what. You're never too far from a Hannaford, Price Chopper, Stewart's or Cumberland Farms. Find a spot you dig, and have at it.

Oh...............and Chatham Brewery :)

SlowPokePete
12-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Pffffft....30,000 dollar plus tax bills in Westchester are not unusual.

True in much of the county...we are a bit lucky in this regard.

SPP

Davist
12-24-2019, 05:55 AM
I was born in Schenectady County, lived there till I went to college in Central NY, then moved back for a year while I was doing a fellowship in Albany before going to the midwest for grad school.

I second, third, or whatever number we are at with what folks have said about taxes. Varies significantly from county to county so do your homework. Mortgage gets smaller, but taxes are forever. My folks moved to Saratoga County after us kids moved out for the tax breaks.

Food for thought - the central/upstate region of NY is amongst the cloudiest parts of the US. Data I saw not long ago showed it is only about 5% sunnier than Seattle and my experience growing up support these data. If grey days aren't your thing, look elsewhere.

Growing up in Rochester, I distinctly remember the morning paper "Democrat and Chronicle" with a picture of the sun (in glorious black and white) one day in the "grey days" as you so aptly put it "so we'd remember what it looks like"...

Oh and PS the flat state tax in PA is 3.07% so again vs real estate taxes...

soulspinner
12-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Growing up in Rochester, I distinctly remember the morning paper "Democrat and Chronicle" with a picture of the sun (in glorious black and white) one day in the "grey days" as you so aptly put it "so we'd remember what it looks like"...

ya knew someone with Lupus and doc told her Seattle or central ny will have the least direct sunlight.

parris
12-24-2019, 08:13 AM
The lack of sun thing reminded me of a local news story from 2 or 3 winters ago. The Binghamton area is cloudy even by upstate NY standards to give context. The story was how we had broken some kind of record where the sun had been constantly clouded over for 6 WEEKS straight.

SlowPokePete
03-28-2020, 03:30 AM
Looking good for Columbia County ... specifically Hillsdale.

Anybody like 15' deep spring-fed swimming ponds?

See SPP on far left...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49685999528_dda129fe05_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iGzJCh)March 21, 2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2iGzJCh) by SPP™ SlowPokePete (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156678813@N02/), on Flickr

SPP

yarg
03-28-2020, 07:45 AM
Lots of gravel around Hillsdale, BashBish and Taconic Parks are great to, nice spot.

NHAero
03-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Once you start looking in that area - I'm curious - quite close to MA and CT too. Is there a reason to prefer one of the three states?

Good luck in any case SPP!

See SPP on far left...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49685999528_dda129fe05_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iGzJCh)March 21, 2020 (https://flic.kr/p/2iGzJCh) by SPP™ SlowPokePete (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156678813@N02/), on Flickr

SPP

estilley
03-28-2020, 08:57 AM
The lack of sun thing reminded me of a local news story from 2 or 3 winters ago. The Binghamton area is cloudy even by upstate NY standards to give context. The story was how we had broken some kind of record where the sun had been constantly clouded over for 6 WEEKS straight.

Agree with this.

I grew up in the PNW and went to college at Colgate (Hamilton, NY, Madison County).

It's seriously cloudy. Seriously snowy as well.

I come from the land of the clouds so it wasn't terrible but add the cold temperatures and abundant snow and you have some burly weather.

I ran outside pretty much every day for the track and cross country team. Makes Portland seem like perfect running weather all year.

fbhidy
03-28-2020, 09:31 AM
Agree with this.

I grew up in the PNW and went to college at Colgate (Hamilton, NY, Madison County).

I come from the land of the clouds so it wasn't terrible but add the cold temperatures and abundant snow and you have some burly weather.

I ran outside pretty much every day for the track and cross country team. Makes Portland seem like perfect running weather all year.

I currently live about an hour west of Hamilton, outside Skaneateles NY. The finger lakes region is a great place for cycling when you are able to avoid the rain. The season is shorter than much of the rest of the USA (other than the northern central states and northern New England.) Though the scenery is well worth the sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliedid
03-28-2020, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=SlowPokePete;2683655]Looking good for Columbia County ... specifically Hillsdale.

See SPP on far left...

Yes please

tctyres
03-28-2020, 11:30 AM

See SPP on far left...

SPP

Ironically, we've ridden a lot of the same roads up there. I looked on Starva once. I wonder if I've ridden by that pond ... Prolly... tons of riding up that way and over in Litchfield County, CT, too.

SlowPokePete
03-30-2020, 04:36 AM
Once you start looking in that area - I'm curious - quite close to MA and CT too. Is there a reason to prefer one of the three states?

Good luck in any case SPP!

NYS Pension = no state income tax to pay when I retire as of June 30th.

SPP

SlowPokePete
03-30-2020, 04:37 AM
Ironically, we've ridden a lot of the same roads up there. I looked on Starva once. I wonder if I've ridden by that pond ... Prolly... tons of riding up that way and over in Litchfield County, CT, too.

My only rides up in Columbia County have been the past two years of the Farmer's Daughter...

Whats your handle on Strava?

SPP

tctyres
03-30-2020, 05:44 AM
My only rides up in Columbia County have been the past two years of the Farmer's Daughter...

Whats your handle on Strava?

SPP

Tim C.

I think we've ridden a lot of the same stuff in the north Westchester/Putnam Co. area.

SlowPokePete
03-30-2020, 06:31 AM
Tim C.

I think we've ridden a lot of the same stuff in the north Westchester/Putnam Co. area.

No doubt on that...

Requested a Follow...

SPP

parris
03-30-2020, 08:26 AM
Estilley my uncle went to Colegate and when he retired he and my aunt settled in Hamilton. Having grown up in that general part of the state I've been lucky to have ridden many of those roads.

paredown
03-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Agree with this.

I had the same reaction when I ended up at Rochester for grad school, even after living in Vancouver. I could not believe the number of grey days! (Not to mention the cold--holy crap!) Then when it finally warmed up, you got humidity. Pretty much the worse of all worlds I thought.

I hate it less now...to be truthful, I like it a lot--but if we move upstate, I think it is likely to be Milford PA--lower taxes and you are reasonably close to a train route (Port Jefferson) into the city.

I do like the spring-fed pond though--we are overlooking a pond now, and I love pond life--everything from the ducks, geese (and their babies), fawns getting dropped close to the pond, snapping turtles, visits from herons, the local owl...it is a treat.

C40_guy
03-30-2020, 08:48 AM
Agree with this.

Chenango Valley guaranteed snow in September and May!

A gorgeous place to spend four years...or more... Always difficult to leave when Reunion is over!

benb
03-30-2020, 08:49 AM
I went to RPI in Troy... and have biked up there a lot in the summer/spring/fall when I was visiting.

I never really biked much in college because my bike was stolen freshman year and I didn't get another one till after graduation.

It is truly an amazing place to bike in the spring/summer/fall. The Saratoga area is fantastic, and so is the area west of Albany. My fraternity has a reunion every spring out at Thatcher state park west of Albany and I've always loved to ride out to that park. Lots of climbing and gorgeous, never really had any trouble with traffic/drivers out there.

But it is a long/cold/gray winter up there. Quite a bit worse IMO than here in the Boston area. There is a good reason it seems the #1 winter sport up there is drinking lots of alcohol.

C40_guy
03-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Estilley my uncle went to Colgate and when he retired he and my aunt settled in Hamilton. Having grown up in that general part of the state I've been lucky to have ridden many of those roads.

Yes, lots of great riding in that area. Little traffic, friendly farmers, wafting smell of cows....

I led a summer cycling gym course at Colgate. Had a great 20 mile loop that was *all* down hill.

Left campus to the north and east, headed downhill to Poolville, south to (I don't remember), crossed 12B, then headed north on side roads.

The rolling downhills were striking, the very casual climb in the other direction wasn't noticeable, at least as a 20 YO. So it *felt* like it was all downhill.

Note...the last time I rode that loop, many years later, the casual climb *was* noticeable. :)

wc1934
03-30-2020, 09:49 AM
My youngest daughter went to Hamilton College (Clinton, NY). The winters are cold and gray. But the spring, summer and fall riding is great - a bit of everything, rolling hills, great climbs, and great scenery with little traffic. But in the middle of nowhere!

parris
03-30-2020, 10:48 AM
WC I grew up in Utica and spent a ton of time riding through and around the Clinton area. My father was a farmer so it was "homebase" until I married.

C40. I've lived in the Binghamton area for 27 years.

wc1934
03-30-2020, 02:22 PM
WC I grew up in Utica and spent a ton of time riding through and around the Clinton area. My father was a farmer so it was "homebase" until I married.

C40. I've lived in the Binghamton area for 27 years.

Nice. So you have a much better appreciation of the area than I.
Some nice craft breweries in the area too.

parris
03-30-2020, 02:46 PM
WC my appreciation for the area has grown since I've been away. It's the typical familiarity breeds contempt that we all can fall victim to without much thought.

The thing about upstate NY is just how shockingly beautiful the places are in different ways that are all quite close when it comes down to it. AND one of the few advantages of the high taxes is that the roads generally have enough room for both cyclists and automobile traffic.

I'm a fan of the Saranac Brewery due to the fact that it's been family run for several generations. They've had some VERY challenging times and could've easily closed up but have fought to keep it up and improve what's already a decent product. They also give back to the community.

batman1425
03-30-2020, 05:17 PM
I currently live about an hour west of Hamilton, outside Skaneateles NY. The finger lakes region is a great place for cycling when you are able to avoid the rain. The season is shorter than much of the rest of the USA (other than the northern central states and northern New England.) Though the scenery is well worth the sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with this.

Estilley my uncle went to Colegate and when he retired he and my aunt settled in Hamilton. Having grown up in that general part of the state I've been lucky to have ridden many of those roads.

Colgate class of '07, I helped run the cycling team there for 3 or so years. Loved the riding out there - when the weather cooperated.

parris
03-30-2020, 10:17 PM
Batman one of our regular rides would be from Clinton out on rt 233 to 12b out to Hamilton and back. We would then decide in Hamilton what route we wanted to take back to town. It was generally Rt 20 to Rt 12. If we wanted to stretch things we would stay on 20 to Rt 8 and take that back to Utica.

It's funny how at the time those were mid distance training rides. Today that would be a long ride for me.

C40_guy
03-31-2020, 09:03 AM
Colgate class of '07, I helped run the cycling team there for 3 or so years. Loved the riding out there - when the weather cooperated.

'82. See you at a reunion! Will probably be there in 2 years, at my, um, oh never mind!

:)

tctyres
03-31-2020, 10:36 AM
No doubt on that...

Requested a Follow...

SPP

Here's my heatmap for your neck of the woods, fwiw. That route up in the upper right is the D2R2 long course from last year.