PDA

View Full Version : Impact drivers

fmradio516
12-20-2019, 08:23 PM
This may be like opening up flood gates, but what does everyone use for impact drivers?

I have NEVER owned one before in my life so I am extremely excited and indecisive on what I should get. This is just for general work, nothing too specific... maybe if i could use it for automotive, but i believe that is a no go for these. Id need an impact wrench to do auto properly.

In the past, I had Makita power tools, but it looks like the best bang for your buck(and warranty) is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel.

Any opinions?(rhetorical question)

:banana:

GScot
12-20-2019, 08:39 PM
There are a wide variety of impact drivers from 1/4" hex that are great for torquing the heads off of deck screws to 1/2" and even larger for industrial applications.

I was happy with the industrial line of Milwaukee for years but after 2014 or so they became considerably less durable. If you won't really be using it much any of the mainline brands are fine. If you want to spend a bit more for better performance and durability the main options are industrial Bosch and Metabo. You have to do your homework to know what you're buying as both have some less robust models popular in the big box stores.

Personally for home mechanic use I have switched to the Makita Sub-Compact line. Power, great battery selection and performance and quality tools that so far are holding up great. An advantage of Makita is their 18V batteries can be used as a pair for the 36V heavier tools like the leaf blower and chainsaw, even a string trimmer.

You can absolutely use a cordless for automotive purposes. A 1/2 drive can deliver as much torque you'll ever need for chassis fasteners and wheel studs. In fact they can overdo it and few offer anything resembling an accurate torque setting so torque limiting extensions fill in where you can use them. And then torque your fastener with a proper torque wrench. I have 3/8 drive that is small enough I have used it removing stubborn suspension fasteners.

zmudshark
12-20-2019, 08:40 PM
This may be like opening up flood gates, but what does everyone use for impact drivers?

I have NEVER owned one before in my life so I am extremely excited and indecisive on what I should get. This is just for general work, nothing too specific... maybe if i could use it for automotive, but i believe that is a no go for these. Id need an impact wrench to do auto properly.

In the past, I had Makita power tools, but it looks like the best bang for your buck(and warranty) is the Milwaukee M18 Fuel.

Any opinions?(rhetorical question)

:banana:

What size?

One of my kids uses M18, he likes it.

Edit: GScot is the guy you should listen to. He's wicked smart.

Tandem Rider
12-20-2019, 08:45 PM
I make my living with Milwaukee, I use them every single day, don't overlook the M12. I carry one in my tool bag and it will pop your eyes open with it's torque and it's light too. The M18 is an all day tool but the M12 is great for intermittent use, don't overlook it.

Louis
12-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Do you have a compressor, and are you looking for a pneumatic impact wrench, or an electrical (presumable battery powered) one?

wc1934
12-20-2019, 08:52 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 - Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt.
I have the Makita (combo - drill and impact driver) and like their product. I went with it because the smaller hand grip felt better than the other 2.

climbgdh
12-20-2019, 09:01 PM
I have Milwaukee in my home work shop and am really impressed with their 1/4” driver and all their other battery operated hand tools. I also work at a very large oil and gas facility and we have a wide range of battery operated tools including Milwaukee, Dewalt and others. Milwaukee generally perform the best and all of the mechanical tradesmen who make their living with hand tools will grab a Milwaukee versus almost anything else. And the tools get the living crap beat out of them. Their 3/4” impact is impressive with ability to bust nuts at 1200 ft-lbs. Can’t go wrong with Milwaukee IMO.

bobdenver1961
12-20-2019, 09:23 PM
I have a Milwaukee M12 and it's lightweight, the battery lasts a long time and it seems to work great. Lots of power.

dlbracey
12-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Professionally, I see Milwaukee and Dewalt on my residential construction job sites almost exclusively. Probably more Milwaukee than Dewalt for battery drivers.

As a home user I just buy whatever well reviewed model I can get the best deal on. For periodic use I think any product from the major brands is going to be fine. There are units that will be lemons, but that will be apparent within any of the warranty periods. It is the all day, day after day use cases where one might end up being better than the other. The amount of use an average hobby/home user puts on the tool during ownership might be equivalent to what a tradesperson would do in the average week.

I own various types of drivers from Bosch, Makita, and Dewalt, but the ones that get by far the most use are the Bosch 12V Max drill and driver two piece set. Compact, light, ergonomic, powerful enough for most anything. I do use a more powerful Makita impact driver for certain tasks like driving timberloks or messing with some automotive stuff, but 4 out of 5 times I’m grabbing the bag with the Bosch 12V.

GScot
12-20-2019, 09:28 PM
What size?

One of my kids uses M18, he likes it.

Edit: GScot is the guy you should listen to. He's wicked smart.

Ha. On this topic it all comes from trial and error. I probably complained about Milwaukee too much as what I've used them for could be described as abuse. But on the line in the shop my personal 2006 models that got more use than any outlasted a 2012 and 2014 driver. In fact it lasted until I could not get new batteries. With the newer tools the battery outlasted the driver.

Newer Makitas haven't been worked quite so hard but are holding up great after a couple years.

I should add that familiar phrase about fit is important in tools too. I find the current Makita ergonomics work best for me and the sub compact line fits in more places than other tools as well. Like others have said any of the big brands are going to be fine. Exception being if you get into specialty niches where you need something like small size where Makita shines or extra high torque in a drill/driver where Bosch and Metabo have an edge.

Some day I'm going to get a Mafell jigsaw but that's another topic.

JAGI410
12-20-2019, 09:48 PM
I bought the Milwaukee M18 combo kit (driver, drill, light, and hackzall) and got the jobsite radio free for a father's day deal from Fleet Farm. I've been amazed how much I've used every single tool. The driver is far more powerful than expected. I'd highly recommend it.

m_sasso
12-20-2019, 11:41 PM
I believe German Metabo/Hitachi is or has released a new line of power tools with a combination battery and corded in one tool. There is some information beginning at 20:00 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQYafS77Rc Why it has taken manufactures this long to release a combination like this I don't know? I use very few power tools these days, so kind of out of the loop, do other manufactures have this option now?

sokyroadie
12-21-2019, 07:07 AM
Dewalt 20V is hard to beat for the price, even the smaller 1.5 - 2.0 Ah batteries last a long time with the 1/4" impact.

unterhausen
12-21-2019, 07:32 AM
For me, I started out with Dewalt tools and I refuse to bring in another brand of battery. If this is the only cordless tool you are going to buy, it doesn't really matter that much.

I have a 1/4" impact driver and it's very nice. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the hose in the garage, so i was looking at a 1/2" driver. No need right now though

jamesdak
12-21-2019, 08:19 AM
Good to see others views here. I'm about to finally make the switch to cordless myself. By coincidence I've been overseeing a construction project at work for around 2 years now. One thing I have noticed is that pretty much everyone from both the prime and the subcontractors are using Dewalt Tools. A few Milwaukee show up now and then but I'm saying 90% of the tools are Dewalt.

NHAero
12-21-2019, 08:25 AM
Piling on for the 20V brushless Dewalt cordless tools. I went with Dewalt after the gut renovation of our house in 2013. I tried all the various impact drivers the carpenters had, and the Dewalt had the best ergos for my smaller hands. My latest acquisitions this year is an oscillating multi-tool which was indispensable for cutting out plaster when I installed baseboard, and a cordless string trimmer, which allowed me to say goodbye to the gas-powered one. It's awesome to have several tools with the same battery interface.

M.medeiros
12-21-2019, 08:49 AM
I've been really happy with the Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver / hammer drill kit I got recently. The power was better at driving in tapcons versus the Makita and DeWalt brushless tools we have at work.

And I would add another like to the M12 stuff as it is small and light and does most jobs really well. The M12 right angle drill is one of my most used tools.

commonguy001
12-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Absolutely love my Milwaukee M18 brushless impact, best addition to the workbench I’ve made in a long time. I had a Contractor who did a ton of work for me last winter and he swore by the Milwaukee M12/18 lines and he uses his equipment hard.

cmbicycles
12-21-2019, 09:11 AM
I use the Milwaukee M12 cordless stuff around home. They are plenty powerful for anything I've done with them. Being smaller and lighter weight than the 18v drills makes them pretty convenient for getting into tighter places. I have corded and air tools for anything that needs more torque, but the m12 impact is plenty for driving in 3" deck screws or small lag bolts, and breaking the heads off a variety of smaller fasteners if you arent careful. Most times I reach for the drill/driver as the impact is often overkill.

Dave
12-21-2019, 09:22 AM
I've used Makita, since 2011, when I was building my house. A lot of the local carpenters used them. I'm still using one pair of original batteries and the impact driver and drill I bought as a set.

I'm sure that any of the big name brands will work just fine, particularly if you're not using them every day, like someone in the home building trades.

I bought the lowest level Makita string trimmer and found it a bit wimpy, but my Makita circular saw works great. I may add a reciprocating saw soon.

Look at all the tools that the brand offers because each of the batteries is unique and once you start using one brand, you'll want to stick with it.

Replacement batteries can be a ripoff. Several years ago I wanted two new 18V batteries and most places wanted about $200 for a pair. I found a fathers day deal with an impact driver, a drill, 2 batteries, the charger and a free tool of your choice for only $240, so I now have a new impact driver, drill and charger that have never been used. That's when I got my circular saw, as the free tool.

I now see other battery makers offering Makita compatible batteries at far lower prices.

charliedid
12-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Somehow I found this M12 set on Amazon refurbed for $110 a couple years ago.

Perfect for my use.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/531d86e38970b1d1da3f12ad04ef7594.jpg

They looked new when I got them. No clue what was refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmradio516
12-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am stuck on the M18. Id probably be fine with the M12 98% of the time, but if im going to even attempt to use it for automotive stuff, I should just cough up the extra dough for the extra power.

You can absolutely use a cordless for automotive purposes. A 1/2 drive can deliver as much torque you'll ever need for chassis fasteners and wheel studs. In fact they can overdo it and few offer anything resembling an accurate torque setting so torque limiting extensions fill in where you can use them. And then torque your fastener with a proper torque wrench. I have 3/8 drive that is small enough I have used it removing stubborn suspension fasteners.

I might be wrong, but i believe you are talking about impact wrenches, correct? Just going off the fact that you said 1/2" drive. I was asking more about using the 1/4" impact driver for auto stuff

Dave
12-21-2019, 06:54 PM
I use my impact driver to tighten lug nuts enough to let the car down from my lift, then it's on to a torque wrench. It's very handy.

I use a 1/2 inch drive air impact wrench to remove lug nuts quickly.

GScot
12-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am stuck on the M18. Id probably be fine with the M12 98% of the time, but if im going to even attempt to use it for automotive stuff, I should just cough up the extra dough for the extra power.

I might be wrong, but i believe you are talking about impact wrenches, correct? Just going off the fact that you said 1/2" drive. I was asking more about using the 1/4" impact driver for auto stuff

Yes I was referring to 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive impact drivers. There are so many options everything is a possibility. I have one of the 1/4" hex Makita subcompacts and sometimes use it with an adaptor to 1/4" square drive impact sockets. It has enough power to wreck small fasteners if you aren't careful. And being short in front to rear depth it gets into some areas my 1/2" drive can't reach. It won't be torquing wheels but I don't hesitate to use it when I see a reason.

SteveV0983
12-21-2019, 08:33 PM
My experience is that something as strong as the M18 line definitely requires a model with multiple speeds. I have a Milwaukee 2553 m12 Fuel with 4 speeds and it is my go-to tool. You would be shocked how powerful this thing is on its highest mode. I also have a Makita 18v with no separate speeds and, although it is a little stronger than the m12, it is best used for nothing but heavy duty work. IMO if you don’t get multiple speeds, you will have a tool that is extremely powerful that is tougher to control.

FriarQuade
12-21-2019, 08:39 PM
I've been a Milwaukee user for more than a decade at this point. They seem to hold up better in a metal shop than most other options. I also prefer their ergonomics a little better. We recently picked up a second set of the M12 drill/driver for the shop. We use these a lot for fixture clamps in the CNC and for some assembly tasks as well. The "Fuel" series uses a brush less motor and are supposed to be a little more durable.

Everyone is making pretty good stuff these days, hard to truly make a bad decision.

CAAD
12-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Used Milwaukee daily when I worked construction for 17 years. M18 and M12, excellent tools. Couple M12 batteries died but they had some miles on them. Seeing coworkers use DeWalt and Ryobi, Mickey Mouse garbage.

fmradio516
12-21-2019, 09:27 PM
My experience is that something as strong as the M18 line definitely requires a model with multiple speeds. I have a Milwaukee 2553 m12 Fuel with 4 speeds and it is my go-to tool. You would be shocked how powerful this thing is on its highest mode. I also have a Makita 18v with no separate speeds and, although it is a little stronger than the m12, it is best used for nothing but heavy duty work. IMO if you don’t get multiple speeds, you will have a tool that is extremely powerful that is tougher to control.

I believe the M18 has 4 speeds as well.

Black Dog
12-21-2019, 10:18 PM
Since no one has mentioned Bosch I will. Great tools and really in the same legue as Milwaukee. However, their upper end 18v impact drivers have a combined 1/4 and 1/2 head. Tons of torque etc. Going from driver bits to 1/2 sockets in seconds. Very versatile.

andrew+
12-21-2019, 11:08 PM
I actually just built a bed with a new Ryobi brushless impact, model 238. They're cheap and received excellent reviews. 2200 inch pounds of torque, 3 speeds. I didn't touch the fastest speed to sink 2 and 3" screws into pine. More than enough torque for lug nuts and other car stuff.

With the current deal they're just over $100 with two 3 amp hour batteries, a compact charger, and carrying case.

mtechnica
12-22-2019, 09:09 AM
I use a brushless dewalt xr

Gummee
12-22-2019, 09:49 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3 - Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt.
I have the Makita (combo - drill and impact driver) and like their product. I went with it because the smaller hand grip felt better than the other 2.

I went w Makita cause my buddies who work on cars all day, every day haven't killed theirs yet.

KC Tools has some Wera impact bits that work really well for removing and installing some bike bits (6-bolt discs for example) if you're careful with the impact driver.

The impact driver really speeds up building bikes. Even more so than the rotating head Snap-On ratchet I use as well.

M

likebikes
12-22-2019, 10:48 AM
this is the only impact you need:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81mphvvw4qL._AC_SX450_.jpg

fmradio516
12-22-2019, 11:45 AM

A little different but yes, id use one of these for some auto work. Then an impact driver for around the house.

HenryA
12-22-2019, 04:33 PM

For removing a screw thats stuck on something that can take a hard hit, these work better than anything. The combination of the hammer strike pushing on the fastener and turning it at the same time WILL make it come loose.

dddd
12-23-2019, 04:03 PM
I've used the basic Craftsman 1/4" for deck building, it and it's modest batteries have held up to driving thousands of long deck screws and only showed (by the smell of it) stress when driving consecutive 3/8" lag bolts.

For bigger stuff I use a 1/2" drive AC electric impact wrench.

12-23-2019, 05:51 PM
We probably crank and uncrank around 400 bolts or extended thread wood screws a day, sometimes four or five times that, all on pallets and both metal and wood casings for fragile equipment. We do it all with 1/4" impact drivers. Some of the bolts and lags have up to 3/4" heads, and a 1/4" driver has the power to do it. A few comments:

1. I'd not use an impact driver near a bike. Impact drivers and torque control are incompatible ideas. You can snap the head of a bolt easily with an impact driver, and that's not how to build a bike.
2. The mini impact drivers, 12 volt and the like, are cute but the biggest problem is that they still have enough power to torque out of your hands and either hurt you or mess up your work.
3. Brands tend to be strongest regionally -- the east coast is big Milwaukee territory while the west coast is stronger in Makita. Dewalt is distributed well nationally. What makes Dewalt popular is that they run very short-lived product cycles so there's always something new, and doing so gives them the opportunity to be first to market with new ideas such as smaller grips, their 36V cordless miter saw, and so on. Go to YouTube and check out videos from AvE. He does teardowns of a lot of these tools and the general drift is that Dewalts get very good promotional prices but the innards aren't up to the quality of Makita. Milwaukee sells itself above all on its batteries, which are incredibly powerful, but a battery that lasts three days instead of two isn't necessarily a plus when you can recharge daily anyway. Milwaukee internal mechanisms tend to be better engineered than Dewalt but not, for the most part, as well as Makita. Consider Makita a conservative tool manufacturer who sticks with reliable and unbreakable -- like Subaru. Personally, Makita is my favorite, and their more recent release off powerful tools like their new heavy duty cordless reciprocating saw and cordless rotary hammers just reinforces that impression. Construction quality is a critical issue here -- remember that a $140 cordless drill needs to be manufactured at a total assembled cost of about $30 leaving the factory, and manufacturers are willing to scrimp to save pennies. I've never broken a Makita tool in my life, but I can remember breaking four Dewalt pro tools and at least two Milwaukee ones. I won't even get Ryobi and other low-end brands.
4. If you've started with a brand, the worst economy is to end up with a bunch of different tools with different brands and different batteries. We'll have a couple brands floating around to accommodate some tools we really want in one particular brand -- everyone has some utter winners in certain classes -- but our main lines of tools and batteries are down to one brand, which for us is Makita.
5. Makita has been lowering the prices on their batteries, often drastically. Theirs are much better than the aftermarket ones, but there are so many aftermarket Makita ones that Makita had to respond with more aggressive pricing. The aftermarket ones have a tendency to be thermally labile (i.e., burst into flames) and they also burn out rapidly under heavy drain. Milwaukee batteries aren't made from better batteries or better materials; they just pack an extra 2-6 cells into a larger battery pack. It makes them heavier and bulkier. As far as Makita goes, I'd stick with original Makita batteries, and the same for other brands. There are a couple good videos on YouTube comparing battery life and longevity for original versus aftermarket.

Dekonick
12-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Pick from the big three. I use DeWalt because they are local and there is a nice sale from time to time... They will also trade in old for new @ the factory outlet... Again, local to me. Now I am invested heavily so won't change any time soon... a mix of 18 and 20v tools using the 20v adapter as well as those 18v batteries that are still holding up. It is easy to rehab your batteries if you don't mind soldering a little and aren't afraid to get dirty.

pdmtong
12-23-2019, 10:05 PM
This $99 makita drill/driver pak meets my needs
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-CT226-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-2-Pc/dp/B01489O21G

pjm
12-23-2019, 11:27 PM
No Festool fans out there?

GScot
12-24-2019, 07:12 AM
No Festool fans out there?

I love em but they seem more at home in the craft maker and artist arsenal. And of course finish carpentry. Not so much for impact drivers and drills.

Talking 110V tools here but I needed a really good jigsaw a couple years ago and tried Festool. I like the barrel style and when I can hold the saw underneath so I'm looking at the blade which really lends itself to the barrel type. Ended up with a Makita that cost just a little less than the Festool and cuts square to the surface and straight without needing frequent guide adjustment/replacement that the Festool is known for. I intended to buy the Festool but Woodcraft had em all out for demo and Makita could make any cut the Festool could.

If I ever need the ultimate jigsaw or track saw I'm probably going Mafell.

Dave
12-24-2019, 07:52 AM
This $99 makita drill/driver pak meets my needs
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-CT226-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-2-Pc/dp/B01489O21G

Always notice the battery size. The 3.0 AH is a must to use with tools like circular saws or string trimmers. The small batteries lower the cost.

pdmtong
12-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Always notice the battery size. The 3.0 AH is a must to use with tools like circular saws or string trimmers. The small batteries lower the cost.
yes true. at one time I might have "invested" in a system but that's not the case anymore. I haven't used my (corded) circular saw in years.

Roillful
03-03-2021, 10:30 AM
I have a Makita impact driver (https://www.auditpowertools.com/best-impact-driver/), I use it in my home workshop and used it regularly when I'm there.
It's a brilliant bit of kit.

Gummee
03-03-2021, 10:46 AM
1. I'd not use an impact driver near a bike. Impact drivers and torque control are incompatible ideas. You can snap the head of a bolt easily with an impact driver, and that's not how to build a bike.
I disagree

Impact drivers are the bee's knees building bikes. Among other reasons is that they're easier on your wrists

...but... you can't just hammer in small bolts in metal like you can into wood.

As always YRMV with experience and skill

M

9tubes
03-03-2021, 03:53 PM
Milwaukee M12 for me. We all have different needs. The OP said "I have NEVER owned one before in my life" so I'll guess that he is not using the tool all day and probably doesn't need crazy high torque for removing rusted dump truck suspension bolts.

In that case what makes most sense is something that's lightweight, holds a good charge if it's not used for a month, and will be reliable for multi year use.

I have that same use case, so the Milwaukee M12 or Bosch equivalent is perfect. Anything bigger is not more useful, just heavy.

As for using an impact driver on a bicycle, NFW, ever. But hey, take that risk if you want to.

rzthomas
03-03-2021, 04:02 PM
I'm invested in the Ryobi system and I just got the new P262 1/2" impact driver (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-4-Mode-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-P262/314109271). I tested it out with a half-dead battery on some really torqued-down lug bolts (that I had uggaduggaed with my air wrench) and it got them loose quickly. I know there are other brands that are better, but the price/breakaway torque on this driver ain't bad any $159/600 ft lbs.

Tz779
03-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Somehow I found this M12 set on Amazon refurbed for $110 a couple years ago.

Perfect for my use.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/531d86e38970b1d1da3f12ad04ef7594.jpg

They looked new when I got them. No clue what was refurbished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sometimes they are just returns, maybe missing some parts and sent back to the vendor. we got stuff like that all the time at Lowes.

Tz779
03-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Ok, I have to add my $.02:
Makita is the best for drivers/drills & impact drivers.

sfscott
03-03-2021, 09:28 PM
So, when I needed a new drill, I threw down for a big Milwaukee kit with a hammer drill and impact tool and about a gazillion bits and tips.

I am about as far away from being handy or a diy guy, but every once in a while, I do need to try to fix something.

Problem is I have no idea about the differences among the various bits and how to get the most out of the tools.

Any good tutorials for dummies?

fmradio516
03-04-2021, 12:14 PM
Just an update, I picked up some Dewalt XR stuff. Driver, hammer drill, and oscillating tool.

I love em but im bummed that they dont make an long impact ratchet for automotive hard to reach stuff..

unterhausen
03-04-2021, 12:18 PM
I don't feel as bad about mixing brands of tools now that the batteries last a while.

The nice thing about milwaukee chargers is that at least some of them will charge both 18v and 12v packs

fmradio516
03-04-2021, 01:50 PM
I don't feel as bad about mixing brands of tools now that the batteries last a while.

The nice thing about milwaukee chargers is that at least some of them will charge both 18v and 12v packs

Yeah same with Dewalt. They'll do 12/20v on the same charger. Pretty nifty.

unterhausen
03-04-2021, 02:20 PM
I didn't know that about Dewalt. Milwaukee 12v tools are more compelling though. Just noticed they have a $600 electric drive torque wrench

Pricci09
03-04-2021, 02:29 PM
I've had great luck with Milwaukee

Mwhitby
03-04-2021, 10:00 PM
I am pretty happy with my Milwaukee but I feel the quality has gotten worse since I used them as a tradesman. I would be interested in Makita since they are the only in house brand still, without any parent companies to make budget cuts.

charliedid
03-04-2021, 10:11 PM
sometimes they are just returns, maybe missing some parts and sent back to the vendor. we got stuff like that all the time at Lowes.

Yeah I'm sure tons of that exists in our retail world these days.

Ok, I have to add my $.02:
Makita is the best for drivers/drills & impact drivers.

I have contractor friends who would certainly agree with you on that.

robertbb
03-05-2021, 01:18 AM
+1 on Makita.

dalcant757
03-05-2021, 08:11 AM
Another +1 for makita. I was able to get a 1/2 in drive one that will put out over 1k ft/lbs for around $150. You can always get adapters for battery compatibility between brands.

benb
03-05-2021, 08:39 AM
This is like Ford vs Chevy really.. a decent amount of religion is part of it.

I have a 20V Dewalt 1/4" impact driver.

It's a sometimes tool.. I would not use it casually on a car and I would never let it within 10ft of a bike.

Very easy to break fasteners if you're not being smart.

Every once in a while it comes in incredibly handy, and 99% of the time that is taking something apart, not putting something together.

E.x. rough outdoor woodworking stuff where you're taking something apart and are going to replace the fasteners anyway.

Mine is not even an XR.. it has no speed or torque settings, and even at that level in the line it is hard to control and really easy to break stuff.

Last fall we built a wood in ground frame to put a hot tub on.. I recall using it to drive some huge lag bolts through the 4x4 pressure treated posts and it was pretty ridiculous for that. Absolutely no problem and it was shocking how fast the job was done. But the regular driver also has enough torque for bolts like that and is way more precise.

fmradio516
03-05-2021, 08:53 AM
This is like Ford vs Chevy really.. a decent amount of religion is part of it.

I have a 20V Dewalt 1/4" impact driver.

It's a sometimes tool.. I would not use it casually on a car and I would never let it within 10ft of a bike.

Very easy to break fasteners if you're not being smart.

Every once in a while it comes in incredibly handy, and 99% of the time that is taking something apart, not putting something together.

E.x. rough outdoor woodworking stuff where you're taking something apart and are going to replace the fasteners anyway.

Mine is not even an XR.. it has no speed or torque settings, and even at that level in the line it is hard to control and really easy to break stuff.

Last fall we built a wood in ground frame to put a hot tub on.. I recall using it to drive some huge lag bolts through the 4x4 pressure treated posts and it was pretty ridiculous for that. Absolutely no problem and it was shocking how fast the job was done. But the regular driver also has enough torque for bolts like that and is way more precise.

One of the first things I did with my XR is replace the radiator in my Jeep WJ.. It was my second time doing the job; the first time was years ago with a basic ratchet/wrenches. I was amazed how much quicker it was this time around. There were tons of bolts, brackets, fasteners that had to get undone before the rad could come out. Sure I was definitely quicker because it was my second time doing it, but man, i loved now having to get my hands in tight spots and fumble with basic tools. Though I agree about the power, I wouldnt use it to do something like tighten a hose clamp or something.

I also used it on a throttle body the other day where i had one stubborn t25 torx bolt that wouldnt budge by hand due to rust. Tried soaking it overnight and still nothing. Felt like i was gonna strip the head. I broke out the XR on the lowest setting and let it hammer; still nothing. medium setting, wham! took it right out! That alone was worth it!

benb
03-05-2021, 09:11 AM
A rusted bolt on something like that where you're replacing the parts anyway is a good car use.

Years ago I had a bracket on my old car that was bolted into the chassis and corroded/frozen.

I ended up taking that to a mechanic and letting them take care of it with a torch, etc.. because I didn't want to risk snapping the head off a fastener that was directly into the chassis. I didn't have the impact driver at that point but I wouldn't have trusted it on that case.

Now with a better tool than my Dewalt I'm sure I'd be more comfortable using it on more stuff.. the pneumatic stuff in a shop is a lot better than my Dewalt AFAIK.

For bikes and motorcycles I'd consider all this stuff a critical safety failing if I was going to do maintenance and found fasteners frozen by corrosion to the point an impact driver entered my imagination.. that would imply I was not doing enough regular maintenance to stop that kind of stuff from happening.

fmradio516
01-14-2022, 06:58 AM
reviving an old thread: so I went with DeWalt and the tools I got work awesome, but im finding that Milwaukee is coming out with more and more awesome tools that I want and it seems like Dewalt has given up and only is covering the basics. Id really like a right angle impact wrench and a die grinder. Just dont know if i wanna stick with 18v or go down to 12v..

I wanna sell my yellow stuff and buy red stuff, and this is the absolute worst time since the holiday sales are over, but I was wondering if anyone knows when the next tool sale would be at a place like Home Depot? I know 4th of July is one, but is there anything sooner? Ive got the itch.

proxient
01-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Late to the party, but have been using Makita daily /professionally for the past 7 years.
They just keep making more things that work with their battery system

572cv
01-14-2022, 07:46 AM
For me, it was either Makita or Milwaukee. I am not using the tools professionally, value light weight and compactness. The batteries have all gotten pretty good. So I went with Milwaukee, the M12 series. The impact driver is terrific. The grinder quite good, drill just fine, the mini sawsall is a really useful tool, the skill saw works fine, not better or worse than others. Each tool was very well made, and I like the storage and carrying systems. Squeezing the battery attachment clasps is sometimes a pain, but a little silicone spray periodically helps immensely. I bet Makita would have impressed as well. I've used their impact wrench and thought it was well designed ergonomically.

Tandem Rider
01-14-2022, 08:51 AM
Longer term report here, I've been using and abusing the Milwaukee M12 at work daily and at home for projects for 5 years now. I also have the drill, little sawzall, and 2 different lights. I have not killed any batteries yet in spite of daily use. I can't speak for any other brands though, I'm sticking with one battery platform.

Matt92037
01-14-2022, 09:05 AM
Home Depot has specials on their “deals of the day” or “pro deals of the week” sections all the time for the Milwaukee stuff. Its worth keeping a look out.

Last year I sold all my cordless tools and replaced with Milwaukee 18v and 12v setups. When it comes to the drill/driver kits, the 12v and 18v have a ton of overlap and i always reach for the 12v first. My 12v Surge impact will sink 5” ledger locks into wet treated 4x4’s no problem, but if i had to sink a ton of them i would go 18v as it does it significantly faster. I am becoming heavily invested in both platforms.

I dont see any harm in keeping your 20v dewalt kit and to just start investing in Milwaukee 12v stuff.

The 12v tools Milwaukee offers are a slippery slope. So many cool things…. The key with the 12v tools is to make sure you have a couple larger batteries (4ah or 6ah) in your arsenal.

reviving an old thread: so I went with DeWalt and the tools I got work awesome, but im finding that Milwaukee is coming out with more and more awesome tools that I want and it seems like Dewalt has given up and only is covering the basics. Id really like a right angle impact wrench and a die grinder. Just dont know if i wanna stick with 18v or go down to 12v..

I wanna sell my yellow stuff and buy red stuff, and this is the absolute worst time since the holiday sales are over, but I was wondering if anyone knows when the next tool sale would be at a place like Home Depot? I know 4th of July is one, but is there anything sooner? Ive got the itch.

fmradio516
01-14-2022, 09:37 AM
Home Depot has specials on their “deals of the day” or “pro deals of the week” sections all the time for the Milwaukee stuff. Its worth keeping a look out.

Last year I sold all my cordless tools and replaced with Milwaukee 18v and 12v setups. When it comes to the drill/driver kits, the 12v and 18v have a ton of overlap and i always reach for the 12v first. My 12v Surge impact will sink 5” ledger locks into wet treated 4x4’s no problem, but if i had to sink a ton of them i would go 18v as it does it significantly faster. I am becoming heavily invested in both platforms.

I dont see any harm in keeping your 20v dewalt kit and to just start investing in Milwaukee 12v stuff.

The 12v tools Milwaukee offers are a slippery slope. So many cool things…. The key with the 12v tools is to make sure you have a couple larger batteries (4ah or 6ah) in your arsenal.

Good call, I just saw the deals youre talking about. They look promising. I feel like im gonna go with M12 (Fuel).

The only reason id want M18 is for the occasional need for something heavy duty like installing a tow hitch on a car with tons of rust... I tried doing that by hand a few years ago and it was not possible. Tried different holes for a couple hours.. didnt work. Had to have my truck mechanic buddy come over with his honkin impact wrench and he zipped em in in a couple mins. BUT i havent needed it since, so thats not enough for me to invest in 18v.. Plus im not building houses over here.

C40_guy
01-14-2022, 10:01 AM
I resurfaced my outdoor deck last summer with mahogany, and the best tool purchase for that product was the small DeWalt impact driver. I had been using a DeWalt drill for predrilling holes and driving stainless screws, and I was spending a *lot* of time swapping bits and drivers.

So I picked up the DeWalt impact driver halfway through...it's a nice little driver with a surprising amount of power.

...I've got a growing collection of that yellow XR stuff.

...and an old 1/2" Milwaukee cordless impact gun I bought for autocross and still use for seasonal tire changeover.

cmbicycles
01-14-2022, 10:12 AM
The nice thing about Mikwaukee chargers is they have a slot for both 18v and 12v batteries, so it's one charger for both tools (I have drills and drivers for both) although only one will charge at a time on the basic charger. I built a mini barn using their 18v tools (saw mostly) and used 12v impact occasionally as well. The smaller stuff is what I usually reach for first and the 12v impact (pre-fuel, so a little less power) doesnt struggle with most fasteners and is great for bike disc rotor bolts. For loosening disc bolts it's great... tightening you need to be a little judicious in how hard it hits.

kppolich
01-14-2022, 10:17 AM
While I've heard good things about the new DeWalt Atomic impact, I'll take my M18 with 3.0 all day long for stuff around the house.

C40_guy
01-14-2022, 10:25 AM
While I've heard good things about the new DeWalt Atomic impact, I'll take my M18 with 3.0 all day long for stuff around the house.

I've heard good things about that stubby!

climbgdh
01-14-2022, 10:46 AM
Can’t go wrong with Milwaukee. Have lot’s of battery powered tools here in home shop which have always worked great plus I use them in a heavy industrial setting. Very reliable and long battery life.

Matt92037
01-14-2022, 11:37 AM
Check out the M12 stubby Impact Wrench (1/2"). I went with an M18 Mid Torque Impact but people swear by the stubby + a 6ah battery.

This kit with the 1/2" impact is lethal!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-Impact-Wrench-2598-22-2554-20/313167101

Good call, I just saw the deals youre talking about. They look promising. I feel like im gonna go with M12 (Fuel).

The only reason id want M18 is for the occasional need for something heavy duty like installing a tow hitch on a car with tons of rust... I tried doing that by hand a few years ago and it was not possible. Tried different holes for a couple hours.. didnt work. Had to have my truck mechanic buddy come over with his honkin impact wrench and he zipped em in in a couple mins. BUT i havent needed it since, so thats not enough for me to invest in 18v.. Plus im not building houses over here.

Gsinill
01-14-2022, 12:40 PM
Can’t go wrong with Milwaukee. Have lot’s of battery powered tools here in home shop which have always worked great plus I use them in a heavy industrial setting. Very reliable and long battery life.

I would make the exact same statement for Makita.

fmradio516
01-14-2022, 03:09 PM
Check out the M12 stubby Impact Wrench (1/2"). I went with an M18 Mid Torque Impact but people swear by the stubby + a 6ah battery.

This kit with the 1/2" impact is lethal!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-W-Impact-Wrench-2598-22-2554-20/313167101

That looks like an awesome deal... tempting!!

fmradio516
02-04-2022, 08:27 AM
Well it looks like Black Friday isnt necessarily the best time to grab this stuff... ok it probably is, but they had some smoking deals at home depot last week and i bought waaaay more than i should have.. lots of "Free tool" hacks

Now I just need to decide which i wanna keep and return of the M18 and M12 fuel drill/drivers i ordered. Got both for stupid cheap but doesnt make sense to keep both.

Honestly the M18 Surge driver i got is so compact, i dont know if there would be a reason to go to M12..

rwsaunders
02-04-2022, 08:52 AM
I only have two Milwaukee cordless tools that I use for my home projects and I stayed with M18, as I can interchange the batteries between the drill/impact driver and the circular saw.

deluz
02-04-2022, 11:27 AM
I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel.
It came as a bundle with drill and batteries.
I have not used the impact driver much but when I did it worked great.
Drill also worked great. I really just wanted the drill but the price for the bundle was a much better deal. Seems like really quality stuff although not made in USA anymore (what is?)