PDA

View Full Version : OT: Car key fobs

vav
12-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Quick question...are key fobs designed/programmed to fail at the same time.
My wife's 2014 CRV key fob is not working and mine either. We got both keys from the dealer 6 years ago. She uses it everyday and I use it occasionally.
Something else I might be missing here?
Thanks

pdmtong
12-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Replace the fob batteries

122294m040
12-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Probably the battery inside. Over time it just kinda runs out of juice regardless of you use it or not. Or at least that's my understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wc1934
12-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Probably the battery inside. Over time it just kinda runs out of juice regardless of you use it or not. Or at least that's my understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

yup. I have 2 - one used daily, and the other sat in a drawer as the spare. First one died (battery) and shortly thereafter the spare did as well.
6 years - you did great. mine died after 2. On my HRV I used the spare key to open the first one - saw it on utube.

FlashUNC
12-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Dead battery. Easy fix.

AngryScientist
12-20-2019, 05:18 PM
i would say it's not a little bizarre for them to fail at exactly the same time. might be something other than a battery sway in play here.

is this a car with an actual key or is keyless push button start?

my wife's (honda) key with integrated fob thingy fell apart after daily use over 4 years. found a knock-off body on amazon which is made way better than the original unit. easy DIY fix on that one.

Malinois
12-20-2019, 05:31 PM
Replace the fob batteries

Did this to a Prius fob literally moments before seeing this thread. Took all of 3 minutes including searching for a small flathead and opening the battery packaging. Super easy.

Veloo
12-20-2019, 05:45 PM
My 2013 Subaru fobs are intermittently not working these days even with new batteries. There are cheap ones on eBay and reprogramming instructions on Youtube. I think new they are over $200. eBay ones way cheaper.

Ken Robb
12-20-2019, 06:14 PM
My wife's 2014 CRV key fob is not working and mine either. We got both keys from the dealer 6 years ago. She uses it everyday and I use it occasionally.
Thanks

The battery in the fob we use almost all the time died several months ago. The one in the fob that is rarely used died last month. These are for our 2014 Mazda 3. Now that I think about this I realize that these are proximity fobs that normally don't require pushing any buttons to unlock and lock the doors and ignition. This suggests that they are transmitting all the time so they activate locks and ignition when they are near the car. Unlike remote controls in older cars which needed buttons to be pushed I guess we should expect the batteries to die at about the same time whether we use both fobs or not.

dvs cycles
12-20-2019, 06:19 PM
ThanksPush button start?
I keep the fob for my wife's RAV4 in my truck but put it to sleep so the battery does not drain. For Toyota you hold down the lock and hit unlock twice and see 4 flashes of the red led on the fob.

cmbicycles
12-20-2019, 06:27 PM
My 2013 Subaru fobs are intermittently not working these days even with new batteries. There are cheap ones on eBay and reprogramming instructions on Youtube. I think new they are over $200. eBay ones way cheaper.I have the same problem on my 02 Outback, and as an added bonus my key wont unlock the rear hatch anymore either. Relatively minor inconveniences although usually magnified when I have my hands full or am in a hurry.

eddief
12-20-2019, 06:37 PM
how do you start the car? probably good to know.

never knew until I googled on how to do it with my 2016 VW Sportwagen.

Cat3roadracer
12-20-2019, 06:44 PM
"Technology will save us if it doesn't kill us first."

makoti
12-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Hold the fob to a spot on the steering column/dash, press button as usual.

R3awak3n
12-20-2019, 07:02 PM
6 years? I replace my battery every year

rounder
12-20-2019, 07:57 PM
I do not know about Honda but we just changed the battery in my wife's A4 remote with a 2032 round battery. She said there was an alert on the dash (I did not see it) that the battery was low, so we pulled the remote apart and swapped out the battery.

alancw3
12-21-2019, 04:22 AM
I do not know about Honda but we just changed the battery in my wife's A4 remote with a 2032 round battery. She said there was an alert on the dash (I did not see it) that the battery was low, so we pulled the remote apart and swapped out the battery.

Same with my 2015 Chrysler Town and Country. Alert on dash. 2032 battery three minute job.

vav
12-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Well, almost too embarrassed to follow up but I am such a dummy. I guess one of my kids left the rear door half open and when this happens the fob does not lock or unlock...duh! This morning I noticed the door and as soon as I closed it, both fobs work fine :) even after 6 years...

dvs cycles
12-21-2019, 06:18 PM

On Toyotas hold it touching the bezel around the start button and start as usual.