PDA

View Full Version : OT: Latex based mattress

skiezo
12-20-2019, 03:09 PM
So our bedding set is at least 15 years old and has a indentation where my hips land. It is a good mattress,upper end sterns and foster but nothing last forever.
We are both side sleepers and I was looking into the latex based mattresses.
We are looking to stay under 2 for a medium firm. I found a couple websites that manufacture both pure latex as well as latex hybryds.
Any latex sleepers out there? I would like to hear what you think about them and how long have you owned one.
Thanks Brian

eddief
12-20-2019, 04:08 PM
when i was looking i strongly considered something from these guys:

https://sleepez.com/pages/compare-our-mattresses?gclid=CjwKCAiA__HvBRACEiwAbViuU1iabVwXs jqB4-NXBg9E7UdgkHn_Djgk9Dw_bwciwNvHEyyGz1FYCBoCHA8QAvD_ BwE
https://sleepez.com/products/natural-latex-mattress/

but then one of my neighbors was moving and had an organic latex mattress that was simply a big slab 9 inches thick for which she sewed a custom zipper cover. i already had a wooden platform from my previous mattress. she sold it to me and i have been on it ever since. i don't have anything to compare it to but it suits me just fine. if anything it may sleep a little warm but i have it covered with mattress pad so no bother really.

thing is the mofo weighs a ton so it definitely stays put and would take 2 strong guys to move it.

HenryA
12-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Have had a Tuft and Needle mattress for about a year now and love it. I may not completely understand your question about a “latex” mattress but maybe this answers your question.

Andy340
12-20-2019, 05:54 PM
https://spindlemattress.com/products/latex-mattress?variant=283570538

Have one of these - like it a lot, no issues - bought it when living in MA so could call out and check firmness etc

Hawker
12-20-2019, 05:59 PM
We've had a king sized one for about fifteen years. Solid latex rubber and as others have mentioned....very, very heavy. Nothing wrong with that, but you are not moving it anywhere by yourself.

Ours has a soft side and a firm side...but really it feels more like a firm side and a firmer side. This is not soft cushy feel at all but comfortable. We have a fairly soft and thick mattress cover and that seems to work well.

The only downside is that this mattress doesn't breathe at all. This is solid rubber and tends sleep a bit on the warm side. Not horribly so, but you might notice it in the summer and perhaps sleep with fewer layers than normal.

Our sits on box springs instead of a wooden frame and it seems to work well. It also provides a bit more "bounce" to the overall feel of the bed.

Last, when we bought ours...it was more expensive than standard mattresses but supposedly this is offset by the longevity of the mattress. Good luck.

Likes2ridefar
12-20-2019, 06:13 PM
We’ve had a Casper for quite a few years now and love it. Last year we gave it to our daughter after winning a king size tuft and needle in a raffle. We got their most expensive model I am forgetting the name now...

Both are great and I’m not sure I could pick if I had to recommend one. The Casper is slighter firmer on top but overall they sleep pretty similar.

eddief
12-20-2019, 06:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVb-8hGSQt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps9zFOZNYM4

buddybikes
12-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Good mattress pad takes care of any heat issues, also consider a cotton or wool topper. We went with a latex hybrid - springs covered by latex then wool from nest bedding. It is lighter, so we actually strap it to our metal frame. 3 years now going well.

yngpunk
12-20-2019, 07:44 PM
So our bedding set is at least 15 years old and has a indentation where my hips land. It is a good mattress,upper end sterns and foster but nothing last forever.
We are both side sleepers and I was looking into the latex based mattresses.
We are looking to stay under 2 for a medium firm. I found a couple websites that manufacture both pure latex as well as latex hybryds.
Any latex sleepers out there? I would like to hear what you think about them and how long have you owned one.
Thanks Brian

You're asking to go down a rabbit hole...:help:

I found www.themattressunderground.com to be a good resource.

Heisenberg
12-20-2019, 08:03 PM
i have a casper wave hybrid (springs+foam, per above).

it's a bit higher than your budget, ($2500), but it is rather...um, amazing. best sleep ever. fancy hotel beds are now disappointing.

CDollarsign
12-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Get an avocado mattress and be done with it.

blantonator
12-20-2019, 10:26 PM
I have a sleep on latex (soft) and its still pretty firm. I have another 2" topper on it and helps a lot.

Louis
12-20-2019, 10:31 PM
I very much doubt anyone here is likely to go this route, but my $100 futon is over 5 years old (not exactly sure on the purchase date, but it was a while ago) and it's still great. My "bed" consists of a few 2"x 8" boards cut to match the width, with some 2" spacers between them so they don't move around.

I can't for the life of me figure out why people spend so much money on beds and mattresses. Think of all the money you could save to use on fancy bike parts...

Rpoole8537
12-21-2019, 04:40 AM
We’ve had a Casper for quite a few years now and love it. Last year we gave it to our daughter after winning a king size tuft and needle in a raffle. We got their most expensive model I am forgetting the name now...

Both are great and I’m not sure I could pick if I had to recommend one. The Casper is slighter firmer on top but overall they sleep pretty similar.

I sleep on a Casper when I visit my son and his family. I'm not sure which model he purchased, but it sure sleeps nicely. I have slept on older Themopedic (sp), and found them a bit harsh. I hear they have improved, and have more options. We live in the warm and humid south, so the latex seems like a better fit for our climate. I may try the Sleep Number bed next time. Consumer Reports likes even their entry level model. If it starts to leak, I may try tire sealant???

cloudchaser
12-21-2019, 07:55 AM
I also have a Spindle for almost 2 years now. I find it very comfortable. In the winter it starts out cold, a lot of thermal mass there that takes a while to warm up. I prefer latex for the springiness as opposed to the molding affect of memory foam. I am an "active" sleeper, so the latex responds faster for me.
Spindle treated me exceptionally well over an order discrepancy. Latex and Spindle both get thumbs up from me.

CO_Hoya
12-21-2019, 09:11 AM
We have a queen Latex mattress that consists of a 2x2 stack of Latex slabs, 3” each with a single 3” Latex slab on top. The slabs range from soft to very firm, allowing each side to have its own firmness.

Very satisfied after about 6 years.

metalheart
12-21-2019, 09:26 AM
We have had latex mattresses from Flo Beds (https://www.flobeds.com) since 2001 and we refreshed one layer in 2014. My wife is a warm sleeper so something that breathes well and allows for us to adjust the firmest on each side has worked out very well. Like CO-HOYA ours are slabs of different firmness that can be layered to get just the right comfort for each person.

roguedog
12-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Been on my latex mattress for about 5 years. Bought locally (Nest bedding) so I could change out the top layers if it turned out to be too firm or too soft. I kinda like that tuneability.

Mine is comprised of about 5 layers of 2 or 3 inch slabs of a mix of dunlop and talalay latex, I think. I can't recall now.

Latex is cooler than memory foam and supposedly, is also bug resistant (mites, etc). Supposedly eco-friendly and renewable which I thought was a cool perk. Anyway, I stayed away from foam since I'd heard it slept hot and again, latex was supposed to be more breatheable than foam.

Yes, like others have said, it's heavy.

And yes, I totally went down the rabbithole and read thru mattressunderground.

Overall, pretty happy with mine.