PDA

View Full Version : Selling tires advice(automobile)

Dromen
12-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Too far away from my expertise....

Trying to help a family that suffered an unexpected loss. They are trying to move/sell after market winter tires that were on a leased Mercedes Sedan(2019 in think). Guess they are higher-end based on the looks of the vehicle and my friends finer taste in all things with wheels. Any suggestions on where to find worthy buyers with forum-like credibility?

Not trying to sell here, just looking for an avenue to find interested parties.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.

C40_guy
12-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Too far away from my expertise....

Trying to help a family that suffered an unexpected loss. They are trying to move/sell after market winter tires that were on a leased Mercedes Sedan(2019 in think). Guess they are higher-end based on the looks of the vehicle and my friends finer taste in all things with wheels. Any suggestions on where to find worthy buyers with forum-like credibility?

Not trying to sell here, just looking for an avenue to find interested parties.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.

I've had good success on both Craigslist and on FB Marketplace. While they could also try a MB forum, they'll run into the issue of remote buyers, and shipping costs will kill any deal. Some automotive forums, by the way, have regional subforums, and posting there may be useful.

veggieburger
12-20-2019, 10:52 AM
FB Marketplace.

This has been good for us. I suspect the element of slightly less anonymity dissuades tire kickers.

azrider
12-20-2019, 10:53 AM
CL and Marketplace as others have mentioned. OfferUp is slowly becoming a favorite also

Dromen
12-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Thx C40. Forgot to add they are mounted on aftermarket wheels.

AngryScientist
12-20-2019, 11:26 AM
since you are in a big city you will have no problem re-homing those.

i'm a vw/audi and BMW guy, but if you do a little google research, i guarantee there is prevailing mercedes enthusiast forum. these usually have regional classifieds sections, which is what you want for heavy wheels and tires. i'd check that out.

brand specific car forums, especially euro cars are usually a very strong community.

p nut
12-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Fortunately, you are selling at the right time of the year. You should have no issues moving these, as long as they're priced right. As mentioned, CL would be my suggestion.

likebikes
12-20-2019, 11:37 AM
craigslist, 1/2-1/3 of new retail price.

C40_guy
12-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Thought you might enjoy the text I've used in the past to sell wheels/tires. Note the specific wheel and tire details, and the request to figure out whether they'll fit before contact... :)

Multiple good photos, of the wheels and the tires, are important...

And even with that, I ended up selling this set to a guy that needed longer wheel bolts and spacers. Found that out in my (home) garage, test fitting them for the buyer... Sigh... :)

Set of four Nokian R2 winter tires, size 225/50 R17, 98R XL load rating.

Mounted on Audi OEM 17" alloy wheels, part # 8K0 601 025C.

These wheels are 8x17, with an ET47 offset.

$599/best offer for the four wheels/tires.

We used them on a 2010 Audi A4 2.0 quattro sedan. The wheels were bought used and the tires were purchased new in November 2017. They have approximately 9,000 miles on them, and are showing 8/32nd of tread.

Tires are in great shape, with no uneven wear or any patches. The wheels are in good shape, no bends or cracks. Mounted and balanced, ready to go. No hub caps included.

Winter is coming. If you bought this set up new, it would run more than $2,000. The tires alone cost $900, mounted and balanced.

Nokian is considered to make the world's best snow / winter tires, ranking above Michelin, Blizzak, Dunlop, Gislaved and the others. I run only Nokian winter tires on all of our cars.

Please do your research before contacting me to make sure that this set will fit on your car. The wheels have a 5x112 bolt pattern, with a center bore of 66.6. Earlier Audis, such as the B5 A4 and the C5 A6, have a center bore of 571. While you can use these wheels on the older cars, you will need an (inexpensive) hubcentric adapter.

While the tires may fit other cars, such as Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, VW, Saab, Jaguar, Ford, Peugeot, etc., the wheels will not. I am selling these as a set and will not separate the wheels and tires.

The set is located in Sandwich, on the Cape. I can meet an interested buyer in the metrowest area, or on the cape. If you are interested, please send me an email, with the year and model of your car in the subject line. I will respond quickly to real people. Special preference given to members of the local Audi community...

If you are a spammer, you will be spanked. You may even be publicly humiliated. Yea, I've heard it all. No wire transfers, no "I'll send someone to pick them up because I'm overseas" yadda yadda... I do not need help selling them. I am not interested in any trades. If you've got a scam that's new and innovative and interesting, sure...give it a shot.

Feel free to use some/all of the above as appropriate. :)