PDA

View Full Version : Bottom brackets recommendations for Easton EA90 / EC90 cranks

slowpoke
12-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Hi Paceline,

What's the "Ultegra" equivalent of a bottom bracket that will work with Easton EA90 or EC90 SL cranks (30mm spindle).

My bike is 68mm BSA.

I know I can get the CK Threadfit 30 + conversion kit, but hesitant to splurge on that unless ya'll think it's the only way.

Thanks!

Kirk007
12-18-2019, 08:11 PM
easton makes one, I may even have one laying around

primov8
12-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Just to name a few... Rotor, Wheels Mfg, Hope, all have BSA BB30 bottom brackets.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2019, 06:35 AM
Hi Paceline,

What's the "Ultegra" equivalent of a bottom bracket that will work with Easton EA90 or EC90 SL cranks (30mm spindle).

My bike is 68mm BSA.

I know I can get the CK Threadfit 30 + conversion kit, but hesitant to splurge on that unless ya'll think it's the only way.

Thanks!

Not the only way but spend some $ on the BB, and not worry about it rather than spend less and put up with creaks and cracks and then replace it early.

Wheels Manufacturing is what I recommend.

Gummee
12-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Praxis makes a BSA threaded BB

I have a Rotor that I bought for some Verve Infocranks (se vende!) that didn't work for the intended application.

M

leftsidedrive
12-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Wheels manufacturing always has my business. They make US made components that are of high quality, readily available, and easily serviceable.

RKW
12-19-2019, 11:51 AM
BBInfinite is the droid you seek.

slowpoke
01-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Ended up going with a Wheels Mfg bottom bracket (BB-BSA30-AC) given oldpotatoe and a few other's recs.

Old School
01-07-2020, 11:23 PM
I was about to say Wheels Mfg, but it sounds like you got the hint.

srsoltis
01-13-2021, 01:21 PM
I have an Easton EA90 crank and have been using Easton/RF BSA30 bottom brackets. Because this bike sees lots of bad weather, I pull the BB a couple times per year. My issue is that the notches on the Easton/RF BB’s are so shallow that tool slides off.

Per the suggestions above, it appears Wheels Mfg is the way to go.

Questions:

1. Is the angular contact version worth the extra $$$ over the APEC 3?

2. Any recommendation on tool style? I plan to go with either Wheel’s wrench or Abbey’s socket. The socket supports a torque wrench, but the wrench looks like it would resist the temptation to slide off. Thoughts?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-wrench-48-5mm-44mm.html

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/bottom-bracket-socket-bsa30-16-notch

Thanks for any and all advice.

tuscanyswe
01-13-2021, 01:24 PM
I have a king bb in a frame with easton ec90 cranks. It still screetch like all other bbs after a seasons use. Pretty lame for the cost imo. I love king hs but wont likely buy another king bb.

I know this is only 1 example and statistically thats ofc nothing but its my experience :) I also think that bb is something that i like to change out every so often and it kinda hurts to exchange them when they cost like a king.

Likes2ridefar
01-13-2021, 01:52 PM
I have a king bb in a frame with easton ec90 cranks. It still screetch like all other bbs after a seasons use. Pretty lame for the cost imo. I love king hs but wont likely buy another king bb.

I know this is only 1 example and statistically thats ofc nothing but its my experience :) I also think that bb is something that i like to change out every so often and it kinda hurts to exchange them when they cost like a king.

Pretty colors. That goes for most all their parts, IMO. If no budget constraints.,,why not? Otherwise, Cane creek headsets for a fraction the price, numerous hub choices that work just as well and require less maintenance/tool cost...and as seen here, bottom brackets that work just as well for a lot less $.

jtbadge
01-13-2021, 01:57 PM

You're definitely right in one aspect, the CK BBs do get noisy pretty fast. But the whole point of the King design is that you can reinject it with clean grease and keep rolling over and over again... if you have the tool. Buying a CK without access to the tool is definitely unwise.

Likes2ridefar
01-13-2021, 02:02 PM
You're definitely right in one aspect, the CK BBs do get noisy pretty fast. But the whole point of the King design is that you can reinject it with clean grease and keep rolling over and over again... if you have the tool. Buying a CK without access to the tool is definitely unwise.

100% agree but how necessary is this? I’ve a praxis bb from 2017 that I haven’t touched once and ride in the dustiest conditions imaginable, and it’s my primary daily ride. Rarely wet though...

kppolich
01-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Kogel - you'll get free pulley wheels too. Buy it nice or buy it twice.
https://www.kogel.cc/collections/bsa-bottom-brackets-for-mountain-bikes/products/bsa30-for-386evo-rotor-raceface-easton-and-campagnolo-over-torque?variant=34781446666

slowpoke
01-19-2021, 04:07 PM
Questions:

1. Is the angular contact version worth the extra $$$ over the APEC 3?

2. Any recommendation on tool style? I plan to go with either Wheel’s wrench or Abbey’s socket. The socket supports a torque wrench, but the wrench looks like it would resist the temptation to slide off. Thoughts?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-wrench-48-5mm-44mm.html

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools/products/bottom-bracket-socket-bsa30-16-notch

Thanks for any and all advice.

I can't speak on angular contact bearings, but regarding your second question, I'd get a socket head adapter. The regular Wheels Mfg BB tool may not be long enough to get enough leverage. With the 3/8" BB tool, you can use a breaker bar and wrench the BB cup off in a controlled manner, without needing to put all your body weight on it.

srsoltis
01-19-2021, 04:58 PM
I can't speak on angular contact bearings, but regarding your second question, I'd get a socket head adapter. The regular Wheels Mfg BB tool may not be long enough to get enough leverage. With the 3/8" BB tool, you can use a breaker bar and wrench the BB cup off in a controlled manner, without needing to put all your body weight on it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't considered leverage.

RWL2222
01-19-2021, 05:44 PM
I just bought the Wheels angular contact bearings setup. For the $20+ difference in cost from the ABEC bearings, I am happy to get their best efforts for durability.

srsoltis
01-19-2021, 07:49 PM
I just bought the Wheels angular contact bearings setup. For the $20+ difference in cost from the ABEC bearings, I am happy to get their best efforts for durability.

Good point. Wheels gives the angular contact bearings five durability stars versus only three, though I'll let the price be my guide.