PDA

View Full Version : OT: decent birding binoculars

eddief
01-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Just starting out at birding. Never owned good pair of binos. What would be a cost effective middle of the road brand and model of binos to purchase?

I hear 8 by 40 is a good place to start. Considering something around $200.

Kane
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I got some Steiner (German and very nice) binoculars from 'sierratradingpost.com'. They were small, lightweight 8x22 for $90. (8 is the magnification number and the second number (22mm in my case) is the width of the lense and it is proportional to the amount of light that the binoculars let in. You probably don't want to magnify anymore than 8 and depending on the distance that you view from you may want a '7' power magnification.

Cheers,

Kane

harlond
01-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a pair of Celestron Ultimas that are pretty good, and they are under $200. But my wife has a pair of Swift Audubons with ED glass that absolutely blow the Celestrons out of the water. They'll probably run you around $350.

At any rate, some research here should repay you: http://www.betterviewdesired.com/

He seems to like the Swift Ultralites, which might be more in your range.

lemondsteel
01-04-2007, 01:37 PM
I have used Leica 8x20 Trinovids and swear by them. They've been knocked around for 20+ years and still function perfect. All the other binos I tried felt like they were sucking my eyeballs through them. They aren't cheap $450+ new and used on ebay for around your mark of $250+. You will never regret buying a GOOD pair. Not knocking Steiner... but I had a friend compare his Steiners to mine and he was floored by the clairity (sp?) and no color fringing. There are some good reviews under a search for binoculars and bird watching. Good Luck!

rnhood
01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I have the classic 8X30 Nikon "E" class binoculas. They are well respected in the bird watching circles and provide a starkly clear and rich image. The new "E" model is suppose to be even better optically but, I doubt it is any better made.

adavis
01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Consumer Reports has a review of binculars in this month's edition.

billrick
01-04-2007, 02:44 PM
If you ever come across a pair of Optolyths, check them out. Not well known, but extremely high quality glass.

:)

palincss
01-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Just starting out at birding. Never owned good pair of binos. What would be a cost effective middle of the road brand and model of binos to purchase?

I hear 8 by 40 is a good place to start. Considering something around $200.

This may be a good place to look: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

palincss
01-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Consumer Reports has a review of binculars in this month's edition.

And not without some controversy:

Consumer Reports Evaluates Binoculars -- Poorly
January 2006 Issue

When I go to Consumer Reports, I assume that the people who evaluate refrigerators, cars, computers, or whatever actually USE those products and know what they're talking about. But after reading "A Close Look at Binoculars" in their January issue, I wonder. They compared what looks like a completely random yet very small sample of 8x and 10x binoculars, and seemed to make no distinction optically between 20 and 21 mm pocket binoculars and 42mm standards. Their "Best Buy" in 10x were Pentax DCF HR II 10x42, which are quite good, but not necessarily superior to other models at that price--models that they didn't even look at. But I'm mystified why they made the Olympus 8x21 RC I a "Best Buy." Really. These are decent cheap pocket binoculars, but your eyes would get SO tired using them for any length of time. They provide very little light--imagine using them to see owls, or watch birds in low light! These are honestly NOT birding binoculars except maybe as an emergency-auxiliary backup when you really want something tiny. Meanwhile, they didn't even look at such models as the Nikon Action EX's, which are a wonderful buy. And it appears they didn't look at the Celestron Nobles, or a single one of the Vortex or Zhumell models.

I've evaluated some binoculars at Laura's binocular reviews, and the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology's evaluations are based on a lot more care and study than these Consumer Reports ones seem to be. Go figure.

Interestingly, the photo they show next to this so-called "Best Buy" is an albino hummingbird. But the caption doesn't mention that. One of my pet peeves is when optics companies use poorly chosen photos in their ads--Zeiss uses a somewhat blurry picture of a Blue Jay in one magazine ad and it drives me nuts because it's advertising one of the finest binoculars ever made, their Victory FL binoculars. You get such a beautiful, crisp, bright, vivid view through these binoculars that the photo should SHOW this. Hummingbirds in normal plumage are vividly colored. Since there's no indication in the text that this bird is an aberrant one, the photo in Consumer Reports seems to indicate that with their choice, things will look really really washed out. Apparently they are as unfamiliar with birds as they are with binoculars.

I really did expect more from Consumer Reports. I suspect the hundreds of people waiting for back-ordered pocket binoculars are going to be disillusioned when they finally arrive, too.

-- http://www.binoculars.com/cr.html

JohnS
01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Do you want full size or compact? I'd get either 8x or 10x. The Nikon Prostaff ($150ish) and Travelite (app. $80-90) are really good compacts. They compare very favorably with the Steiners. For full size (8x or 10x42), I'd try the Leupold Cascades or Nikon Monarchs. They run about $280. The thing to remember is that magnification isn't everything. Clarity is as important. While trying them out, try to find some small lettering at a distance. The ones make it the easiest to read are the ones you want. Remember that Euopean bino prices are skewed by the weak dollar right now.

billrick
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
This may be a good place to look: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Thanks for posting this article, Steve. Now that is the kind of review I like to read! (I cancelled my Consumer Reports subscription years ago.) I was interested to see that my fave Optolyth scored at the bottom of the image quality scale in all categories. My Optolyths are nearly 20 years old now, so I guess things change and progress marches on.

:)

adavis
01-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I am surprised by the review of the Consumer Reports review. I had alway thought they were good at what they did. We have always had good luck with their recommendations. Maybe bincoculars aren't their thing....

JohnS
01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I am surprised by the review of the Consumer Reports review. I had alway thought they were good at what they did. We have always had good luck with their recommendations. Maybe bincoculars aren't their thing....I gave up on Consumer Reports about 20 years ago. i bought their annual car rating guide and they gave good quality ratings to the Mazda MX6 and panned the Ford Probe. The only problem is that they were mechanically the same car and both were built on the same line in Level Pebble, MI.

catulle
01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Check Cabela's. Whatever you do, make sure that the second number is at least the first number multiplied by 4. For instance, 8 X 32. The 8 X 40 is great because more magnification (8) results in less "stability" (the object "vibrates" on the scope). A 10 power will bring you the subject closer but you need to hold the binoculars very steady or else the pictures "vibrates" too much. Marine binoculars are great for the outdoors (hunting, birdwatching...) because they are very stable and water resistant. A marine Minolta or Nikon at 8 X 40 (or 42) would be great.

crf
01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I second the NIkon 8x30 E. The more expensive one is the 8x32 Superior E ($600), which competes favorably with binoculars twice its price (like Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski). If you need water proofing, then you'll have to go with a roof prism model (top ones are over $1K), but if that doesn't matter, you can go with a porro prism model like either of the two Nikons. Porro prism binoculars actually produce more of a 3D image in close viewing (say, under a hundred feet). The difference between the E and Superior E isn't that great: maybe the SE has slightly more sharpness and color fidelity. Nikon also has some great roof prism binoculars, but they're up around $1K -- a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the German equivalents, though.

Most important, though, is how steady you can hold the different magnifications. I really can't hold 10x or 12x without getting a headache. 8x is about tops for me. But if you can hold the higher magnifications well, the more magnification the better (usually). One drawback of higher magnification is that the field of view will be narrower.

One more note about the Nikons (porros): if you wear glasses, the eyecups need to be folded down about half way or else you'll get frequent black-out. But that may be true for all binoculars.

B&H is a good source for optics, but I'd try to buy locally if possible (so you don't have to go through a shipping merry-go-round, if not happy).

crf
01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure, but I think marine binoculars (usually porro prism) have focusing around both eyepieces, rather than between the barrels, which makes quick focusing a challenge (if not impossible). Apparently the middle focusing would make them vulnerable to water (on the high seas). Plus, at sea, most viewing is done at infinity.

But the Fuji marine binoculars (the 7x in particular) have amazing glass.

crf
01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh, yeah, last one.

The higher the second number in relation to the first number, the brighter the view will be. 8x40 will be brighter than 8x30. But brighter binoculars are usually heavier.

The old Zeiss 7x42 binoculars are like night goggles from what I hear.

catulle
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure, but I think marine binoculars (usually porro prism) have focusing around both eyepieces, rather than between the barrels, which makes quick focusing a challenge (if not impossible). Apparently the middle focusing would make them vulnerable to water (on the high seas). Plus, at sea, most viewing is done at infinity.

But the Fuji marine binoculars (the 7x in particular) have amazing glass.

With marine binoculars you don't have to adjust as much as with regular ones because the range of focus is much greater on marine binoculars.

little.man
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I do not bird, but my colleague does and he is a bird bander as well. His recommendation is
to check out the website eagleoptics: http://www.eagleoptics.com The website has a buying guide and competitive prices. They also have avid birders working for them, so should also be able to answer questions if you call.

Good luck.

Mark

little.man
01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Also, he recommended 8x, like another poster on here, nothing stronger. And full size, not compact. He said that eagleoptics has their own brand, which is pretty decent.

terry b
01-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I've been birding for a little over 30 years and have gone through many, many pairs of binocs. Like bikes, many often start cheap and then end up upgrading time and time again until you've spent far more than you would have if you'd just started out with a better pair.

Good advice in many of these threads, particularly about reading the reviews at betterviewdesired. I've used his advice for years.

You do want to try and start with pair that has an coefficient of at least 4-5. (lens/power) The higher the number, the more light gathering capability which makes the binocs more versatile at the times of day when you're going to be out in the field - dawn and dusk.

When it comes to size, for a beginner I'd really try and stay away from compacts. They're just not that easy to use to find birds. I have a pair of Leica 8x20 that I travel with, and while they work and are great optically, they're just plain harder to use.

Roof prism is a good choice for a beginner, waterproof and they offer some heft in the hands. Swift Ultralite 929 is a nice option at the top end of your price range. Bausch and Lomb have a few options also.

Porro prism binocs generally offer good value, but they're not usually waterproof which can be a problem depending on where you bird. I have two pairs of Swift Audubons which are wonderful glasses, but in a seriously humid location, they will fog up.

Lots and lots of choices, my only suggestion - if you're serious about birds as a hobby, spend a bit more and get a better pair. When it comes to binocs, you do get what you pay for. I have almost 30 years on my Leica Trinovids and they're just as nice as the day I took them out of the box.

You can do a little window shopping here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swift-binoculars.html

Jäger
01-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Call me penny wise and dollar foolish... I own a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x42mm Binoculars, and though it was a bit of a stretch on the wallet, I don't regret it for one minute. Our house backs up to a wetlands and I really enjoy the view out the back of the house. (Particularly starting in the fall in the evenings with the sun at my back from the West) the wetlands light up with all sorts of wildlife including numerous deer.

The view from the back deck:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/846875/BACKYARD.jpg

saab2000
01-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Call me penny wise and dollar foolish... I own a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x42mm Binoculars, and though it was a bit of a stretch on the wallet, I don't regret it for one minute. Our house backs up to a wetlands and I really enjoy the view out the back of the house. (Particularly starting in the fall in the evenings with the sun at my back from the West) the wetlands light up with all sorts of wildlife including numerous deer.

The view from the back deck:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/846875/BACKYARD.jpg

Jaegermeister,

Where in Minnesota is that? You are right about the amount of winter wildlife in the Midwest. Birds, deer, rabbits, squirrels, everything! Nice back yard view!

Jäger
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Jaegermeister,

Where in Minnesota is that? You are right about the amount of winter wildlife in the Midwest. Birds, deer, rabbits, squirrels, everything! Nice back yard view!

saab2000, can't ya read the water tower in the picture?!? :D

I live in Shorewood. (Far Western suburbs of Mpls. out by Lake Minnetonka). Thanks!

terry b
01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I have that some pair and they are my regular "out in the field" glasses. Like them even better than my Trinovids.

Jäger
01-07-2007, 09:38 AM
saab2000, Did you live in Minnesota at one time?

terry b
01-07-2007, 11:31 AM
saab2000, Did you live in Minnesota at one time?

Never.

CO, NY, MA, OR, NM but never MN.